• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I got a one for black Friday and after getting an extention cord to compete the installation I played a bit of the playroom demo with astro bot (the platformer)

Is it supposed to be a bit blurry? Like, is there anything that's supposed to be sharp? I noticed it's sharper in the center than on the sides but even then, it was like I couldn't get what was in the center to focus?

I'll try again today but I hope it works better.
It's always going to be a bit blurry, I saw it described as looking at a giant CRT screen here which is a pretty good description.

It's just an inevitability of looking at a 1080p screen inches from your face. But it is a very good 1080p screen.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
These new user impressions give me life. :)
Astro Bot is king, that promised bot. I'm also gonna recommend Polybius in VR cause that one is a real brain tingling audio-visual trip and super fun to play. It also runs at a super sexy smooth 120fps and you can feel it.
/YES, AMEN!

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
I got a one for black Friday and after getting an extention cord to compete the installation I played a bit of the playroom demo with astro bot (the platformer)

Is it supposed to be a bit blurry? Like, is there anything that's supposed to be sharp? I noticed it's sharper in the center than on the sides but even then, it was like I couldn't get what was in the center to focus?

I'll try again today but I hope it works better.
For those uncertain about blurryness, here are a few tips:

1) Make sure there is no protective film still on the lense. Kinda obvious but people sometimes overlook this.

2) Some games are lower res than others. Skyrim and Resident Evil being two of the worst offenders. On the other hand, games like Windlands and Playroom VR run in native 720 so should be your measuring stick for clarity.

3) Most important: focus the PSVR by moving it very slightly up and down on your forehead. Moving the screen forward or in using the slider does not affect focus. You have to have the headset resting on your forehead at the right place to be in the sweet spot for max clarity. People have different heads but for me, i have the rear strap at the base of my skull and lift/lower the headset on my forehead until it's clear (as can be for 720). You'll know when it is when you can almost discern the pixels (screen door effect).

4) Check you IPD setting. This shouldn't affect your clarity but if your IPD is different from the default it may hinder the depth perception and sweet spot placement.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
For those uncertain about blurryness, here are a few tips:

1) Make sure there is no protective film still on the lense. Kinda obvious but people sometimes overlook this.

2) Some games are lower res than others. Skyrim and Resident Evil being two of the worst offenders. On the other hand, games like Windlands and Playroom VR run in native 720 so should be your measuring stick for clarity.

3) Most important: focus the PSVR by moving it very slightly up and down on your forehead. Moving the screen forward or in using the slider does not affect focus. You have to have the headset resting on your forehead to be in the sweet spot for max clarity.

4) Check you IPD setting. This shouldn't affect your clarity but if your IPD is different from the default it may hinder the depth perception and sweet spot placement.

Thanks for these tips but ive tried them all before and they didnt work. Everything remained blurry. I hope the new headset that arrives tuesday will work better. Perhaps i just expected too much but I keep reading the middle point should be clear and its not for me.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
Still having problems when AstroBot moves the camera forward. My head does not like it. Anyway to aliviate this?

Also, getting some image flickering on job simulator at times. You can see that the game is pushing PSVRs room scale capabilities to the max. It's not frequent fortunately.

SuperHot VR is one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. I'm convinced it's one of the best games of all time honestly.

My recommendation would be to try not looking at a fixed object example floor or walls. Your body will perceive that you are not moving much quicker if you look at still objects. Try looking around freaquently and try not to overthink things in VR if you have to do something that you know isn't real , if you don't think that you will feel it in real life, example: Headbutting, looking down vertigo, spinning around, elevating platforms, dropping down, etc.

CKOHLER

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for these tips but ive tried them all before and they didnt work. Everything remained blurry. I hope the new headset that arrives tuesday will work better. Perhaps i just expected too much but I keep reading the middle point should be clear and its not for me.
Do you wear glasses? How is your distance vision? Like, if you sit across a room from a TV can you read it clearly? A common misconception is that people who are nearsighted can use VR because the screen is so close but the truth is that because of the way the lenses work, you actually need better distance vision to see in a VR headset clearly. I have astigmatism and can't see things far away but have clear near vision and I need to wear contacts when using VR.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Do you wear glasses? How is your distance vision? Like, if you sit across a room from a TV can you read it clearly? A common misconception is that people who are nearsighted can use VR because the screen is so close but the truth is that because of the way the lenses work, you actually need better distance vision to see in a VR headset clearly. I have astigmatism and can't see things far away but have clear near vision and I need to wear contacts when using VR.

My sight is great, always has been, never needed glasses or anything.

I've tried everything this weekend, all the tests and recalibration and stuff. Things remain blurry.

