• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Mellamo Luis Sera.

e7ce2658c59957b567302315519a0339.jpg

Resident Evil is no stranger to one-off characters. Billy, Carlos, Parker, Moira, Sheva, you name it. But this guy is the most unsung of them all, and he appeared in one of the most popular games in the whole franchise.

A former cop who outwardly has a devil-may-care attitude, he's got a heart of gold underneath, and really does care about helping people and taking out the Los Illuminados. His background serves as a nice foil to Leon's.

Luis is essentially having his own journey through the village and castle while Leon is trudging around, and appears to help him several times. He's integral to the story and his assistance proves vital to Leon completing his mission. I always thought he deserved his own campaign, like Ada had hers. It's arguable that what he did during the story is a lot more important than what Ada was doing.

Who's your favorite example of a one-off character?

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Groose, who gets robbed every time he gets left out of a new version of Hyrule Warriors.

Oct 25, 2017
Luis was my first pick as well. Still waiting to see him pop into Mercenaries...maybe someday

Had a lot of fun with I believe the Action Replay on GCN fudging numbers to make him playable, but he was missing a lot of animations.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Tenzin from Uncharted 2, and I didn't even understand a single word the guy said.
tumblr_pgf680XuWh1wke126o1_500.gifv

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
It kinda bothers me that Iris from the third game of Ace Attorney series is completely dropped out of existence outside the game she's in,
considering her relationship to Phoenix and his past.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Great pick, OP! Few could forget Luis. I also believed Luis deserved his own campaign, or at least a spot as a playable character in Mercenaries.

I'll submit Charlie Cutter from Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, who unfortunately had a smaller role in the game than originally planned due to his actor, Graham McTavish, having to move to New Zealand in order to star in The Hobbit. I really do wish he'd get his own game, or at least a supporting role.

charliecutter.jpg

Let's also go with a big one from the Yakuza series...
Kaoru Sayama. No, I don't count her brief appearance in the prologue of Yakuza 3. She inexplicably uses a throwaway line about having to go overseas, and then disappears from the series forever.

latest

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

For a series that loves bringing back or showing the pasts of villains as much as Metal Gear we really don't see much of Solidus after MGS2 not even in Raiden's game. Which is a shame because he's honestly one of my favorite bad guys in the series.

Ok we see his corpse in MGS4 but that shouldn't count.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Iorveth from Witcher 2. Somehow I thought he appeared in the books, but it wasn't the case.

Oct 27, 2017
Hard for me to choose one so I will list a few:

-Kaoru from Yakuza 2
-Shinada from Yakuza 5
-Carlos from RE3
-Billy from RE0
-Sheva from RE5

And hopefully we will not have to list Joe Baker. That guy is awesome and I hope he returns in a new RE game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This. Still waiting on her WW2 game :(
A Platinum Games' Metal Gear about her is award bait. MGS6 The Joy of Battle. Fucking hell imagine if in the last episode she's about to give birth to Ocelot and you've got to get her across, it probably be scripted so it's not too much and she can't actually die but still.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018

-Kaoru from Yakuza 2
-Shinada from Yakuza 5
-Carlos from RE3
-Billy from RE0
-Sheva from RE5

And hopefully we will not have to list Joe Baker. That guy is awesome and I hope he returns in a new RE game.
Joe deserves a spot in the next Vs. Capcom title, no joke

Deleted member 37342

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Saria.jpg

Saria from Ocarina of Time. She created one of the most iconic themes in the series and played a very important role in OOT Link's life, yet she has only appeared once. She only gets little nods and references in other Zelda games, which are always bittersweet.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I could fill this up with Yakuza characters...

latest

Good ol' Kuze. Manages to avoid death despite you fighting him around 5 times. Amazing boss themes and a nice cool character arc between him and Kiryu throughout the entire game.

And now jumping forward to Yakuza 5 - Shinada's loan shark/friend? Takasugi. He's got a great character arc in Yakuza 5 and remains absolutely one of my favourite characters in the game/series.

c488aad476798d94cebda90264b24330.jpg

And lastly, maybe sorta cheating but Watase (again, Yakuza 5). Its sorta cheating as he's in Ishin as well but he's playing a completely different character so I don't really count that. He's a great villain that has it out for Kiryu/Tojo Clan but like Kiryu he's got his own sense of honor, which gives him a badass boss fight and some really good scenes featuring him, especially toward the end of the game. Though, I've seen rumors that he might be about to turn up in another Yakuza game...

