• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Solid reviews overall. Karak rating it a buy is the most noteworthy to me.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
really good reviews overall, congrats to the team. some reviews that haven't been posted yet:

Kotaku (no score):
Pixelopus has a clear understanding of what makes a story work, even a story done as many times as this one: bullying, empathy, reconciliation. The fact that the game is gorgeous goes a long way, too. With the amount of love and care poured into the storytelling, I wanted more from the gameplay. If the first part of Concrete Genie were more tightly done, it could have easily been one of my favorite games of the year. But like the fishing town of Denska itself, it faded before I could really appreciate it.

Daily Star (5/5):
Pixleopus has made a triumphant return with Concrete Genie; from your very first brush stroke you'll be so swept away by the colour and narrative that by the time it's over, you'll want to jump right back in again to paint the town red, and blue… and green

Explosion Network (10/10):
Sometimes you just play a game that hits all the right notes for you and Concrete Genie has done that for me. I love this game, its characters, charm and the beautiful world that let me not just feel like an artist but become one. Concrete Genie has a warmth to it and I felt like the team at Pixel Opus put their hearts into this and the story and themes don't come off forced, cheap, or playing the same old-tune we've heard before, but instead, real and honest. For all that, Concrete Genie is one of the year's best games and a special gem every PS4 owner should play.

Attack of the Fanboy (4/5):
Concrete Genie is certainly an impressive game when it comes presentation. It's got a great score and impressive art direction, that leave you absolutely jaw-dropped at times. It's a short game though, and that feels even more so when the game goes away from its core strengths and barrels towards the finish line with lackluster combat sequences.

Metro GameCentral (5/10):
Rather than being the PlayStation 4's worst exclusive this would be more accurately described as the most forgettable. We find it hard to imagine it's going to find any kind audience and as much as we admire the intention to create something different it really needed to be something more compelling than this.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I know its from a small team, but the lack of HDR is a huge bummer for me. I want to see this in HDR on my OLED. :/

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very nice reviews. Good for Pixel Opus. Hopefully folks take notice of this one.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like great scores overall and it's a nice improvement from Entwined.

Congrats Pixelopus!

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Generally positive reviews with is good enough for me, especially for the price. Wonder if this will be forgotten as quickly as Puppeteer was though in a very busy season...

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I know its from a small team, but the lack of HDR is a huge bummer for me. I want to see this in HDR on my OLED. :/

Biggest disappointment for me by far. This game would look absolutely stunning in HDR/OLED. This and Indivisible at 79, plus Trine 4 at 80. What a good day for smaller devs. I have a lot of reading/watching to do. Probably getting this and Indiv soon.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah I said that a couple of months back. The game looks like it was designed for HDR. It would look stunning in HDR. There was an interview with the devs which mentioned that it was a choice between 4k or HDR "One of the things we found with this particular artstyle is that because there's such high contrast, when you play it on an HDR TV you get a lot of the benefit anyway. So, we decided to go for 4K support." Can only imagine this person has never actually experienced an HDR display!! Sure the game looks stunning either way but HDR would take it to a whole different level.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
5/10 from Metro is... concerning, they've been my go to site for reviews for years now, but I know they don't always get everything right..

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest disappointment for me by far. This game would look absolutely stunning in HDR/OLED. This and Indivisible at 79, plus Trine 4 at 80. What a good day for smaller devs. I have a lot of reading/watching to do. Probably getting this and Indiv soon.
Agreed. The contrast is still going to look really good on an OLED I think, but man with that color/light design it would look incredible in HDR on an OLED.

Can't freaking wait for Indivisible, so glad I backed that too.

Stacking up some really good reviews, great job Pixelopus.

Last edited:

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
This gen's Puppeteer almost reviewing like it(80 meta for Puppeteer)

I'll likely buy it in an empty month after discounts.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't understand why Sony have kept the embargo up till this point- those reviews are fine, on the whole. Their handling of this game has been weird.

Regardless this sounds like a great sale game in a couple of months. Sub £20 will do it.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
While the reviews are generally positive, there are stray 4-5s here and there which looks strange (not that their opinions are worth less mind you).

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

No HDR!? I assumed cause it was so colorful and pretty that HDR was a given.

Always feels like a missed opportunity when a good looking game doesn't have it. Still might pick it up but that's pretty shocking.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I bought all five of my physical games from The Game Collection this year, and was pleasantly surprised to find that the 'maximise gold points' took the game all the way down to £14.70!

Thoroughly looking forward to playing something different ... 🎨

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I said that a couple of months back. The game looks like it was designed for HDR. It would look stunning in HDR. There was an interview with the devs which mentioned that it was a choice between 4k or HDR "One of the things we found with this particular artstyle is that because there's such high contrast, when you play it on an HDR TV you get a lot of the benefit anyway. So, we decided to go for 4K support." Can only imagine this person has never actually experienced an HDR display!! Sure the game looks stunning either way but HDR would take it to a whole different level.
I don't need (fake) 4k on consoles. 1080p+HDR+60fps or higher settings if the graphics are too expensive and its perfect. But adjusting the resolution is much easier than implementing great HDR, as we have seen so many times this generation. Even huge studios like Rockstar struggle with it.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Can't understand why Sony have kept the embargo up till this point- those reviews are fine, on the whole. Their handling of this game has been weird.

Regardless this sounds like a great sale game in a couple of months. Sub £20 will do it.
Sony's handling of this game in regards to reviews is pretty much identical (one day before release) to all but a tiny handful of titles which companies have been super, super confident about.

Wish they'd have pushed the game a bit more elsewhere though, feels destined to get lost in the cracks

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
My copy arrives tomorrow, I'm going to stop everything and play this to completion in a couple of sittings. Far too many distractions lately.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017

Probably because of that very reason. If your game reviews well, releases at a budget price and still isn't enough to convince more enthusiast fans to buy it on day one, better to let it go and focus on something else.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats Pixelopus. I was definitely expecting stronger reviews based on the previews but this is such a massive improvement over Entwined. Less than 20 people in the studio, hope they are given opportunity to grow some more.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Congrats Pixelopus. I was definitely expecting stronger reviews based on the previews but this is such a massive improvement over Entwined. Less than 20 people in the studio, hope they are given opportunity to grow some more.
yeah, I'm hoping this does really well for them, considering how this game shaped up I'd love to see what they make with a bigger budget (and maybe a bigger team)

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pissed because amazon Australia were supposed to send my copy out today but it's now showing as though they don't even sell the game. So probably gonna cancel and get from somewhere else. Can't wait to play. They short game length only makes it more appealing