• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Wqun6KM.gif

Why yes, I do prefer Kyrie's beautiful design compared to Elie and Abby's gutter trash uniforms. How did you know?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why yes, I do prefer Kyrie's beautiful design compared to Elie and Abby's gutter trash uniforms. How did you know?

Kyrie literally lives in a place called the slums.

I LOOOOVE FF7/R, but the fashionable catalogue of people living in Midgar's seemingly prestigious slums was really weird. TLOU2 character designs understand their world has gone to shit and look like it. 😅 🤣

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
My nomination...
NEXINd9.png

Palette swap with chocobo hair made it worse than the original design, which shouldn't be possible.

One of the Antagonists of Days Gone looks like the Main Character without a beard but he wears his Cappy forwards instead of backwards like Deacon does and i just could never not laugh about this fact.
latest

First glance and I really thought it's the protagonist then I read the rest of your post lol wth

Agree. Seymour is on another level of ridiculous design...what in the world is that shirt and hair(?)

Imo, the problem with Ardyn is not his design but his story didn't get explained well, they fixed it later on with novel and DLCs but not everyone read/played that.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I personally find Adam Jensen from the recent Deus Ex games to be a little bit try-hard design-wise. Although a lot of that might be the performance and the voice acting that I saw in the trailers (I haven't actually played any of those games).
Elias Toufexis just happens to sound exactly like a Deus Ex protagonist

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Sp58AC9_infWvbr6Lij5AnltzBlXvGSPuAcZomhK6AM.jpg

Dahila is some embrassing shit from Xenoblade 2.
I have such a fucking REACTION to this goddamn design.

It's like, I'm lesbian, okay? So there's tons of crappy sexualized designs I actually like (while also being aware that they're trash) and there's also tons of crappy character designs that I can just go 'lol that design is hella dumb'.

But Dahila's design is, just I basically cringe whenever I see it. I get that it was designed by a woman and all but her whole design feels like they were trying to be 'sexy' with it (cause like they obviously were) but they completely missed the sexy mark and instead the design has landed square in the uncanny valley that just makes it so damn uncomfortable for me to really look at it.

Ugh.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly one of the main reasons I can't bring myself to play FFXV. How did we get to this point.

Lookin like your fentanyl dealer cousin from Indiana who stole your bmx bike to sell for parts back in 2002
To be fair, that seems like the exact vibe they were going for with this character.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the Antagonists of Days Gone looks like the Main Character without a beard but he wears his Cappy forwards instead of backwards like Deacon does and i just could never not laugh about this fact.
latest
You were not supposed to take him seriously anyways.

If you go to his room later in the game Deacon would amusingly comment that he knew he was a wannabe gangster.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
Oh my GOD I legitimately hadn't thought about this mess of a character in years. Holy shit. So trashy and awful looking.

I nominate Shalua from FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus for this thread
2cf77b01bead30490cadc238291f1ede.png

BTW, she's not winking in this render; she's missing an eye and doesn't have any eye patch or prosthetic, she just has that eyelid closed permanently, in every scene.
Her outfit is trash but in regards to her missing eye I know someone that lost his right eye and he doesn't use a patch or anything he just got his eyelids sealed. So I don't think it's weird or unusual that she did the same too.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
240px-Seymour.jpg

not the worst offender but is the first time character design really took me out of it.

"okay so lets re make sephiroth... but he's part of a tree race, or something?"

"nomura san that makes no sense. and why is your nose bleeding?"

"shut up, give him braches coming out of his hair. or something"

This. I still like FFX for its story, setting and gameplay, but many of the character designs are ridiculous.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
This is Camila, your big sister from Fire Emblem Fates, but she actually wants to be your mom too. Don't ask, just say hi!I still finished this game on hard, but she went out of my main team extremely fast. I just couldn't look at her or take her seriously. I'm so happy Three Houses toned down on this shit.

It's like, I'm lesbian, okay? So there's tons of crappy sexualized designs I actually like (while also being aware that they're trash) and there's also tons of crappy character designs that I can just go 'lol that design is hella dumb'.

But Dahila's design is, just I basically cringe whenever I see it. I get that it was designed by a woman and all but her whole design feels like they were trying to be 'sexy' with it (cause like they obviously were) but they completely missed the sexy mark and instead the design has landed square in the uncanny valley that just makes it so damn uncomfortable for me to really look at it.

Ugh.
I can't take her unnatural stand or walk. Ass and breasts always out. The first time I saw females run like that was in the new Story games for Digimon of all places. Sad and hilarious at the same time.

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
This is Camila, your big sister from Fire Emblem Fates, but she actually wants to be your mom too. Don't ask, just say hi!I still finished this game on hard, but she went out of my main team extremely fast. I just couldn't look at her or take her seriously. I'm so happy Three Houses toned down on this shit.
Man, as much as it annoyed me, I'm not that principled. Wyvern Knights are always great units.
It's more stupid when you find out
That's her human avatar and she's Black Alphamon 😂
Hah.
I don't think that changes anything besides being a "lol Wut" twist though. That's her only look.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The faction dudes from FF X-2

Even playing the game as kid I thought "Hmm, something doesn't look quite right."

Vt6TSQf.png

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Xenoblade 2: the thread. Character designs (And bad voice acting, and writing) ruin that game.

I'll give a nod to many of the FFXV side characters too.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I nominate basically any design Tetsuya Nomura did after the PS1. It's one thing with these designs being shown extremely stylized. It's another once he was given more and more detail to add nonsensical and incomprehensible elements. It probably got bad in-game with The Bouncer:

bnc-sion2.jpg

You can say that this is nowhere near as offensive as his Kingdom Hearts designs and sure, but this is plenty awful.

Sp58AC9_infWvbr6Lij5AnltzBlXvGSPuAcZomhK6AM.jpg

Dahila is some embrassing shit from Xenoblade 2.

I almost feel like posting this is cheating. It's like if the thread were, "what's the most iconic piece of artwork" and someone posted the Mona Lisa on the first page. There's just so much wrong here. And I can get down with sexualized designs. This is just, jeez, it's grotesque.

Oct 12, 2020

Ugh.
Maybe we look here at the female version of a straight male artist trying to create a sexy male character.