• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Oh I was perfectly aware I wasn't getting a W out of this. But I felt like making others think about what they do and how that might affect other people's lifes. That's an unpopular approach, I also know that.

The hills where everyone treats everyone else the way he would want to be treated. I can die on these.

Funny thing is, if you'd really know me, you'd laugh at the thought I was a corporate shill.

If I really knew you and thought you were being honest with any of this, I'd be worring at the utter insanity of shitting on a forum poster over a few clicks of someone working on customer support (and getting paid for it). Since, well, I don't, I'm simply going to assume you're rando poster #9345861 trying to spin their pathetic, backfired attempt at corporate shilling and holier-than-thou shaming as being so much more virtuous and empathetic than anyone else.

So on that note, ignore it is.

Edit: missed this post:
For a big company like Amazon (who don't charge until despatch anyway) it's not a big deal.

But there are smaller to mid tier sized companies, where time wasted on cancelling and refunding is significant enough to affect costs.

It's like that in my office. We are a logistics company. If a client books with us, let's say that dialogue took 10 minutes of email back and forths and then a 20 minute phone call to finalise and a further 10 minute of system admin to finalise the booking details on the system. That's 40 minutes of my time, plus storage on the emails/system, plus phone bills.

Let's say a week later the person cancels and wants a full refund, and with this theoretical example I'm considering the cancellation happened before the shipment was even actually organised (so giving benefit of doubt for even less time spent than if it had got to that stage).

Let's add an extra 20 minutes for the refund dislogue and needing to inform Accounts and management of refund request. That's now a total of 1 hour of time that was spent on that client, all for them to get their money back anyway if we would refund on demand.

1 hour that could have been spent on clients who had shipments already in progress, or on other new clients who potentially would have order values greater than the cancelling client and who wouldn't cancel.

With all this in mind, our policy of no refunds (but you can use your order value as credit for a future booking) makes sense. Sometimes for regular clients we'll break the rule (logicaly makes sense) or if a client has cancelled early enough from the time they booked we'll refund less a certain amount to cover admin costs.

For me, and perhaps you'll interpret this as towing my company's line, this all makes logical sense. Time is money isn't just some empty platitude, it's literally and logically true.

1) The game in particular is digital and bought from Microsoft so 80% of the above doesn't apply.
2) Framing it as a loss of time and money for the company is an entirely different argument from the one Planet made, which is using workers as a shield for corporate apologism.

Last edited:

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Why the hell do I never get any Sony email discounts?

I would kill for a 40% voucher if someone has but won't use it please

Arghhh :(

Polygatari

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
The problem is, this argument is over a digital store of a multi-million corporation. Refunding it literally amounts to like 2mins of a support persons time (or none if the refund button in your xbox order list is working now). That's more the reason why people are confused this even came up.

Obviously people may find more moral issues with doing it with a independent store or such, though even then it's still within the bounds of the law so the person is technically doing nothing wrong.
Agreed. The digital store front is like the Amazon example.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Funny thing is, if you'd really know me, you'd laugh at the thought I was a corporate shill.

That is exactly what you're doing though, the costs of processing a digital order and then processing a refund are minuscule and entirely automated

deadfolk preordering and later cancelling might cost Microsoft a few cents, at most. Last year they had a profit of about $30bn. They can afford to eat the cost

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

yeah, and if I get one I somehow miss it (FIFA 30% off expired) - thankfully I just found the Netflix one so £23.97 added to my account is nice :)

but 40% off...man I could do some damage with that!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did eventually get the Netflix one, but it was 2-3 days later than the first reports of it being sent out. Hopefully something similar is happening this time.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Surely it's not a flat 40% discount off of anything/everything... that would be insane.

Max spend is £140 and Sony won't let you put multiple pre-orders in a basket at once.

3093838.jpg

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently so according to HotUKDeals! Quite a few in the thread saying they've received them. I think Pre-orders are the only thing people cant use them on.

Max spend is £140 and Sony won't let you put multiple pre-orders in a basket at once.

3093838.jpg
Nice. Maybe I'll hold off of buying Castlevania for a bit (not exactly expensive, but I don't buy that much any more).

I've never had a voucher from PSN. I've been a + member from the start as well, I wonder what the criteria is...
Same. I get all of the marketing gumph but no vouchers. :(

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I got the Netflix code (yay!) two weeks ago but a 40% off on anything code would be fantastic. Please PlayStation, hit that button with my email address!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you have any respect for the time and money of other people? Payment processing and reverting isn't cost free for all involved parties and probably requires human supervision at some point. People like you abusing goodwill services help reducing the availability of such for others who just use them when really needed.
lmao, talk about an overreaction.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Wow that's some crazy discount, must be only for high PSN spenders or something though ;)
I got the Netflix voucher but didn't get this one yet
It'll be quite the opposite - more likely, it's sent to those who never buy anything, to try to get them to make a purchase. "Loyalty" rewards for this sort of thing are very rare - sadly. :(

And yes, if anyone were to have a spare code, I'd also be extremely grateful for it!

