• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't you going to college to improve your job prospects cause you hated working in kitchens?

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Hey buddy I see you already discovered Rate my Professor. Fantastic development. Use before every semester

Now just take a breath buddy. Relax and breathe. Take some time and reframe shit in your mind. What are you working towards/how deep are you into college? Could you take less classes next semester to give yourself a break? Could you take a summer course to make up one of these electives? Be honest with yourself and where your at in your course. Is it just not doable? If you drop could you get some of that money back or are you too far gone at that point?

Don't let the questions stress you out. Just be honest with yourself and what works best for you. And look at those questions as options and alternatives and use them to build the best plan for your life. Took me 6 years to get my damn bachelors. Failed most of my first year and ran out of money and had to switch schools. It's tough, most important part is not to add to that and give yourself a break. Pick your battles and mentally try to take things step by step. You'll be fine

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I found College WAY easier than High School, and the real world (once you actually have a job, not the searching part) WAY easier than college. High School has so many out of class commitments each day (homework for each class) and spending way more time in the classroom vs College
Seriously. Law school wasn't particularly time consuming either. Before that, I had been working full time and going to college full time for years. Not having to work and only going to school? It's a breeze.
Now that I have my own "virtual" business, I do less "actual" work than ever before. It's nice.
Bruh you got it easy. My animation program REQUIRED you to be in the lab during the weekend and at night during the week. I did that while taking 5 classes a semester and working 30 hours a week.
Fuuuuuck, even when I went to a shitty animation school the workload was insane. That some time-intensive shit. I was doing a traditional hand-drawn program. Not sure if 3D is any easier (I doubt it).

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Weren't you going to college to improve your job prospects cause you hated working in kitchens?

Yes that's what I'm doing.
Hey buddy I see you already discovered Rate my Professor. Fantastic development. Use before every semester

Now just take a breath buddy. Relax and breathe. Take some time and reframe shit in your mind. What are you working towards/how deep are you into college? Could you take less classes next semester to give yourself a break? Could you take a summer course to make up one of these electives? Be honest with yourself and where your at in your course. Is it just not doable? If you drop could you get some of that money back or are you too far gone at that point?

Don't let the questions stress you out. Just be honest with yourself and what works best for you. And look at those questions as options and alternatives and use them to build the best plan for your life. Took me 6 years to get my damn bachelors. Failed most of my first year and ran out of money and had to switch schools. It's tough, most important part is not to add to that and give yourself a break. Pick your battles and mentally try to take things step by step. You'll be fine

I'm thinking I want to drop one course and only take two.
This class seems unfairly challenging.
Every week is a quiz.

Research paper and presentation are due almost immediately out of the gate.
The teacher wants us to read multiple hours worth of material all while taking extensive notes.
This is a class I am not at all interested in.
African history up until 1845.

I have no idea why it is being made so hard.

Mar 3, 2019
Seriously. Law school wasn't particularly time consuming either. Before that, I had been working full time and going to college full time for years. Not having to work and only going to school? It's a breeze.
Now that I have my own "virtual" business, I do less "actual" work than ever before. It's nice.

Fuuuuuck, even when I went to a shitty animation school the workload was insane. That some time-intensive shit. I was doing a traditional hand-drawn program. Not sure if 3D is any easier (I doubt it).

Dude I feel that. Mine was just a state school. Ours was primarily hand drawn too, thankfully I went 3d instead and taught myself in school. Im basically the only one of out of my graduating class with a job in animation as a result.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude I feel that. Mine was just a state school. Ours was primarily hand drawn too, thankfully I went 3d instead and taught myself in school. Im basically the only one of out of my graduating class with a job in animation as a result.
I'm out of it now, but yeah, most of my class was bums who couldn't draw and never got jobs because of it.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Real world where you don't have to study for exams, quizes, work late nights into the midnight hours for projects?

Like, I know work can suck, but having had the taste of the work life of coding in an office envrionment for over two years... school is a fucking nightmare compared to the real world work envrionment where you have free time + money to spend.

