hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
less than 48 hours until I'm reading Sins Past 2: Sin Harder

qswO0HC.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every good run in capecomics is a chance to quit reading so you don't have to see the next writer fucking up the story you liked.

But we're in too deep to do this

I hate it when writers punctuate their runs by putting all their cool ideas back into the toybox.

I'm more into the ongoing soap opera and intertwining of disparate plot points, but I get the feeling that kind of writing is no longer in vogue for cape comics and it's all about the Legendary Star Writer's omnibus run.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I remember in i think Daredevil that superhero battles costs trillions of dollars
I hate it when writers punctuate their runs by putting all their cool ideas back into the toybox.

I'm more into the ongoing soap opera and intertwining of disparate plot points, but I get the feeling that kind of writing is no longer in vogue for cape comics and it's all about the Legendary Star Writer's omnibus run.
You should see me when Duggan Deadpool run ended and how pissed i was

The book ends with Deadpool erasing the entire run from his memory so all the character development is gone so he can go back to typical lol random Deadpool shenanigans in time for the movie and Deadpool purposely cut off the supporting cast Duggan made so the next book can ignore and Deadpool doesn't remember them so he will never acknowledge him

Why do i read comics when i also hate them lol

I get it happens for new readers sake and sometimes it's great when shitty runs can be ignored but its annoying when it happens to good runs

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember in i think Daredevil that superhero battles costs trillions of dollars

The book ends with Deadpool erasing the entire run from his memory so all the character development is gone so he can go back to typical lol random Deadpool shenanigans in time for the movie and Deadpool purposely cut off the supporting cast Duggan made so the next book can ignore and Deadpool doesn't remember them so he will never acknowledge him

The only time I liked it was when Kid Loki's scheming caught up with him and he was forced to die and let the original Loki steal his body.

Then Al Ewing wrote a follow up series casting Loki as an anti-hero struggling against their preconceived roles that they only escape by redefining the terms of their own existence: They're the God of Stories.

Then nobody followed up on that I guess. Still need to read Kibblesmith's Loki.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

The daughter kinda comes back for the Young run but nothing yet for the Thompson run.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I liked it was when Kid Loki's scheming caught up with him and he was forced to die and let the original Loki steal his body.

Then Al Ewing wrote a follow up series casting Loki as an anti-hero struggling against their preconceived roles that they only escape by redefining the terms of their own existence: They're the God of Stories.

Then nobody followed up on that I guess. Still need to read Kibblesmith's Loki.
Kibblesmith run is about the whole stories Loki even met basically embodiments of story and continuity

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
putting the toys back in the toy box sucks, but it's also probably a good thing that writers have an opportunity to close things out their own way rather than just seeing the next writer set everything on fire, awkwardly starting their own run

fun related fact: Spencer actually got Slott's approval to use the plagiarism scandal that destroyed the remains of Parker Industries and kicked him out of the DB. it's in one of the news articles (WaPo?) that was posted after #1 was released.

of course none of this is valid for Daredevil, where writers deliberately put their successors in difficult positions lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
putting the toys back in the toy box sucks, but it's also probably a good thing that writers have an opportunity to close things out their own way rather than just seeing the next writer set everything on fire, awkwardly starting their own run

fun related fact: Spencer actually got Slott's approval to use the plagiarism scandal that destroyed the remains of Parker Industries and kicked him out of the DB. it's in one of the news articles (WaPo?) that was posted after #1 was released.

of course none of this is valid for Daredevil, where writers deliberately put their successors in difficult positions lol.

I don't like it because it feels like a way for writers to make these characters their own and Leave Their Mark instead of contributing to a grand universe of interconnected stories.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Not a fan of the two tone torso mixed with the arms/legs but I do like the brighter goggles.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
I think the lines are a bit excessive but it's not that bad.

I do wish we could have had Joelle's costume for longer though. It's very nice looking when she draws Selina, same for Jimenez.

Jones is a great artist obviously but her Catwoman design never worked for me. The last thing a thief wants is random holes in their costume that shows white skin against dark material. Cooke's Catwoman should be the template everyone else works from.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Soule to Zdarsky was a really smooth transition though right?
Soule used Daredevil's greatest enemy (a truck) and left him almost dead in a hospital bed but Marvel released a mini detailing his rehab so by the time Chip got it, he was almost back to normal, just with less finesse

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most cats aren't even grey and the ones that are are usually the worst ( sorry to anyone with a grey cat ).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
A good excuse to post my cat Bella.
Pictured falling asleep in the lid of my Marvel jigsaw box for some reason.

