Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Country Music Television is no longer airing Jason Aldean's music video "Try That In A Small Town," which sparked criticism after its release Friday.

The TV network pulled the video from rotation, a CMT spokesperson confirmed to USA TODAY in an email Wednesday.

The network stopped showing the music video after Aldean, who survived a mass shooting while he performed in 2017, faced backlash for the song, which many perceived as being in favor of gun violence and lynching.

Not long after the video's release, online critics highlighted the song lyrics as emblematic of songs heightening gun violence and lynching sentiments upon many in his rural, small-town fan base.

"Cuss out a cop, spit in his face / Stomp on the flag and light it up / Yeah, ya think you're tough / Well, try that in a small town / See how far ya make it down the road / Around here, we take care of our own / You cross that line, it won't take long / For you to find out, I recommend you don't / Try that in a small town," Aldean sings.

Viewers also noted that scenes in the video were shot at the Maury County Courthouse in Columbia, Tennessee, where a Black man named Henry Choate, 18, was lynched in 1927. The site is also where the infamous Columbia Race Riot occurred in 1946.

www.usatoday.com

CMT pulls Jason Aldean video: What to know about 'Try That In A Small Town' controversy

Country Music Television is no longer airing Jason Aldean's "Try That In A Small Town" after the video and the song's lyrics sparked criticism.

LYRICS
Sucker punch somebody on a sidewalk
Carjack an old lady at a red light
Pull a gun on the owner of a liquor store
Ya think it's cool, well, act a fool if ya like
Cuss out a cop, spit in his face
Stomp on the flag and light it up
Yeah, ya think you're tough
Well, try that in a small town
See how far ya make it down the road
Around here, we take care of our own
You cross that line, it won't take long
For you to find out, I recommend you don't
Try that in a small town
Got a gun that my granddad gave me
They say one day they're gonna round up
Well, that shit might fly in the city, good luck
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Full of good ol' boys, raised up right
If you're looking for a fight
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Try that in a small town
Ooh-ooh
Try that in a small town

Aldean's statement

View: https://twitter.com/Jason_Aldean/status/1681382697875144717?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

In the past 24 hours I have been accused of releasing a pro-lynching song (a song that has been out since May) and was subject to the comparison that I (direct quote) was not too pleased with the nationwide BLM protests. These references are not only meritless, but dangerous. There is not a single lyric in the song that references race or points to it- and there isn't a single video clip that isn't real news footage -and while I can try and respect others to have their own interpretation of a song with music- this one goes too far.

As so many pointed out, I was present at Route 91-where so many lost their lives- and our community recently suffered another heartbreaking tragedy. NO ONE, including me, wants to continue to see senseless headlines or families ripped apart.

Try That In A Small Town, for me, refers to the feeling of a community that I had growing up, where we took care of our neighbors, regardless of differences of background or belief. Because they were our neighbors, and that was above any differences. My political views have never been something I've hidden from, and I know that a lot of us in this Country don't agree on how we get back to a sense of normalcy where we go at least a day without a headline that keeps us up at night. But the desire for it to- that's what this song is about.

Not exactly hard to read between the lines here. Especially with the whole courthouse thing. He knew exactly what he was doing and saying in my opinion.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Look, all I'm saying is we'd fucking murder you for any perceived transgression. It's not a big deal.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
Literally 100% song about "mob justice" , and not even about folks committing actual crimes.

First amendment only applies to not being asked to be a fascist at a college speech.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
"We used to take care of our neighbors in the good old days as long as our neighbors were white and believed the same thing we did"

All of these assholes and corporations have monetized white fragility to a staggering degree.

OP
OP
Coyote Starrk

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I also like how one of his arguments is "My obviously racist and violent song has been out since May guys."

As if that means it's been out long enough to no longer receive criticism.

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Make a song about mob justice and then act like the victim when you get called out about it. Yup sounds about white.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
Growing up in a small town, those lyrics are bullshit. No one there cares about each other. And they sure a shit don't care about cops. Lol.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Full of good ol' boys, raised up right
If you're looking for a fight

Yeah, sure, just a total misunderstanding, totally innocent lyrics.

Pardon me, I need to see the optometrist as my eyes have rolled up into my skull.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It's interesting the chud defense force focuses on the song which is cliche'd and non-offensive (as far as dogwhistle country goes, lol) on its own and not the video that got pulled; even the artist tried to dance around it saying it was a variety of 'real' footage and up for 'interpretation'.

CanadianGoose

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 23, 2023
Small towns are where folks go to hide from the law tho. Good ol Terry across the street? He moved to the town so he could abuse his kids and keep em from their mother. Janis? oi, nice lady who just happens to like a white hood.

Like jfc, the romanticization of rural towns is far from the reality.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I know when someone says "Don't let dark catch your black ass around here"

Bengraven