• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Fucking aces. Played a lot of hours of BD2 and NWN back in the day. May pick up several (or all) of these on XB1.

For those wondering how these would work, there's plenty of CRPGs on consoles to provide an idea. Take a look at Divinity, Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera, or hell even Diablo 3.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to buy all of them on PS4. Can't even remember the last time I played them.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Do any of these allow me to be very homosexual

I'm not sure how homosexual you have to be for "very".. but yes. BG1 has a man who will romance players of either gender, and in BG2 he returns plus there is one lesbian romance option.

IWD has no romance to my knowledge, NWN technically does, but they're all hetero I believe.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Baldur's Gate. Really want to replay those two games. Some of my best memories in gaming.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Baldur's Gate and its sequel are fantastic games that anyone should play.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
lol. we're not talking about Crysis 1 in the PS360 era now.
I don't mean it like that. Those games already look bad if you zoom in even on pc because they were designed for much smaller resolutions. On consoles I imagine the only way to play them is by zooming in since you're farther away from the screen than on a PC.

Ironically I think they will probably look a lot better on the Switch (handheld mode) than on the twins.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
A number if not all of these had online/LAN co-op right?

I'm pretty into getting some to introduce my wife to these wonderful games, just hope they are updated enough to hold up as well as they do in my memories and have multiplayer involved still.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I can't wait to buy Neverwinter Nights for a 3rd (4th?) time and not get past the second chapter again.
I really like it, the story is just boring or something.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Would love to see sale figures for these on consoles. For those that do not know, these are long, very long, cRPG's, with often more reading than combat, especially for Planescape Torment, more emphasis on role play and story.

Hope they do well in the console space and find an audience there, so we can have more cRPG's in the future.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Alright, which one of these would be the most accessible first dip for a console pleb like me, who has never touched these and will likely play most of it on a Switch screen?

Or should I not worry myself about such things and go straight for the alleged GoaT, Planescape: Torment?

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Alright, which one of these would be the most accessible first dip for a console pleb like me, who has never touched these and will likely play most of it on a Switch screen?

Or should I not worry myself about such things and go straight for the alleged GoaT, Planescape: Torment?
Torment is pretty different than the others. As a first pick it's pretty good so you don't get bogged down with the systems in the other games. It's also fairly easy to play. Might want to read a guide about class switching. Playing as a mage makes combat more fun I think but you have to complete a few quests to unlock the ability to change into paticular classes so it might be best to just google 'how to be a mage planescape torment' and read little else to not spoil yourself.

After that I do like Baldur's Gate because it's low level and a lot simpler with an emphasis on exploring wilderness whereas BG2 is more focused on busy areas with less exploration outaide the main city and Icewind Dale is more linear. Leave Neverwinter Nights till last I'd say. It's big draw is the online worlds rather than the story and by the time you get to it they'll probably be a heap of patches updatig things.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

BG2 then Planescape Torment, BG2 has more action and Torment might turn off some new comers even tho it's the best.

I advise to also read up on AD&D 3.5 mechanics just to understand to concept of THAC0 and how armor and damage is calculated and how spells, buffs and debuffs work. Or you can just play it on story mode and not worry about all of that but then again where's the fun in that?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A number if not all of these had online/LAN co-op right?

I'm pretty into getting some to introduce my wife to these wonderful games, just hope they are updated enough to hold up as well as they do in my memories and have multiplayer involved still.
Yes.
I'm seriously hoping for split screen co-op on PS4 tbh, even if I'm still curious to see how the point and click will work.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
I dont know why I thought of Dark Alliance instead of the originals. Still hyped but not as much.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
oh man, never did get around to baldurs gate HD or whatever it was....I'd buy a physical on torment day 1, still dying to find a good deal on a big boxed PC copy

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I can't imagine them not looking like shit.

Have you seen what machine learning algorithms can do to upscale images? There is hope! (if they actually use that method)

Original:
wI75cPc.png

Scaled:

snsTPBd.jpg

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Have you seen what machine learning algorithms can do to upscale images? There is hope! (if they actually use that method)

Original:
wI75cPc.png

Scaled:

snsTPBd.jpg

Is there actually a completed mod on PC for ESRGAN? Completed another BG2 playthrough and I mean to start a PST playthrough with an upscale mod preferably.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Like a few others on this thread I really wish they were bringing Dark Alliance I & II back too. I had so much fun playing those games co-op back in the day.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I'm a big fan of DnD (5e) but have never really touched any of these. What should one expect out of these sorts of games?

Gozert

Oct 28, 2017
Rotterdam, Netherlands
BG2 then Planescape Torment, BG2 has more action and Torment might turn off some new comers even tho it's the best.

I advise to also read up on AD&D 3.5 mechanics just to understand to concept of THAC0 and how armor and damage is calculated and how spells, buffs and debuffs work. Or you can just play it on story mode and not worry about all of that but then again where's the fun in that?

THAC0 was in AD&D 2nd Edition. Actually, none of the games announced use the 3.5 Edition D&D ruleset. Neverwinter Nights uses the 3.0 Edition D&D ruleset, while the rest uses AD&D 2nd Edition rules.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018

Original:
wI75cPc.png

Scaled:

snsTPBd.jpg
Oh wow that looks great. Is there a mod with the entire game like that?

I wish they would use that, but I'm assuming they will be straight ports of the Enhanced Edition versions, sadly.