NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I'm pretty sure every character creator will still have 10,000 styles of straight hair and maybe 3 (if we're lucky) styles of afrocentric hair.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You'll say, "but what if devs want to tell a specific characters story?" And I'll refer back to the upcoming AC:Odyssey where the names are already determined (Kassandra and Alexios), the story path is already determined, so what would be the harm in letting me change hair style or color? Skin tone?

Even if you wanted to argue that "they have to look Greek!" that shouldn't preclude customization wholesale I would think.

For all the failures of Mass Effect Andromeda, I liked that your character's parents and siblings are rendered to look kinda like your custom designed character. I think Fallout 4 does the same thing.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I just want well-made characters by the game designers, but I suppose if they want to spend time/money on making a character creation option, I won't mind as long as it's stashed away where I won't be bothered by it.

Hollywood Pescado

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Because not every game needs to have a character creator.

Some people just want to jump in the game and play. With a character creator you have to customize your look, your stats, etc. Not everyone wants that.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Not every game needs a character creator. They only work with certain games and certain types.

You need to understand that games are built around characters in many cases, and that these characters are designed using motion capture and actors' likenesses. This allows for the facial animations to be more realistic. Character creators don't allow for that type of quality, and lead to worse immersion and presentation.

Sometimes creating a character is fun, but most of the time it's boring and tedium I can't wait to get past.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The last of us would not have been as good if it had a character creator. Of course it's the exception. Many developers surprise surprise like to be able to control the experience of the player

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the game and how important certain aspects of the character are to the story that is trying to be told. Perhaps the color of the skin is important to the story, like Mafia 3. Perhaps their sex is important, like with Life is Strange (I'd say, at least).

Or sometimes, however, maybe the developers want the character to look a certain set way. Because that's how they want it. We can only respect that decision.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I just want to see more systems with built-in character creation tools and more games making use of them. I always thought Miis and Avatars were seriously underused in games.

Jun 22, 2018
On games like Mass Effect where there is a set character with their story, I will never change anything from their base character model.

It's either default shephard or femshep all the way.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Not every game benefits from letting you customize your character.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
Character creation on FFXV, that would of be another two years of development LuL

Oct 31, 2017
I hate character creation. Give me a design and personality the developers came up with, please.

I don't understand people who want to self-insert in every game they play.

Plus with character creation you won't get amazing cutscenes

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Probably because custom characters can make it very hard for the creatives working on the game to represent the characters as they intend. Frankly 90% of games that involve a character creator feel completely hollow when it comes to the main protagonist. They always end up looking so generic compared to handcrafted designs.

Vivi

Nov 10, 2017
I don't like them. I have straight up quit games where I have to name characters don't get me started on the ones where I have to actually create a character I spend hours in there freaking out and then going online discovering I chose worst class job, abilities and stats etc.