DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
New Haven has pretty good pizza. I didn't eat enough to decide if it's better than NYC though.

Will personally confrim the submarine thing though

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The middle of nowhere CT I grew up in certainly did not have good pizza. We eventually got a decent pizza place when I was in high school but it was just serviceable.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I was joking but just learning all the New England rivalries and also Upstate NY stuff lol. But I am in the Five Colleges area so it's different compared to the actual metro areas.
I'm not sure how Antonio's By The Slice fits into this thread but that was my friends spot for late night drunk dinner while I was at Umass Amherst. I'd recommend some local spots but I, uh, don't remember any...

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I live in CT and will probably never leave Lamont sucks and these signs sucks but atleast the pizza one is right. If anyone says they have better pizza they are wrong.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
20 years in the US and I have never heard of CT pizza.
Youtuber internet foodies have been on it for close to a decade now that i've really noticed.

The new haven white clam has always been on a lot of top pizza lists from my memory for quite a while as a food hound even before the Youtube Pizza Show with Frank from Best Pizza in Brooklyn. That's the one I think that started this new haven is the best pizza campaign.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
What is Connecticut actually the capital of though? In case I visit

kcp12304

Oct 27, 2017
I live outside of New Haven and wouldn't say New Haven pizza is better than NY pizza. Of course it's a stupid debate because 80% of pizza joints in the state serve NY pizza. Much of CT is just a suburb of NYC so it's hard for us to differentiate ourselves from NY.

dots

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how Antonio's By The Slice fits into this thread but that was my friends spot for late night drunk dinner while I was at Umass Amherst. I'd recommend some local spots but I, uh, don't remember any...
Antonio's is the only decent pizza in most of Massachusetts, yeah.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
What is Connecticut actually the capital of though? In case I visit

images

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
We have the best pizza. There's New Haven, obviously, but walk into any pizza place here and you'll likely get a great pizza. Greek pan pizza is common and it's quite good as well.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
Hol up, booking a trip to CT RIGHT NOW. They can't get away with this pizza slander and expect me to NOT fact check this and confirm lol

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'm always happy to rag on CT (though I'll rag on NH more as the Florida of New England) but Frank Pepe's is indeed very legit pizza and the white clam pie is divine.

Just don't leave leftovers, that is NOT a pizza that does well after a night in the fridge.

I know having a regional style has become a thing with everyone trying to have something but credit where credit is due, they deserve their entry.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
When did these signs go up because I just took 84 to visit a friend in Wappingers Falls on Friday and did not see the updated sign on my way back in 🤔

Also fuck Frank Pepe, garbage pizza, Est Est Est 4lyfe as far as New Haven area goes. Mashed potato pizza from them is amazing. We get it all the time at work.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part about my mom's side of the family all migrating out of Connecticut means I haven't had any real reason to go back to the state of my birth since, like, the mid-90s. I should go back one of these days and drag my partner along since she's never been. Definitely gonna get some New Haven pie while I'm there too.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, pizzaheads do know about about New Haven pizza. Never been there to try it though.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I really wish I got the chance to try New Haven Pizza when I was there last year. I didn't even know they had their own style.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I have actually heard CT's regional pizza variant is pretty damn good, but I never spend enough time in the state to find out for sure.
There are some in MA now, we just got from the Frank Pepe's in Watertown last night. It's expensive, but fuck is it good. Better than almost every pizza place in town and I've tried a lot of them.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
My girlfriend is from CT, she's gonna die reading this

Pepes was good when I had it on a visit there, but i'm from NY so lol

Guzim

Oct 25, 2017
Pepe's is great, but my favorite pizza in CT is Modern. Roseland is great too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There are some in MA now, we just got from the Frank Pepe's in Watertown last night. It's expensive, but fuck is it good. Better than almost every pizza place in town and I've tried a lot of them.

Frank Pepe's is awesome. I've also been to the one in Watertown. Right near (in?) the big mall, right?

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
Submarine CAPITAL of the WORLD?

Why?
New London and Groton are home to Electric Boat and the main US sub base. They've built hundreds of submarines there. They built the first nuclear-powered submarine and have a whole bunch of other submarine-related firsts. Almost every kid in the state gets dragged down there to tour the USS Nautilus

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had it but people rave about New Haven style pizza. Signs are funny though.