• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
THQ spent years working on an Avengers video game. This is the story of how it was torn apart.

First there was a bang. The sort of noise that comes from steel-on-steel impact. An unfamiliar sound in an office used to the peaceful clatter of mechanical keyboards. Still, no one batted an eyelid.

Then came the second bang. A third. A fourth.

People began to take notice. One ear at a time, the headphones peeled off. Hordes of men and women, peering over office dividers like confused meerkats. What was that noise? Where was it coming from?

Slowly, it became clear. A full-grown game designer, enraged. He'd picked up the nearest blunt instrument, an umbrella, and began rhythmically battering it on a filing cabinet.

For Charles Henden, who witnessed the incident, this wasn't out of the ordinary. This was game development.

"You know, we've all been there," says Henden. "We've all beaten up a filing cabinet with an umbrella at some point in our careers."

Henden, like everyone else watching, was a game developer, working at the now defunct THQ Studio Australia in Brisbane. In high-pressure environments like this, with incredibly tight deadlines and huge financial stakes, meltdowns were almost common.

"I could probably, from each of the projects that I worked on, give you a story that would just blow your mind," says Rex Dickson, who also worked at the studio around that time.

www.cnet.com

The Avengers Video Game the World Never Got to Play

One developer spent years working on an Avengers game. Then it was torn apart.

Interesting read. There are few videos in that article and I will edit OP as soon as I am at home because editing on mobile is painful.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
LOL Go from Super Skrulls to Super Adaptoids.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
what the hell this is pretty much in some ways like the current avengers game based on the UI lol. esp the major attacks. i wonder if they drew some stuff from this game.

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy. These videogame dev horror stories make me wonder how anyone would want to work for a game studio knowing that almost 4 years of unending crunch could be flushed away in an instant. I know not all development is like this but damn.

FoneBone

Oct 27, 2017
Will read this later. The leaked footage from back in the day looked sorta interesting

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man, that was a rough story, especially the guy who got so badly affected mentally that they had to let him go.

Ever since we first saw the SE Avengers game, I did notice how much the template for that game matched the leaks we saw from this THQ one.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

A build of this game for the 360 already leaked earlier this year.

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
The most interesting part of this to me is the section about the deal with Marvel.

"There was a massive guarantee against that game," explains Bilson. "You had to pay Marvel double-digit millions no matter what."

Basically confirms what everyone knew about Capcom and Marvel.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Great read. This is one of my biggest bummer cancellations of all time along with Prey 2. In an ideal world where this got finished, it looked like it would have been so fun. Especially for the time.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dailey wanted to do something different. So he made a big call with huge ramifications for the Avengers project.

"I said, 'Fuck it', let's make it first-person."

It wasn't quite as abrupt as that, Dailey says, but regardless: It wasn't a popular decision at first.

"It was like a bomb going off," says Henden.

A first-person superhero game. It was a unique idea. The traditional thinking back then -- and even today -- was that licensed video games should be third-person. The prevailing wisdom: Players who bought a superhero game would want to see the superhero they were playing as. A first-person game does the opposite, hiding the licensed character from view, forcing players to watch and play through their eyes.

That the game was first person always stood out the most. Not sure that was a good idea though. Would have been interesting to know how the public would have reacted at a big reveal

Last edited:

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
This was known about for years right? I have the video footage on an old pc hard drive from a few years ago that I showed friends back then so I'm guessing this is just a recap of what was known? Maybe it was on the old site it was talked about? Still remember wishing I could have played the thq game back when it first leaked out.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

A build of this game for the 360 already leaked earlier this year.

So for anyone who isn't a fan of the new Avengers game just know that things could always be worse. lol. Obviously the game was very early (barely even a game yet) and it sounds like it was a rough time for the dev team but looking at that footage I'm not shocked that game was cancelled.

In early footage of released games and even in a lot of footage of unreleased games you can usually see the really core gameplay thing(s) about a game that could be fun or that are fun. Nothing about that footage looked even remotely interesting or fun. It looked like the most PS2 era licensed game garbage.