Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it didn't scan that way for me. Jake's big speech seemed like the show delivering its final thesis on its themes and some of the things it said seem...iffy. BUT the show has been so good on queer rep and Mancini seems like a good guy, so I'm willing to chalk it up to lost in translation/generation divide. I assume he didn't mean anything bad by it.

Jake is trying to kill Chucky who keeps talking about how he was Jake's real friend and how he knew Jake wanted to kill his father even before Chucky showed up. It felt like his response was more a refutation of Chucky's manipulative bullshit in the heat of the moment. Not too mention Junior's mom was a good person and loving mother so no, she didn't put the darkness in Junior's heart even if his dad was an asshole.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Timeline or at least years seem so muddled.

what year did cult of Chucky happen?

I'm trying to figure out what year this show is taking place. Flashback dates back to his childhood then to 1988 and now present time.

Chucky also mentioned Instagram influencers. Makes it our time. But that doesn't mean it's our time. But that would be weird to have before Instagram was announced if different timeline

Which could mean anything especially with ages of Glen/Glenda.

They've already addressed that the show takes place weeks after Cult not years. Instagram has been around for nearly a decade so it's not that far fetched to be talking that way about instagram popularity in 2017.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Jake is trying to kill Chucky who keeps talking about how he was Jake's real friend and how he knew Jake wanted to kill his father even before Chucky showed up. It felt like his response was more a refutation of Chucky's manipulative bullshit in the heat of the moment. Not too mention Junior's mom was a good person and loving mother so no, she didn't put the darkness in Junior's heart even if his dad was an asshole.
I get that and it's great to see Jake stand up for himself, but it's also weird that the show seems to be suggesting that Chucky is solely to blame here and that without him things might have worked out. I wish instead Jake had acknowledged that both Chuck and his father were monsters, and that he didn't need either of them.

You're right it is really just Junior's dad.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Man, people really don't like the Nica ending to the point of it ruining the episode for some. Hopefully they give her something good in season two to make up for it. I mean, I like the character and am definitely wanted better for her, but still interested to see where it goes.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
we are long overdue for some body swaps to happen. S2 is a good starting point for those that haven't watched the movies. (im not really counting the chucky switching to another doll or flashbacks)
we need some bodies on the ground and blood drawings on the floor

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
No! I need her to adopt Devon and Jake as a pr stunt for her reelection campaign so she can be a horrible parent to all 3 of them.
Kelly Rowland needs to be casted as Devon's aunt

Lexi's mom got all kinds of shit. the "accidents" during the event is more than enough that people can't have her as mayor surely. placing the blame on an innocent teacher as well.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That Glenda bomb mentioning was kinda unnecessary, before we didn't even know if Glen was good or bad and maybe even appears as Hero some day, but this got decided now I guess.
Just a reminder, that last we saw them, Glen and Glenda had been separated and placed into human children. Glenda was the evil part of Glen/Glenda in Seed of Chucky. I don't think we've ever seen anything to suggest that the Glen identity is anything but decent.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Man, people really don't like the Nica ending to the point of it ruining the episode for some. Hopefully they give her something good in season two to make up for it. I mean, I like the character and am definitely wanted better for her, but still interested to see where it goes.
It doesn't quite ruin the episode for me but it does put a big damper on my enthusiasm for season 2. I'm hoping it gets undone.
No! I need her to adopt Devon and Jake as a pr stunt for her reelection campaign so she can be a horrible parent to all 3 of them.
I was wondering how the show will keep Jake and Devon in town going forward and I think you might be on to something.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused as to how Chucky's split personalities work. They're all Chucky but they act independently of one another yeah? They aren't all psychically linked or anything?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So I have a question, is Lexy's sister on the spectrum or is the kid's acting/written reactions all over the place?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
It's heavily implied she's on the spectrum by how her parents and Lexy interact with her.

I mean, it was implied early but then it felt kind of blurred. Like at times they just treated her like just a little kid, and then she went from not making eye contact to making visible eye contact so it was hard to get a read of the character.

Her not realizing what was going on in the theater felt like bad reaction writing too lol

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it was implied early but then it felt kind of blurred. Like at times they just treated her like just a little kid, and then she went from not making eye contact to making visible eye contact so it was hard to get a read of the character.

Her not realizing what was going on in the theater felt like bad reaction writing too lol

Chucky was fucking with her head through a lot of this as well.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
also can we get the GIF of andy doing a thumbs up?
so we can update the thumbs up gif thats already out there
now.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Also also, one question for you people. Where would you put the series in your film ranking?

I still have to process it all, but I think I might put it at the very top. I'm utterly impressed how well Chucky fitted a series. I don't think there was a single bad episode. If there was no S2 announcement, I might have disliked the overall end, but now I just can't wait for more.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Also also, one question for you people. Where would you put the series in your film ranking?