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I could fill this up with Yakuza characters...

latest

Good ol' Kuze. Manages to avoid death despite you fighting him around 5 times. Amazing boss themes and a nice cool character arc between him and Kiryu throughout the entire game.

And now jumping forward to Yakuza 5 - Shinada's loan shark/friend? Takasugi. He's got a great character arc in Yakuza 5 and remains absolutely one of my favourite characters in the game/series.

c488aad476798d94cebda90264b24330.jpg

And lastly, maybe sorta cheating but Watase (again, Yakuza 5). Its sorta cheating as he's in Ishin as well but he's playing a completely different character so I don't really count that. He's a great villain that has it out for Kiryu/Tojo Clan but like Kiryu he's got his own sense of honor, which gives him a badass boss fight and some really good scenes featuring him, especially toward the end of the game. Though, I've seen rumors that he might be about to turn up in another Yakuza game...
p
I knew I forgot a bunch of Yakuza characters...

Good list.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
p
I knew I forgot a bunch of Yakuza characters...

Good list.
I could have listed more. I mean, 0 has a pretty decent amount that I didn't even get to, like Awano, Shibusawa, Lao Gui, Tachibana, Oda...
Then 3 of course had Kanda, Rikiya and Mine (and maybe Andre, just because he consistently cracks me up). 5 also had that monster Kugihara, Baba, the president of Kiryu's taxi place (forget his name)... Heck even Kenzan's and Ishin's original characters (as in the ones that used original character models, not someone like Izo who was Ishin Nishiki) were fantastic.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Definetly. The man kicks so much ass throughout the dlc that I wished a sequel would come and continue his story.

He would fit a Vs game way more than Chris or Leon would.
Part of me feels like they'd make it Jack cuz he's the iconic villain of the game and he has monster man potential, but man, Joe would be so much fun as a big hitting grappler

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017

Good choice!

I feel like this is mainly gonna be a RE topic.

I'm sorry, coming from someone with a GODOT AVATAR!?

Ace Attorney has a bunch or memorable characters with strong ties to the main characters, but instead we get Oldbag, Lotta Hart and freaking Larry ad infinitum.

They made a game where you can play Edgeworth's badass Dad, then didn't localize it or ever used him again even in a backflash or anything. What a waste.

Gregory Edgeworth - from the game "Gyakuten Kenji 2" (Ace Attorney Investigations 2).

Edit: I mean for Yakuza, there's a good reason we never see most of them past a single game - they chose a risky profession. :L

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was always hilarious to me that Leon called Luis "Lewis" all the way up to the end, disrespecting him even in his final moments. Even Ashley pronounced it right.

The voice director on that game should have caught and corrected that.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Wrex being a party member in only the first Mass Effect is a god damn crime. The negative karma created from this event is why Bioware is in the state they are in.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Despite only appearing in the latest entry, I'm gonna say V from Devil May Cry

Reforming into Vergil kind of kills his chances of ever coming back, but I really liked the guy on his own merits

He's another one I'm really hoping gets a chance to shine in crossovers or a spin-off game
put him capcom vs or the next Project X Zone game on a team with Nero

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
W28bVmY.png

Abel, from Street Fighter IV.

I knew I was going to play him well before the game even released and I never switched characters. I tried playing Yang for a time after he came out but I kept coming back to Abel. Not sure why I was specifically drawn to him. I think I just really liked the blue gi. His mix-up style was a lot of fun and I pulled off some really great wins with him online. Shame he hasn't come back in V in a playable role because although I like the game I'd have way more fun if I could Tornado Throw some fools.

Jul 24, 2018

-Kaoru from Yakuza 2
-Shinada from Yakuza 5
-Carlos from RE3
-Billy from RE0
-Sheva from RE5

Kaoru is in Yakuza 3, if only briefly. I can't help but feel the decision to remove her from the equation is based on this weird negligence towards Japanese's protagonists being in committed relationships.