• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
maybe they can count them in reverse so Joe has a huge lead and can tweet STOP THE RECOUNT, then it will get closer and closer, and his relatives can tweet shit like "notice how they keep finding trump ballots when they get to the rural counties? seems odd!! just sayin!" then it will end with a change of like 200 votes and we can be done

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even the counting of those few counties in 2000 went on so long that the state was starting to run out of time because of Republican delay tactics and eventually the Supreme Court decided to stop it and Gore conceded.

I think the strategy here is to cause delay and continuously contest the result so that the state will not be able to certify the result in time.
There's no strategy here because GA goes auto-recount if the opponents are close enough, this is normal

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
It felt like it took 5 centuries just for the mail-in ballots to be counted. And now they have to hand count ALL of them by next Friday? How is that going to be possible?
I believe the reason why the last ballots take so long is that they're the ones that are questionable/need to be cured, etc and take actual scrutiny by humans instead of just going into the machine. Once it's resolved it'll be processed as fast as a normal ballot the next time through. Also what I saw is a "selected" hand recount so they'll just do a sample and double check while the full machine recount goes through.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
It felt like it took 5 centuries just for the mail-in ballots to be counted. And now they have to hand count ALL of them by next Friday? How is that going to be possible?

As stated up-thread, they already have all the ballots and have already tossed out the spoiled ones and verified the provisionals, etc., etc. That's the stuff that really takes a long time. Right now, all they have to do is count.

It's going to be hilarious if the recount finishes and Biden actually gains like 150 votes or something.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the reason why the last ballots take so long is that they're the ones that are questionable/need to be cured, etc and take actual scrutiny by humans instead of just going into the machine. Once it's resolved it'll be processed as fast as a normal ballot the next time through. Also what I saw is a "selected" hand recount so they'll just do a sample and double check while the full machine recount goes through.
As stated up-thread, they already have all the ballots and have already tossed out the spoiled ones and verified the provisionals, etc., etc. That's the stuff that really takes a long time. Right now, all they have to do is count.

It's going to be hilarious if the recount finishes and Biden actually gains like 150 votes or something.
Ah, fantastic then. Thanks for the info.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Recounts rarely change more than a couple hundred votes at max.
Additionally, contrary to popular belief our Republican SoS is actually a competent person unlike Kemp was so I expect this to go smoothly. No worries from me on this one.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Reminder:

- This has nothing to do with Trump trying to dispute the election

- This is a ploy to keep *the base* riled up until the Senate runoffs

- Aka it's a long term play to hamstring a Biden administration so Mitch can keep control of the Senate

- Republican leaders are going to completely drop Trump off the map the second the runoffs are over

- It's quite literally the new "immigrant caravan"

- If you live in Georgia, register to vote

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
5MMXNxc.jpg

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Yeah for those that don't know this recount was state law due to how tight it was (less than 0.5%) and has fuck all to do with Trump or the show of the "concerned" GA republican legislators.
No it does not.

georgia.gov

Election Recount Rules in Georgia

State law does not require an automatic recount of votes. However, a candidate can request a recount if the difference between the number of votes is not more than 1%. That request has to be made within two business days of the results being certified. Other common situations where a recount may...

Other states due but Georgia is not one of them.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
No it does not.

georgia.gov

Election Recount Rules in Georgia

State law does not require an automatic recount of votes. However, a candidate can request a recount if the difference between the number of votes is not more than 1%. That request has to be made within two business days of the results being certified. Other common situations where a recount may...

Other states due but Georgia is not one of them.

It is auto-recount, unless I misunderstand your meaning.

Recount laws in Georgia

Ballotpedia: The Encyclopedia of American Politics

• Can a recount be requested?
    • Yes. Election officials, including the secretary of state, may request recounts under certain circumstances explained below. These recounts may be conducted before the certification of election results. A losing candidate may also request a recount if the margin is less than or equal to 0.5%. This threshold was set in 2019 following the passage of H.B. 319. Georgia's official website describing its recount rules contains outdated information. There are no set deadlines for the completion of a candidate-requested recount.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It is auto-recount, unless I misunderstand your meaning.

Recount laws in Georgia

Ballotpedia: The Encyclopedia of American Politics
Georgia law doesn't require a recount if the final results are 0.5% or under. It can be requested if it's that close.

This is different from, for example Florida, which requires are recount if the finally results are 0.5%.

There was always going to be a recount in Georgia but that is because of how close it was there was no way that either side wouldn't request one.

And as shown up thread. This is technically not a recount, as Georgia recounts are done by scanners not hand counts.

This is an risk limiting audit that they decided to recount everything rather than a certain percentage like normal.

It still functions as a recount because of how the audit is being done, but it technically was not.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Georgia law doesn't require a recount if the final results are 0.5% or under. It can be requested if it's that close.

This is different from, for example Florida, which requires are recount if the finally results are 0.5%.

There was always going to be a recount in Georgia but that is because of how close it was there was no way that either side wouldn't request one.

And as shown up thread. This is technically not a recount, as Georgia recounts are done by scanners not hand counts.

This is an risk limiting audit that they decided to recount everything rather than a certain percentage like normal.

It still functions as a recount because of how the audit is being done, but it technically was not.
Ok I see the distinction here thanks.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I'm in Georgia - very proud to have voted for Biden.

I also fully support the recount as long as it puts the matter to rest. Biden will win at 14,000+.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami

It's actually not clear (maybe the SoS will clear it up) that they intend to hand count 100% of the ballots. What they determined was that collecting a sample of ballots was going to be a waste of time/effort but since the goal here is to audit the ballot counting system unless major discrepancies are discovered early on there may be a threshold where the SoS feels satisfied that a large enough number of ballots were checked to end the audit.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
The republicans are doing everything possible to keep the base motivated in Georgia for the run offs. A hand count just invites more coverage and bullshit.

Bengraven