Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
www.destructoid.com

Review: Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics

This game is never leaving my Switch home screen Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics is going to be a must-play...

This game is never leaving my Switch home screen
[...]
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics might sound generic at first blush, but it's secretly one of the best Nintendo Switch games of 2020. It's the right game at the right time with the right temperament.​

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EGM (5/5):
No matter if you want something to help pass the time, are looking for new ways to connect with family and friends, or simply wish you could finally learn how to play those classic card and board games you've yet to try, Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics is a stellar collection that provides an extensive selection of games without ever feeling overwhelming.

Destructoid (8.5/10):
It's a testament to Nintendo's design chops that a 51-game collection with roots in ancient history (as well as its own 130-year-old corporate history) can feel so fresh, approachable, and cohesive.

Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics might sound generic at first blush, but it's secretly one of the best Nintendo Switch games of 2020. It's the right game at the right time with the right temperament.

PCMag (4/5):
The Nintendo Switch is a convenient video game console that lets you play on the TV screen at home and in your hands on the go. With Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics, the console's convenience grows with the addition of more than 50 proven gems in a single package—even if those games are by no means exclusive to this collection. Still, the compilation's polished execution makes it a safe recommendation. You can always find someone willing to play checkers. Can you say the same about Zelda?

Cubed3 (8/10):
Previous compilation titles from Nintendo have often bundled in controllers to these types of packages to help them sell, such as including a Wii-mote in Wii Play and Wii Party U, essentially making the game great value for money. 51 Worldwide Games, doesn't do this. Instead, this can stand tall knowing that it compiles a number of brilliantly addictive games that can be fun to play alone or with friends. Almost all can be played in a quick pick-up and play fashion, which can be handy for those looking to play in short bursts, whether on a short commute, or a party scenario. Online match-making should perhaps be refined so that people match players, first and select games after, but this aside 51 Worldwide Games is a fantastic budget title that all Nintendo Switch owners should buy!

VGC (8/10):
That's the beauty of the games night compilation; if a particular activity isn't to your taste, then there's still 50 others from which you'll surely find a favourite. At a time when family time has never been more abundant, 51 Worldwide Games could turn out to be a classic.

Vooks (4/5):
51 Worldwide Games does no more or no less than you would expect from it. It's a tidy little package with a lot of value but doesn't go out of its way to wow you, aside from its grandiose presentation. The annoying and weird restrictions on three and four-player games are silly but won't take away from the fun you can have. These games have stood the test of time, and they're even more fun all together in this package.

Press Start Australia (7.5/10):
51 Worldwide Games is a solid mini game collection that will definitely be a fun time among family and friends. There's some inconsistency (as well as some glaring omissions) in the mini games collection as well as some of the confusing control schemes.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Here's our review.
This is a great collection with tonnes of content and replayability.

powerup-gaming.com

51 Worldwide Games Review (Switch) – 51 Essential Items - PowerUp!

This collection of 51 tabletop, board and card games for the Switch is pretty damn good. 51 Worldwide Games (or Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics) is exactly as described on the box. It's a digital collection of 51 of the world's most famous, best-loved and most played games. Instead of...

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Polygon (no score):
This is a simple package, with an unassuming title and cover, is already one of my favorite releases of the year. Nintendo may have released the perfect game at the perfect time with Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and it looks like the company may be able to repeat the same trick when Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics is released on June 5.

Nintendo World Report (review in progress):
51 Worldwide Games really came as a surprise. With 51 games to choose from, I wasn't lacking in choice. More than half of the games I kept playing almost every day, with others being picked up ever so often. Naturally, there could've been more 3- or 4-player offerings for you to play, but that doesn't diminish the fun we had. What helps is that the games are well represented, offer small tweaks and offer crucial information for newcomers. In a multiplayer setting, be it locally or far away, this game is one of the better offerings on Nintendo Switch to date. This is where many will get the most mileage out of this new Clubhouse entry.

USgamer (4.5/5):
If you're ready to slow down a bit on Animal Crossing: New Horizons, but you want to keep that good, warm feeling going for a while longer, Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics is worth your time and money. Its clean, charming interface guides you through a wide selection, including classic card games, complex board games based in deep traditions, and simple pastimes that let you fiddle with toys. Don't know how to play something? No problem: 51 Worldwide Classics will happily teach you. It's a great choice for single players and families alike.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good review. Preordered 10 days ago already. Can't Wait for Friday. My GF only play monopoly on TVshe don't like normal games. This will make her very happy

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mashable (no score):
Despite some minor annoyances, Clubhouse Games is a welcome $40 distraction from the crumbling world outside. This isn't some branded cash grab like that lovably crummy old Mario game I told you about earlier. It's confidently modest new packaging for games that are older than any of us and will surely outlive us, too. Clubhouse Games knows exactly what it needs to be and doesn't aspire to much else. We could probably all learn from that.

