• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck would I do that when Apple does literally nothing in the process of streaming games?
It's not perfect, but it'd be better than this situation and some users would pay. Some (like you) wouldn't, which is fine. Idk, like I said, I recommend everyone just get a cheap Android phone or table to stream games. Samsung's A series work well and so does a Kindle Fire once you sideload the play store.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The difference is that it's in the appstore. That's the difference, and that will always be the difference. You can't start differentiating apps in this way, it will never end and then there will never be clear rules. The appstore has guidelines, safari does not.

But an alternative browser could be in the AppStore. Personally I use Brave, a browser with lots of privacy conscious features. It's sending my inputs to an arbitrary remote server, which is then executing logic based upon that. Some of these things are transactions. Why doesn't Apple get a 30% cut of that?

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but I genuinely don't see the difference between these things. Both a browser and xCloud are programs which capture your input, send that input to a remote server, then receive instructions from the remote server on what to render locally on the phone. The difference is that with a browser it's uploading form-data and JSON and downloading HTML and JSON from an infinite number of hosting entities, and with xCloud it would upload a raw octet-stream and download a video from only a single hosting entity (Microsoft).

Actually typing it out, I think this is the key difference; it's impossible to be a middle-man for browser transactions because browsers cannot detect that it's happening, and there are an infinite number of hosts so it is not a tractable problem to partner with all of them. But with xCloud, Microsoft is the only host and can detect when a transaction is happening, so it is tractable for them to do it. I don't think that makes it right, but that is why it is happening.

May 10, 2019
Apple now says that game streaming services, such as Google Stadia and Microsoft xCloud, are explicitly permitted. But there are conditions: Games offered in the service need to be downloaded directly from the App Store, not from an all-in-one app. App makers are permitted to release a so-called "catalog app" that links to other games in the service, but each game will need to be an individual app.

FatherlyEagerDwarfrabbit-size_restricted.gif

May 9, 2018
Damn.. I don't know how they'll get around this. Ok, let me ask y'all this: Does MS necessarily need iOS to make streaming on mobile a complete success? When it comes to mobile I don't know shit😅
As a rule of thumb, iOS apps generate much, much more revenue than the corresponding Android apps (albeit in this case, where payments are not done with the app itself, the economics are weirder)

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's not perfect, but it'd be better than this situation and some users would pay. Some (like you) wouldn't, which is fine. Idk, like I said, I recommend everyone just get a cheap Android phone or table to stream games. Samsung's A series work well and so does a Kindle Fire once you sideload the play store.
Why though. A fee for using data with my phone? It makes no sense. All of this makes no sense for me as a consumer.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
App per game AND IAP have to go through apple's system and Apple takes a 30% cut?

LOL

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm okay with them getting a profit. But it should be a monthly fee that's based on the number of users. One than Microsoft and Google could pay. Or they could just charged the users an additional $3 a month to stream on iOS. Like an online pass that's needed in addition to the services. It's still annoying, but I'd pay that to be able to play on an iPad Pro.

If Microsoft were unwilling to take a hit on the $15 GPU price, they'd have to raise prices by just under 42.8%, to $21.42/month. I think most gamers would be fine with this, especially if they can just bypass the extra cost and login with an existing Game Pass Ultimate sub.

My concern would just be the quality of life stuff beyond that. Like:

- Does each individual app auto-sign-in to Xbox Live once I've installed it?
- Can I launch games from the catalog app?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This seems way too convoluted to jive with xcloud. If I purchase DLC for Gears 5 on my xbox, should I be able to access it while streaming to my phone?

ScubaSteve693

Banned
Mar 26, 2020
Why though. A fee for using data with my phone? It makes no sense. All of this makes no sense for me as a consumer.
Agreed, I already bought their device, I shouldn't be forced to use their app store that literally does nothing in a situation in which I am using my data providers plan to stream the game. Apple is providing nothing in this situation other than the device in which I already paid for.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in agreement with you. It's far from ideal. Buy you know that want their cut. I'd rather do that then deal with a bunch of apps. But in the end, I'd prefer for it to work like it does on Android.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
This is not really a win. Having a seperate app for each streaming game will just not work. They basically "allowed" it and said but here's our terms that to a judge in an antitrust will look fine but in real life can't be implemented. It's like it Netflix was required to make a seperate app for each movie and TV show. It's ridiculous.

I say this as an iPhone user who doesn't want to switch to android. It's a terrible, terrible position.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For fuck's sake. They were SO close to getting a bunch of goodwill from people. I don't know if it's fundamental misunderstanding of what Xcloud and Stadia actually *do*, or if it's just pig-headed ignorance...

Wait... Hang on...

Oh, yeah, I know *exactly* which of those two it is.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
They've really been on a roll with shitty ass decisions lately. Fingers crossed the Epic law suit ends up with them being required to offer signed side loading via Safari install (think basically macOS apps outside the App Store), all this willfully convoluted stuff about game streaming wouldn't even be a matter of debate.

Basquiat

alt account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
This sounds the same as it was before, which is pretty much incompatible with Game Pass' buisness model.

It also sounds incompatible with Stadia. For example: devs are now supposed to take a smaller cut, so stadia can get a cut on top of apple's 30%? Or Maybe Sradia could work if they just raise prices? Stadia and devs would have to raise prices of $60 games to $87 if they didn't want Apple's cut affecting thier bottom line, which would just mean that gamers on iOS would be getting screwed.
For stadia, surely the game can just be bought on the web and used on iOS? The iOS app would be a free download which uses your google details to authenticate whether you have access to that particular cloud game.

This whole thing seems indefensible on apples part.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Agreed, I already bought their device, I shouldn't be forced to use their app store that literally does nothing in a situation in which I am using my data providers plan to stream the game. Apple is providing nothing in this situation other than the device in which I already paid for.
I'm in agreement with you. It's far from ideal. Buy you know that want their cut. I'd rather do that then deal with a bunch of apps. But in the end, I'd prefer for it to work like it does on Android.
In the end they will loose customers over this. I would not buy a phone where I can't stream music or videos like I want. If streaming games becomes as important as this, people will leave.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Finally. Was already looking for a cheap android tablet to get my streaming fix. Now I might even consider selling my 2018 iPad in order to get an iPad Pro.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
Any chance of Microsoft at least bringing some of their own games to iOS with these rules? The service as a whole might not work, but putting a couple of their games up for purchase seems possible?

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
For stadia, surely the game can just be bought on the web and used on iOS? The iOS app would be a free download which uses your google details to authenticate whether you have access to that particular cloud game.

This whole thing seems indefensible on apples part.

You'd assume you could. Like, either purchase it straight up in the app, or login to your stadia account.

Depending on how much work it would be to create these individual apps, it could still be worth it for MS and Google to do. I just don't see what changed exactly from Google previous stance. It sounds like Microsoft and Google could jave always done this, but opted not to?

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
They should make the app store really safe and consumer friendly by having individual movies and shows on video streaming services have separate listings on the app store. Hell, to be extra safe, maybe individual seasons or individual episodes should have independent listings and apps.

Nov 9, 2017
as in, steam on the pc?

well sure, but that's because you're installing locally to your machine.
these are streamed games.

this is like netflix having to have an app for every single tv series.

Ok....but wasn't the point of xCloud to install the games on the devices as well as streaming? Again - I could be wrong here because I have zero interests in GamePass or Stadia (I only play PS games mostly and while I do have a X1X, it's honestly my Ninja Gaiden machine when I'm in the mood for it).

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Ok....but wasn't the point of xCloud to install the games on the devices as well as streaming? Again - I could be wrong here because I have zero interests in GamePass or Stadia (I only play PS games mostly and while I do have a X1X, it's honestly my Ninja Gaiden machine when I'm in the mood for it).
installing them? Like on the device? It's a streaming service, iOS devices don't run Xbox games. You play on consoles/servers in the cloud

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
??? no idea why people think this at all. Do you really think XCloud on iOS will become... a non-streaming service? Somehow? The "apps" will be 1kb downloads that either redirect to the main XCloud app, or just instant launch the streaming game. Halo Infinite will not be 100GB on iOS. It is still game streaming.

Small size apps for cataloging sounds reasonable. I'm guessing it'll all be seamlessly done within the cloud service apps so the user isn't downloading the apps themselves.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Any chance of Microsoft at least bringing some of their own games to iOS with these rules? The service as a whole might not work, but putting a couple of their games up for purchase seems possible?
I'm guessing that would probably upset more people than are pleased with it. "X game is on iOS, but Y game isn't!? This sucks Microsoft!" when it's really Apple's issue.

Jun 20, 2019
Apple isn't requiring IAP, I don't know where people are getting that. If a game has features that you have to pay to unlock, then you need to provide IAP through the App Store. Otherwise, no. This rule wouldn't impact any xCloud games.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

You install games on Game Pass but xCloud is streaming only.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
These new guidelines do not improve a damn thing. I really love my iPad, but seems this will be the only device I gonna own from them.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
How does this change anything. Apple is trying to look decent here but they're not.
Microsoft isn't going to agree to this because they won't want people playing their games with zero in app purchases.

time is money

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that would probably upset more people than are pleased with it. "X game is on iOS, but Y game isn't!? This sucks Microsoft!" when it's really Apple's issue.

Eh, thats already how it works between gamepass PC and Xbox. There are many games available on both platforms, that only launch on console gamepass.. presumably, because of exclusivity deals with Epic

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Once again completely ignoring GeForce Now's struggles over the last five+ years with Apple. This is not new ground. If I want to play a game I already own on a cloud server I'm not downloading a new app for it

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Also this makes a perfect case as to why alternative app stores are a good thing. These policies are illogical and only serve to benefit the platform holder at the expense of developers and the users.

Yep. I Just think more needs to be done to make those alternate app stores viable too. Android allows them, and thats a first step, but so many consumers don't even know about them. That needs to change. This shit is waaaay to locked down right now, its gross.

Oct 25, 2017
So just list gamepass games individually and have the gamepass app catalog them. The apps will take 3 seconds to download and take almost no space.

it's annoying for both users and MS but

Jun 20, 2019
Anyway, I think Apple might be on shaky ground here not because of Netflix but because of JavaScript games in the browser. Those meet all of the criteria for "streaming games" if they use any server-side processing but have never been required to approach the App Store in this way.