• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
edition.cnn.com

US government will run out of money by October 18, Treasury secretary says

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen warned lawmakers that the federal government will likely run out of cash and extraordinary measures by October 18 unless Congress raises the debt ceiling.

Secretary Janet Yellen warned lawmakers that the federal government will likely run out of cash and extraordinary measures by October 18 unless Congress raises the debt ceiling.
The new estimate from Yellen raises the risk that the United States could default on its debt in a matter of weeks if Washington fails to act. A default would likely be catastrophic, tanking markets and the economy, and delaying payments to millions of Americans.
"It is uncertain whether we could continue to meet all the nation's commitments after that date," Yellen wrote in a letter, adding the projection is based on estimated tax payments.

Previously, the Treasury Department estimated it would run out of cash and accounting maneuvers at some point in October.

As alarming as this sounds this isn't the first time we have seen this happen.

Though you have to wonder if Republicans might decide to be pieces of shit and vote in such a way that might cause shutdown government.

Lock if old.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
edition.cnn.com

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen warned lawmakers that the federal government will likely run out of cash and extraordinary measures by October 18 unless Congress raises the debt ceiling.

Though you have to wonder if Republicans might decide to be pieces of shit and vote in such a way that might cause shutdown government.

Lock if old.

They will.

And there is infighting with the Dems (mainly Sinema being a jerk). So we will see what happens.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Honestly, the dumb debt ceiling law needs to be removed. It's just a pretend cap that has been raised 30+ times. There's legal ground to nuke it, but both parties like having the leverage for partisan reasons.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, the ole Dem president so it's time for GOP to care about the debt and deficit song and dance, a classic.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can the Dems push this through but need those few annoying Republican Dems to do so or need some actual Republicans too?

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I saw someone post on YouTube about Dems voting to allow the debt ceiling being raised twice during Trump admin, while Repubs will vote no during Biden. I wasn't sure the context of that post until now.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Can the Dems push this through but need those few annoying Republican Dems to do so or need some actual Republicans too?

They can do it themselves through reconciliation but they don't want to because reconciliation can only be used so many times. That's what Mitch McConnell and the GOP wants them to do. The Executive Branch can, likely, do many things to avoid it as well. They can pass a bill by themselves to raise the limit as well.

We won't run out of money, it's a purely arbitrary limit.

It is but the government wouldn't be able to borrow money if the debt ceiling isn't raised and will default. This would be incredibly bad.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Republicans passed a $2.1t tax cut for the rich package in 2017 that was unpaid for. Today, in 2021, they don't want to pay for it.

That's the narrative.

Oct 29, 2017
I saw someone post on YouTube about Dems voting to allow the debt ceiling being raised twice during Trump admin, while Repubs will vote no during Biden. I wasn't sure the context of that post until now.

The GOP are regressive obstructionists. The Dems fuck up (or get held hostage by 1-2 ass holes like Sinema) but they at least try to govern.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong -

Basically the Democrats could include this in the $3.5T reconciliation bill. That requires only 50 votes + VP. But that's a pain because the senate has to pass the framework again.

They can do a separate stand-alone bill to raise it, but that requires 60 senators because McConnell is being an ass by filibustering it.

Or Biden can order the treasury to mint a trillion dollar coin or challenge the debt ceiling with the 14th amendment. Both are controversial and unlikely, but neither rely on congress.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
edition.cnn.com

Lock if old.
With Democrats currently in charge of congress and the presidency, Republicans absolutely want the government to shutdown, because people will 100% blame Democrats. Republicans also don't care if people suffer so there is everything to gain and nothing to lose for them.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Someone correct me if I'm wrong -

Basically the Democrats could include this in the $3.5T reconciliation bill. That requires only 50 votes + VP. But that's a pain because the senate has to pass the framework again.

They can do a separate stand-alone bill to raise it, but that requires 60 senators because McConnell is being an ass by filibustering it.