As someone in CS, I can't fucking imagine anyone who took this degree and goes "man working sucks, college was where it was at!"

Also OP, I know how you feel. My advisor royally fucked up and in order to graduate this semester, I need to take two extra classes, six classes total.

So... yea.
Not in tech, but in engineering: Agreed. I have *so* much more free time now than during college. So much less stress as well. Depends a lot on where you work, I guess.

Me and my classmates were regularly sick from the stress and sleep deprivation, especially in our last two semesters. I've never felt as much stress or been as sleep deprived as during college. Work life is fucking awesome in comparison.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes that's what I'm doing.

I'm thinking I want to drop one course and only take two.
This class seems unfairly challenging.
Every week is a quiz.

Research paper and presentation are due almost immediately out of the gate.
The teacher wants us to read multiple hours worth of material all while taking extensive notes.
This is a class I am not at all interested in.
African history up until 1845.

I have no idea why it is being made so hard.
College is designed to take all your time. The 3-to-1 hours ratio is how many professors will approach it. Best get used to it now, it's only going to get worse as you progress.

Working while you're in school is extremely hard. That's just how it is.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
College is designed to take all your time. The 3-to-1 hours ratio is how many professors will approach it. Best get used to it now, it's only going to get worse as you progress.

Working while you're in school is extremely hard. That's just how it is.

I think that some professors are worse than others though. For this class she received universally bad reviews from other students.

I also disagree that it get's harder;
I think it may only be harder in my junior year.

I have a friend that told me he ended up with straight A's his senior year as he then had the option of taking easier classes.

I think I've decided that I will drop this class and focus on the other two I'm taking instead.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at all the "Wait till you get to the real world!" comments, I work a 40 hour a week job and the vast majority of my stress, frustration, and at-home workload comes from my college classes, not my job. I asked about this over in the IT jobs thread but I'm probably going to pump the breaks on my degree program and take things slower since I already have a job in my field.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that some professors are worse than others though. For this class she received universally bad reviews from other students.

I also disagree that it get's harder;
I think it may only be harder in my junior year.

I have a friend that told me he ended up with straight A's his senior year as he then had the option of taking easier classes.

I think I've decided that I will drop this class and focus on the other two I'm taking instead.
Depends on the major. And yeah, ultimately the professors have all the power. I've had some MBA classes that demand 10-15 hours a week out of class. Others that have absolutely nothing due except a final essay.

You're majoring in the polar opposite of anything technical, so it will likely end up being a shitload of reading and analysis in the higher classes. It honestly doesn't sound like a very good fit for you if you struggle with reading. It's not really a great fit for improving your employability either, but that's another discussion.

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
Just chiming in to agree with those who said they had way more free time after college. I had the least free time in high school, probably.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
I'm in the same boat. My classes last semester didn't require an absurd amount of time commitment and I found myself dealing pretty well... But this semester, two weeks in now, I'm already in deeper than my head and every moment awake is spent stressed out over something or another. I'm taking the minimum amount of classes to be considered full time, but I also have work on top of it for anywhere from 12-18 hours a week and I'm left with barely any time it feels to do anything. Three of my classes require the online software, and each of the assignments on them take anywhere from an hour to multiple hours due to the sheer length, and then I have my programming class which takes hours on its own too... College life sucks, man... I miss the freedom I had when I was only working, lol.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Depends on the major. And yeah, ultimately the professors have all the power. I've had some MBA classes that demand 10-15 hours a week out of class. Others that have absolutely nothing due except a final essay.

You're majoring in the polar opposite of anything technical, so it will likely end up being a shitload of reading and analysis in the higher classes. It honestly doesn't sound like a very good fit for you if you struggle with reading. It's not really a great fit for improving your employability either, but that's another discussion.

I think I'm going to switch my major to business management.
The head of my major seems to think it doesn't matter what you major in so long as you get a degree.
She then talks about her storied career with a major in the humanities.

I think I have an advantage compared to someone who has no work experience.
All I want from a job is to be able to sit down in an office and work.

