• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azoor

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Having two games failing one after the other must have been really devastating for him. I haven't played Radical Heights, but Lawbreakers was fun :/

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
zSIRh.jpg
RAP

May 17, 2018
Hardly a surprise. Cliff and his team spend years making an awesome game, only for it to release to weekly updates and forum posts virtually cheering it's low player count, and videos like crowbcat's making fun of his personal life.

Dude has said some dumb shit, no doubt, but, the reaction to Lawbreakers was fucked up. I'd jump ship if the same happened to me.

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
He speak like the only option is being stuck with indie development. The guy played a huge role in developing games like Gears of War, so any big publisher would probably hire him.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, Telltale left their employees on the fucking gutter. Cliff is awesome if he did this.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus at that entitled tweet he responded to asking for a refund because the game didn't do well.
lol, people are entitled for expecting an online game to not die so soon after release?

What's reasonable about wanting money back for a game you "supported", and complaining about "wasting" the money on the developer's incomes instead?
Because the servers were taken down and the game is unplayable?

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Cliff can run a little hot from time to time. He probably needs some more time removed from the lawbreakers situation, but I think he'll come back. You can tell just by how he conducts himself in interviews that his mind is racing 100mph. He's too creative to just sit at home.

He's a great idea man, I'd love for him to join an already well established team that can kind of put the reigns on him a tad. Then he can just focus solely on new ideas and game mechanics rather than running a team and trying to market a game.
Like he did great at Epic. I wish he'd consider just going back to them or working at the Coalition

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
He should partner up with Phil Fish for a return years down the road, both of them were great developers that just let things get to their head too easily. I think it'd be great to see them take that passion and turn it on its head and the industry and make something great from it, rather then just giving up and going away.

It's their choice though and I wish Cliffy the best, thanks for all the great games and memories I had playing them.

I don't think they're anything alike. If Cliff's last project and company wasnt a catastrophic failure he'd still be ignoring people like this guy and making games.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i thought he said he retired when boss key shut down. i'm like 90% sure this is very old news...

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Meanwhile in that tweet chain, just below someone said they only got help weeks in advance, not months. Nice lie cliffy.

Hes not fit to make games sadly. This entire thing feels like Phil Fish again except Phil hasent made anything else.

Sindee

Banned
Oct 26, 2018
CliffyB gave me UT99 and many years of fun. I wish him the best on all his future endeavors.

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of his but he had a good run, if you erase the last few years.

I'll always remember Gears 1 multiplayer, it was something else.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Sad to see 2 of my fav game directors David Jaffe (God of War) and Cliffy B (Gears) are nowhere near where they used to be.

Oct 27, 2017
Hardly a surprise. Cliff and his team spend years making an awesome game, only for it to release to weekly updates and forum posts virtually cheering it's low player count, and videos like crowbcat's making fun of his personal life.

Dude has said some dumb shit, no doubt, but, the reaction to Lawbreakers was fucked up. I'd jump ship if the same happened to me.

It was brought in all wrong. It was a ftp game that then went to pay? What do you think would have happened if it started ftp? It probably wouldn't have been as bad. The game was a pr disaster and was not high profile enoigh to overcome it. By the time it did go ftp br was already a thing and they did not have time to course correct. Cliffy's attitude toward the core community wasn't a big deal before, but now in the age of Twitter's, YouTube's , and twitches the community influencers who were needed to get the game off the ground had already checked out.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man cliffy b is like trump, just can't keep quite on Twitter which screws him!

The guy makes good games, lawbreakers was just bad combination of cliffy PR, launch dates and platform choices

Oct 31, 2017
I don't blame him at all. I'm sure what his tastes and interests are about video games are definitively not what are the big-time successes in the game industry now + the intensity of the business and pressures both internal, external; in all matters.

I'd love to see what his actual thoughts about something like Fortnite, and various trends across the industry, are.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Buyer beware I guess?

Just because the game sold like shit doesn't mean the people who did buy it should get refunds.
It has nothing to do with it selling like shit. The product they paid money for literally cannot be used any longer as the servers shut down.

Wanting the thing you bought to continue to be useable less than a year and a half out isn't being entitled.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Loved his energy. He was a part of some classics and it's a shame it ended the way it did. Have a good life Cliffy and I wish you success with whatever is next.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Kinda sucks but at least he took care of his devs and he can enjoy retirement again.

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
What's reasonable about wanting money back for a game you "supported", and complaining about "wasting" the money on the developer's incomes instead?

The game was shut down long before it should have and it's not the buyers fault they didn't deliver on their product.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm just heartbroken that Radical Heights' servers shut down so soon after the closure. That game was some of the most fun I've had this year. It deserved better than it got.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, It's not really his fault that Lawbreakers failed and it's absurd to think that he should refund everyone out of his own pocket just because nobody stuck around to play it. The game wasn't really awful by any means, some projects just don't find an audience or end up misjudging people appetite for that specific idea.

It's really sad to see an industry veteran like him leave, I hope he eventually comes back one day after taking some time out, or at least finds some success in some other area he's interested in.

Deleted member 6733

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dude gets a lot of hate but I can't help feel for him with this. His response was fair and just.

I hope one day he comes back fresh with new ideas and a bit of success.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
There are a BILLION good reasons to try something new!

Depends how rich you are. If you're super flush and can afford wasting a ton of money chasing more... go for it. If his nestegg has dwindled, but still enough to live a good life... no sense jeopardizing that chasing a lottery ticket.

The odds of hitting in this market is incredibly slim.

Somebody had that recent thread about making your dream game if someone gave you 100 million dollars. I'd pocket as much of that cash as I could (salary for me and friends and family), cause even if you hired the best, odds are it would still be a bomb and tank. This market is brutal and only embraces the mega-hits.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
lol, people are entitled for expecting an online game to not die so soon after release?

Because the servers were taken down and the game is unplayable?

The game was shut down long before it should have and it's not the buyers fault they didn't deliver on their product.

Considering Cliffy claims he's paid for his closed studio's co-workers medical expenses and etc., you're saying then that was the wrong decision, and that money should have been prioritized to refund poor gamers? Where do you expect the money to come from?

Like, that's over the line. Not reasonable.