• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Could Disney strip his director's credits for Avengers and AoU?

Probably don't want to be giving royalties to a POS like Whedon, especially with Wandavision so tied into AoU.

Fuck Whedon.

Idk if this makes you feel any better, but MCU has gotten better and better ever since Feige kicked Whedon out of MCU.
No one will ever credit Whedon for Wandavision.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about still enjoying Media. It's about recognizing the hard work of people who are total shitbags. Ergo, taking away Whedon's credit to the character and giving it Jane Espenson who was a better writer anyways.

Dirtbag is gone, and hard working people still get the credit they deserve without being tarnished by shitbag.
The past is the past though. Joss Whedon did create Buffy and he did direct the first 2 Avengers movies. Those things happened. All we can change is how we approach his body of work going forward.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
So WB currently employs at least 5 (?) abusers on the TV/Film side of things: Joss Whedon, Geoff Johns, Walter Hamada, Ezra Miller & Amber Heard.

And this doesn't get into the fact that they currently do business with JK Rowling and other situations that exist like Jared Leto.

What the fuck are they thinking.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
This explains a lot about why Charisma left the show Angel the way she did.

Fuck Joss.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
After Dollhouse it was pretty obvious the dude was very problematic. That show made me feel dirty and I bailed out midway through the first season. Everything we have found out since then seems obvious looking at a lot of his work.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Christ on a stick that's some despicable behaviour. What a mean, disgusting asshole.

The 'fat'comments are bang out if order.

Him questioning if she is going to keep the baby, in the way he did, is just evil.

He knew damn well what he was inferring, and he wasnt even with her! All for a fucking show.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's been long known that Joss basically punished (there's really no other word for it) Charisma for getting pregnant, and fired her off the show. And when she agreed to come back, her character was immediately killed off with finality as a final "fuck you."

This is just spelled out with clarity from her own words. The guy sucks.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Wow, so he really is a POS. He needs to face consequences for this like being blacklisted forever. No longer will credit him for Buffy and Angel as I'm sure other creative minds were the REAL magic behind it. Screw him.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
So WB currently employs at least 5 (?) abusers on the TV/Film side of things: Joss Whedon, Geoff Johns, Walter Hamada, Ezra Miller & Amber Heard.

And this doesn't get into the fact that they currently do business with JK Rowling and other situations exist like Jared Leto.

What the fuck are they thinking.
Worst part is they're still also siding with them, both Depp and Ray got fired

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Charisma is my favorite actress from the entire Buffy franchise, and while it was pretty obvious shit was being glossed over as to her exit from Angel, having it laid out this bare is stark, and reading her statement made me tear up. I'm glad Whedon is finally getting some repercussions for an entire career of horrible behavior.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Gross. I love almost everything he's worked on, but I'm fine with him being unemployed forever after all this.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of things to unpack there.

At the top of my mind is how someone who creates something like Buffy lacks the introspection to not do certain things.

It's not like people haven't displayed behavior than what Joss hasn't done but it still is disappointing when people can't make connections from their experiences to guide them in interacting with other people better.

Oh well. I hope these investigations make the owners in the film industry hire people who are more professional as managers and who basically can mediate things between different employees instead of allowing situations like this where a person who needs to be leading certain aspects of a project shouldn't be allowed to manage people directly. Heck this is something that should be considered across all industries. Most people aren't talented at being management and the way business schools train people to be managers hasn't caught up yet with the fall out from the MeToo movement.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow. This is so much to take in. Been expecting this day for so many years but never thought I'd see it so soon.

it's so especially upsetting because Charisma has been upfront about this situation but very much in a respectful way this entire time and afaik, that pig Whedon has never once tried to apologize to her or anything.

<3 you Charisma

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Wow, asking your colleague, who you have a degree of power over, if they'll be keeping their baby? Who does that?

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Yo the fuck he ask her if she was going to keep it? The fuck is wrong with people. Is it that hard to be a decent human being

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
There has been horrible stories coming out about him since at least 2016, but he sadly keep going :(

In 2016 his ex-wife accused him of "multiple affairs and a number of inappropriate emotional ones that he had with his actresses, co-workers, fans and friends, while he stayed married to me." over the course of 15 years
Man this one has always bothered me because as far as I've seen no one else has come forward and corroborated it as far as there being affairs. I have no doubt that the relationship between Joss and his wife was definitely unstable, and as bad as she claims. But now after reading this and now that this has come out for real real I gotta wonder what will follow.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Liking art that was made by a shitty person is not a reflection on your character and pretending that you can rewrite reality is silly and immature. Relax.
Also it's differently when it's a superhero movie compared to a director like Woody Allen whose films are semi-autobiographical or the main character is based on his mannerism.

Outside the actors I almost never really think of the non-screen staff when watching a film.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I had this man on a pedistal for years. Firefly, Buffy, Angel were shows I pushed on everyone and sang Whedon praise anytime I could.

I feel so dirty now, what a miserable fuck.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
If a woman tells you she is pregnant of course she is going to keep it. I tend to put a lot of this stuff in context of the time but that one certainty is universally not how to read the room.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What the heck. I knew he was more than a little difficult to work with but if he was trying to pressure a pregnant woman to have an abortion that is way beyond anything I had expected. That's totally fucked up.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
There were always rumors, and anyone that watched Angel knew shit wasn't right when she left.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
So obviously Joss Whedon is a piece of shit, and the abortion item/ask is absolutely disgusting.

I was reading the thread title (before reading the twitter posts) and was going to do a "at what point is the "Whiplash" director / teacher technique not OK?", but this isn't the guy to have that debate around. There's a difference between a hostile work environment to try and drive excellence and what this guy was doing. There's outright gender discrimination here too.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
He's been a known piece of shit for years and nerds on this site have defended him time and time again.

Brave of Carpenter for writing this and I hope her and his other victims see some type of justice for his abuse.

bibliodragon

Oct 30, 2017
Cordelia was my favourite character on Angel, and I was part of the fandom back then. I remember Joss having the gall to say her leaving was because she wanted to spend time with her family, and people close to her/family members coming forward online to say actually no, not the case, not her choice. While I knew something like this had gone down, seeing it in her own words, just damn. Screw Joss.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
If a woman tells you she is pregnant of course she is going to keep it. I tend to put a lot of this stuff in context of the time but that one certainty is universally not how to read the room.

Right?

Like the sheer audacity to ask someone whether or not they are going to keep their baby. If this is a subject they want to discuss with you, they will ask you.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
What is Whedon's thing with pregnant women anyway? Between this disgusting thing he said to Charisma Carpenter, the Buffy gets an abortion comic and the absolutely ridiculous Black Widow plotline in AoU about how she's a monster for not being able to get children, he seems to have some really odd issue with pregnancies.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Good reminder to not put creators on a pedestal. Love a lot of the stuff he's done but dude's shit as a person. Fuck 'im
Good for Charisma to finally come out with this. Can't have been easy