• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Lol well that is certainly true.

However if you watch her trailers you see her smiling and gently petting the Wolf, like she cherishes it and they have a strong bond.

The blatant fact of the matter is that I wanted to say I want more women of color and gave Ark Sys the benefit of the doubt...because honestly I want to say hey look at this amazing Woman, and be able to speak of a Woman of Color instead or just begging Devs to make women of color that are similar/treated as well as lighter skinned folk.

So originally I specifically tried to avoid using Aerith/Tifa/Rosalina.
Arc System Works has been really receptive towards criticisms regarding their PoC characters (as shown by them fixing Nagoriyuki's lips), so I'm at least somewhat hopeful that they'll do right by Giovanna.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Arc System Works has been really receptive towards criticisms regarding their PoC characters (as shown by them fixing Nagoriyuki's lips), so I'm at least somewhat hopeful that they'll do right by Giovanna.
If I don't get any other thing this year in gaming, this would be my one.

Avoid this the stereotypes and make a strong character, I desperately want to love her character and we need more ladies like her (🤞🤞🤞)

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
because they're not 'marketable' enough or something
And this ultimately is a bullshit excuse that is just an easy way for latently or overtly racist (and misogynist) publishers/studios to get out of representation. If the product is good, comes from a team of good pedigree who's put hard work into it and has actual marketing behind it as opposed to being sent out to die (because it's felt not to be marketable), it will do well - same as any other game/film/show etc. This is being shown now repeatedly with strong women protagonists, and it will hold true when publishers and studios just finally have enough decency and courage to represent women of color as well.

Also, you should throw those pics in the OP, they're amazing.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If I don't get any other thing this year in gaming, this would be my one.

Avoid this the stereotypes and make a strong character, I desperately want to love her character and we need more ladies like her (🤞🤞🤞)
Honestly, her & Nagoriyuki are the ones pushing me to pick up GG Strive.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
Yes yes and yes. Love this topic and was honestly searching for something similar when Final Fantasy XVI trailer dropped.

FFXVI looks dope, but the whole time I couldn't help but see how white everyone was. I understand you can base the game off a certain 'setting', but that doesn't mean brown people cannot exist. It is still a fantasy universe and not the real 'earth'. It doesn't even have to matter about temperature, climate, 'grounded reality' or whatever nonsense excuse people come up with for 'lore friendliness' which is just a cop out anyway.

As a long time FF fan, it sucks that I can no longer get excited about series I used to enjoy after realizing how much I do not exist to them.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, her & Nagoriyuki are the ones pushing me to pick up GG Strive.
Won't lie, you and I are in the same boat.

Granted I'm more hype for Gio, but the fact they took feedback on Nagoriyuki, and they are putting love and care into him has me equally as happy at his inclusion as Giovanna's...sadly that is largely the only characters that have spoken to me in the base roster.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Won't lie, you and I are in the same boat.

Granted I'm more hype for Gio, but the fact they took feedback on Nagoriyuki, and they are putting love and care into him has me equally as happy at his inclusion as Giovanna's...sadly that is largely the only characters that have spoken to me in the base roster.
All they have to do now is stick the landing by getting black actors for both of them. Though given that ASW made sure to get a black actor for Venom back in Xrd Sign's dub, I'm not too worried.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And this ultimately is a bullshit excuse that is just an easy way for latently or overtly racist (and misogynist) publishers/studios to get out of representation. If the product is good, comes from a team of good pedigree who's put hard work into it and has actual marketing behind it as opposed to being sent out to die (because it's felt not to be marketable), it will do well - same as any other game/film/show etc. This is being shown now repeatedly with strong women protagonists, and it will hold true when publishers and studios just finally have enough decency and courage to represent women of color as well.

Also, you should throw those pics in the OP, they're amazing.
You're definitely right and that's why I'm hoping Project Athia doesn't flop. Apparently SE wants it to be a big new IP so that hopefully means it will get a lot of marketing - especially with Sony being involved. I remember Playstation having a screencap of the game as its twitter banner after it was announced.

And that was a great suggestion so I went ahead and added them to the OP!

Yes yes and yes. Love this topic and was honestly searching for something similar when Final Fantasy XVI trailer dropped.

FFXVI looks dope, but the whole time I couldn't help but see how white everyone was. I understand you can base the game off a certain 'setting', but that doesn't mean brown people cannot exist. It is still a fantasy universe and not the real 'earth'. It doesn't even have to matter about temperature, climate, 'grounded reality' or whatever nonsense excuse people come up with for 'lore friendliness' which is just a cop out anyway.

