• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you Purchase the new XBOX console or instead opt for their services and/or releases on PC?

• I will purchase the new/next Xbox Console

Votes: 274 26.1%
  • I will invest on the Xbox ecosystem and titles via PC

Votes: 401 38.2%
  • I will buy the next Xbox console but also play my games on PC and vice versa

Votes: 156 14.8%
  • I will not invest in the Xbox ecosystem and titles on PC or via a new Xbox console

Votes: 220 20.9%

• Total voters

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been a big PC player outside of WoW, so I'll continue buying consoles for the foreseeable future.

I will definitely buy the next Xbox as long as MS doesn't fuck it up like they did with the original Xbox One release. If they stay on the right track, it's going to be one hell of a console.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Depends on how powerful it is. If I can't get a comparable PC for $200 more or less, then yes, Xbox Two it is. If I can, I'll go with a PC.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC, pretty much. I am mostly on Steam and GOG, but I do have a Game Pass sub for the next 2 years and 11 months, so I will be in MS's ecosystem for that long at least. They've got time to get GP on PC out of beta, iron out the creases and turn it from a good service to an excellent one.

Through this generation I realised that I care less and less about platforms that aren't PC, Nintendo and Apple. If I can play Microsoft and Sony first party games and exclusives at my convenience (whether that's on PC as a later port, or if I wait for a console's library to fatten up then buy one on the cheap), then that's cool. No big loss to me otherwise.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I'll buy the next box, but Game Pass Ultimate is making me want to have a Gaming PC to play RTS, 4x, and some of the RPG of the service.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
My opinion is not set in stone on this, but I am moving away from PC towards consoles more and more.

It's just a matter of convenience and consistency at this point. Less and less shits are given on graphics improvements that you can only see by zooming in and never really cared about 60+ fps.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I prefer couch gaming and I have Game Pass Ultimate till 07/2022, so I'll definitely get the next Xbox. If I feel like a game is more suited to PC I'll play it there.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I might pick up game pass for a month if there is a game I fancy playing but the likelihood is very low as I've got a huge backlog, with the exception of MSF of course.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Give me mouse and keyboard support on Diablo 4 on Xbox and I won't have to get a PC. MS and Blizzard, please. I need better portability than a PC tower can provide. Steam Machines never became a thing. :(

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Playing games on PC has, in the long run, saved me a lot of money. Turning my desktop into both my workstation and primary gaming platform of choice was a good call for saving money, though terrible for my productivity. I have my Xbox One S as an entertainment platform moreso than a game console.

icexxascended

Jan 8, 2018
I'll probably get the console, though I really question why. All games on pc and free online on pc? Do they not want me to get the console?

hersheyfan

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Even before Microsoft went all in on their PC initiative, I've always supported their Steam releases - I bought pretty much all of them at or near launch. I'll definitely continue that into the next generation, as I'm very happy with how Gears 5 turned out.

I've also very much enjoyed the Xbox Live features, so much so that I bought an Xbox Game Pass voucher, ready to go for when The Outer Worlds launches.

Basically, I may not be buying an Xbox next gen, but as long as they keep supporting Steam and making an excellent product in XGP, Microsoft will have a healthy share of my game budget - which I'm sure they'd be happy with, as they dont need to take a loss on the hardware to sell me their software.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
PC. The One X will be my first and last Xbox, so now I guess I'll forever associate the brand with shitty UI.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Pc of course, what is the plus of playing the same game in a less powerfull hardware where you have to pay for online gaming?

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Console gamer first. Consoles easier to travel with and move between TV and monitor in my place. Also provided developers provide filtered matchmaking, still prefer controller for online shooters.

That said, been thinking of PC for strategy games for awhile. Might be time to do both.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Console all the way, since kids and wife I;ve deviated away from the PC quite a bit.
Plus will have a LG C9 soon(ish) and it needs taking advantage of! Will be Scarlett for me (plus the other consoles), take full advantage of that 2.1 port.

That being said, I've sorely missed RTS games for a while now, I may rebuild the old rig eventually for that! Unless MS bring Age of Empires to consoles with mouse/keyboard support. That would be perfect.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Most likely console, but I'm seriously considering getting a decent PC for the first time in many moons. I'm fully on board the Xbox ecosystem either way

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
I just bought a new PC recently and buying a PlayStation 5 and the next Xbox at the end of next year is too expensive for me. So I will keep playing on my PC until it isn't powerful enough anymore.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
PC mustard race mate . Gears 5 crossplay with my friend on xbox one made me believe that it could work and get even better

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Need more info to make that call, how powerful are nvidia's gpu's released next year going to be? how much are they gonna cost? how do amd's gpu's with rt perform? how much do they cost? How powerful are the next gen consoles realy gonna be and how much are they going to be? If they are as powerful as people in that next gen thread seem to think (i'm skeptical) and pc gpu's next year only increase in power similar to 1000 to 2000 series and prices don't improve the pc will struggle to hold the benefits.

So long story short I need another 6 months to answer you.

Deleted member 32442

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
i don't like playing on PC because of my setup, i mean with that that i don't have the PC in my living room and i don't have enough room to put it next to the tv. I like what the PC can offer in terms of FPS but my main games are RPGS so it's not that much of a problem to deal with lower frames for me therefore i'll invest in the next console gen

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless they put out compelling exclusive content that interests me (story driven AAA games without MTX) I don't see myself investing at all.

Next gen for me is PS5/Switch/Some PC (for stuff like Civ), so if they do it'll be on PC.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Recently built a new PC over the summer (2080ti/9900k), so that's my main platform for the foreseeable future. Won't buy any new gen console until a game comes out that I want and can't get on PC, which likely means I won't be getting one for quite a while as I think next gen exclusive launch titles are going to be very sparse. Halo Infinite is coming to PC, so I have no reason to buy the new Xbox on day one.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
3rd option, I love my pc but also love the easy experience of my consoles and Xbox makes it super easy to have a console in every room of the house.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about getting a next gen Xbox but more and more I am debating on to build a PC aimed at 1440p gameplay. I know alot of the 1440p screens will accept at 4k signal and downs ample it which would work with the PS5. 4k Gaming worries me.. I just don't know if we are there yet on consoles. However I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

asd202

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I will ever invest in Xbox it's going to be on PC no point in getting Xbox console.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for buying the next console, because I don't have a gaming PC and honestly don't have a place for one in my house. I'm at the point where Game Pass makes Xbox hardware a no-brainer. Why not invest in hardware when the games I play on it are just about free?

They're free if you use Microsoft rewards to get a Game Pass Ultimate sub.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Unless they put out compelling exclusive content that interests me (story driven AAA games without MTX) I don't see myself investing at all.

Next gen for me is PS5/Switch/Some PC (for stuff like Civ), so if they do it'll be on PC.
Gears 5 has a pretty phenomenal, story driven, campaign.

Unless the MTX in the very much optional versus modes bother you so much that you can't enjoy the campaign?

On topic, I'm getting the new console for sure. My library is too large on my xbox to abandon. I'll also play on PC as well though.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I'm buying an xbox. I just hope they keep bc going forward, and please do t ever bring back always online/drm checks. It's not needed.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ask again when there are enough games I want to play to make it an urgent decision. The one game I had on my "must play some day" backlog from the Xbox One era so far is Ori, and it's coming to the Switch in eight days. The sequel will likely be the title to get the list started again.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With Microsoft working with ICE and supporting genocide, I'm not giving them my money if I can avoid it.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Until Microsoft brings the Xbox One dashboard (or something similarly functional with a controller) to PC, I don't foresee myself using my gaming PC more than an Xbox console.