• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alright, let's look at it like this: they have a fairy tale romance. They know it. The show knows it. The audience knows it.

Let's look at the key players involved:

Pam:

p-the-office-jenna-fischer.jpg

Bio:

Born Pamela Morgam Beesly, she has one sister, Penny. Started working at Dunder Mifflin in 1999 as the receptionist. She met her first love, Roy, while attending Valley View High School where they'd eventually enter a long lasting engagement until the man, the myth, the legend Jim Halpert won her heart.

Jim:
Jim_400x400.jpg

Bio:

The man, the myth, the legend, the big tuna, the every man, the guy you want to be, and the guy you will never be Mr James Duncan Halpert. Bored with his boring job as a boring paper salesman, Jim finds ways to make it through the day by tormenting the ACTUAL BULLY OF THE OFFICE DWIGHT K. SCHRUTE and having a very kind, sweet, and heart tugging flirtatious banter with Pam.

Both:

While Pam is engaged to Roy, best person James Duncan Halpert slowly grows attached to her while becoming the reason he stays at the office. They have a flirty and fun relationship where they both start having the feels for one another. Some think Jim was in the wrong for making a move on Pam while she was engaged but she was with an emotional abusive jerk who didn't really care for her. Fair game, feelings are feelings, and Roy was a jerk. Jim eventually confesses his love for Pam because he wanted her to know he felt and then he kissed her. He then departed ways to the Stamford Branch because being near Pam hurts him too much. He eventually dates a nobody and that ends. Parallel to this, Pam is finding herself as a single, female lawyer receptionist. She goes on dates, learns to love art more, and generally grows as a person. She eventually lets Jim (and everybody know since they were all at the beach) that it sucks that Jim ignores her because she really misses their day to day life. Eventually Jim has an opportunity to move to corporate, but he denies that and leaves the nobody to drive back to Scranton where he asks Pam out on a date.

Fast forward through some love dovey stuff: buying a house, marriage, kids, and an awful last season drama, the 2 are stronger than ever and are moving to bigger and better things outside of Dunder Mifflin.

The challenge: can you provide a better example of a OTP on-screen couple as well defined and romanticized as Jim and Pam? I doubt you can because everything else sucks.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
Their relationship is the worst and takes up way too much screentime. I much prefer Andy and April from Parks and Rec. They don't spend years with lame "will they or won't they" melodrama.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
I graduated Valley View High School in 98.

I've never met this Pam you speak of.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sick of seeing boring people project onto to these two extremely boring characters

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what OTP means.

But the main characters in Brooklyn 99 are a better character

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Their relationship is the worst and takes up way too much screentime. I much prefer Andy and April from Parks and Rec. They don't spend years with lame "will they or won't they" melodrama.
I agree. I think the only relationships that don't bring the show (Office) down are Oscar's and, Erin and Gabe (Not Andy, worst character on the show)

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, the Parks and Rec mentions are spot on. Two amazing couples on that show. Hell, even Ron's relationship towards the end is pretty good.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

These two are in a permanent honeymoon phase with no signs of slowing. There is no stronger romance

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It's Garnet from Steven Universe because she is a OTP literally personified

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Wrong. It's FitzSimmons from Agents of Shield. The sacrifices they made to save each other have been pretty amazing. Even after what happened to Fitz in S4, they get married the next season.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
The office is one of my favorite shows but the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that Jim deserved the ass beating he narrowly avoided from Roy, even with the caveat that I agree that Jim and Pam should've been together. Michael and Holly's relationship dynamic/arc was way more heartfelt in my opinion.

Otherwise I'd go with Garnet from Steven Universe.

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No its april and andy or ben and leslie.

I think michael schurs new show's lack good relationships while funny nothing on brooklyn 99 or the good place compare to the office or Parks and rec. Maybe greg daniels brought that part.

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess we just have different opinions about "going for" women in serious relationships.
Totally serious:

Roy is controlling
Roy proposed and doesn't plan or even acknowledge the wedding for a while
Roy doesn't support Pam

It's as much of a relationship as you want it to be, Jim was OK to go in and try. Don't even say otherwise. That's foolish.