• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

This will surely calm the markets.

He doesn't even realize that he just confirmed the virus is 60x more lethal than the flu, according to those numbers.
Looking up those numbers, over 35.5 million Americans got the flu last year, with 37,000 dead, which is a mortality rate of ~ 0.1%.

According to these same numbers, Trump's saying the Corona Virus has a kill rate of over 6% (significantly higher than the global average of 2% as well).

That's an INSANELY lethal virus.

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
I bought my first house 3 months before the 2008 crash. My wife and I are actively looking now for a house and I'm terrified we'll be fucked. All these drops are giving me horrible flashbacks.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trump may be stupid and a terrible president... but he didn't cause this.

I would go halfway with this. A recession was probably happening sooner than later as a market correction was inevitable. The administration's handling of the virus outbreak doesn't help at all with the situation.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Trump may be stupid and a terrible president... but he didn't cause this.
Trump's gutting of the CDC's pandemic preparedness and the absolutely inept response from the government has certainly contributed to it.

The US and South Korea both announced their first cases of coronavirus on the same day. Since then, the US has tested over 6,000 people, while South Korea has tested over 196,000.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Trump's gutting of the CDC's pandemic preparedness and the absolutely inept response from the government has certainly contributed to it.

The US and South Korea both announced their first cases of coronavirus on the same day. Since then, the US has tested over 6,000 people, while South Korea has tested over 196,000.
Imagine living in a country that prioritizes public health...

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

The mortality rate in South Korea, where more than 1,100 tests have been administered per million residents, comes out to just 0.6%

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
once you break down the mortality rates by cohort "it's not as bad as the flu" turns into a bad joke. The curve on covid is not close to peaking, millions of people are probably going to fall victim before it does.

The fact that it will be closer to 1 million then 100 is somewhat comforting but it's not nearly enough to make the societal impact of covid marginal

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Tried to explain that to my dad and he wouldn't believe it because "where did they get the test kits from?" If America, the best country in the world, doesn't have enough kits, no other countries with less freedom and production can't have more or have a more effective response, is the conservative logic

Last edited:

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Tried to explain that my dad and he wouldn't believe it because "where did they get the test kits from?" If America, the best country in the world, doesn't have enough kits, no other countries with less freedom and production can't have more or have a more effective response, is the conservative logic
South Korea has roughly half the GDP per capita vs. the U.S. But they have universal health care.

They've tested far more people, with roughly 12x the number of confirmed cases, but only 2x as many deaths (44 vs. 21, as of an article yesterday).

It just kind of drives the point home - here in the states, we really have no clue how many people actually have this. And instead of that being a comfort, as our dumb President* suggests, it's scary because that just means it spreads so much easier. Especially when he's telling folks to keep going to work if they're sick, and so many people are un-/under-insured, fearing bills they can't pay were they to visit a doctor for their symptoms. (With horror stories about that already in the news.)

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It's pretty likely that the actual number of cases in the US is much much higher than it currently is, so I doubt the mortality rate is as bad as it looks right now. The CDC putting out that useless test, being slow to correct it, and slow at scaling up testing has all contributed to the low confirmed case number and high mortality rate. I hope as testing scales up that we have a more accurate case count and the mortality rate isn't as awful as it is here compared to everywhere else. Then again our healthcare system is absolute trash, so maybe we just get fucked...

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Thats not good. Yikes.

what was that deleted tweet on the first page?
Screenshot_20200309-081126_Twitter.jpg

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what would happen if the market crashed? Would we be in another depression or would it not be that bad? Right now, it just feels like it's hurting rich people and I don't really care about as it doesn't affect me. I know nothing about stocks.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what would happen if the market crashed? Would we be in another depression or would it not be that bad? Right now, it just feels like it's hurting rich people and I don't really care about as it doesn't affect me. I know nothing about stocks.
Everyone's retirement would be fucked.

It would hurt a lot of people, not just the 1%.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that people become unemployed

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He doesn't even realize that he just confirmed the virus is 60x more lethal than the flu, according to those numbers.
Looking up those numbers, over 35.5 million Americans got the flu last year, with 37,000 dead, which is a mortality rate of ~ 0.1%.

According to these same numbers, Trump's saying the Corona Virus has a kill rate of over 6% (significantly higher than the global average of 2% as well).

That's an INSANELY lethal virus.
To be fair, south Korea has a huge amount of people tested and has a low death rate (less than 1%)

There's hope that the only reason the virus has a high death rate in certain countries (USA, Italy) is because they are only testing people who have significant symptoms, and all the mild cases fall under the radar. Making the death rate much higher than it really is.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, south Korea has a huge amount of people tested and has a low death rate (less than 1%)

There's hope that the only reason the virus has a high death rate in certain countries (USA, Italy) is because they are only testing people who have significant symptoms, and all the mild cases fall under the radar. Making the death rate much higher than it really is.
True, but remember this is the same administration that refused to acknowledge over 3000 dead Americans in Puerto Rico, claiming the numbers were misleading. Crazy to realize the White House's official death toll is still around 64 people. Total.

The Republican president said Democrats had inflated the number of dead in Puerto Rico "in order to make me look as bad as possible" but he did not provide evidence.

We could have thousands dead of this virus and Trump would claim it was something else or ignore the deaths entirely.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I tought Trump would get a second term, but his bullshit response to covid might actually kill his reelection

May 26, 2018
I tought Trump would get a second term, but his bullshit response to covid might actually kill his reelection

His base is already locked in, and accepts no other source of information than Trump and Trump surrogates. Any deaths of friends or loved ones will be because of the democrats.

Trump will have to be, as he has always been, outvoted by vast superior numbers. You can not bank on alienation.

Feb 1, 2018
I know people are freaking out, and maybe this speaks to my own lack of understanding of economics, but historically speaking, still looks like the rich are doing just fine... :-/

H7yLXFw.png

You don't have to be rich to buy stocks. Anybody with a smartphone and an ID can do it.

The lack of financial education/literacy in this community and social media at large is seriously alarming

His base is already locked in, and accepts no other source of information than Trump and Trump surrogates. Any deaths of friends or loved ones will be because of the democrats.

Trump will have to be, as he has always been, outvoted by vast superior numbers. You can not bank on alienation.
Trump's base is not enough to win re-election; defeating him is not contingent on his FOX News zombies abandoning him.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

It won't be his response that does him in. We are still far away from the election for it to have an impact. What will do him is the economic impact and what could be a recession brewing. The economy is the only thing Trump has going for him. Everyone hates him besides his cult like base, but some people will continue to support him as long as the economy is strong. That's far from certain anymore.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Even "not rich people" have retirements locked up in pensions and 401ks that are directly hit by this.

Wealthy people will be fine, buy more houses, own more businesses, etc.

Normal people will lose their houses, jobs, and retirement as they age.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Wealthy moderates might actually swing for Biden because of all of this. Sure he has his base, but well off people will vote in their own interest and they'll see Biden as someone who is "back to normal" and won't disrupt that much financially, but will actually be an adult in the midst of the chaos.

This is bad for Trump (who barely won the states he needed).