• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Food Courts?

• Lots of Good Stuff!

Votes: 83 46.4%
  • Why would I eat at the mall??? lmao

Votes: 32 17.9%
  • No longer, but when I was kid that place was fire!

Votes: 64 35.8%

• Total voters

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3 Shredded Chicken Burritos from Taco Bell. Depending on the time of day I might be able to get me some Baja Blast too. Now I'm hungry.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
I hit up Orange Julius or Jamba Juice for a smoothie. Then I leave the food court before I start to look like a creepy old man alone at the mall.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it's a Costco food court, easy dinner-sized meal with the hotdog + soda and a slice of pizza. If we're only talking mall food courts, I don't think $7 would carry that far nowadays. Maybe a sandiwch combo or something.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Chinese food was always my go to. Don't know if it was a chain but the place with the thick ass noodles I can remember being at multiple malls.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I worked at Kay-Bee Toys, I'd grab a soft pretzel and a blue raspberry shaved ice and chill out in my car to get away from the noise. When I was a kid we never hung out at the mall. Even then there wasn't enough to do, you could look around Walden Books, maybe blow some money in the arcade, but that was about it. Kay-Bee was overpriced and had garbage stock, and we didn't get an EB games there until I was much older.

In case anyone is curious, it was this mall in particular. You can see where there used to be a Timeout arcade near the Pennys. Apparently it's a well-preserved example of a 70s mall;

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Need to find a taco bell to maximize my $7. Or a Popeyes if the monthly deal is good

Exactly! Taco Bell dollar menu makes a feast.
My personal menu hack is Cheesy Bean & Rice Burrito - Fresco Style
Fresco means all the dairy and sauces are removes, which knocks out a significant chunk of the sodium.
AND that's replaced with a fresh pico digiao. So it's actually a fairly healthy snack by fast food standards....not regular standards.

Oh yeah, and it's a free upgrade for everything on their menu. It's fucking awesome.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
When I was growing up, my hometown mall had a TaoTao and I fucking loved the General Tao (their take on General Tso) chicken. The TaoTao closed like 15 years ago, a couple of years before I graduated high school. I used to be a mallrat because the mall's arcade was tucked in the corner of the food court section of the mall and those were my DDR days.

I think it cost like $9 and change after sales tax though, so for $7 I'm not getting it.

Nowadays the mall is like half-empty, and all the big department stores shifted the locations in that mall to outlet versions... It feels so gutted compared to my childhood.

No more Suncoast, which was another hotspot I loved to visit, on the floor just above the arcade. I got a few of my all-time favorite Dragon Ball Z action figures from there growing up because nowhere else in my hometown sold them.

OP
OP
Video Games Are Dumb
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
When I was growing up, my hometown mall had a TaoTao and I fucking loved the General Tao (their take on General Tso) chicken. The TaoTao closed like 15 years ago, a couple of years before I graduated high school. I used to be a mallrat because the mall's arcade was tucked in the corner of the food court section of the mall and those were my DDR days.

I think it cost like $9 and change after sales tax though, so for $7 I'm not getting it.

Nowadays the mall is like half-empty, and all the big department stores shifted the locations in that mall to outlet versions... It feels so gutted compared to my childhood.

No more Suncoast, which was another hotspot I loved to visit, on the floor just above the arcade. I got a few of my all-time favorite Dragon Ball Z action figures from there growing up because nowhere else in my hometown sold them.

I can relate HARD to that story. I think there was this strange era in the retail industry when Apple was doing so well that malls thought tech and nerds would save them which...lol the internet. But it was pretty fucking boss to stroll through a mall on a friday afternoon, snatch up a new Xbox/PS2/GC game, get another 3 episodes of anime for 30 bucks, and then watch some kid wipe out trying to do breakdown double pad. Buddy of mine got so obsessed he bought the metal plates fore the PS2, it was fucking amazing.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Growing up there was a small stand in the food court at the Independence Center that sold stuff strombolis, calzones, and pizza. That is where I tasted my first calzone: a delicious ham, spinach, and ricotta cheese treat. We'd eat there a lot before it went away. It's what put me on my lifelong love of ricotta cheese and calzones. I'd give anything for a time machine and $7 to go back and get one more...