As far as I'm concerned there are only two causes:
1) The headset is faulty someway. It came without precaution stickers and with some smudges on the lenses out of the box, even though it was 'new', so who knows. Guess I will find out tuesday when the new headset arrives.
2) Everyone is seeing the blurry games and its just that I thought it had to be sharper. I don't know, we can't look at screenshots to know so there's no way to know if I'm seeing what everyone else is seeing. But Ive read a lot of posts on the internet and they all claim that stuff like the monitor in the shark demo and the controller and robot in Astro Bot should be very sharp, and they are blurry for me. Stuff like the phone in London Heist, the X O and other buttons on the ps4 controller, stuff like that, its all blurry for me. That isn't right, correct?

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I kept all the bags labeled and the seals intact - I don't think PSVR is for me.

It's cool, and Battlezone was fun, but I get nauseous after 10 minutes, it's always fuzzy, and the ring is super tight on the head.

Hopefully someone else can enjoy this one more than I did.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I kept all the bags labeled and the seals intact - I don't think PSVR is for me.

It's cool, and Battlezone was fun, but I get nauseous after 10 minutes, it's always fuzzy, and the ring is super tight on the head.

Battlezone is notorious for giving motion sickness. It is one of the first PSVR titles, when how to design around sickness wasn't really understood.

I have my VR legs, and Battlezone still makes me woozy.

I would definitely recommend trying some other games before giving up.

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Battlezone is notorious for giving motion sickness. It is one of the first PSVR titles, when how to design around sickness wasn't really understood.

I have my VR legs, and Battlezone still makes me woozy.

I would definitely recommend trying some other games before giving up.
Battlezone gave me my VR legs (Battlezone, herb, and some D&B on Spotify), it made me sick at first but then I got over it pretty quickly (couple weeks maybe). YMMV...

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You should not start off with games that have movement. You have to ease into those. If you never done VR your brain has to get used to the fact that nothing you are doing is real

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
the controller and robot in Astro Bot should be very sharp, and they are blurry for me. Stuff like the phone in London Heist, the X O and other buttons on the ps4 controller, stuff like that, its all blurry for me. That isn't right, correct?
It's blurry for me too. When I lift the controller up to my face, it's very blurry.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
With my new psvr i find that its easy to get the center to clear and sharp. Definitely blurrier around the edge but i feel lke i can move my eyes around and still not look into the blurry part.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's blurry for me too. When I lift the controller up to my face, it's very blurry.
This might be hard to explain over the net but you have to align the center of the lens to your eyes. Physically side it up and down on the y axis of your face. You probably will be wearing the headset higher on your face than you think you would. The center of the leases is fairly clear and up close object should be sharp. Unless you wear glasses and not putting them on while playing VR

afrodubs

Oct 27, 2017
Something I forget to mention. A few months after owning my PSVR I decide to redo my IPD, it's comes up a few mm off so I try to measure it with a ruler (lol) and it seems legit.

So I play a few games and I'm like wtf have I been seeing up until that point? Everything is now crisp, noticeably different and improved.

There was I post on Reddit about it and I remember getting into an arguement on there while agreeing with the OP (their account that changing IPD made the display clear). Apparently its not possible because 'that's not what IPD does'.... All I'll say is that it worked for me and some others. Anecdotal I know, but it's worth playing around with the IPD, trying out a few mm +/-

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Battlezone gave me my VR legs (Battlezone, herb, and some D&B on Spotify), it made me sick at first but then I got over it pretty quickly (couple weeks maybe). YMMV...

My go-to game for getting over VR sickness was to repeatedly play Windlands with no comfort settings. A short session every day, slowly ramping up the amount of time spent playing.

I would not recommend that as a general rule, but I'm not gonna lie. I had fun inbetween all the nausea and bursts of sweat. I like the new Spiderman game a lot, but it has nothing on Windlands when it comes to capturing the feeling of swinging yourself between buildings over an endless abyss.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I have a quirk with mine: it necer seems to recenter level. Its always slightly tilted. Is that a flaw? Should i get another one oe try something different? It is actually quite hard to notice once playing but its definitely be there.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017
I have a quirk with mine: it necer seems to recenter level. Its always slightly tilted. Is that a flaw? Should i get another one oe try something different? It is actually quite hard to notice once playing but its definitely be there.

Are you setting the helmet on a flat surface before turning it on? It should be kept level for a few seconds after powering on before putting it on your head. And if you are starting up from rest mode that may cause issues also.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017

I've tried everything this weekend, all the tests and recalibration and stuff. Things remain blurry.

1) The headset is faulty someway. It came without precaution stickers and with some smudges on the lenses out of the box, even though it was 'new', so who knows. Guess I will find out tuesday when the new headset arrives.
2) Everyone is seeing the blurry games and its just that I thought it had to be sharper. I don't know, we can't look at screenshots to know so there's no way to know if I'm seeing what everyone else is seeing. But Ive read a lot of posts on the internet and they all claim that stuff like the monitor in the shark demo and the controller and robot in Astro Bot should be very sharp, and they are blurry for me. Stuff like the phone in London Heist, the X O and other buttons on the ps4 controller, stuff like that, its all blurry for me. That isn't right, correct?