I'm not a huge fan of the films, the vast majority of the films I think are pretty dang solid but I don't really love any of them, so I have no problem saying the show is easily my favorite part of the franchise.

It is great in all the ways I want the franchise to be but it also is full of characters I really, really like and it is hilarious and weird and it continued from the film series when it would've been oh-so-easy to ignore so much of that craziness and make this a reboot(soft or otherwise). The fact that Nica was brought back was kind of insane to me.

Nica best get Frankensteined back together or I'm going to be a bit miffed.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I really want an onscreen reunion of Andy and his mom (Catherine Hicks), if she is still live in the Chucky universe (I haven't watched much of the newer Chucky films)

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
Even though it was cool for Junior to die protecting Lexi, I kind of wished he would have stayed around as a rival to the main 3.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
So, whose (?) was that hand in the end?

It's either Andy or Kyle. Those are the driving gloves that Kyle bought in the episode prior.

I still have to process it all, but I think I might put it at the very top. I'm utterly impressed how well Chucky fitted a series. I don't think there was a single bad episode. If there was no S2 announcement, I might have disliked the overall end, but now I just can't wait for more.

I'm curious if Mancini had left himself options if the series didn't get renewed.

On judging the show, and putting it in context with the rest of the series in terms of quality. I definitely love the series and believe it was the right move for the franchise. The DTV films were fun and kept the series alive, but they only catered to a niche audience. The show, in contrast, was able to grow an audience.

It's odd ranking it with the other entries. I have a hard time being too critical with this series as it is and tend to be forgiving of its greater faults. I like rooting for Don, and even when the series is a bit rough around the edges it's still an entertaining blast. The tv series continues that trend. Its a bit amateur at times with not only the writing (rushed character arcs, some laziness, some parts that aren't thought out well) , but the production as well (look at that army of Chucky's scene! At least they tried).

Even when it's fucking up it's so sincere with its intentions, and its heart is always in the right place. Taken as a whole, it's in the top tier of the series for me; in some ways bettering many aspects of the best installments.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I was enjoying the show until the final episode.

Junior killing his dad in a fit of rage, I could buy that, but then immediately being cool with killing a stranger, and leaving his schoolmate to be murdered? That didn't work for me. And around the same time we see Tilly saying, "One sick kid can look after themselves", giving the big doll to the entitled rich brat kid... and the crowd applauds?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Absolutely loved the whole season and very happy it will be back for a second season. Hopefully they give them a slightly bigger budget to play with too, as this show on an even bigger budget will be even better.

Looking forward to see what happens with Andy, Kyle, Tiff, poor Nica and the truck full of Good Guys. They leave it open for lots of ways all that could play out.

I didn't mind Jake, Devon and Lexi and it would be fine to see them return but I also wouldn't mind if they decided to end their story at this point, as there isn't much left for them to do now. Andy and Kyle have the whole revenge mission going on, so no need to add a whole Scooby gang just for that. It would be nice to see Andy and Kyle have bigger roles again.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's odd ranking it with the other entries. I have a hard time being too critical with this series as it is and tend to be forgiving of its greater faults. I like rooting for Don, and even when the series is a bit rough around the edges it's still an entertaining blast. The tv series continues that trend. Its a bit amateur at times with not only the writing (rushed character arcs, some laziness, some parts that aren't thought out well) , but the production as well (look at that army of Chucky's scene! At least they tried).

Honestly I found this show better than a good chunk of TV the last few years. It's got that nebulous "watchable" vibe that even much more prestigious TV often lacks. It's easily the best horror series I've seen in years.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I was enjoying the show until the final episode.

Junior killing his dad in a fit of rage, I could buy that, but then immediately being cool with killing a stranger, and leaving his schoolmate to be murdered? That didn't work for me. And around the same time we see Tilly saying, "One sick kid can look after themselves", giving the big doll to the entitled rich kid... and the crowd applauds?

The Junior stuff I agree with you on. I could buy that he felt he had crossed the line and had no choice, but we didn't see any of that.

The sick kid/Caroline doll moment was good satire. I felt like they nailed the small town feel, you know..the fox news loving crowd.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The Junior stuff I agree with you on. I could buy that he felt he had crossed the line and had no choice, but we didn't see any of that.

The sick kid/Caroline doll moment was good satire. I felt like they nailed the small town feel, you know..the fox news loving crowd.
Fair point about it being satire, that I missed.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I found this show better than a good chunk of TV the last few years. It's got that nebulous "watchable" vibe that even much more prestigious TV often lacks. It's easily the best horror series I've seen in years.