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be quite the opposite - more likely, it's sent to those who never buy anything, to try to get them to make a purchase. "Loyalty" rewards for this sort of thing are very rare - sadly. :(

And yes, if anyone were to have a spare code, I'd also be extremely grateful for it!

I guess you're right, is it UK only? On my Swiss account I haven't bought anything for almost a decade, but didn't get a voucher yet.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I never buy anything on PSN and certainly haven't for many months (maybe all year?) and I've had no code. I get emails advertising new releases and promotions all the time. Guess I wasn't lucky this time.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
They sent it to just enough people that the word gets out there that it exists, so that people think "oh I bet it's just for loyal customers, maybe if I spend a bit more on PSN I'll get one next time..."
Usually the logic goes if someone spend something and then stopped, then we will give them an incentive to spend again. People who buy a lot do it with or without these offers.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
The post about 40% off PSN went pretty hot on HUKD. Usually codes that are user specific get downvoted quickly if not many people received them

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I also didn't get it. PS+ user who hasn't really bought anything (that isn't free PS+ stuff obviously) in quite some time.

Not sure if there's anything I'd buy with it anyway, so I'm not massively upset.

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017
would you guys get a tv from amazon warehouse? or think it can be more damaged than the box, there are a couple of
TCL 65DP648 65" really cheap in "good condition"

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Just realised I opted out of recieving offers from Sony...oops. Probably too late for this code, but maybe next time.
would you guys get a tv from amazon warehouse? or think it can be more damaged than the box, there are a couple of
I'd hesitate myself, but you can always send it back if you're not satisfied in any way. I did that with my 1070 - I think I sent about two back before I got one I was happy with. Saved me a lot of money though, so worth the hastle.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I got one in "very good" condition and while it was physically great, the internal panel was smashed. Returning it was easy as pie though once I contacted support directly, they arranged for a courier.

I also bought a 27" GSync monitor from them and that was perfect. I woke up very drink when I unboxed it and thought there was no power supply, so Amazon refunded me £70 to get an official one.... I later found the power supply.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently in your account settings you need to enable receiving offers from sony. I can't remember exactly where it is in account settings.

My one was disabled by default and probably has been for years. I just enabled it the other day hopefully start getting some offers others have been getting.

8_bit_tony

Jan 29, 2018
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Wow that's some crazy discount, must be only for high PSN spenders or something though ;)
I got the Netflix voucher but didn't get this one yet
Yeah my theory is this. The guy on HOTUKD said he didn't spend much, but was an active user of PSN (says his son buys a lot of Fortnite skins/credits)... so maybe that's how they pick you out. I'm still mainly physical and only use PSN for maybe the odd digital only release or like recently bought the Resident Evil 7 DLC.

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017
Just realised I opted out of recieving offers from Sony...oops. Probably too late for this code, but maybe next time.

I'd hesitate myself, but you can always send it back if you're not satisfied in any way. I did that with my 1070 - I think I sent about two back before I got one I was happy with. Saved me a lot of money though, so worth the hastle.

You can send it back if you dont like it. The like new stuff most of the times is actually new but with open box. Never bought anything in "good condition".

I got one in "very good" condition and while it was physically great, the internal panel was smashed. Returning it was easy as pie though once I contacted support directly, they arranged for a courier.

I also bought a 27" GSync monitor from them and that was perfect. I woke up very drink when I unboxed it and thought there was no power supply, so Amazon refunded me £70 to get an official one.... I later found the power supply.

Thanks for the advice, i would probably give it a try, i don't think it's going to be that cheap in black friday.., is almost 40% off in the warehouse which is a lot.

OP
OP
Saoshyant

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Careful with Kinguin. Much like G2A, they are key resellers who take keys from anywhere including from stolen sources or those that have been bought with credit cards that will get charged back in the future. When those cases happen, your key will likely get marked as such and then revoked on Steam. "Oh, but I have bought things from there in the past and that has never happened to me", you say. Sure, but don't recommend shoddy places like that gladly is what I'm getting at, because then it will happen to someone here at some point.

Edit: That said, Simply Games has it for £32.85 (+ 2.50 for shipping to Europe), which isn't a bad price at all.

Last edited: