Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
v4-460px-Catch-Pokemon-in-Pokemon-Red_Blue-Step-2-Version-4.jpg

I thought the red orbs on Tentacool's Head were eyes and a mouth. I thought it was some sort of alien skull head. When I actually saw it in the anime, I felt stupid.
To be fair to you, it's a lot cuter if you look at it that way.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I can see the "gentle" Metapod, but my mind always goes for the angry one first. It's kinda difficult to rewire when it's something you've been seeing for the past 20 years.
Yes, exactly. It's the same for me with the D in Disney. I can see it, but I have to force myself to.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
iu

Shadow in FF6 is wearing brown goggles and nobody will convince me otherwise.
I thought when I was younger that he was black and the eyes were his beard, and the blue above his face a bandana.

There had to be a portrait in game that showed him as a ninja but I feel like I had that idea of him the whole playthrough

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, exactly. It's the same for me with the D in Disney. I can see it, but I have to force myself to.
Lol, when I was a kid, whenever we'd go to Disneyland, I'd always stare up at the sign and wonder silently to myself why Disneyland was spelled with a backwards G.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Even with this it's still impossible for me to see Metapod as angry in the official art

No idea how y'all misinterpreted the design all this time lol.

Yeah, on the official Metapod art it's basically impossible for me to see it at an "angry" angle. You guys are nuts.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
These Metapod people are making me feel like I'm in a Berenstein/Berenstain split universe.

roguebubble

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 8, 2018
Only with the remakes did I realize that the male protag of Pokemon RSE was wearing a white hat and hadn't dyed his hair

140px-Emerald_Brendan.png

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Same with Bede! Totally thought he was an old lady until I looked at the official site and it referred to him as a he. I did think it was a bit strange that you had an old lady as a rival but I just can't see him as a teenage boy no matter how hard I try

Birdseeding

Mar 13, 2018
Jot me down as another Angry Metapod interpreter. But I think the Gen I sprites were a lot more ambiguous than the shape above, used in Gen IV onwards.

Blue/Red actively looks like Angry Metapod (this is the front view):
Spr_1b_011.png

The original Green/Red looks more or less like the current one:
Spr_1g_011.png

Whereas Yellow looks entirely different from both:
Spr_1y_011.png

Obviously the character design was under development and took years to settle into the current form. Even some of the official merchandise in the very early years uses the Angry Metapod interpretation:

2913047718568572254.jpg

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
How about some misinterpreted lyrics instead of a character design.

Yoshi's Story for N64. Main theme. Sing it with me, boys, girls and that technicolor rainbow inbetween:

"Eat asshole! Eat asshole! Eat asshole! "

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
You guys are killing me with this Metapod shit. Please.

How about some misinterpreted lyrics instead of a character design.

Yoshi's Story for N64. Main theme. Sing it with me, boys, girls and that technicolor rainbow inbetween:

"Eat asshole! Eat asshole! Eat asshole! "

No, no, it's the airport! The airport!

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
In FE Three Houses, at the loading screen you see Byleth with an animation where he draws his sword (can't find a gif).

What I see:

giphy.gif