Or Biden can order the treasury to mint a trillion dollar coin or challenge the debt ceiling with the 14th amendment. Both are controversial and unlikely, but neither rely on congress.
Basically. Yes.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Bipartisanship is mostly a pipe dream. The biggest thing they agree on is to disagree (mostly). There are so many cases where something is rejected and then propose by the other side. I've always joked that even Jesus Christ would have a hard time getting meaningful work done.

Things like this, they enjoy having leverage over each other.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
With Democrats currently in charge of congress and the presidency, Republicans absolutely want the government to shutdown, because people will 100% blame Democrats. Republicans also don't care if people suffer so there is everything to gain and nothing to lose for them.

This wouldn't be a shutdown, this would be the US government defaulting on its debt. Everyone loses. Trillions of wealth disappear and millions of jobs are lost. We would likely plunge into a recession.

Republicans are playing chicken to make the passing of the reconciliation bill harder.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
This wouldn't be a shutdown, this would be the US government defaulting on its debt. Everyone loses. Trillions of wealth disappear and millions of jobs are lost. We would likely plunge into a recession.

Republicans are playing chicken to make the passing of the reconciliation bill harder.

It would be both a default and a shutdown.

And the GOP doesn't care.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

I obviously had a total misread of the situation thanks.

I'll never assume Republicans won't fuck the country over though if it means the Dems have to own it.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can a mod correct the title. in no way will the US government "run out of money" it won't be able legally (which is dubious for multiple reasons) issue new debt.

there is no "lack of money"

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Can a mod correct the title. in no way will the US government "run out of money" it won't be able legally (which is dubious for multiple reasons) issue new debt.

there is no "lack of money"

The title is correct. The Treasury will run out of money to pay its debts after that date. They also would be unable to issue new debt if the debt ceiling isn't raised.

I may be wrong, but I think McConnell has enough sense to not want the government to default. I definitely think there's many in their party that do and that part is taking over.

They don't care as long as the Dems take the blame.

Oct 25, 2017
This has been a political move for going on two decades now, if not more. It's always BS posturing to make the other side look back. The US government has down shut downs before

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the dumb debt ceiling law needs to be removed. It's just a pretend cap that has been raised 30+ times. There's legal ground to nuke it, but both parties like having the leverage for partisan reasons.

Exactly. This is a situation where both parties have kicked the can down the road hoping for their turn to use it for political points. Except that only Republicans are willing to play chicken with the fate of the country while Democrats (rightfully so) aren't willing to tank the country for cheap points. It's not worth it to keep this tool on the field imo.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The title is correct. The Treasury will run out of money to pay its debts after that date. They also would be unable to issue new debt if the debt ceiling isn't raised.

They don't care as long as the Dems take the blame.
it will not run out of money. it won't legally be able to spend. this distinction is what the GOP thrives on. misinforming americans on the nature of fiat money

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
when did this stupid debt ceiling law happen anyway? Or was I just not paying attention previously...because I don't remember a constant threat of government shutdown 20 years ago.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
when did this stupid debt ceiling law happen anyway? Or was I just not paying attention previously...because I don't remember a constant threat of government shutdown 20 years ago.

It's always been a thing but we used to have a surplus decades ago. Debt ceiling only started becoming a reality about 20-30 years ago.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
there was more consensus on things like funding the government and paying bills 20 years ago. just an unfortunate deterioration of the government
also cant stand the gaslighting from the republicans about being fiscally conservative and thats why they won't raise it. fuck off turtle

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
oh his quotes indicate he is more than willing to default to own the libs.

Well, shit. Guess it's hard mode with slim majorities of 50 senators and 218 reps. Roughly two weeks while also trying to pass $4.5T bills. And all this with Sinema being a necessary vote.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Well, shit. Guess it's hard mode with slim majorities of 50 senators and 218 reps. Roughly two weeks while also trying to pass $4.5T bills. And all this with Sinema being a necessary vote.
the GOP already shut down debate on it once in the senate I believe. its ridiculous that the media isn't saying what republicans are doing

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I love how absolutely ZERO other countries on this planet face this issue. Really goes to show that this is solely due to America's own incompetence

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm sure glad the Dems control all levers of power, would be quite the shit show if congress was split between the parties.