As a long time FF fan, it sucks that I can no longer get excited about series I used to enjoy after realizing how much I do not exist to them.
The bolded hit. I'm still...excited about the series in a way but I feel like there's a huge asterisk when I talk about it these days. I think what makes the FFXVI situation worse is that a lot of fans don't even care. Sometimes I'll post in XVI threads about how I'm concerned about the lack of brown/black people and I'm pretty much get ignored / no one comments on it. The lack of representation for other fans doesn't matter because people are too busy hyping over getting a game like XII again or a single player FF made by some of the XIV devs to be critical of how white the game is. It sucks.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
The 2P thing is just baffling given that her design is so straight forward conceptually, dark skinned 2B wearing white, I mean how do you fuck that up

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
2022 baby!!! (although I think they need to fix the lightning for her skin).

Yeah, the cutscene they showed had her looking kinda weird but overall, whoo! I would guess Jan 2022, but that leak was already wrong since I think it said Kena was March and that was way wrong.

Need to see more of the combat but I'm already in day 1 regardless, honestly. Her design is so cool and it looks great in motion!

Witch of Miracles

One Winged Slayer
Jun 13, 2019
United Kingdom
Can anyone who has played League of Legends touch on how the brown and black characters are treated in the game? I'm a 'fan' of K/DA but have never played League but I have noticed they do have a decent variety of PoC (I'm sure I've missed a few):

However, I've noticed that some characters have straight up inconsistencies in their skin tone in some of the art for the skins? This is supposed to be the same person:

Sivir_0.jpg

Sivir_6.jpg

The same thing happens with another character, her skin tone just...drastically changes depending on the skin:

Nidalee_0.jpg

Nidalee_8.jpg

Nidalee_4.jpg
I'm sorry if this is too old but i didn't see anyone answer you so I thought I'd give it a crack.

Riot has been pretty great over the last few years when it comes to black and brown characters releasing some excellent characters and supporting them with high quality skins (2020 came with a Samira a badass brown woman and Rell a young black girl). But they weren't always good at it, those 2 (Sivir and Nidalee) being the poster childen of that.

This is not to say that the problem is gone, while Sivirs last skin had her normal skin tone and her League of Runeterra appearance shes still brown, it was only 2018 (when they should have already known better) when they released her Pizza Delivery skin that makes her lily white (note the in-game model shes still brown so its just her splash art).

latest

As for Nidalee, her last 3 skins have her be blue for the Cosmic Huntress Nidalee skin (2020), her normal brown skin for Dawnbringer Nidalee (2019) and similar to Sivirs skin above white splash art with brown model for Super Galaxy Nidalee (2017)

Interestingly enough another one of their oldest brown women, Karma has never run into any of these problems. She brown in all her human skins.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is Balan without the hat.

8tq4XQq.png

Kinda feel like this counts towards colorism considering that it kinda invokes the "paler = nicer" stereotype. For reference, this is what Balan normally looks like...

zZI1kXU.png

Last edited:

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020

8tq4XQq.png

Kinda feel like this counts towards colorism considering that it kinda invokes the "paler = nicer" stereotype.

Had to look up the context as its kinda meaningless without it, but this is a real "bruh" moment.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

The context was added to the original post.

Woof! Seems like another one of those bad examples. Though it looks a bit confusing. I'm going to assume Balan is wearing gloves?

Thank you for explaining!

I might be replying for the first time in this thread. I enjoyed reading it and the examples shared are very true and hard to deny. Some games like FF especially hurt since they're one of my favourite games. 2B and the Virtua Fighter character are downright offensive. This topic is very personal. I unintentionally always felt that the lighter the skin, the more beautiful you are. I didn't know why I felt I was lucky for having a lighter skin for an Arab. Then I got exposed with certain videos about an experiment with children always picking the lighter dolls etc. It hit home how damaging the media has been about affecting us like this. For a period I mostly consumed Japanese media and it's very prevalent there. Some Jpop stars/idols start their careers with darker skins and then you gradually notice how lighter they get. I'm luckily over that phase. I now get happy when I see minorities and dark skinned characters. I also make sure to comment on how positive it is whenever it's appropriate to talk about it with friends and family.

