Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I second this!
Also it still befuddles me how soft Alan Wake 2's sales were. It's such a great video game - is it just that no one played the franchise since it was an exclusive on 360 when it launched? Y'all are missing out!
(also good job Silent Hill and Bloober. You did good!)
For whatever it's worth, Remedy themselves have painted Alan Wake 2 as a bigger success than internet discourse has. Control was considered a hit for them but it still took it a while to break into profit, and Alan Wake 2 sold faster than Control at launch. Much of Control's success was from having long legs and continuing to sell over a five year period, and Alan Wake 2 is on the same trajectory. So it having modest sales in the first year is not the whole story.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine comparing EA with Konamis costs and expectations.

EA is in the AAA home run business. ROI is everything to determine future resourcing.

Konami's in the pachinko business with AAA as a side hustle. We have no clue what their plans are going forward.

I'd also throw in that it's entirely possible that DS actually did do well for them, but we need to look at what they're working on now as to a reason that DS2R or a new entry isn't in development. They're currently working on an Iron Man game as well as collaborating on the next Battlefield. Those are going to be expected to do massive numbers. So, DS would've had to put up such numbers where EA thinks it's justified that they're working on another game in that series rather than those other games.

With Silent Hill we know that Konami are all in on it. They have two more new entries planned already. And SH2R is the fastest selling entry in the series.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Good to hear that they all did well, it's a pretty huge variety of games, so I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, but hell of a packed week, was worried some would get lost in the shuffle.

As it's a bit on topic I think Dead Space suffers most from EA just thinking Motive are better used helping DICE/Respawn/Etc, so kind of a doomed from the start deal and no real way to break that sort of thinking at the big publishers, but very sad they binned the series again.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
We all know PC audiences are purists and they already had their SH2 fill with the Enhanced Edition.

/s

xenosys83

Mar 19, 2024
Dead Space R was honestly a fantastic game. One of the most enjoyable 1:1 remakes that I've played and the team did a great job. Dead Space 2 R would have been an all-timer for me had it been green lit, and it's pretty tragic that it's been shelved.

SH2 will probably end up with 2-3m sales by the end of next year which is very good for a 'horror' title not called Resident Evil.

Plague-Doctor

Oct 23, 2023
Those splits were UK not EU. But you're right. Globally the picture will be a little closer, when you consider more PC-centric markets. But still, only Germany and Eastern European countries lean PC in Europe, and they won't have the same attachment to these franchises.

Who?

I'm still so conditioned to seeing Dring primarily talk about UK sales but yes, those were the UK splits so not as applicable.

Also FWIW Germany is not in the EU GSD numbers either, so it wouldn't give PC a boost in these data either way

Last edited:

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised at the PC stats for SH2R
Does it demand a particularly high end rig compared to other AAA?
Or are those % in line with other AAA for the same regions?

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I second this!
Also it still befuddles me how soft Alan Wake 2's sales were. It's such a great video game - is it just that no one played the franchise since it was an exclusive on 360 when it launched? Y'all are missing out!

PC version being Epic store only definitely didn't help.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I second this!
Lack of physical until now and particularly no Steam will have dented sales

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I'd also throw in that it's entirely possible that DS actually did do well for them, but we need to look at what they're working on now as to a reason that DS2R or a new entry isn't in development. They're currently working on an Iron Man game as well as collaborating on the next Battlefield. Those are going to be expected to do massive numbers. So, DS would've had to put up such numbers where EA thinks it's justified that they're working on another game in that series rather than those other games.
Also, there's no reason why Motive couldn't return to Dead Space once they're more available.

Hanzo

Dec 10, 2023
Horror is actually a PC-favouring genre if anything, it's a streamer staple.

I think it's just Silent Hill has strong PS IP ties. Same reason that Crash 4 has more PS-leaning splits vs Switch than you'd expect for a mascot platformer.
Maybe. Would like to know the splits for other horror single player games to have s better understanding of the situation

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Wasn't the rumor/leak that there never was a DS2 remake planned? Motive had pitched a new game in the universe (DS4?).

But yeah, between a Marvel game and Battlefield, DS wasn't going to be the more lucratpath forward once the sales were tallied up. Meanwhile, as others have said, Konami is going all in on SH.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still so conditioned to seeing Dring primarily talk about UK sales but yes, those were the UK splits so not as applicable.

