Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I think people are using the word sterile to ultimately just say that it's a very clean style. The manga has a roughness to it, a little messy that might give it a very unique appeal. There are a lot of words one can use to describe the anime but "rough" and "messy" definitely ain't any of them at least not visually.

Its this in my case. And I get it, the first time one sees the word sterile, it sounds negative, which is why I made sure to go far more in detail the first time.

But now I'm just repeating myself because its easier to call the buzzword bullshit than to engage in the discussion, haha.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3437b3b9627cc126736026b9e6c1dd6b840f24ac.gifv

YO, the handles moved!

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Let's put it this way. The anime is like a Disney/Pixar movie. It's undeniably high quality and many people like it. On the other hand, some people expected something more akin to Into The Spider-Verse.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
There are somethings that impossible to adapt when switching mediums and a version of CSM that pleases everyone is one of them, if they went the fast paced Trigger style then sure you'd get more comedy and the quick chaotic feel but then you would have a lot of the serious and important moments not translating as well as it did with this adaptation, this adaptation gave a lot of weight to key moments in the manga like Himeno's death and Denji's struggles, all that wouldn't be possible if it the direction some fans wanted it to go and imo the decision they made with the tone and direction both gives us a lot more than it sacrifices but also works better for the story in the long run, and I sure as hell wouldn't call this adaptation sterile since there are a lot of imagery and creative choices with this adaptation

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sterile, when used in the context of describing art, is defined as a lack of creativity and stimulation - lifeless. Maybe the word people are mixing it up with is "clinical" in that it is precise in its execution. Its less stylized and more life-like.

Either way, anime never fully captures a manga's art style to the point of linework like that unless its really simple. Nor can it really emulate the paneling if its used in the way that it is in Chainsaw Man. Choosing realism and a filmic style is a perfect fit for an animated adaptation of the manga which is cinematic in its nature. I think they have room to further improve on the filmic style it has adopted for sure though, more color and contrast is something I keep repeating. I really like the way Fujimoto uses light and shadow and its something I hope they capture better in future episodes. There were episodes that did mostly do that but some where it didn't so I hope for more consistency there.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed that the anime does a much better job in selling Himeno's presence in particular within the show. The manga pacing is so rapid that it kind of feels like she comes and goes in the context of the plot, but I think Season 1 has done a great job making the characters more compelling overall and Himeno wound up being a notable standout for me. I reckon that a lot of these directional choices will pay off in the future.

Let's put it this way. The anime is like a Disney/Pixar movie. It's undeniably high quality and many people like it. On the other hand, some people expected something more akin to Into The Spider-Verse.

I'm trying to wrap my head around using this as an analogy and I just can't.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's no way to please everyone. Still going through the anime but it's clearly a labor of love.

I did go through a re-read of the manga recently and was surprised how much abstraction there was in the action throughout. You're caught so much in the pacing that you don't necessarily notice that much of the panels are actually pretty simple. Of course, do this in an anime and you get bashed by the people that want sakuga perfection. It's a literal no-win, the people bitching about it aren't likely to generate a cent of revenue anyway, so I'm glad they just got a style for the anime and apparently stuck to it.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
My only potential issue with the unique ED's is if the effort to result ratio gets skewed. Assuming Chainsaw Man gets a full adaptation (and it's not even over) we're probably looking at at least 36 episode for Part 1 alone. If they can maintain 36 uniquely animated and performed ED's then that would be amazing but it does seem like it could potentially be a lot of effort for only some payoff. I ultimately would never want the main production to suffer for it.

Jun 22, 2019
What .. ? the anime is just adding a scene that was missing from the manga. You're literally saying that Makima went to meet the yakuza to get the names of Sawatari's associates and did... nothing ?

No, I'm not literally saying that; I assume she either took care of the leftovers offscreen post-raid or passed that task over for other people to handle.

It would also be weird for Makima to kill a bunch of people in the building that was raided cause one of the reasons for the raid was to demonstrate that Special Division 4 was capable of handling such tasks.

Of course she did something, the manga doesn't show a single yakuza left in the building for a reason, most likely because Makima already killed most of them.
It's not a pointless addition by the anime.

You are talking about the building that was raided, right? Cause during the ball-kicking tournament, we literally see a bunch of live yakuza being taken away by the fuzz in the top panel of this page.
0038-012.png

Feb 1, 2018
Texas
My only potential issue with the unique ED's is if the effort to result ratio gets skewed. Assuming Chainsaw Man gets a full adaptation (and it's not even over) we're probably looking at at least 36 episode for Part 1 alone. If they can maintain 36 uniquely animated and performed ED's then that would be amazing but it does seem like it could potentially be a lot of effort for only some payoff. I ultimately would never want the main production to suffer for it.
The EDs are handled by entirely different production teams. It doesn't effect the anime's production at all.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why anyone would call chromatic aberration "clean/sterile".

Gamers still hate that, right?

