• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I checked in and saw lots of tags. I'm sorry for being awful before and I've thought deeply about this now in how I cover stuff. Apologies to everyone - really. Some bad things happened that I can't go into prior to the things being discussed...it's complicated. I simply didn't know what to do.

I only came to apologize for it, however. I can't post more beyond this due to the serious mental health/physical issues that arose earlier this year. It's not too bad now but I cannot risk it again - I'm not equipped to deal with it. Especially right now during new consoles. I'm not a strong person, I can admit that. :-(
Take care of yourself first and foremost.
Thank you for the great content you provide, you and the whole DF team.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Congrats to the entire DF team. Their methodical and in-depth approach to testing and measuring stuff is much appreciated and, unfortunately, still rather unique among the video game-related press today. Here's to another million more.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Congrats Rich, John & the crew. I always have DF on during the day while I'm coding and it's really helped me get through the last few months of crunch time. Absolutely adore those folks. (Actually posted this in the RIGHT thread now!)

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I checked in and saw lots of tags. I'm sorry for being awful before and I've thought deeply about this now in how I cover stuff. Apologies to everyone - really. Some bad things happened that I can't go into prior to the things being discussed...it's complicated. I simply didn't know what to do.

I only came to apologize for it, however. I can't post more beyond this due to the serious mental health/physical issues that arose earlier this year. It's not too bad now but I cannot risk it again - I'm not equipped to deal with it. Especially right now during new consoles. I'm not a strong person, I can admit that. :-(

There's nothing to apologize for, you guys put out great and very informative content that actively make the gaming experience better for all consumers. Don't let people bully you into apologizing for doing your job covering game releases and I hope you find the peace you need. All my best wishes to you and everyone in the DF team.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
With so many games on BC to test out, that sounds like so much work i hope you can get through all right. Always love DF retro, the insights are always a treat.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
There's nothing to apologize for, you guys put out great and very informative content that actively make the gaming experience better for all consumers. Don't let people bully you into apologizing for doing your job covering game releases and I hope you find the peace you need. All my best wishes to you and everyone in the DF team.

"Bully".

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
One of few Youtube channels I'm subscribed to. Really like to listen to you folks talking tech/games.
So congrats, hope you grow more.

Would be cool if you could manage to do some HDR video stuff again, if you find the time.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
DF mocking the perceived XSX heating nonsense (in their stream posted here). Rich on point once again.
Rich is always on point, all of them are on point. Enjoyed their stream, I wish they'd do this more often as like a DF podcast. Even if it were only once or twice a month.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
John came out as have to step back from the community because of mental health issues that stemmed from the constant harassment. And that was after he apologized for the whole debacle. Your behavior in this thread, even after he apologized again, is bullying.

Nope, I am just replying to people that are grossly misrepresenting how things went down in the previous thread, like what you're doing right now.

To be clear I am glad that John has reflected on what and how he covers games, I hope that means that development houses made up by bigots aren't getting anymore coverage.

Last edited:

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Nope, I am just replying to people that are grossly misrepresenting how things went down in the previous thread, like what you're doing right now.
I'm not misrepresenting anything. It was made clear by other, more informed users, in that "previous thread", that John had no control over the uploading, delisting, or adding of a disclaimer on the Ion Fury video. It was out of his hands. He apologized for it but people kept harassing him because he is the "face" of DF Retro.

I'll leave it at that. This thread is about celebrating DF's accomplishment.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
I'm not misrepresenting anything. It was made clear by other, more informed users, in that "previous thread", that John had no control over the uploading, delisting, or adding of a disclaimer on the Ion Fury video. It was out of his hands. He apologized for it but people kept harassing him because he is the "face" of DF Retro.

I'll leave it at that. This thread is about celebrating DF's accomplishment.

I was in that thread as well and as other posters have pointed out, the coverage of Voidpoint continued, instead of regurgitating what others have said maybe go look for yourself, because what you're writing and whatever you're basing if off of is a misrepresentation of the situation and nobody on this forum harassed him. What a disgusting narrative you guys are pushing.

AuGanymede

Jun 11, 2020
sensui-tomo Mass Effect Ashlette Kafkaswaffle
Thank you for the explanation and for the provided links. Well, it is sad that this was not properly addressed because John seems like a nice guy and it is hard to believe that he would intentionally promote a game that is openly hostile towards minorities. I saw his post in this thread and to me it is somewhat redeemable, because I can relate to such health problems (irrational decisions, auto destructive drive, withdrawal under pressure, apathy etc. – that's mine, maybe John has something similar, I don't know, just guessing), moreover it seems he will pay additional attention to such content from here on now, so I would give it a rest. All in all I know those DF videos are purely about technical side of things but I would still like to see some kind of annotation in the video description – if reupload is not possible – about the anti-LGBT content, so people could be warned about it.

Oct 30, 2017
Congrats!

They do good work, and DF Retro is easily one of my favorites with my childhood gaming heart of yesteryear.

Still, I'm saddened John had left the forum, he's been with the community through so many versions/moves. First saw John's posts years ago when Gaming-age forums were part of the Gaming-age website, something like 15+ years ago.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
good stuff, I've been enjoying DF content since when someone made a thread about their tests on beyond3d a long time ago, before they used youtube,
their growth with more focus on youtube has been great to watch, the quality of the content and the team is as high as ever, keep up the good work.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I watch their videos all the time, but only subscribed a few weeks ago.

I just hasn't noticed I wasn't subscribed already, haha.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry is one of my favorite channels on Youtube. I've been following them since the PS3/360 days when the only videos they did were raw frame-rate analyses. The written articles with the screenshots were basically all Digital Foundry was.

Now to see them flourishing with an actual somewhat personality-based channel that does not only the things they did before (but better); they've also added some wonderful series like Dark1x's DF Retro and original PC analyses from Dictator. I also just want to point out the incredible work Rich Leadbetter has done through the many many years. He's gotten his share of hate, but his knowledge is second-to-none, and he's become a great presenter too in recent years. Tom has done wonderful work, too, though he doesn't stand at the forefront as much only because he hasn't really adopted the front-facing personality content that the others have; still an invaluable member. It's really pretty remarkable what they've turned the channel into, and I watch ALMOST every video they put out.

Keep up the fantastic work. I have a feeling 2 million is going to come faster than you know it, what with next-gen happening.