Did you try moving the headset band up and down to see if the image increased sharpness? My headset bandy rest at the ver top of my head to get the ultimate sharpness.

argonsmash

Oct 25, 2017

For 2) Nah it is definitely clear in the center field of view if your headset is positioned and working correctly. At peripheral vision areas it is designed to be a little blurry but turning the head brings those areas into the center field of view and clear.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Are you setting the helmet on a flat surface before turning it on? It should be kept level for a few seconds after powering on before putting it on your head. And if you are starting up from rest mode that may cause issues also.

I just thought of that. There a little timer circle when you turn it on and i think its actually for that. Gonna try it now. Lets see....

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017

Battlezone is the worst game to start with. It made me return my PSVR too. But I've since played games like Superhot that have room level movement and I have little to no problem with those.

But definitely stay away from any games where you move in the game without you moving in real life as that's hard to get used to.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

I'm on my second headset (first one was replaced during waranty) and had this with both. It's only slightly and I only really see it in the PS4 menu when you have a clear edge at the top or bottom.
I'm still not 100% sure if this is a hardware or software issue. When I upgraded to a pro it was not tilted at all, at first. Once I realized it was tilted again I started looking into it. I found this on reddit

Go to Ps4 settings and select "Initialization", select "Restore Default Settings"
This will delete all your setting data including the Camera calibration data. You will retain all your users, saved data, and downloaded games.
DO NOT calibrate camera with "Adjust PlayStation Camera" after this, especially if you have it at the recommend 6ft off the ground.

This does indeed work, but it will tilt again at some point. I also found out that shaking (gently) the unit a bit before starting it seems to eliminate/reduce it, so maybe it also has to do with the gyros in the headset. As it's almost unnoticeable I usually do nothing about it, but when I first noticed it I was a bit obsessed with it.

guys i dont want Astrobot to finish. what do i do? I am on world 3 right now already. game is so amazing

I know that feeling. One of the only games I ever played where I took breaks after each world until the next day just so it didn't end so fast. And going by the OT for the game I was definitely not the only one playing this way.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
It shouldn't be painfully tight on your head. Release the headset with the release button and slowly tighten with the knob if necessary. Also make sure to spend some time with getting a clear picture. Very small up and down movements while on your head makes a difference between blurry and clear. I use the warning text on startup as a calibration. If the text is blurry adjust the headset until it's clear.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
Haha, you need to ease yourself in bit in the beginning. Playing Wipeout in zone mode is a really bad idea for your first session. Start with games that has less movement, and if you start feeling nauseous, stop playing. After a few sessions you'll get used to it.

Haha cheers. It didn't help I had a little puff on some marijuana prior to starting the session and that was my first puff since June.

I went through my PS4 games and there's been a couple free with PS+, namely Until Dawn - Something Blood and Rigs. I also downloaded The Last Guardian VR Demo, Spiderman Homecoming and Stranger Things VR experience. I really can't afford to buy any VR games this side of Xmas and with Era Secret Santa on top of everything else that sneaks up this time of year.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all keep hyping up Astro Bot, and I keep thinking there's no way it's as good as y'all are hyping it up.

It's making me really want to buy it.

BTW, how was the Doom game on VR?

Deleted member 45957

Imo Astro Bot is to VR what was Mario 64 to 3D games : deep understanding of the technology and how to achieve fun experiences with it.
I'm really enjoying Wipeout too, it's everything the young me was dreaming of when playing the originals on PS1. Being prone to transport sickness, I can sustain it without troubles thanks to the multiple VR options.
Skyrim VR is a bit disapointing, quite ugly (playing it modded on PC for years spoiled me I guess). Also it makes me feel dizzy, had to stop after 30min.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on my second headset (first one was replaced during waranty) and had this with both. It's only slightly and I only really see it in the PS4 menu when you have a clear edge at the top or bottom.
I'm still not 100% sure if this is a hardware or software issue. When I upgraded to a pro it was not tilted at all, at first. Once I realized it was tilted again I started looking into it. I found this on reddit

Go to Ps4 settings and select "Initialization", select "Restore Default Settings"
This will delete all your setting data including the Camera calibration data. You will retain all your users, saved data, and downloaded games.
DO NOT calibrate camera with "Adjust PlayStation Camera" after this, especially if you have it at the recommend 6ft off the ground.

This does indeed work, but it will tilt again at some point. I also found out that shaking (gently) the unit a bit before starting it seems to eliminate/reduce it, so maybe it also has to do with the gyros in the headset. As it's almost unnoticeable I usually do nothing about it, but when I first noticed it I was a bit obsessed with it.