Also FWIW Germany is not in the EU GSD numbers either, so it wouldn't give PC a boost in these data either way
Game sales (both retail and digital) are included from Germany in GSD data. Console hw data is what is missing from Germany in GSD data. When it comes to game sales GSD includes all major markets from Europe in their digital data and most for retail data (so PC actually benefits compared to consoles from the lack of retail coverage GSD has in some smaller european markets)

Last edited:

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Expected SH2 split after seeing how the game was doing on PS Store compared to Steam. And PS also has significant physical sales unike PC.

HeikoSC

Feb 8, 2024
SH2 has over 20.000 Reviews on Steam ( https://steamdb.info/app/2124490/charts/ ) from people who used keys + direct purchases, there is a less than 0% chance it sold 200k-250k copies or whatnot, so whatever that ratio is, it obviously only applies to one region.

As comparison, the Dead Space remake has 2x as many reviews as SH2 has - in almost 2 years compared to 2 weeks. So the game is doing well on Steam clearly.

The game would have an unheard of 10:1x sales to reviews ratio, when most games sit at 40-50:1x. It will likely sit at 400k+ copies right now and even that is accounting for very high review activity, even for a launch period where people are more likely to review than they are later on.

As comparison, on PSN the game has 12.000 Reviews. The global sales ratio is likely close to 50-50, or 40-60ish due to asia.

Last edited:

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
SH2 has over 20.000 Reviews on Steam ( https://steamdb.info/app/2124490/charts/ ) from people who used keys + direct purchases, there is a less than 0% chance it sold 200k-250k copies or whatnot, so whatever that ratio is, it obviously only applies to one region.

The game would have an unheard of 10:1x sales to reviews ratio, when most games sit at 40-50:1x. It will likely sit at 400k+ copies right now and even that is accounting for very high review activity, even for a launch period where people are more likely to review than they are later on.

As comparison, on PSN the game has 12.000 Reviews. The global sales ratio is likely close to 50-50, or 40-60ish due to asia.

Steam players tend to leave more reviews than PSN ratings. They aren't apples to apples with Steam reviews, and 12k would likely correspond to a number a lot higher than 400k + unless the ratings system is being mashed by a fanbase the way, say, Stellar Blade was.

EDIT: I think I came off a bit too strong in my original post, this is a more accurate version of my point so my bad on that Heiko :)

Last edited:

Maki

Jul 6, 2024
Sh2 has leaned heavily in uk and America which are console centric

Also Chris messed up the metaphor comparison lol

Kirby64

Aug 16, 2020
Sh2 has leaned heavily in uk and America which are console centric

Also Chris messed up the metaphor comparison lol
Zero chance its doing as well as DD2 there. I imagine he meant to bring up some other game lol, although its fairing favorability to Reload and LaD so clearly there's no actual issue or anything saleswise.

HeikoSC

Feb 8, 2024
Steam players tend to leave more reviews than PSN ratings. They aren't apples to apples with Steam reviews, and 12k would likely correspond to a number a lot higher than 400k + unless the ratings system is being mashed by a fanbase the way, say, Stellar Blade was.

EDIT: I think I came off a bit too strong in my original post, this is a more accurate version of my point so my bad on that Heiko :)
Sure, but still no game has a 10x1 sales to review ratio. You could even tell SH2 isnt doing amazing in Europe specifically on Steam because it is ranking much lower in the local stores compared to steam as a whole. In Germany it was in the Top 10 Topsellers for like 2 days. (Steam Topsellers are much more volatile due to indie popularity, MMOs and aggressive sales)

Right now SH2 is 30th Topseller on steam as a whole, in Germany it is 70th, in France 58th, in the US 18th. For some reason some european countries are buying the game on PS instead of PC. But the total ratio will deffo not apply globally. Unless the game has sold a few 100k more than 1 Mio by now, which could be the case of course. They certainly would deserve it for the game.

Edit: And no problem! With 400k I meant PC btw, not PS5, PS5 would be higher. Thats based on Reviews tho, since player numbers are hard to evaluate on a psychological horror SP game. I would guess many people cant even play more than 1 hour at a time since its so stressful compared to RE4 etc.

Last edited: