Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/24vMTjVcVObqbpp4xV4vMv
  • Every new game last week did well.
  • The game that did extremely well is Sparking Zero; it was a huge hit across Europe (GSD) launch sales are up 140% compared to the fastest-selling Dragon Ball game, which was FighterZ.
  • For SH2 in Europe: 78% of sales are on PS5 and 22% on PC.
  • SH2 easily outperformed Calisto Protocol and AW2, but the Dead Space remake did a little better than the SH2 remake in Europe.
  • Broadly speaking, SH2 sold 1 million worldwide first, so that's great.
  • Metaphor had a really decent launch; across Europe, it's actually pretty close to what DD2 did and is ahead of other JRPGs like Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth and P3R, but it is not as big as what P5R did.
  • Undisputed is the fourth biggest sports game launch in Europe this year; worldwide, it's probably ahead of F1.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
That's a much bigger split for Silent Hill 2 than I expected in Europe.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I mean I expect SH2 to have legs because the game basically had anti-hype up until August of this year.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
FIGHT FOREVER!

rs1Xra.gif

Plague-Doctor

Oct 23, 2023
Oct 27, 2017
The split makes sense. It has relatively high spec requirements, and most people just don't own rigs capable of running it (at least better than it's console counterpart).

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
The splits for RE4 Remake were 65% PS5 and 15% PC. Split the 20% from Xbox into an extra 10% for each platform and its pretty consistent. RE7 had a similar split as well. RE and Silent Hill are both survival horror franchises that are very strongly associated with the Playstation brand. These splits were not too surprising

Well, I'm disappointed with my PC brothers. SH2R deserves many more sales!

OP
OP
Smitch

Smitch

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Apr 21, 2022
The splits for RE4 Remake were 65% PS5 and 15% PC. Split the 20% from Xbox into an extra 10% for each platform and its pretty consistent. RE7 had a similar split as well. RE and Silent Hill are both survival horror franchises that are very strongly associated with the Playstation brand. These splits were not too surprising
That RE4 remake split was for UK not Europe

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Currently addicted to Silent Hill 2 remake, tore me away from DBSZ lol. Phenomenal game and couldnt ask for a better Halloween experience

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
Konami has never really cared about PC, so that split is not really surprising. Even Short Message was PS5 exclusive. And you can't play 1-4 on PC without emulation AFAIK.

Jun 2, 2019
So Silent Hill 2 Remake is selling less than Dead Space Remake, the game that apparently didn't sell enough for EA to make another one? Is this a good or a bad thing?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
So Silent Hill 2 Remake is selling less than Dead Space Remake, the game that apparently didn't sell enough for EA to make another one? Is this a good or a bad thing?

1. Console exclusivity means they had money exchanged upfront beyond revenue from sales
2. It sold nearly as well on two platforms vs. a game with three at this recorded point
3. Steeper competition launching in a packed October vs. January

But we can expect it to perform better than Dead Space remake did LTD

Hanzo

Dec 10, 2023
Good numbers for silent hill considering it's not on xb (yeah, xb is doing bad in Europe, but still) when compared to AW2 , and doing close to Dead Space is good
Surprised at the split vs PC. Seems some genres really favour consoles and others are more favorable to PC. Sony is probably monitoring those trends closely to choose what and when to port first party games

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Where'd we here that from Konami? I know Bloober put a thing out.
Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. is pleased to announce that the cumulative worldwide shipments* of the psychological horror SILENT HILL 2 (PlayStation®5, Steam®), which was released on 8 October, have surpassed one million units.

Press Release: https://www.konami.com/games/corporate/ja/news/topics/20241017sh/

Konami PR Tweet: https://twitter.com/Konami_PR_IR/status/1846699552193368181

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
I will never forgive EA for reviving Dead Space with a fantastic remake to just shelve the series again. I will never give them money again.

Good sales for SH2. I really want a remake for 1 or 4.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
EA is American company with higher costs. Bloober is Polish and Konami in Japan both lower costs. That's why you see Sega happy with 1m sales.

Dead Space was made in about 18 months though, where EA Motive isn't the biggest studio.

AFAIK, DE:R wasn't a bomb, it did break even, but not enough for EA to think it was worth continuing.

Which is bullshit considering the second one could probably be made way more efficiently with the systems and engine already made.

DamageEX2

May 20, 2024
Surprises me that the ratio for the PC version its not big, it was a game that did well on Steam before the release

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Dead Space was made in about 18 months though, where EA Motive isn't the biggest studio.
It wasn't quite that short. Squadrons released October 2020 and Dead Space released January 2023. It was just over two years (maybe longer if DS was in pre-production before Squadrons shipped).

If anything, the short dev time for DS remake makes it more likely that Motive will return to it after Iron Man, especially with EA moving away from licensed games.

Ara63

Nov 21, 2023
Good numbers for silent hill considering it's not on xb (yeah, xb is doing bad in Europe, but still) when compared to AW2 , and doing close to Dead Space is good
Surprised at the split vs PC. Seems some genres really favour consoles and others are more favorable to PC. Sony is probably monitoring those trends closely to choose what and when to port first party games

Horror is actually a PC-favouring genre if anything, it's a streamer staple.

I think it's just Silent Hill has strong PS IP ties. Same reason that Crash 4 has more PS-leaning splits vs Switch than you'd expect for a mascot platformer.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is pretty much a snob take, but I despise the gameplay of the Tenkaichi/Sparking series compared to a good ass fighting game like FighterZ and hate the fact that the former is so much more lucrative than the latter.

Still wish everyone who enjoys this type of game fun with it though, honestly. But this spells doom for my dream of an actually good AND fanservicey One Piece fighting game comparable to FighterZ.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Those splits were UK not EU. But you're right. Globally the picture will be a little closer, when you consider more PC-centric markets. But still, only Germany and Eastern European countries lean PC in Europe, and they won't have the same attachment to these franchises.
From GSD, which are the publishers of the game.
Who?

DeejayDoom

Oct 25, 2017
Did people skip the part that this is only talking about Europe, and the audio says Silent Hill sales in the EU are like 1/5 of the global total?

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine comparing EA with Konamis costs and expectations.

EA is in the AAA home run business. ROI is everything to determine future resourcing.

Konami's in the pachinko business with AAA as a side hustle. We have no clue what their plans are going forward.