deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Nicholas Locarno and Tom Paris (actor: Robert Duncan McNeill)
latest
latest

Locarno was a character created for a the episode "The First Duty" of Star Trek Next Generation. When they made Star Trek Voyager they basically wanted that same character but did not want to pay residuals to the writer of that one episode for every episode of Voyager. So they created an entirely new character who just so happens to have a similar backstory and is played by the same actor.
While this is a common thought it was later proven false by the writing staff and Robert Duncan McNeill himself.

Oct 28, 2017
Nah you listen to them long enough the content is just different. They do have the same voice though 🤣

As far as hip hop goes, Your Old Droog did have me fooled for a little bit with Nas but you can also hear the differences given enough time.

Also Shyne and Biggie back in the day

Sep 5, 2021
Nomura's Noctis Expies.

Speaking of expies, you have the holy trinity of anime expy fountains: Rei Ayanami, Shana, and Saber. Then I can argue that Lewis Carroll's Alice has her own fountains.

762ab4ce37b24d4039cadf25f51f8f37.jpg

TsundereM10_5194.jpg

saber_expies.png

Alice from SAO is actually based on Alice in Wonderland, not King Arthur or Saber from Fate.

As for the armor, all the knights in SAO wear that armor, not just her. Each Knight has a color and hers is Blue and Gold. Saber wears silver armor with blue accents, so the armor doesnt even match.

And for the swords, they are quite different fundamentally. Saber's sword is Excalibur aka the sword in the stone. Alice's sword is an Apple Tree turned into a sword, a wooden sword.

Armored Skirts are not something Fate created at all.

Alice (SAO) is though to be based on Alice in Wonderland and characters from late 90s JRPG games.

And SAO starts before the release of FSN, although the Alicization arc started a year after the release of FSN this was her original appearance:

nucovIY_d.webp

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I just rewatched Oblivion and I gotta say, it feels like Morgan Freeman plays the same character in every sci-fi flick he's been in.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
A lot of Hiro Mashima's characters

latest

No, that's not Lucy. Nor Happy. Nor Wendy. Nor Gray after dying his hair blonde.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
A locally famous stoic badass with a heart of gold that frequently gets into scraps with baddies and freaks while taking time to help the kooky locals out with their oddball problems and his stalker frienemy who turns up everywhere

MZp6XDm.jpg

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the DBZ and Sonic stuff maps pretty easily.

Tails and Krillin
Knuckles and Piccolo
Shadow and Vegeta
Silver and Trunks
Eeeeh, I think Tails is more of a Bulma. Let's ignore what that implies about Tails and Shadow, though...

I guess there is that best friend angle to it, so a fusion of Krillin and Bulma? Krilma? Buririn? Something like that.

Dec 30, 2020
tonz_boyakie.gif
1*HOxmfeBXZRl782r5uMQ9vw@2x.jpeg

Tonzura and Boyaki from Yatterman, and Wario and Waluigi.

....Also Tonzura and Boyaki and every damn villain trio from Time Bokan.

pvwqlszmvtt61.png

Also from Mega Man and Kamen Rider Super-1, here are Heat Man, and FrankeLighter.

latest
latest

Last edited:

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
I don't know if this actually fits the thread but Peter Dinklage in both versions of Death at a Funeral - the British original and American remake - plays literally the same character, just with a different name. The only other example of this I can think of is Penelope Cruz in Abres Los Ojos and its remake Vanilla Sky.

David Tennant played the lead detective character in both Broadchurch and it's American remake Gracepoint.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Jake from State Farm as well.

Yeah, the DBZ and Sonic stuff maps pretty easily.

Tails and Krillin
Knuckles and Piccolo
Shadow and Vegeta
Silver and Trunks

Eeeeh, I think Tails is more of a Bulma. Let's ignore what that implies about Tails and Shadow, though...

I guess there is that best friend angle to it, so a fusion of Krillin and Bulma? Krilma? Buririn? Something like that.

I always figured Tails as Gohan.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Alice from SAO is actually based on Alice in Wonderland, not King Arthur or Saber from Fate.

As for the armor, all the knights in SAO wear that armor, not just her. Each Knight has a color and hers is Blue and Gold. Saber wears silver armor with blue accents, so the armor doesnt even match.

And for the swords, they are quite different fundamentally. Saber's sword is Excalibur aka the sword in the stone. Alice's sword is an Apple Tree turned into a sword, a wooden sword.

Armored Skirts are not something Fate created at all.

Alice (SAO) is though to be based on Alice in Wonderland and characters from late 90s JRPG games.

And SAO starts before the release of FSN, although the Alicization arc started a year after the release of FSN this was her original appearance:

nucovIY_d.webp

I'm not disputing anything you said because I have limited knowledge. Just want to say that an expy doesn't necessarily mean 1:1 correspondence. That's a belief the Rei expies perpetuated, but that has more to do with Rei's influence and less with the textbook definition of expy. Color scheme or armored skirt design language are not as crucial as archetypal personality traits. e.g. Goku and Sora look nothing alike outside of the spiky hair, but their roles as the male shonen protag make them not so different from each other. They're both kinda dumb, OP, and very good at making a connection with literally anyone ever.

Someone else stated that Darkness can't be a Saber expy, but I'd counterargue to say that she's a parody appropriation of the archetype Saber popularized, or at least rejuvenated. So there's a semblance of connection. In any case, I'm not as versed in Saber expies than I am in Rei and Shana expies, so I'm wiling to concede that maybe the Saber expy tree I copypasted is accurate only in design language and not in personality traits. If there's no one there who is unambigously a Saber expy then I'm comfortable with holding the L.

P.S. I did mention that Lewis Carroll's Alice sprouted her own fountains, so it's pretty cool that SAO Alice is based off of her.