The OP is also talking about how dark skinned woman are only allowed to have a tough personality. This is another true example where a lot of damage has been done. When it comes to SE games in particular, I hope we get a female Sazh in the future. He was so refreshing and a well fleshed out character. They can do it, we just need more.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts OP. I'm sure it must have been difficult to talk about your favourite games like this or dealing with this your entire life.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk what any of this means because I didn't play this game but:
Someone tried to explain the different designs and I'm still confused lol. So Balan is a 'persona' for the pale guy? Even so, they could've made unhatted Balan have darker skin rather than...what he looks like now.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Why is their jaw a different color when wearing the hat?
I suppose its meant to represent mystery and his face cloaked in shadow like in this example from FF14, in the example though the face is completely obscured and you can only see the eyes while in Balan's case I think its meant to show that the hat shades his face.
tumblr_inline_pts45uZH0x1rq3gzr_500.png

Really doesn't excuse it though because combined with the hair it does make it look like Balan is a dark skinned character when he's "mysterious and magical" and pale as snow when he's "pure and good" and that's really questionable

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing is fascinatingly baffling to me:

So 'Balan' is good and Lance is the antagonist....but they're the same person? I think? Why is Balan running around with a black mask(?) and wig on then????

Oct 27, 2017

8tq4XQq.png

Kinda feel like this counts towards colorism considering that it kinda invokes the "paler = nicer" stereotype. For reference, this is what Balan normally looks like...

zZI1kXU.png
Lmaooooo

It's the hair texture change for me.

Say what you will about his face being permanently cast in shadow, but why does the "evil" version have dreads, and the "good" version have silky hair???? Takes the whole thing from coincidence to some form of intentional.

Lol, seems pretty shameless

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While I can appreciate the visual contrast, the tendency for dark characters to sport light hair colours is also reaaaallly prevalent (you can literally make a list of it).

Anyways, great topic. It's a topic that deserves eyes.
This is one thing that I can just say is simply anime. Anime is allergic to black (the color) hair in general, preferring white/blonde/green/blue/red/etc.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmaooooo

It's the hair texture change for me.

Say what you will about his face being permanently cast in shadow, but why does the "evil" version have dreads, and the "good" version have silky hair???? Takes the whole thing from coincidence to some form of intentional.

Lol, seems pretty shameless
Apparently neither version is evil (at least from what I've gathered?). The whole thing is still weird though.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I suppose its meant to represent mystery and his face cloaked in shadow like in this example from FF14, in the example though the face is completely obscured and you can only see the eyes while in Balan's case I think its meant to show that the hat shades his face.
tumblr_inline_pts45uZH0x1rq3gzr_500.png

Really doesn't excuse it though because combined with the hair it does make it look like Balan is a dark skinned character when he's "mysterious and magical" and pale as snow when he's "pure and good" and that's really questionable
Final Fantasy Black Mages are a closer example:

CiF63dn.jpg

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome, I'll have to give them a try (especially CK2 since I already own it).
CK3 is better for it, imo. It detaches culture from race and has a ruler designed built in, so you could technically create a black lady ruler of iceland without having the opinion penalty for not matching culture you would in CK 2 (and in CK 2, tribal rulers are hardcoded to be really really difficult to play with a female ruler). If you don't want to play with historical gender laws, you can do that out of the box, make things equal or even favor women over men. If you wanna play a female ruler with historical gender laws you could also grind faith, found a new religion with different views on gender and the like. You can also play with sexuality, make LGB people less uncommon or make them the dominate sexuality, also has asexuality. You can play as any african faction on its map out of the box (basically central/northern africa) it has asian and indian factions (not all the way east, but it gets to about Tibet).

Overall, CK 3 is a surprisingly complete game coming from paradox (practically a law that they release games that are hollow on release that become awesome after 10 DLCs or so). It's got most of the functionality of CK 2 with some additions out of the box without needing the mountain of DLC CK 2 does.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The following list includes games that feature positive representation for brown and black people as leads or main playable characters (games developed by brown and black creatives can also be suggested since they're often underrepresented). Feel free to to quote or @ me with any recommendations you have and I'll add it to the list when I have the time. Thank you!
I updated the list with the recently released game Subnautica: Below Zero, a game that features a black woman as the main character. Thank you to Urban Scholar for bringing it to my attention.

Last edited:

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
Great thread.

Not sure what I can add, but I have been a gamer since I was a child in the Gameboy days and Miles Morales on PS5 was the first and only time I feel represented and it is not even an exact representation of both black/latino character. First time a character of Puertorrican decent and a decent black protagonist. It inflated my heart playing the game and I can only imagine how it would feel for me and all if this happened more often with other races other than white.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Shouts out to Eiyuden Chronicle Marise:

latest

For a really awesome black girl design. It remains to be seen if her character uses the aggressive personality or not but as far as the design goes it is really awesome. They didn't try to watch wash her by giving her white people features or hair.

