• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
This guy has almost as many personalities as he does faces and body types.

latest

This is the original Chris. He's basically a piece of cardboard like his co-star Jill, except with a way less memorable design and a way less interesting sidekick. I never choose him in RE1, or in Remake. His game is just flat out worse IMO.

latest

He comes back in Code Veronica, still looking pretty similar. Now he's more of an action hero, though, and they begin his feud with Wesker (something that was not AT ALL present in the original game that they were actually in together). So, ok, this is basically the same Chris as RE1 Chris, only he's in a game with actual character-driven interactions now.

latest

REmake and Darkside Chronicles Chris looks like a completely different character. His first real physical transformation! His personality is still basically next to nothing in these games, though. He has no real dynamic with any other characters. His dialogue never amounts to anything besides reacting to stuff and getting the job done. Even side characters like Enrico have more memorable lines than him.

latest

Ok, RE5 Chris brought him back and arguably made him popular. This is the Chris most people remember and know, just like most people remember and knew RE4's Special Agent Leon instead of his rookie boy scout persona from RE2 before its remake came out. Now he has his whole BOW supersoldier schtick going on. He's basically like the GI Joe commando of the RE series at this point. He's out to get Wesker, he values his partners' lives and wellbeing as equal to his own, he has a sincere hatred for BOW warfare and he is super strong. Chris punching the boulder became a meme for a reason. This game cemented him as the heart of the "action" part of Resident Evil.

latest

RE6 basically throws the table upside down, though, and now he's a PTSD ridden, amnesiac alcoholic. For most of the game he's just a huge asshole to everyone, especially his team. I give the writers props for at least trying to show us how this change happened and justify it, but it still feels artificial with how over the top it is.

img.jpg

RE7 gives us the weirdest Chris of them all, so much so that many people doubted it was actually him at first. He works for a section of Umbrella. He looks completely different. He acts and talks like the Chris from RE5 (over his PTSD episode by now I guess) but he looks so different that people still thought he might be an imposter. Just when we thought he might have finally found an identity for himself, he goes to work for a sketchy new organization and gives himself a facelift.

WCCFresidentevilvillage1.jpg

That is, until he morphs BACK into his RE6-ish self. He's definitely older here, but he's apparently shed his new skin, and oh, he's also an asshole again, and maybe even a villain now.

I really think Capcom just uses him for name recognition. His lines and role could be written for any other character 90% of the time in any given game and nobody would ever know it was originally supposed to be Chris. His only constant is his hatred for Wesker and his occasional GI Joe Captain lines. Everything else? Changes from game to game, or has no real substance to it to begin with.

Out of all the popular legacy RE characters, I think Chris is by far the most boring, and the one with the least amount of creative vision behind him. I think he keeps getting the spotlight because he was the "original RE guy" and he is big and strong. That's really it. He looked cool in RE5, but that kind of got flipped around as the sequels came out and kept morphing him again.

Do you like Chris? How do you feel about him being a chameleon?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
ehh, 5,6 and 8 feel like a natural progression. Dunno his story in 8 so can't comment on that but he's looking real daddy.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Every time he shows up in a game I have no idea who it's supposed to be. And I've played all of the games. Him showing up at the end of 7 was hilarious. I had to look up who it was.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Not a fan of RE7 Chris, but in a lot of respects he most closely resembles the OH TE1 concept art.

Not sayinfo that's good or bad, but hey maybe that's what they were going for...?

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
I mained Chris in Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Was funny to spam his moves and he'd yell "eat it! Suck it! Suck it! Eat it!".

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Character continuity is not the series strong suit.

Callego

Nov 22, 2017
Not a fan of RE7 Chris, but in a lot of respects he most closely resembles the OH TE1 concept art.

Not sayinfo that's good or bad, but hey maybe that's what they were going for...?
The dev team did say that 7 was inspired a lot by the first game (not the remake) aesthetically. Things like the wallpaper in the main house is definitely similar to RE1. It's possible this applies to character design as well for sure.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
it's very unusual for something like this to happen in a franchise that's as elegantly paced and plotted as Resident Evil is

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RE6 Chris is my favorite. You'd think with the stuff he saw Jill go through in 5 and his partner Piers in 6, the guy would have lost his mind. But no. He goes off to enjoy a nice, juicy steak instead.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
it's very unusual for something like this to happen in a franchise that's as elegantly paced and plotted as Resident Evil is
OK, I laughed.
My headcanon is that all those are various clones of Chris, each one slightly different than the other. Umbrella did it.
What. Weirder things have happened.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I will give him this game. In this he is basically the same as he was in RE5's Lost in Nightmares DLC. He feels like a side character compared to Jill, though - I always felt like his segments were shorter, and less important to the story overall. He also got the worse partner, again (by far)
It's basically a Jill game with side missions from Chris. Kinda like how CV is a Claire game but you could argue that Chris steals the spotlight in that one. Chris basically rescues Jill and she takes over again.

Dsezer

Sep 22, 2020
RE 7 Chris just looked weird as hell, need to push through and finish it at some post before RE 8 arrives

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
I always liked the REmake version the best. Looks like a real guy to me. The og design is too anime and I didn't like how roided up he looked in the later games.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah for being the main character of the series he is pretty inconsistant especially when compared to jill, leon and claire.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, if you only look at the "mainline" he does come off a bit odd. RE5 + Revelations + MvC3 sets up a consistent design and characterization for him, and RE6's Chris isn't too far off from that as long as you account for him having trauma.

Weird how he was arguably the least prominent of the Big 4 pre-RE5, and now he's basically the main character.

RE7's "Redfield" is awful though. If I were Capcom, after the initial reaction I would have scrapped whatever the plan was and gone with the fan theory that he was an imposter or Hunk. Would've been more interesting. I guess Not A Hero was already underway, though (he's more consistent with RE5/6 Chris there, outside of appearance).

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
assumption in REVIII , it may or may not be true :

In Village he will be married to Jill Valentine and got kids as she retired from BSAA after RE5

Oct 25, 2017
3AmdLL0.png

NqOFws5.jpg

TynL1F0.jpg

7 was the first game since REmake(2002) to completely redo the face.
People hated 7's so much they made 8's look more like RE6

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same can be said with Leon. He's likeable terrible in RE4 that surely made him really popular. Capcom took this and made him a serious character to make him seem cooler which I hate. Gone are the corny lines and his terrible attempts at being smooth with the ladies.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
ehh, 5,6 and 8 feel like a natural progression. Dunno his story in 8 so can't comment on that but he's looking real daddy.
Agree with this. He's had some sort of progression, when we saw the jump from CV to 5, I immediatly thought "makes sense he'd want to get as strong as Superman after the beating he had" by 5 he's more in control of himself, he knows he's bringing the guns and he can take out Wesker once and for all

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Another constant and his most likeable characteristic is he's hunky as heck, except RE7 which is another unrelated Christopher Redfield for sure.

Alark

Mar 16, 2018
Yeah, most RE characters are pretty different depending on which game they are in. Chris is still my favourite RE character but I usually seem to like characters that most people find boring (like Superman). I think Chris has had a pretty constant characterization since RE5 which is my favourite version of Chris.