CF793516-1160-4-DE4-B5-E0-3993-B1231-A25.jpg

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Soule used Daredevil's greatest enemy (a truck) and left him almost dead in a hospital bed but Marvel released a mini detailing his rehab so by the time Chip got it, he was almost back to normal, just with less finesse

I feel like the last arc of Soule's run was essentially "nothing I write here will matter, Daredevil will always go back to the Miller status quo, this is the tragedy of being Matt Murdock."

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like the last arc of Soule's run was essentially "nothing I write here will matter, Daredevil will always go back to the Miller status quo, this is the tragedy of being Matt Murdock."
It felt like "I won't be able to write the happy ending i want due to the nature of superhero comics so at least I'll do this"

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If anyone's looking for a good short non-cape graphic novel that will make you cry, I recommend Al Davison's The Spiral Cage (1990).

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
I like the idea of a practical take on the BTAS costume, that rendered at Mann's usual level? It's gonna be dynamite.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Kieran Gillen Young Avengers is s bit melodramatic but it's so far the most fun i had reading a Young Avengers book

Noh Var also went from being an alien douche and borderline villainous to Coolest and Hotest guy(TM)

Well for a cockroach man

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Kelly and Lanzing are relaunching the Harbinger series for Valiant. I'm curious to see what they do with Josh Dysart's stuff. It would be really tricky to continue after Imperium and the Rise and Fall of Harada. I'd probably ignore everything after the last series and hope people aren't too pissy about it. At least the Robbi Rodriguez art will be sweet.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Valiant Relaunching ‘The Harbinger’ as Comic Series

The 2021 title 'The Harbinger' will revive and revitalize the company's flagship property.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
TMNT: The Last Ronin retailer variant:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: THE LAST RONIN #1 (OF 5)
(W) Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Tom Waltz (A) Kevin Eastman, Esau Escorza, Issac Escorza
It's the TMNT event of 2020! Springing from the minds of TMNT co-creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird comes an epic like you've never seen before! In a future NYC far different than the one we know today, a lone surviving Turtle goes on a seemingly hopeless mission to obtain justice for his fallen family and friends. Kinetic layouts from Eastman, inks from Esau and Isaac Escorza and a thrilling script full of surprises from longtime TMNT scribe Tom Waltz all combine to make this one of the most memorable TMNT stories you will ever read! Oversized in both format and page count, this is a perennial TMNT tale that can't be missed!" In Shops: Oct 28, 2020 SRP: $8.99
$8.99 lol. Still sounds like a really cool TMNT story.

Also, apparently they put Taskmaster #1 on MU today lol. Its still not out in stores. Probably forgot to delay it on the app too.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Joe Kelly Daredevil run and it turned out better than expected. Kelly definitely introduced a bit of edginess compared to Kesel, but it was only overbearing in the Deadpool/Daredevil 97 annual where he rewrote Typhoid Mary's origin. The build-up with the Triple Threat murderer, Mister Fear, and Page's trial in 375 was all a solid read. A bit rushed, but still some good tension.

If there's a bad aspect to it, it's that Kelly made Daredevil the least interesting part of his own series again, much like how I felt about the post-Frank Miller stuff. DD/MM is a dick again that largely creates bad situations for the people around him -- the people who look up to him as a hero but who DD/MM treats pretty poorly. He's kissing other women, talking down to Foggy, and generally just avoiding being a meaningful part of any of the people he cares about's lives. But it's a 90s action comic, so no one bats an eye.

The last bit of this Epic Collection, the last bit of Vol. 1 of Daredevil, is written by Lobdell. I'm not at all sure what to expect, as all the plot threads have been wrapped up. Maybe a bit of setup for Vol. 2 from Smith? I'm excited to get back to omnibuses.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Sometimes you change a character so much they're basically unrecognizable from what people know them for. Putting the toys back into the toy box is a good move there because it allows the next creator to do their own take on the character.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Kelly and Lanzing are relaunching the Harbinger series for Valiant. I'm curious to see what they do with Josh Dysart's stuff. It would be really tricky to continue after Imperium and the Rise and Fall of Harada. I'd probably ignore everything after the last series and hope people aren't too pissy about it. At least the Robbi Rodriguez art will be sweet.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Valiant Relaunching ‘The Harbinger’ as Comic Series

The 2021 title 'The Harbinger' will revive and revitalize the company's flagship property.
Didn't Robbi get MeTood?

Status
Not open for further replies.