• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
(CNN Business)Let's raise our glasses and toast to cheaper wine.
The price of wine is expected to drop to its lowest levels in five years thanks, in part, to a surplus of California grapes.
Combined with a decreased demand for wine, drinkers can expect to get better value for every drop they drink this year. The cheaper prices may even last up to three years.

The main cause of oversupply today is the culmination of a few years of slowing wine shipment growth, with an ample 2018 wine grape crop as an exclamation point," Bitter said. "Until 2015, wine shipments had grown, almost predictively, for two decades. The slowdown in growth has caught the industry by surprise.

Wine consumption has dropped for the first time in 25 years, with more Americans turning to liquor and ready-to-drink cocktails, according to industry group IWSR.

edition.cnn.com

The price of wine is dropping fast

Let's raise our glasses and toast to cheaper wine.

Do you drink wine, Era?

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Portugal so yeah, there's a lot of amazing wine available for cheap prices.
I used to drink more though. Now it's only on some weekend dinners. Very sporadic.

The article seems to focus on the substantial increase in volume of production seen in Cali.

can someone recc. a red wine that is sweet and doesn't taste like dried grapes?
That's grape juice... or is it grape drink?

Some recs
Reds:
Xisto Preto
Cabeça de Burro Reserve
Monte das Servas Reserve
Tapada do Chaves
Quinta do Cardo
Casa Santos Lima Syrah

Whites:
Muralhas de Monção
Alvarinho Deu La Deu
Coutada Velha
Alvarinho - Trajadura

Also there's this low production fizzy white that's only available on a specific region "Mealhada", and it's served with a regional pork dish. That stuff is amazing.
It only comes in smaller half litre bottles. Can't remember it's name though.

I have no clue if any of these are sold outside of Portugal, but anyway...
The most expensive wine on that list is maybe 20 bucks tops.

Last edited:

Hulohot

Banned
Jan 1, 2019
I don't know anyone (that I've asked or eaten with) that drinks wine. It's mostly a parent thing.

I feel it's certainly a trend for younger people to not like wine, so this drop is unsurprising to me.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I think the production increase is limited to US, since Europe has been struggling with the impact of climate change. As a fan of Bourgogne Pinot Noirs and Piemonte Nebbiolos this worries me that the price of quality wine will only push higher as cheaper wines flood the market.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't know anyone (that I've asked or eaten with) that drinks wine. It's mostly a parent thing.

I feel it's certainly a trend for younger people to not like wine, so this drop is unsurprising to me.
Apparently wine consumption dipped for the first time in 25 years in the US. So you feel correctly!
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/4...for-first-time-in-a-quarter-century-last-year
This decrease, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal, is primarily attributed to a generational shift as millennials increasingly turn to alternatives like hard seltzers, cocktails and non-alcoholic beer.

"Millennials are just not embracing wine with open arms compared to previous generations," Brandy Rand, IWSR's chief operating officer for the Americas, told the Journal. "With the rise in low and no-alcohol products and general consumer trends toward health and wellness, wine is in a tough place."

The Journal also noted there has also been a decline in overall alcohol consumption in recent years.
For shame! Wine is the only alcoholic beverage I consistently drink. So many flavours!

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I love my glass of wine at night. Just a shame it's crazy expensive due to additional taxes plus import rates here in Singapore. So prices dropping in general would be good. I'm more about old world wines though.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love whiskey rum and gin and I'm huge on cocktail creation. I never really understood wine for a long time but in the last few years I've grown an appreciation for it and how cheap a bottle can be had for. The amount of diversity and selection is insane due to the high competition and the low price barrier of entry is great. If that's going to trend down for a few years that's a good thing in my books.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
I love my glass of wine at night. Just a shame it's crazy expensive due to additional taxes plus import rates here in Singapore. So prices dropping in general would be good. I'm more about old world wines though.

I drink a glass of wine with dinner almost nightly. It is by far my drink of choice with a meal (I do prefer a good IPA with pizza or sushi). Alcohol truly can enhance a meal (red wine + chocolate = heaven). That said I do mostly limit my after dinner drinking to zero.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What is the sweetest, tastiest, and fairly alcoholic wine someone can recommend?

I love wine that's delicious, doesn't taste like pure alcohol, or some rich weird flavour.

I'm looking for a wine that is like pure sweet nectar.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
What is the sweetest, tastiest, and fairly alcoholic wine someone can recommend?

I love wine that's delicious, doesn't taste like pure alcohol, or some rich weird flavour.

I'm looking for a wine that is like pure sweet nectar.
Sweet? Go for an eiswein (ice wine) which is distilled from the juice of frozen grapes. You'll only drink a small glass though, it's such thick nectar of the gods. Another option would be a Hungarian tokaji, especially if you hit "5 puttonyos" (meaning five crates of grapes were used for your small bottle).

Pizza Luigi

Nov 2, 2017
Wine should not get cheaper, but more expensive. I don't know if you are aware of the natural wine 'trend'. This is wine that is basically just fermented grape juice, as all wine should be, but isn't. Wine is kept cheap by heavily underpaying farmers (large wineries just buy grapes cheaply from grape farmers in the region), adding all kinds of things to the wine to artifically give flavor (sugar, flavourings and fruit juices for taste, industrial yeasts that are designed to carry a certain flavor, animal products like fish gall, gelatine and such to clarify the wine, even things like cement to filter and then there's the sulphites for conserving and stabilizing it) and fatiguing the soil by playing new vines and harvest immediately (instead of waiting the normal 20 years for grapes from a new vine to become drinkable). Of course vines are also heavily sprayed with pesticides and such, even organic ones.

This really should be a 'luxury' product in the sense that every wine should be something special to drink attentively. There are more additives and artificial flavourings in expensive Moet & Chandon than in Coca-Cola, I mean....wtf? I like to drink only natural wine/vins naturels: no headaches, a clear conscience and amazing flavours.

Action Bronson has a cool series about it:
Action Bronson Drinks France's Top Natural Wine - From Paris with Love (Part 1)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I like wine, but tbh, I rather have a good beer than a normal wine.
There's a lot more variation in beer flavor I think, and there's less alcohol, so I drink more in the end :P

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I love wine. It's a bit of an aquired taste for me. In the beginning I only liked white wine and then only on the sweeter side. Nowadays I love red wine and I seldom go for a white.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
I drink a Chilean wine all the time with dinner. I'm going to Portugal later this year so I'll be drinking lots of wine for sure 🙂

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I find it surprising Millenials are the ones killing wine. Feels like many moved on from craft beer to wine. Anecdotal evidence, I guess.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I liked wine for a bit but I just got to a point where I would ask myself "beer or wine?" and beer would win every time.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I used to have a bottle every so often. But man, it got to where I'd get headaches pretty much anytime I had more than one glass. Wasn't worth it.

Wonder why the demand is going down? I know it started to go up after the film Sideways, but that was a long time ago.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
And all the wine is all for me,
And all the wine is all for me,
And all. The wine. Is all foooooooor me.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that demand among the 20 to 30 crowd dropped in favor of White Claws and other spiked seltzers. I know lots of girls that still drink wine but will now just sip on White Claws instead in certain instances.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
_pCq6N.gif

Smitington

Oct 27, 2017
Denver
I enjoy all forms of drinking, and consume them all about equally. My wine consumption has gone way down this year, as my wife is pregnant, and I can't finish a bottle myself before it goes sour.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Great! I really like Pinot Noirs and the few I've had from the Russian valley have been the best but damn expensive. Will be great to see these come down. Spending around $20 or more for bottle is too rich for me.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
So this is mainly US wine, right? I don't usually drink wine, but I don't know if I trust american wine to be as good as european wine. I probably wouldn't choose it myself.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Not surprising. Most younger wine drinkers seem to be women, and they've shifted heavily to hard seltzer.