Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I can only repeat myself from half a year ago.

Sharing one town was always the strongest part of the games for me and my partner.
The idea alone is super cool, that there is one active town and we both live in it, so if she plays she works on her house and contributes to the town, when I play later I can see what's new in the town and in her house and then work on my stuff.
It's specially useful because you have to wait a shit ton of time to progress certain stuff and when we both play in one town, we can get more done and the "world" feels more alive. That was always so great.

It's how it's always been and it's great.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
So the save data for each account on the Switch is not isolated to that account? Like on PS4, if I create another local account, I expect that starting any game on the new account will be like loading the game for the first time; that is, there will be no save data or any other trace of the game having been played before (I'm not sure if it's even possible for a local PSN account to access any saved data of other accounts on the system?). But it sounds like this is not the case on the Switch?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What I really want to know is if there's any cloud save function. I'd really love to grab a Lite and take my save between that and the regular Switch, but I just don't know if it's possible.

Even if the method for this is something else I'd love to know! Kinda wish it was saved in your Nintendo account...

Jun 2, 2019
So, uh... Both my sister and I have our own switches, but for convenience we usually use mine, wich is usually hooked to my TV.

I guess this is why it doesn't support cloud saves: One switch, one island. Can't say I hate it, it's how it has always been

Oh well, fine. Sorry for my niece a nephew though

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I am oddly in a situation where my partner and I will have our own separate Switches, and I am allowed to play Switch in my downtime at work, so I frequently actually take it with me outside of the house...

I want to share the same island with my partner but my play habits aren't going to make that possible, lol. Like, the OP's implication is that it sucks to be forced into this, and I'm like "PLEASE LET ME SYNC OUR ISLAND OVER THE CLOUD OR SOMETHING I WANT IT"

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I am oddly in a situation where my partner and I will have our own separate Switches, and I am allowed to play Switch in my downtime at work, so I frequently actually take it with me outside of the house...

I want to share the same island with my partner but my play habits aren't going to make that possible, lol. Like, the OP's implication is that it sucks to be forced into this, and I'm like "PLEASE LET ME SYNC OUR ISLAND OVER THE CLOUD OR SOMETHING I WANT IT"

Yep this is what I want / need. Having separate islands because we each have our own switches actually sucks.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So the save data for each account on the Switch is not isolated to that account? Like on PS4, if I create another local account, I expect that starting any game on the new account will be like loading the game for the first time; that is, there will be no save data or any other trace of the game having been played before (I'm not sure if it's even possible for a local PSN account to access any saved data of other accounts on the system?). But it sounds like this is not the case on the Switch?
Yes, it is. But like every other console, games can have a console level settings file(s) that gets shared among every user.

Animal Crossing will store the maps in the shared data, but other info in the normal saves.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What I really want to know is if there's any cloud save function. I'd really love to grab a Lite and take my save between that and the regular Switch, but I just don't know if it's possible.

Even if the method for this is something else I'd love to know! Kinda wish it was saved in your Nintendo account...

Yeah, that's what i'm waiting to hear about aswell.

Nov 8, 2017
Yes, it is. But like every other console, games can have a console level settings file(s) that gets shared among every user.
I don't think I've ever encountered console level save data in any game before. I assumed at least on PlayStation systems that this wasn't supported, since I don't think I've ever played a game in which say, high scores or fastest times of another account on the system would be visible to me on my account (which is the case where such a feature seems to make most sense to me).

I think this is why I find this idea so unusual.

Last edited:

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

The game doesn't support cloud saves in any way. That's already confirmed.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Deep inside, in the darkest depths of your heart, you already know the answer.

Splatoon 2 doesn't have cloud saves, and New Leaf didn't allow you to make a local backup of your save either...

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game doesn't support cloud saves in any way. That's already confirmed.
Bummer. Surely they must know there's a decent audience that would pick up another system if they could jump back and forth between the two. Was gonna grab a Lite for this as it's way more portable but won't bother if I can't put the save up on the TV too without a big mess.

The_Lump

Oct 28, 2017
Seems logical to be honest.

Doesn't affect me either, as we'd be buying a Lite and another copy as my s/o and I like to play AC at the same time/visit each others towns.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, a community style Family Island where everyone lax and chills at their place while building it up to be something everyone contributes to sounds like a fun gimmick in all honesty. Also with a cheaper switch on the way this mindset doubles back to how Kirishima wanted one switch per household member and they will likely succeed.
^this. Its more interesting of a dynamic that way. The benefit of having a unique island is more fun in a multiplayer shared world style that has other live players. Gosh we need a new direct for this game

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, family members can play on the same island, but some like to manage their towns differently than others. It's a needless restriction imo.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Bummer. Surely they must know there's a decent audience that would pick up another system if they could jump back and forth between the two. Was gonna grab a Lite for this as it's way more portable but won't bother if I can't put the save up on the TV too without a big mess.

I don't think that this kind of audience exist, no. That seems just odd and a weird thing to do in general.

I wouldn't call this "way more portable" at all.
switch-vs-switch-lite-unterschied-1.jpg

Just stay with the normal one and you're fine, specially because there are way more games without cloudsave and this problem would appear again.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
Really confused by the reactions here.

This is exactly what we all expected. This is exactly what precious AC games did. I also don't see what the necro bump added other than re-confirming what we knew.

