• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everybody,

Chris Stuckmann is a YouTuber who got the opportunity to make a feature film a year or so ago by a company but complications occurred.
He made a video a few weeks ago about the budget he was given wasn't great and ruined what he wanted so he started a kickstarter and I was hoping it's okay to post. He's one of my favourite YouTubers and I genuinely would love to see what his first picture is like.

Here's a link to his kickstarter and any updates on the plan.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/abkoontz/shelby-oaks-a-horror-feature-film-from-chris-stuckmann

Over $400,000 obtained so far!
OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Update he has made over $400,000 so far on kickstarter. Becoming one of the biggest kicker starters.

He has stretch goals
$400,000 (Achieved) - practical effects
$500,000 - 2 set locations added
$600,000 - Named Actor As Lead

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Been following this and really pulling for him. I'll always support an indie horror movie. This is great to see. Big fan of his videos and openness about his life. It's also really fucking cool of Mike Flanagan reaching out to him with advice.

Last edited:

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales

Worth linking to the Paranormal Paranoids series that this spawned from also - love these online horror ARGs so I'm rooting for this thing too.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
He'll easily get the 600K now. Looking forward to see what he creates.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I like this guy a lot but I ain't paying for a ghost movie. My least favorite horror sub genre.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Really happy for him. I always liked his reviews and he had to give up a lot to continue doing what he likes, he was shunned by his Jehovah Witness community, friends and family.

Got Original Goals Completed! Now over $700,000 obtained!
OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Has reached his original goals! He will now be able to get a known actor is a major role. Now has over 700k and soon to get his next milestone at 750k!
5 days left! Let's get to a million!!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm stunned and speechless. It's amazing to see Stuckmann get such success. I wish him the best of luck with this film. Would be thrilled to see him knock this film out of the park. Day 1 for me no matter what.

Yes and said two major studios reached out to read his screenplay. It'll get bought by a studio for sure.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and said two major studios reached out to read his screenplay. It'll get bought by a studio for sure.

A24 buying it would be amazing if it is indeed one of the companies that reached out to him. Just wild to think of this one guy whose movie reviews I've been watching for years may get a chance to be involved with some of the bigger players in the movie industry.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
A24 buying it would be amazing if it is indeed one of the companies that reached out to him. Just wild to think of this one guy whose movie reviews I've been watching for years may get a chance to be involved with some of the bigger players in the movie industry.

It's a great story and being a mega horror fan I love new original filmmakers get a shot at it. I started watching his reviews about 2, 3 years ago. He's solid.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, less than 24 hours and over 200k higher!

That Deadline article definitely helped bring attention to this.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Hey Chris if you're reading this can I be in your movie? I'm a very talented actor...

Who just so happens to have never nabbed a role.

Uh forget that last part!

Oct 30, 2017
R.7073e5db219b1905cca2938e4f383c59

It's Shutterstock guy's time to shine.

less

Oct 25, 2017
At this rate it has a really good chance to hit $1.15 million. Maybe a bit more of things go well. 60 hours left to go.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's going to top at 1.3M and some change. That's crazy as hell. I thought the 1M stretch goal was unreachable.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a fan of backing Kickstarter campaigns (got burned by a few in the past) but I've been watching this from the sidelines and rooting for him to succeed. Chris seems like a good dude and I hope this works out for him.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Hope for the absolute best but I also can't help thinking that expectations will be beyond what is possible.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
He must be over the moon but also feeling a bit of pressure. As he said many times, there will be many critical eyes watching closely given his past as a YouTube movie critic.

Yeah it's an interesting one. If the movie isn't good people will use it against him as a "gotcha," as though being a film critic and being able to execute directing a film are one and the same.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
happy for the guy, he is real passionate about the industry and you can see it palpably in his reviews.

hopefully this gets picked by a bigger studio.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
happy for the guy, he is real passionate about the industry and you can see it palpably in his reviews.

hopefully this gets picked by a bigger studio.
Either A24 or Blumhouse have asked to read the script so it's definitely getting traction.
It's really great to see a guy with so much passion for movies get this chance.
I really recommend people to watch his video about leaving Jehovah's Witnesses to continue doing movie reviews.
It's long but Chris is very open about his life.

Edit :and the Kickstarter has passed 1.3M$ already, wouldn't be shocked if it reaches 1.4M$.

Last edited:

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
If A24 or Blumhouse don't pick it up, maybe Chris can get a streamer to do so. I'm sure this Kickstarter has gotten at least a few streamer eyes on it.

Maybe Mike Flanagan can put in a good word for him at Netflix lol

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Depends If it's good.
If quality was important, Netflix wouldn't have half of their original movies.
Chris has almost 2M subscribers and the movie probably wouldn't be that expensive to buy since a decent chunk of the budget is probably coming from the Kickstarter.
At the very least, it would be a decent get for Shudder.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
If quality was important, Netflix wouldn't have half of their original movies.
Chris has almost 2M subscribers and the movie probably wouldn't be that expensive to buy since a decent chunk of the budget is probably coming from the Kickstarter.
At the very least, it would be a decent get for Shudder.

Solid point. Someone will pick it up for sure. I'm super curious to see what he creates.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Typically I would advise against for someone in his position, but then again he should follow his dreams. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!

He should keep getting help along the way. I remember when he posted his BvS revision excerpt and it wasn't exactly embraced.