I absolutely hate manual labor.

Also, my goal is to just get an associate's. Then I plan on either living with my parents or living on campus when furthering my education.

I think if I have time to study then I will be okay with more demanding classes.

What I'm finding is that the work isn't hard, just the time demands are killer.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
lol - you got it easy friend. Try taking an engineering workload. Seriously though, it's college, its supposed to be challenging. Suck it up and get it done, depending on your major, you'll likely be rewarded with a well paying job.

similar boat. majored in chemical engineering. OPs work load sounded like a walk in the park.

Yeah, some of these kids don't realize how easy they got it.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
I'm in the same boat. My classes last semester didn't require an absurd amount of time commitment and I found myself dealing pretty well... But this semester, two weeks in now, I'm already in deeper than my head and every moment awake is spent stressed out over something or another. I'm taking the minimum amount of classes to be considered full time, but I also have work on top of it for anywhere from 12-18 hours a week and I'm left with barely any time it feels to do anything. Three of my classes require the online software, and each of the assignments on them take anywhere from an hour to multiple hours due to the sheer length, and then I have my programming class which takes hours on its own too... College life sucks, man... I miss the freedom I had when I was only working, lol.

Yeah that's what I'm finding as well. It is strange how some teachers are fine with demanding only a small portion of your time while others want you constantly working.

The online components are what kill me, yeah they just take time and on top of that I have no idea what she wants me to remember from them.

She said the key points but these articles are all key points.

Yeah I think college life is awful. People that I work with tell me I have first world problems and I should relax.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
lol - you got it easy friend. Try taking an engineering workload. Seriously though, it's college, its supposed to be challenging. Suck it up and get it done, depending on your major, you'll likely be rewarded with a well paying job.

Yeah, some of these kids don't realize how easy they got it.

If I was able to attend school without working then I would have considered nursing or maybe even engineering. When I realized the time commitment for those type of classes I realized it would be impossible while working.

I am just surprised that a history class is asking me to give it ten hrs a week of intensive studying.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to switch my major to business management.
The head of my major seems to think it doesn't matter what you major in so long as you get a degree.
She then talks about her storied career with a major in the humanities.

I think I have an advantage compared to someone who has no work experience.
All I want from a job is to be able to sit down in an office and work.

I absolutely hate manual labor.

Also, my goal is to just get an associate's. Then I plan on either living with my parents or living on campus when furthering my education.

I think if I have time to study then I will be okay with more demanding classes.

What I'm finding is that the work isn't hard, just the time demands are killer.
Switching to business management is a good choice. It's not STEM, but you will at least get some intro accounting and finance classes and it'll open doors to entry-level positions far easier than a nonsense humanities degree.

It's true that it is possible to be wildly successful with any degree (or no degree at all), but man, it is so much easier if you just study something that is in demand.

I recommend trying an intro accounting class. Some people find accounting to be ludicrous (like me), but for others it "clicks" and comes easy. If that's you then the degree will come easily and you'll never have to worry about employment again. You'll probably freak out and stress while you prep for the CPA, but honestly the best careers usually have that sort of hurdle.

Caeda

Oct 25, 2017
Danbury, CT
Yeah that's what I'm finding as well. It is strange how some teachers are fine with demanding only a small portion of your time while others want you constantly working.

The online components are what kill me, yeah they just take time and on top of that I have no idea what she wants me to remember from them.

She said the key points but these articles are all key points.

Yeah I think college life is awful. People that I work with tell me I have first world problems and I should relax.

A lot of the professors I've had that are cool with just a small portion of my time are the ones who opened the class with "I understand a lot of you have jobs, and I will be as accomodating as possible because of that." Even one of the ones who had an online component would shift all her due dates to the last possible day (Sunday 11:59pm, they used to be due Thursdays at 11:59pm) because she understood people have jobs and don't necessarily have the time to work on the homework on school/work nights.

Seriously... There's always so much garbage thrown into the online components. I understand they don't always have the ability to customise it, but if there's enough garbage, just don't make it required to do!