I know that feeling. One of the only games I ever played where I took breaks after each world until the next day just so it didn't end so fast. And going by the OT for the game I was definitely not the only one playing this way.

Excellent, thanks! Ill try that.

Its got be a software issue. Why doesnt it reset to level when you recenter the image? Who knows.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony will make a Wipeout game for VR next gen. I didn't know the Wipeout VR mode was good. It was weirdly announced at last years PSX, and I never really heard any buzz for it. Will try it eventually.

VR has got me more hyped for Dreams.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Hey all. I accidentally stepped on the included microfiber cloth (doh!). Is it generally safe to use any other microfiber cloth? And is there a way to clean the included microfiber cloth? Thanks.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Tried the demo for Resident Evil 7.

Will never play that again. Holy moley. Back to Astro Bot.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Off topic, but I'm at this part in Superhot where you have to duck your head, as something is about to hit you. I have no clue how it wants me to avoid it. I try ducking my head, and it just tells me I'm going out of the play area.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all keep hyping up Astro Bot, and I keep thinking there's no way it's as good as y'all are hyping it up.

It's making me really want to buy it.

BTW, how was the Doom game on VR?

It IS that good. Seriously.

Doom is alright, but I wouldn't put it near the top of the list of games to get if you do decide to pick up a headset. If you can get it on a sale you'll probably have fun with it, but there are a lot of better games to prioritize.

Edit: Just realized from your later posts that you already have a PSVR. It says something about how good Astro Bot is that I take it for granted you already own it if you have a PSVR.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
bought REVII for 12€ used, can´t wait for that, the demo was awesome...my favourite horror game is Silent Hill 2 but i think in VR Resident Evil VII could come close to the feeling i had with SH2 .-)

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
The game is $20 at Gamestop
As good of a time as ever to pick it up
https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/astro-bot-rescue-mission-psvr/166414
Thanks. I think I'm biting on Skryim VR for $20 as well. I've never played Skyrim, so that's a good deal.

It IS that good. Seriously.

Doom is alright, but I wouldn't put it near the top of the list of games to get if you do decide to pick up a headset. If you can get it on a sale you'll probably have fun with it, but there are a lot of better games to prioritize.

Edit: Just realized from your later posts that you already have a PSVR. It says something about how good Astro Bot is that I take it for granted you already own it if you have a PSVR.
Just saw it's still $20 on Gamestop. Getting Astro bot.

Doom was $14 on Gamestop. Somewhat thinking of getting it.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Off topic, but I'm at this part in Superhot where you have to duck your head, as something is about to hit you. I have no clue how it wants me to avoid it. I try ducking my head, and it just tells me I'm going out of the play area.

When you duck down the camera might be losing its image of you. Maybe try tilting the camera down.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
For PSVR virgins, I would caution against playing any of these games until you get your "VR legs". These are notorious for inducing nausea:

- Battlezone
- RE7
- Scavenger Odyssey
- that game where you slide down the street at high speed

others I'm forgetting...?

Also don't play more than 30 minutes at the beginning. You will strain yourself.

I used to get a little nauseous when playing too long, but now I never feel ill.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
bought REVII for 12€ used, can´t wait for that, the demo was awesome...my favourite horror game is Silent Hill 2 but i think in VR Resident Evil VII could come close to the feeling i had with SH2 .-)

The thing is that RE is so goofy that there is no way I could ever get scared while playing it. That goes for 7 too. At best ir would be stressful, but not something that would make me actually afraid. Except that when you put on the headset it becomes absolutely terrifying.

I don't know if I could stand to play a game like Alien Isolation in VR. That one scared me while playing it flat.

Doom was $14 on Gamestop. Somewhat thinking of getting it.

14 bucks is a decent price. It's probably worth it. Skyrim is wonderful. It takes a while to get used to the controls with the moves, but it is SO worth it. Using a bow feels great in VR.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
For PSVR virgins, I would caution against playing any of these games until you get your "VR legs". These are notorious for inducing nausea:

- Battlezone
- RE7
- Scavenger Odyssey
- that game where you slide down the street at high speed

others I'm forgetting...?

Also don't play more than 30 minutes at the beginning. You will strain yourself.

I used to get a little nauseous when playing too long, but now I never feel ill.

played 2hours in my first sitting: Rez, Polybius, Wipeout. No problems, but after stopping VR and looking at the TV and laptop they were both unusually "flat" and i felt a bit strange for a few minutes.

next Day i played Battlezone for over an hour. No problems.The one game giving me problems was Transference with free movement, it turns too fast and unnatural, i was like "uhh, snap turn is better than that..." Free Turn in REVII is okay though because it is slower

the real stomach twister for me was RIGS, at first it was good but when being in the training area jumping around, dashing in the air suddenly it was like getting a hot flash and i had to put off my sweatshirt. stopped immediately with this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.