• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Marvel probably gets more of a cut if through the Marvel app (like how Apple gets more of a cut if you subscribe to a service through Apple instead of directly from HBO or whoever), but the actual app itself is made by CMX and uses their files and all that.

Unlimited was made by Marvel, and that's their own internal business. I don't know anything about buying through that. Is that just a different place to allow you to buy things that you would read in the Marvel app, which is a CMX app? I can't imagine paying to read an issue in Unlimited and then having to read it in that app, since the file quality is so low and the app is a buggy mess.

Marvel Unlimited works just like CMX. Marvel made it to cut out CMX, before Amazon was even involved. So it's their own thing, and is often buggy for streaming comics but great for downloaded comics.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
Some places are part of city wide shutdowns have that luxury since it means they can't be shutdown by land owners, others...ohh boy.
Yeah, not forcing people to pay for inventory they won't be able to sell is a good and necessary first step. The next part is on governments enforcing some manner of rent amnesty for the duration; that and some manner of paid sick leave keeping operating costs as close to zero as possible is how comic stores can survive the crisis. It's gonna suck for a bit, especially if the US can't get its shit together, but this is not gonna be the death of floppy comics.

Deleted member 64377

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Marvel Unlimited works just like CMX. Marvel made it to cut out CMX, before Amazon was even involved. So it's their own thing, and is often buggy for streaming comics but great for downloaded comics.
I know what Unlimited is, I just mean the buying aspect of it. Because Unlimited is a subscription service, and I'd never looked at what actually happens if you buy something through it. My assumption was that buying something in Unlimited was an alternate storefront for purchasing things for use on the other Marvel app, which is the one focused on purchases/ownership, and the one that is made by CMX.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
e95327cc9a039d4843db04d31944ead105506b77.gifv

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

maybe it's because I use the browser and not the app but I haven't run into a single issue (heh, puns) since subscribing in 2018 and the quality is great

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So, basically, rather than offering returnability on comics, they are just going to shut down the entire industry. This must be why Marvel and DC didnt want to do anything to help out retailers.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What? You don't want home-grown comics?

Time for sillymonkey to publish his masterpiece, "You Should Eat That Omnibus: The Comic-based Diet"

Maybe it's because my job deals directly with people who are losing jobs over this that I find it weird.

Diamond: If you try to work with others we will shut you down.

*years later disaster hits*

LCS: I am struggling and if I close, I'm done.
Diamond: Be creative.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
apparently a superior experience to the app!

1Fb2EhJ.png
What device are you reading on?

I read comics on a tablet in the CMX app. When you tell me you're using a browser, I'm picturing you using a laptop or desktop, which sounds cumbersome no matter what the pages look like. If you aren't using a laptop or desktop, how did you end up using a browser instead of an app?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I could see the arguement for both sides regarding digital releases. I mean if they do, they alienate the entire physical market, but they also ensure that publishers still have revenue coming in.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So, basically, rather than offering returnability on comics, they are just going to shut down the entire industry. This must be why Marvel and DC didnt want to do anything to help out retailers.
To be fair, Diamond mentions struggles down the production chain and their home state telling employees to work from home.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
First bluexy I'm not ignoring you I'm just lazy, I'll add you when I get home lol

I don't know, I feel like a full delay is a lot riskier than just pushing digital. If this ends and LCS' are basically gone, you've lost months (?) of time you could be converting readers.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I could see the arguement for both sides regarding digital releases. I mean if they do, they alienate the entire physical market, but they also ensure that publishers still have revenue coming in.
Yeah, it's a really tricky situation. Depending on how long the blockade lasts stores will probably have months of old issues to get through

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Diamond mentions struggles down the production chain and their home state telling employees to work from home.
Yea I guess I hadnt thought of that. Which just brings me back to why have the entire industry rely on one distributor.

Pretty scary situation all around. I mean the big 3 will be fine. They have plenty of revenue streams besides comics. Its the smaller publishers that im worried about depending on how long this lasts, not to mention every single retailers.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What device are you reading on?

I read comics on a tablet in the CMX app. When you tell me you're using a browser, I'm picturing you using a laptop or desktop, which sounds cumbersome no matter what the pages look like. If you aren't using a laptop or desktop, how did you end up using a browser instead of an app?

surface pro 2017

I followed van winkle's lead with getting a digital device to read comics on, screen size had to be roughly the same as a single comic page (though it's a little smaller for splash pages which is fine). surface is 12.3" diagonal and a comic is 12.15" and the resolution had to be higher than 1080p and ideally 1440p or higher and the surface is 2736 x 1824

I love my omnis, OHCs, and floppies but it is nice to be able to just whip this out and read whatever

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TIL James Tynion IV did a mini series about a meme that destroyed the world.

Deleted member 64377

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
surface pro 2017

I followed van winkle's lead with getting a digital device to read comics on, screen size had to be roughly the same as a single comic page (though it's a little smaller for splash pages which is fine). surface is 12.3" diagonal and a comic is 12.15" and the resolution had to be higher than 1080p and ideally 1440p or higher and the surface is 2736 x 1824

I love my omnis, OHCs, and floppies but it is nice to be able to just whip this out and read whatever
This was all very interesting to read!

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because my job deals directly with people who are losing jobs over this that I find it weird.

Ah, well that's fair.

I don't know what I would do in this situation were I a publisher. There's risks in every approach. Speaking as a digital reader, I would be very disappointed if single print issues went away. The LCSes even moreso. I have thought about doing a phone order with a couple for a few items during the week. It's not much, we're all stuck atm, but it would be something. I have wanted to get the 5th Edition D&D Eberron book for awhile, I might order that.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
A full delay is more likely, but selfishly, I hope they continuing releasing comics digitally.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Diamond is beyond fucked after years of selling their product. It's ridiculous they've been in business for so long. That's all I have to say. Back to Animal Crossing which is the only worthwhile thing in this post apocalyptic world.

Status
Not open for further replies.