Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
How many times in MGSV: The Phantom Pain did a character talk about literal phantom pains in their missing limbs, or directly explain that emotional and cultural losses are metaphorical "phantom pains."

I think at least six or seven times?

EDIT:

Episode 1: PHANTOM LIMBS
Kazuhira Miller: Snake... Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg and my arm... even my fingers... The body I've lost... The comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there.
Venom Snake: ...My fingertips. My left fingertips.

Ocelot: Sounds like phantom pain. Your brain remembers your old hand.
Miller: Not a bit... but the phantom pain... it never lets up. Do you know how many men I saw die that day? There's nothing we can do to bring them back, and you expect me to care about getting a measly arm and leg back?! [long pause and sigh] Sorry. But my pain belongs to all our dead comrades. I'll keep living with it for their sake. It'll guide me straight and true until I've gotten them the vengeance they deserve.
Ocelot: Those of your men who survived traveled far and wide. They fought throughout the world--in fact, they're part of the reason we have all these PFs now. Every one of them suffered their own "phantom pain" from losing you.
Skull Face: People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.
Kazuhira Miller: (offscreen) Anyone can give up his fight by laying down arms. But the feeling of holding a gun we'll never forget. Like our lost limbs, the sensation lingers.
Kazuhira Miller: (offscreen) We hold our rifles in missing hands. We stand tall on missing legs. We stride forward on the bones of our fallen. Then, and only then, are we alive. This "pain" is ours, and no one else's.
Kazuhira Miller: At-ten-tion! Diamond Dogs! Even with Skull Face dead, our brothers are unavenged. And the phantom pain he brought us lives on.
Kazuhira Miller: Boss... I don't know how you do it. (losing words) All I could do was obsess over revenge... doubting my comrades along the way. But even after all we accomplished, the phantom pain never let up. If anything, it just got worse. But you understood that from the start, didn't you? From the moment you opened your eyes in that hospital. You knew it wouldn't go away... Yet, you've been fighting the pain and confronting your phantoms the whole time...
Paz: Once you are done listening to it, I am one phantom limb that will be gone for good.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
DGKbyvZU0AAl4FF.jpg
You know, this scene should have been pretty cringe inducing. Not only do they name drop the name of the game but they also explain the thesis of the game's story pretty bluntly. But goddamn I love it. Really made an impart on me as a teenager.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not a game, but we rented Call of the Wild last night and Harrison Ford's closing monologue made me laugh and reminded me of "you know, Ellie". At the end, he growls out with his gravelly old voice (that sounds like he's imitating David Hayter) a little closing diatribe talking about the dog that ends: he was just a dog... until he answered... THE CALL-- [screen slams black, text reads THE CALL OF THE WILD]

*jangly "woah-oh-oh" acoustic guitar song starts playing as the credits roll*

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Morgana: "You know Joker, when you unleashed your fifth Persona, it really was Royal"

Threw my PlayStation out the window.

(I tried, someone else please try better than me.)

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
maxresdefault.jpg

This will never be topped until Joel turns to Ellie and tells her that they really are the last of us.

The memes are just too strong.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
"I'm Harry Mason. I love my daughter very much. I live in Silent Hill. I write for a living crap pretty much."
latest

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I love it when Final Fantasy games consistently work their numbers into the worldbuilding. Final Fantasy XIII having clocks with 13 hours is great and they never bring attention to it (until they have to use 12 hours for Lightning Returns' gameplay) and VII has a few subtle ones, like there technically only being 7 sectors in Midgar once the game begins.

Also Bravely Default: Flying Fairy but that one's a bit of a spoiler

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
"Cloud, I'm here to Remake our destiny. You see, this will not be our Final Fantasy. You only have VII seconds left. Will you do it?"

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just remembered the title drop in Mass Effect 1. Actually really like that one

They called it the greatest discovery in human history.

The civilizations of the galaxy call it...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love it when Final Fantasy games consistently work their numbers into the worldbuilding. Final Fantasy XIII having clocks with 13 hours is great and they never bring attention to it (until they have to use 12 hours for Lightning Returns' gameplay) and VII has a few subtle ones, like there technically only being 7 sectors in Midgar once the game begins.

Squall starts the game at level 7 with just enough experience to automatically level up to 8 on the first battle, thus symbolizing moving on from FF7 to FF8.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
I remember this dialogue near the ending.

Snake: this Metal Gear is pretty Solid... how many do you have?

Seller: a whole lot. But they aren't cheap.

Snake: How much money is left, Ocelot?

Ocelot: Almost none. We can afford like... five?

Snake nods to the seller: Metal Gear Solid, 3. *looks at Ocelot* Subsistence.

Sorry for the low quality post

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I want to know how brazen writers and devs can be!

I'll start: "You know, Ellie, we really are The La-" ok just kidding. But more seriously, actual game quotes please, not made-up ones

....Huh. I never actually finished the game so I figured this was just an actual line in the game the whole time.