This character needs her own series of games. What a design.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posting this since I mentioned the issue with Final Fantasy often not having characters' skin color reflect the people who live in places some of the game locations are inspired by. Someone on twitter is doing edits to show what characters would accurately looked like if that was taken in consideration and I thought they were cool:

Basch looks so much better.

Witch of Miracles

One Winged Slayer
Jun 13, 2019
United Kingdom
Posting this since I mentioned the issue with Final Fantasy often not having characters' skin color reflect the people who live in places some of the game locations are inspired by. Someone on twitter is doing edits to show what characters would accurately looked like if that was taken in consideration and I thought they were cool:

Well fuck i never knew Vanille design was inspired by Himba women, wish they made her a little darker in XIII. Also Basch looks 10x better like that.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
OP forgot to also mention... when ever a black woman is added to a game... in what ever role.. they still find a white person to do the voice acting. <shrug>

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, that is something I've never thought about. Taking inspirations from global cultures instead of just Fantasy Europe is great, but, like, it is super weird to take those inspirations but give them to white/Japanese-coded characters.

OP
OP

Deleted member 511

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP forgot to also mention... when ever a black woman is added to a game... in what ever role.. they still find a white person to do the voice acting. <shrug>
This definitely happens - Nadine is a glaring example - but I wouldn't say always. I know smaller, indies games will hire black women so I feel like it's more of a problem in the AAA games space - especially since you don't get to see black women in these bigger types of games anyway (which is a problem within itself). I know Forspoken is using a black woman for the main character's design and VA, Deathloop uses a black VA for Julianna and Arkane also got another black woman to voice the black female character for their new upcoming game as well. I'm sure there's others I could list that I'm missing. I know FFVIIR seemed to make an effort to match voice actors with the characters' race regardless if it was a main character or an NPC (Tifa's VA is white though which seems like a noticeable outlier). They even had black women voicing black female npcs in the game which seems small but I was impressed that they did that.

You know, that is something I've never thought about. Taking inspirations from global cultures instead of just Fantasy Europe is great, but, like, it is super weird to take those inspirations but give them to white/Japanese-coded characters.
It's very weird lol. It also just visually limits the cast a lot imo. The above tweets are just edits but the cast of XII is uplifted a lot by how different and more unique everyone looks now instead of them all just being white and blond. It's the same with Vanille - I feel like the colors of her outfit pop nicely against the darker skin tone. The design is beautiful to look at like that. Throwing in more skin tones color wise livens up a lot of these games and hopefully companies catch on lmao.

Last edited:

Vash

Oct 28, 2017

Oh, this is something I've seen happen over and over. Not just in games, it also happens a lot in anime, and live-action. White washing of characters but keeping the original clothing design has been done in so much media. It's even been done throughout history.

I totally missed this thread when it first started, but I wanted to say that it was an incredible read, Celes. More designers/writers/artists need to know about this.

I've been well aware of colorism in media, thanks to a previous relationship, and it's a shame not much has changed since. I can only say this: If you're white, like me, and you want to write or design a character just do your research. Find someone who is familiar with the region you're basing your design on, find a sensitivity reader, and please get rid of the stereotypes that have been bashed into your brain thanks to a lot of media you've grown up with.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brown man here, and I've always noticed this issue in games and in movies/tv shows as well. I feel like for movies we sometimes at least get to see less colorism and stereotypes at times and even then it's usually only because there are black people directing said films. In terms of videogames I honestly can't think of one dark skinned black woman that doesn't at least exhibit one stereotype. I do hope that will change so that future generations can have better positive representation in games.

These are all awesome

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

It's a complaint I've tried to levy whenever it's relevant in conversations like this, especially when it comes to people making the stupid argument that 'japanese people just don't know about other cultures!'.

Japanese devs have had absolutely 0 problem aping other cultures for their games then wrapping them up in their white/japanese/'anime' aesthetics to make their casts as homogeneous as possible. If they can take the culture, they absolutely could take the people as well, they simply choose not to, unless they can find an excuse to utilize some blonde-haired, blue eyed person.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Thank you for this topic. Just stumbled upon it and have been reading through. There is certainly a storied history of using darker features and skin tone to depict evil characters- the Kingdom Hearts example is one that I hadn't considered. Lots of game series I love are super guilty of this- Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy XII.

Also appreciate the game recommendations. Ikenfell looks fantastic