I loved sharing an island with my girlfriend or roommates. That was a huge benefit in previous games.

Old thread title had me worried for a minute and thought they had created a weird gated system for online AC interactions.
A. This was never expected, not from me at least. This is not the same as what previous games did at all.

- Gamecube: need a different memory card for a different town.
- DS: need a new copy of the game for a different town.
- Wii: Only one town because there were no such thing as player profiles.
- 3DS: need a new copy of the game for a different town.
- Switch: Can't use a new copy of the game, can't use a new memory card, but instead you need a new console despite having player profiles unlike the Wii.

Not that I needed different towns anyway, I only kept one, but still.

Moreover, why can't a series evolve? "That's how it's always been" is a shit excuse. I've never had to share a town with someone because the ones I played most (Wild World and New Leaf) were on an individual handheld console. New Horizons is supposed to be a hybrid, which means at least part of the time it's meant to be a home console that's shared with others in the home. That doesn't mean I want to share all my saves with everyone, that's why we have player profiles to separate our save files.

B. Good for you? Some of us live with someone who will utterly take over the save file. Dude played Minecraft on Switch for 100 hours in one week once. Why do I want to buy a game all about personalizing your town to your taste and then just... exist in someone else's grand creation?

Woke up hoping this was a nightmare, but now one of my most anticipated titles in years has all but evaporated from my radar. :(

This is a tragedy because I am unable to cooperate and share a common space with my wife and children.

Nintendo should make the game closer to reality and let us all live in separate towns, like we do IRL
This dismissive strawman is honestly kind of rude. I'm shocked so many people are saying it (or some variation) in here. :\

Nobody is saying they shouldn't have a shared island. They're saying it should be an option to have an individual one. Does that really offend you so much? Not everyone lives the same life as you.

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

No, it works exactly the same as on PS4. Savegames are exclusive to the account that has created such savegame, you can't share it.

It's just related to New Horizon and the decision to allow 1 active island x copy of the game. Honestly I think it's great, it's not like you have to share progress or your house/items, it's that all the accounts on the same Switch are going to live on the same Island. Sounds super cool to me, but maybe not for others.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I wonder if there is a way around this like using an account from a different region.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
I do think this is entirely in the spirit of what animal crossing has always been but i also get the fact that if having multiple towns is really important to you, that is a crazy cost involved to get an additional one.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

The game won't have cloud saves, but the Switch has the functionality to transfer individual saves between two consoles locally which I use all the time. So yeah it's pretty quick and easy to do so.

Oct 26, 2017
Why would they change that? Has been this way since i think the Gamecube? Wasn't it originally done to curb item duplication and save scumming?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The game won't have cloud saves, but the Switch has the functionality to transfer individual saves between two consoles locally which I use all the time. So yeah it's pretty quick and easy to do so.
Oh that's actually awesome! Thank you so much for this info, I see it looks like it works for Pokémon (which also does not do cloud save) so that should work great.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK

You've made me realise something, how is this going to work?

If, in theory, Switch A Profile A makes an Island and has their own villagers, setup etc.
Switch B Profile B makes their own Island, with their own set of villagers and setup, etc.
Transferring Profile B to Switch A... when all Profiles are meant to share an Island?

How does that work?

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
Regardless if people like this, why not give the option?
This is literally all we're asking for. You can have it both ways, an option for a shared island or an individual one. Nobody is trying to stop shared islands. As it stands, this would render the copy I would buy practically unusable to customize my island, since I'd be sharing my town with someone who can (and likely would) play for at least 40 hours more than I could each week.

You've made me realise something, how is this going to work?

If, in theory, Switch A Profile A makes an Island and has their own villagers, setup etc.
Switch B Profile B makes their own Island, with their own set of villagers and setup, etc.
Transferring Profile B to Switch A... when all Profiles are meant to share an Island?

How does that work?
It would likely overwrite Switch A's island.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really how Switch save game data works, so I'm sceptical at the thread's interpretation.

Edit: never mind, missed the update. That's wild. I wonder if the island disappears when you delete the digital version of the game.

Edit2: oh my god, just thinking about all the hoops they had to jump through to make this work. Just wild.

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I don't understand how this is a bad thing tbh. This is how the previous games worked and living on an island together was the best part of playing with someone else.

It would be nice to have the option to have your own unique island if possible but that's a pretty small thing that I bet the vast majority of people wouldn't do.

Hell it would more likely be an annoyance when people did it by accident and had to start again to go live with their friend and stuff like that.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding though

Nov 8, 2017
No, it works exactly the same as on PS4. Savegames are exclusive to the account that has created such savegame, you can't share it.

It's just related to New Horizon and the decision to allow 1 active island x copy of the game. Honestly I think it's great, it's not like you have to share progress or your house/items, it's that all the accounts on the same Switch are going to live on the same Island. Sounds super cool to me, but maybe not for others.
Oh, I'm not opposed to the idea at all. I'm more curious about the technical implications of having some kind of shared save data. As I mentioned in my previous post, this is something that I've never encountered (at least on PlayStation, which is my main system), otherwise I'd expect to have seen at least one game with (for example) high scores or fastest times of other accounts on my system when I'm playing on my own account, as this seems like the most obvious use for such a feature.