I'm a bit out of the loop in that regard of other recent series. I've been dropping the ball with tv in the last few years. I know what you mean with that vibe though. It has the right set of ingredients to draw me in and prioritize it.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
The ending with Chucky talking about all the kills in the show was great.

qqIKn4L.gif

Overall, I wasn't as blown away by the show as others here seem to be (maybe because I never was a huge fan of the movies), but I do think it was fun.
I'm curious about what they'll do with a second season.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
That was an incredible season of TV. Really enjoyed it. So excited for season 2.

The Junior turn was handled terribly. Killing his dad was borderline. But him being too stupid to see he was manipulated by Chucky after seeing Tiff working with him, and seeing the Chucky army that was only possible because he killed someone, and that Chucky is evil and wants to kill for fun basically... I just dont buy how he couldn't see that he was played. And then remember that Lexi told him Chucky was responsible for all those murders. Feel like Junior was set up as being too smart to be so easily manipulated and that he wouldn't snap out of it with all the information he was getting after killing his dad.

But the worst part was Nica. That shit is just dark. Why not just amputate the legs? She's a cripple so she loses very little and it's only really punishing the chucky side. Arms too. Nica would be better off dying.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
That was an incredible season of TV. Really enjoyed it. So excited for season 2.

The Junior turn was handled terribly. Killing his dad was borderline. But him being too stupid to see he was manipulated by Chucky after seeing Tiff working with him, and seeing the Chucky army that was only possible because he killed someone, and that Chucky is evil and wants to kill for fun basically... I just dont buy how he couldn't see that he was played. And then remember that Lexi told him Chucky was responsible for all those murders. Feel like Junior was set up as being too smart to be so easily manipulated and that he wouldn't snap out of it with all the information he was getting after killing his dad.

But the worst part was Nica. That shit is just dark. Why not just amputate the legs? She's a cripple so she loses very little and it's only really punishing the chucky side. Arms too. Nica would be better off dying.

Oh no. Where there is life there is hope.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
shes just going to get jacked and do handstands everywhere and use her arms as legs
Tiffany is a full crazy for doing it.
can't really trust her when she snitched on chucky after she caught him killing in bed.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
Oh no. Where there is life there is hope.
Normally I would agree. But since she met Chucky she has had her family and loved ones murdered, she was sent to a mental institution because it looked like she killed them. She went through some serious shit in the mental institution before he possessed her and has killed many people while in her body. Now she has had her limbs amputated and her already incredibly difficult life just got that much harder.

Between the physical and emotional torture. Having no one to love and not even having arms...i dunno I think death would be a blessing for her. She can just never be the same again.

Although that was true before this last episode. Taking her arms from her was just next level cruelty. I hope she somehow gets a somewhat happy ending. But even if she got a new body she would always be suffering mentally

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Normally I would agree. But since she met Chucky she has had her family and loved ones murdered, she was sent to a mental institution because it looked like she killed them. She went through some serious shit in the mental institution before he possessed her and has killed many people while in her body. Now she has had her limbs amputated and her already incredibly difficult life just got that much harder.

Between the physical and emotional torture. Having no one to love and not even having arms...i dunno I think death would be a blessing for her. She can just never be the same again.

Although that was true before this last episode. Taking her arms from her was just next level cruelty. I hope she somehow gets a somewhat happy ending. But even if she got a new body she would always be suffering mentally

I am of the belief that death is never a relief. It's an end. She will always be scarred, but she can find new people, new things.

Oct 25, 2017
Initial thoughts were real negative but I've slept on it and judged the whole season together, needed more Miss Fairchild.

Largely agree with many points raised already, tone was all over the shop. Real Hannibal show type horror (yes yes i know the crew was on that too) at the right times had worked, but not at other points.

Justice for Bar-I mean Nica.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mind the Junior heel turn myself. It felt like it was something being built up all season. He was around for multiple murders and deaths even before his mom face planted through the windshield in front of him and was fucked up by his father even before Chucky showed up. Chucky's ass stabbing killing spree felt less believable to me.

Oct 27, 2017

I really enjoyed it overall. The ending wasn't too shabby IMO, and I can't think of anything they could have done better. I'd rank the TV series a lot higher than many of the films as a cohesive piece of entertainment.

Child's Play 1 and 2 are tops, obviously, but then Chucky TV series for 3rd place, then just about everything else. There are many moments in the TV series that outshine most of Child's Play 3, Cult of Chucky, Curse of Chucky, Bride of Chucky, etc ... so yeah, I like it a lot. My least favorite is Seed of Chucky.

I agree that there wasn't a bad episode, and each one just made me want to watch more. I am super hyped for season 2.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where I'd rank the tv series tbh, it has such a different feel. movie rankings I'd probably go curse > cult > 2 > bride > 1 > seed > 3 and I enjoy all of them even seed and 3

the show would probably slot in somewhere in the 2 bride 1 jumble

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
What happened to Nica I believe was done for one reason.

"Remember while these psycho killers are fun and jokey and entertaining. They are still totally irredeemable evil people."

Status
Not open for further replies.