Digitally Downloaded (4.5/5):
Nintendo first released a Clubhouse Games way back on the Nintendo DS, about 15 years ago now. It was a brilliant example of the company's ability to appeal to a broad audience then and now, a decade and a half later, the company has backed it up resoundingly. Putting aside the presence of Ludo - which will forever be the worst board game ever made - 51 Worldwide Games is a pristine package of some of the most valuable cultural properties we have, and it is truly masterful at explaining even the most complex of them to a completely new audience. This is a rare opportunity to learn something about artefacts as wide-ranging as Chess, Mahjong, Hanafuda, and Mancala. That's not something you should miss out on.

Nintendo Enthusiast (9/10):
Granted, many of the included games in Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics can be found as standalone apps on mobile devices (and even on Switch). However, none come to mind that have the same level of polish that this has. Clubhouse Games uses the Switch hardware in creative and technical ways, and Nintendo's signature quirky charm oozes all around here and makes for a fun collection that provides basically endless amounts of entertainment.

COGconnected (86/100):
I expected Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics to be packed with content, and of course with 51 games it certainly is. But what I didn't expect was how well done the overall package would be. This is a game collection that is both accessible and easy to pick up and play, yet surprisingly chock-full of enriching content like How to Play guides that will make you want to dive deeper into each of the games and learn about them as you do. Sure, realistically, you are not going to like all of the games, but if even half of these offerings tickles your fancy this is still a must-have. And, let's be clear: there isn't quite the charm or polish of some Nintendo titles like Mario or Zelda, but the interface and menus are slick and this is a quality product. At the current price of $39.99 Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics really is a world of games you can take with you wherever you go.

Nintendo Life (8/10):
Compilation games like Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics always have a variety of hits and misses depending on your own personal taste, but there's a wide enough variety of board, card and action games here that you're sure to find a number that will appeal to you. Everything's presented with charm and warmth (terribly-written cutscenes aside) and there's an enormous amount of content on offer, whether you plan on playing solo or with others. The perfect game for lockdown? Quite possibly.

My Nintendo News (8/10):
We could go into detail about each game, like how reeling the fish in with your Joy-Con is more enjoyable than doing so in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, or how satisfying it is to land a series of punches in Toy Boxing, but there's so much to cover. Rest assured, though, as what we have here is a polished, well-presented package which celebrates diversity and highlights the fondness of playing together while not breaking the bank.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
By the way, I know this is not the right place to ask but, I wonder why the reviews for Borderlands, Bioshock and XCOM 2 Collections are taking so long?

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer (recommended):
Every now and then I get a reminder that video games are magic. And weirdly, this collection of things that pre-date video games has reminded me just how magical video games are. This is a history of the world, in part. It's also a TARDIS of fun. It's wonderful.

Stevivor (9/10):
If you enjoy board games, card games or dice games and own a Nintendo Switch, this one's really a no-brainer. Priced at $60 AUD, you'll certainly get more than your money's worth from this collection.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
51 Worldwide Games showcases Nintendo doing what Nintendo do best. They've taken a simple idea, and put it together in an utterly charming way. There's so much here to enjoy, cramming in a host of games and experiences that could keep you, your family, and your friends playing together for many years to come. Best of all, you can't lose any of the pieces!

God is a Geek (7/10):
51 Worldwide Games feels like a really solid collection with plenty of variation, even if it does lack depth. Whether you're looking for a way to play various games either solo or with friends, this is simple and straightforward, and will scratch a really familiar itch. There's plenty of different experiences to sink your teeth into, and have a laugh with friends. It's unlikely you'll be wowed by any game individually, but you'll likely learn a few new ones as you play through the whole collection. It's not as grand as say Mario Party, or even as quirky as Wii Sports, but with 51 to choose from, there really is a game for everyone, and plenty of simple fun to be had.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the main problem is that most of the experience you can't play with more than 2 people.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hyped but the multiplayer decisions they made are disappointing. I was going to download an extra copy for my company to have some fun on fridays but I don't think I will do so given how limited the multiplayer is.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the main problem is that most of the experience you can't play with more than 2 people.
yeah. which is indeed an annoyance, which itself is offset by the fact that there are 51 games on here. pros and cons.

i'm having an online video chat with friends this Friday, we're all playing this game -- like, a group of maybe 5 people -- and i guess we're going to have to split up into pairs to play properly.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
I expected lower score ! Of course it's a great package,loved the DS game,will totally buy this one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GoNintendo (video review)

STACK (5/5):
While many will suspect an ethos of quantity over quality here, it really isn't the case. Sure, none of the individual games are A-list titles on their own, but all of them are eminently playable and slickly presented. As is the way with such things, everybody will have their favourites.

