• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 28, 2019
I think it was actually confirmed many years later, but Tony from Earthbound, Jeff's loyal and slightly fussy friend from boarding school. He's a minor character and only appears a few times, but he seems to be crushing on Jeff pretty hard. He's also utterly devoted to his friend, to the point where he is willing to help Jeff pack a few things and jump the school fence in the middle of the night, on the eve of Tony's birthday, without needing to know why. ;_;

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was with you OP until you mentioned Ignis.

Now Prompto, on the other hand...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
No he's definitely right this thread is literally just headcanons

Hardly. Some may be, but there are many examples that are all but confirmed -- where, if the characters in question were opposite sex, there would be zero question (see: Ike/Soren; Fang/Vanille; etc).

Of course, if there's even the slightest ambiguity to be read in a homosexual relationship, there will inevitably be heterosexual people who loudly attempt to decry its existence, whether because the homosexuality conflicts with their chosen ship, or because they actively want to stifle queer voices, or because "muh just friends."

Ike x Soren is still denied by people to this day, despite ample evidence, including official book Word of God that "their hearts joined together as one." So basically, there doesn't even need to be ambiguity for denial; two male characters could literally exchange 'I love yous' while sucking each other off, and there'd be people ready with "they were just experimenting, meanwhile such-and-such loves X character they've barely interacted with."

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If you play as a male Warrior of Light in Final Fantasy XIV, Alphinaud and Haurchefant are extremely obviously bi, at the very least. The Crystal Exarch too. Other characters tease Alphinaud about it constantly, specifically. I imagine some of the female NPCs give off the same impression when playing as a female MC.

FFXV is odd in that every member of the main cast can be shipped with each other without there being much to contradict it. It's partly down to their commitment to each other being way stronger than most male bonds in video games, and also because Luna/Noctis is terribly written. Noctis has better on-screen chemistry with literally everyone else, from Dino to Araena.

Also Atlus are cowards and will basically never confirm any of their Persona characters to be gay outside of making cheap allusions or gags, including Kanji.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Am I gay? I don't talk like that either.
Chris is out here dressed like a leather daddy, a sailor stripper, and has a bazillion contextual clues to his sexuality, and people are still turning a blind eye.

This is way subtext sucks. Developers need to get some fucking balls and confirm things. None of this queer baiting garbage.

Jeeves

Nov 21, 2017
Ghirahim seems like a pretty safe bet.
MQAmwmK.jpg

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm a straight man IRL. Every woman I play in video games is lesbian. No ladies to romance - then no romance is had. Sorry Cmdr Shepard Liara is not in ME2. Better hope she gets back on board in part 3. What's that Cassandra in DA:I? you are straight! Okay, guess I'll just fly solo then. Aloy - yes I agree you have more to do than romance but how about you look up Talanah - see if she is up to anything. I'm probably being sexist and showing lesbian fetishism or something - I wouldn't disagree. They all like the ladies though - its weird. What the dudes get up to I don't care. There are lots of them to keep themselves busy though.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Chris is out here dressed like a leather daddy, a sailor stripper, and has a bazillion contextual clues to his sexuality, and people are still turning a blind eye.

This is way subtext sucks. Developers need to get some fucking balls and confirm things. None of this queer baiting garbage.
I agree with you.

I'm just saying that particular example on it's own is pretty weak, especially compared to everything else (like you've stated).

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Yosuke in P4. But Altus retconned it, so instead of it being Yosuke projecting self-hatred onto Kanji, he's just a homophobic asshole.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I agree with you.

I'm just saying that particular example on it's own is pretty weak, especially compared to everything else (like you've stated).
I think the point is that it can't be considered in a vaccuum? It's not that he wrote about babes and Claire questioning it, it's that it happened ON TOP OF everything else.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sora and riku is like... the easiest ship ever. how one plays DDD and doesn't think there's something there, ill never know

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017

... they are non canon, fanservice costumes. Have you seen the stuff they put on Jill.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you.

But it's not on its own. It's part of a giant gay tapestry.

The only thing missing is the word gay, and the courage to allow characters to properly display their sexuality beyond cowardly subtext you'd expect from a teenager.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Not sure that was the intent with Ocelot..those games didn't shy away from openly showing non hetero attraction but it certainly makes his character more interesting.

Edit: uhmm..looks like I didn't pay attention to numerous hints.

Last edited:

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
In Resident Evil 2 there's a note from Chris which Claire notes doesn't sound like him, and the letter is Chris as friendly, on vacation and as a womanizer.

This is in a series where hardly any protagonist can get though a game without starting or continuing a romantic relationship with another character, but Chris and Sheva shake hands and call it a day, Chris treats Jill like a sister, and he's physically pushing Jessica off of him in Revelations 1.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
If people want Chris to be gay, that's okay, but stop using that letter in RE2 as a "proof".
The letter isn't about his sexuality, it's about him hiding from Umbrella lol.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
... they are non canon, fanservice costumes. Have you seen the stuff they put on Jill.
Have you seen the stuff they put on the other male characters? Are any of them portrayed in the same way Chris is in terms of homoerotic sex appeal?

If people want Chris to be gay, that's okay, but stop using that letter in RE2 as a "proof".
It's both because Claire doesn't know about Umbrella. (And he isn't hiding from Umbrella, he's spying on them.)

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Claire is a random civilian that has nothing to do with Umbrella, she just sees him talking about babes and immediately can tell its fishy.

It means hes gay jim

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you seen the stuff they put on the other male characters? Are any of them portrayed in the same way Chris is in terms of homoerotic sex appeal?

It's both because Claire doesn't know about Umbrella. (And he isn't hiding from Umbrella, he's spying on them.)
I think Barry might have gotten something in Rev 2, but nothing even close to Chris' level.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom gaybaits Chris enough that frankly the right to decide isn't in their hands anymore. It's imo like how the guy who named Gifs can actually be wrong.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Do you understand how costumes work in videogames, right? Why do you think female characters are frequently put in bikini or costumes? Or do you think Jill has a secret stripper career?

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Is bi included
If so Snake and Otacon sailing into the sunset with their adopted daughter
In fact I declare the only Metal Gear straight to be Huey

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Do you understand how costumes work in videogames, right? Why do you think female characters are frequently put in bikini or costumes? Or do you think Jill has a secret stripper career?
Do you think male and female characters are treated the same when it comes to sexuality? You're being intentionally obtuse.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you.

I'm joking because I think it's funny how you can read that moment that way in the greater context of all the pandering over the years.

I like reading Chris as gay not necessarily because there's a wealth of definite evidence to prove it but more because it's cool and empowering to have one of the horror action stars of video gaming since the PS1 days also be gay.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Ignis seems like a stretch. Ignis acts like a parent more than anything else. Never really got any romantic undertones or subtext.