When everything seems to be a key point is the worst, it's so stressful, like what am I meant to pull from this? I guess if there's some sort of overlying theme to focus on it might help but then if everything fits in, you risk too much information.

Luckily I work with a lot of other college-goers of varying ages, and my managers and older coworkers are, for the most part, very sympathetic to the struggles. What I have the most struggle with getting others to understand is how my disability factors into my abilities and what I can do for class or how to make college less draining. Nobody seems to realise how much listening to lectures or groupwork can be draining to someone who doesn't have full hearing capabilities. Even with my accomodations of lecture transcription, they can't catch when students are talking since they're not near the microphone, so I'm constantly straining and getting severe energy burn out due to it.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like I have much more free time since graduating
Yes, i felt the same. At university you always have something in mind, homework, group work, exams, final paper etc. Even when you had a day off, you always had something to do in the back of your mind and tend to think about that here and there.
When i started working, i left work after a full day, and everything just fell off. I blanked my mind and i had the evening till night to do anything i wanted, without the need to think about work once. Same with weekends and vacation. They felt way more refreshing and relaxing than at university.

Never felt that free at university where something was always looming in your head. And i don't miss that time. Some people always tend to remember only the parties and good things from studying but i very much remember the crunch and pressure too.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
If I was able to attend school without working then I would have considered nursing or maybe even engineering. When I realized the time commitment for those type of classes I realized it would be impossible while working.

I am just surprised that a history class is asking me to give it ten hrs a week of intensive studying.

Ah, didn't realize you working too. Hats off to you thats a lot to get through. I too had to work through college and it sucked watching friends have free time after classes.

If its early enough to change majors I'd definitely go for nursing or engineering if you are interested in those subjects. You're going to make a great salary after school and you will be able to work anywhere. Here in SoCal nurses can make over $50/hour. Also, healthcare jobs are recession proof. Just my two cents.

College is hard but its so worth it when its over. Lighten your load if you have to to make it through without getting burnt out. Took me about 6 years to finally graduate. Good Luck with everything.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Hang in there OP, the workload will get more manageable for you over time. Stay on top of things and don't be afraid to drop a class if it's truly killing you. And those time requirements are all relative. Take as much or as little time as you need to get the job done and make the grade you want. Just don't give up, because people in here are right, life doesn't get easier. College is your time to learn how to handle this kind of stress before you hit the real world.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was lucky enough to live at home still while going to college and choosing not to work. Made things much more relaxed and the only times it would drain me is if I had procrastinated. Only times things were terrible was during the semester I did choose to work. It also happened to be the same semester I had to get up for a life drawing class at 8AM and take a god awful art history class, so I was basically a corpse by the end of the semester.

As for art history though, it's just beating you over the head with overly complicated concepts and knowing how to apply it when writing about a work of art. How terrible it will be depends on the professor, but most art history professors are quite terrible in just how serious they take the subject matter.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Ah, didn't realize you working too. Hats off to you thats a lot to get through. I too had to work through college and it sucked watching friends have free time after classes.

If its early enough to change majors I'd definitely go for nursing or engineering if you are interested in those subjects. You're going to make a great salary after school and you will be able to work anywhere. Here in SoCal nurses can make over $50/hour. Also, healthcare jobs are recession proof. Just my two cents.

College is hard but its so worth it when its over. Lighten your load if you have to to make it through without getting burnt out. Took me about 6 years to finally graduate. Good Luck with everything.

Thanks. I can change majors when I go to a four year.

I just decided to drop the class. I have taken 14 classes so far and this history class somehow seemed like it was going to devour all of my time.

I have already spent two days working on the homework for it. I started working on the major project for the class and then I realized she was not going to accept a work cited that includes websites.

I had cited everything properly I just took my sources from an online database.

When I realized she wasn't going to accept a work cited the way 99% of students will give it, and which most teachers accept, in addition to giving twenty to thirty quizzes, I realized this was a bad class.