GamingBoulevard (8/10):
51 Worldwide Games is a great addition to the Nintendo Switch as it offers hours of fun for a smaller price. The games are well-curated and offer something for everyone to enjoy. It's entertaining to play on your own but the game truly shines in multiplayer. If you're looking for a more traditional form of entertainment, this is one you simply need to own.

Gamereactor (8/10):
In the long run, I'd like to see more tempting competitive additions implemented to multiply its lasting appeal, but so far 51 Worldwide Games actually makes many tabletop oldies more attractive to learn and enjoyable to play. Playing Ludo this way isn't a game-changer, but this may help you learn Backgammon at last. It is beautiful, clear and captivating, and perhaps the very best classic board and card games collection there is.

PowerUp! (8/10):
There's a reason why the games included in this collection have been around as long as they have. In some cases, centuries. They're fun and easy to learn. They also don't tend to take too long so you're always ready to play another round or choose another. It's a really quick and easy way to pass some time.

Critical Hit (7/10):
It's a simple digital collection of old standards, card games, mechanical toys and pub classics - though not all of them transfer well to the medium. Those that do are a delight to play. It doesn't have the usual charm you'd find in Nintendo games, but the presentation makes up for it with familiarity, fun tutorials and interesting bits of trivia.

GAMINGbible (7/10):
For what it is, and as a successor to the DS's Clubhouse Games of 2005 (bloomin' heck, how time flies), 51 Worldwide Games is perfect, really. Does that make it a perfect video game? Clearly, no. It's a very recommended collection for super-convenient family-time play, with a handful of attractions that will become regular favourites - like I said, its bowling is dangerously close to becoming an obsession. But it's not something that can be scored alongside a Breath of the Wild, a Persona 5 or a Witcher 3. So while the number below might not immediately scream buy this, if you're hankering for a fine-indeed mini-game collection for your Switch, they don't come much finer than this one.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more interested in the less-common games like Mancala, and there's really no other place to get them. $40 is quite a deal for everything we're getting here, I can't wait until Friday.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Anyone know which games you can play online?
Anything that's not single-player only games are all available online. The preview thread has a lot more info:

www.resetera.com

Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics || Preview Thread

the biggest switch game for June just got some previews Pixelkabinett https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLHhe2YlvbA Gonintendo https://youtu.be/_dkzqY0bFd8 Gaming Boulevard (Handheld Play) https://youtu.be/eJ09wDrvCfQ Gamexplain (7 Details) https://youtu.be/KyiKE3v9P5o

Decent, but not extremely difficult. According to some reviewers. They still recommend human players > AI players.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I liked the first game. Sounds like I'll like this one. I just wish there was more depth to the individual games so that I could love these games. Regardless, it'll be a great time killer that will probably never leave my Switch.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I liked the first game. Sounds like I'll like this one. I just wish there was more depth to the individual games so that I could love these games. Regardless, it'll be a great time killer that will probably never leave my Switch.

Some of the games in here like Chess, Shogi, and Mahjong have more depth then tons of games released since then even if they are mechanically fairly simple. Course there are plenty of old and outdated games in this collection that are clearly here to pad the roster (four in a row, last card, war, dots and boxes) or just gimmicky mini games (bowling, the toy games, the wii play games). They'll probably still be fun in short bursts or with friends.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Some of the games in here like Chess, Shogi, and Mahjong have more depth then tons of games released since then even if they are mechanically fairly simple. Course there are plenty of old and outdated games in this collection that are clearly here to pad the roster (four in a row, last card, war, dots and boxes) or just gimmicky mini games (bowling, the toy games, the wii play games). They'll probably still be fun in short bursts or with friends.
I didnt mean the depth of the games themselves, I meant the options available within each game. But I'm also not really expecting huge depth in that regard with a game that includes 51 playable games. If it did, I'd love it.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Never thought I'd be so excited to play a bunch of ancient, simple games. Gimmie!