Which series should Messi read? (keep my tastes in mind, this isn't a popularity poll)

• Naruto

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Bleach

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • Dragon Ball (original, no Z)

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • One Piece (I know this will win by popularity)

Votes: 24 36.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I think the $7 a month minimum for a lot of these substack newsletter things aren't too bad if you buy everything from a creator. Like from Zdarsky just buying Daredevil and another book by him puts you over that monthly. But they should definitely consider having more concrete schedules and varying pricing tiers. Because not everyone buys everything.

One of the comic creators I follow on Patreon is gg and last year she was doing a diary comic every weekday and it was like $3 a month at the lowest tier to gain access to it (on top of blog posts). So a lot of these substack creators need to really take a look at what their colleagues are doing on a subscription based level. Because so far I don't think I've seen a coherent and defined schedule for any of them if I'm correct?

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Chip is giving his money away to charity as well. I'm still confused how that works long term but best of luck to him.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Evolution sounds like one of those trippy 70s cosmic epics. Doing that in a self contained mini is pretty cool and it will be interesting to see how Phillips handles it. Not a fan of the main cover though. Aside from the stars in the background it could easily be a recycled commission. Rossmo's variant is quite a bit better.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like Chip is giving his money away to charity as well. I'm still confused how that works long term but best of luck to him.

It's odd how all these people are donating the sub money (that they don't get for a year). It's almost like they know there's something dirty about the platform and donating to charity cleanses them of criticism.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
It's odd how all these people are donating the sub money (that they don't get for a year). It's almost like they know there's something dirty about the platform and donating to charity cleanses them of criticism.

For some reason i thought they were taking all the sub money for the first year but apparently it's "most" so god knows how much money the charities will see.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017

Taylor writing Harley again

Also Putri on art Holy Shit

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Zdarsky gets that substack money and announces comics I have zero fuckin' interest in. Sigh. Where's my The White Trees continuation, Zdarsky?

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
So is Zdarksy leaving Dardevil? Can I sue Nick Spencer for stealing all of these writers??

omg, this is going to be amazing! Putri on interior art???

I'd imagine Putri being on art is why it's been in development for 2 years. Probably to let Putri get ahead.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
DC washing the taste of comic creators selling their souls for venture capitalist money out of everyone's mouths with these announcements

HVivi

Nov 29, 2020
So is Zdarksy leaving Dardevil? Can I sue Nick Spencer for stealing all of these writers??

He says he is staying on Daredevil:
aiptcomics.com

Chip Zdarsky on the freedoms of Substack and his future in comics

Plus, whether he'll stay with DC and Marvel, fan engagement, and much more.

CZ: Look, James Tynion is a coward who needs "sleep" and spending time with "loved ones." I'm still on Daredevil and I'm still working on DC projects like a goddamn hero to the people.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oooh, I just realized that Taylor & Putri did the supergirl story in the Nuclear Winter Special. Dark Knights of Steel should definitely be pretty good!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Putti is one of the best cover artists, but I don't think I've ever seen their interior art till this preview.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
How many re-rolls did Supes have to do to get 18 Charisma?

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone from being neutral on Substack to actively disliking it. From creators already trying to cover their asses already and the contractual "wow this service I'm joining is so cool, it's The Future Of Comics!" it's just gross. Kinda makes me not want to read their other books...

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Will Tynion have done enough Batman to get an omnibus? Maybe if you include the annuals and the alpha issues.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I've gone from being neutral on Substack to actively disliking it. From creators already trying to cover their asses already and the contractual "wow this service I'm joining is so cool, it's The Future Of Comics!" it's just gross. Kinda makes me not want to read their other books...
Who's already trying to cover their ass?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm down for Tom Taylor's epic fantasy DCU. Hopefully it doesn't have anything like Neil Gaiman's fantasy Marvel Universe where Steve Rogers posed as a Native American.

HVivi

Nov 29, 2020
Will Tynion have done enough Batman to get an omnibus? Maybe if you include the annuals and the alpha issues.
31 issues and annuals and alpha issues should be enough for an omnibus. Not to mention if any portion of Joker War or Fear State tie-ins are included. It isn't as much as his Detective Comics run but it is more issues than the Grant Morrison Batman omnis. Also with how well the run has sold in single issues DC would be foolish to not print one.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
How many re-rolls did Supes have to do to get 18 Charisma?

lolol
Should be at least enough for a small one. All the Batman on-going issues, plus all the events and minis and specials. Maybe include the Joker mini too.

Id rather they just do the OHCs, but they never finished King's run lol.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Fear State is good (which I'm sure it will), Tynion had a really great run on Batman. 30 something issues is nothing to scoff at, and he didn't really miss a beat with any of it. I'd say it's the best run since Morrison pretty easily, and something I'd feel comfortable recommending to people without disclaimers. I do wish he could have had even more time, but I have no complaints. It's just been a good Batman run.

I think his new characters have been pretty good too. I can see some of them, at least Punchline, sticking around too. What was the last new Batman character that even had staying power? Professor Pyg??

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Fear State is good (which I'm sure it will), Tynion had a really great run on Batman. 30 something issues is nothing to scoff at, and he didn't really miss a beat with any of it. I'd say it's the best run since Morrison pretty easily, and something I'd feel comfortable recommending to people without disclaimers. I do wish he could have had even more time, but I have no complaints. It's just been a good Batman run.

I think his new characters have been pretty good too. I can see some of them, at least Punchline, sticking around too. What was the last new Batman character that even had staying power? Professor Pyg??

I agree with all of this except to say... Its my favourite Batman run ever. I'll be forever greatful for what he did for Harley.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for Harley being a good guy.

She's a good guy but clearly still has her own agency and goals. She can still do bad shit that she thinks is right only for Batman to set her right. But this is a good dynamic. She's in a great grey area now.

There's a great distinction between what she used to be with Joker and what she is now. She's not perfect but she's trying. Even if she fails sometimes that's okay.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Worst thing about all this Substack stuff is how haphazardly it seems to be put together as a comics format. Nobody knows what's even going on.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Harper Row always seems on the cusp of sticking around or fading away.

Status
Not open for further replies.