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to wrap my head around using this as an analogy and I just can't.

I think one way to read that is that the anime is produced with the "status quo" of production techniques, rather than looking like Promare I guess?

The issue with that is the the manga does not have material that suggest a different approach than this. This anime already takes a lot more liberties by adding cinematic style shots akin to live action while the panelling of the original work never strays always from serviceable. The manga is certainly not one of those comics where you have to read two pages in a spiral or something like that. Flashy is not what the manga wants as far as I can tell.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
No, I'm not literally saying that; I assume she either took care of the leftovers offscreen post-raid or passed that task over for other people to handle.

It would also be weird for Makima to kill a bunch of people in the building that was raided cause one of the reasons for the raid was to demonstrate that Special Division 4 was capable of handling such tasks.
I mean it's also the reason why Makima needed the names of Sawatari's associates : to make the operation a guaranteed success no matter what happened inside. Makima only cares about the result. So even if it's not shown in the manga it's still strongly implied that Makima helped during the assault and probably explain why they didn't faced any yakuzas resistance inside the building.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
There are somethings that impossible to adapt when switching mediums and a version of CSM that pleases everyone is one of them, if they went the fast paced Trigger style then sure you'd get more comedy and the quick chaotic feel but then you would have a lot of the serious and important moments not translating as well as it did with this adaptation, this adaptation gave a lot of weight to key moments in the manga like Himeno's death and Denji's struggles, all that wouldn't be possible if it the direction some fans wanted it to go and imo the decision they made with the tone and direction both gives us a lot more than it sacrifices but also works better for the story in the long run, and I sure as hell wouldn't call this adaptation sterile since there are a lot of imagery and creative choices with this adaptation

Nothing i would have preferred would have prevented the quieter moments from being given the amount of love they did here.

Mob Psycho 100 literally ran in the same season, please stop pretending its impossible.

But whatever, if all that's going to happen is nitpicking over the word sterile, I'll drop it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think one way to read that is that the anime is produced with the "status quo" of production techniques, rather than looking like Promare I guess?

The issue with that is the the manga does not have material that suggest a different approach than this. This anime already takes a lot more liberties by adding cinematic style shots akin to live action while the panelling of the original work never strays always from serviceable. The manga is certainly not one of those comics where you have to read two pages in a spiral or something like that. Flashy is not what the manga wants as far as I can tell.
I will go to bat for Fujimoto's paneling but I'll agree in the sense that the original manga was never really that exceptional in terms of choreographed sequences and some more rudimentary artistry. Fujimoto admits that he's not that great at drawing, most of his strengths lie in his clever way of framing scenes so he masks a lot of his shortcomings; and while Chainsaw Man does end up having some really stellar single frames of illustration, I've never thought of the series that much when it comes to the action because as you say, it's not actually that flashy of a manga. Most of the action is generally obscured by lots of viscera, like a gorey b-horror film.

I think most of the parts of the manga that stick in mind as far as paneling is concerned is usually the scenes that don't have any action in it, and are only there for specific character moments or moods, which I found the anime managed to focus exceptionally in its own way. I also find myself co-signing with the Super Eyepatch Wolf's latest video in terms of how the anime also comes up with clever ways to build onto the action than what was in the manga. Chainsaw Man as an action hero predominantly sticks out because he's loud, brazen and chaotic, so even though I knew Mappa were putting their all into this adaptation, I never quite expected that the Katana Man battle would be filled with so much replayable kickass choreography.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Eh I don't know about that. I'm not a manga reader so maybe pacing changes later in the story, but so far they adapted nearly 40 chapters out of 97. And that's considering the pacing of the anime is extremely slow. I feel like a 16 episodes season 2 is going to be enough to complete Part 1.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My partner was sad that season 1 is already over so I thought this morning that I'd hand her the manga and tell her to get to reading

I go to my shelf and... Volume 5 is missing 🤔 lmfaoo she def beat me to it

Jun 22, 2019
I mean it's also the reason why Makima needed the names of Sawatari's associates : to make the operation a guaranteed success no matter what happened inside. Makima only cares about the result. So even if it's not shown in the manga it's still strongly implied that Makima helped during the assault and probably explain why they didn't faced any yakuzas resistance inside the building.

Aki and Angel had one yakuza ambush them, and Katana Man had two grunts alongside him, so I don't know why you're saying they faced no yakuza resistance. You were also wrong about no yakuza being left in the building as I showed in my prior post; arresting them was actually the intended outcome. That's also why Aki had Angel drag the one that ambushed them on the ground floor outside - so that he wouldn't die from the zombies. The goal was never indiscriminate slaughter for this operation, so Makima going out of her way to do just that continues to make no sense on multiple levels. Katana Man wanted to personally get Denji while Sawatari specifically went to kill Aki, so I'm not sure why you think that a bunch of yakuza grunts would have been sent to the meatgrinder beforehand with the only explanation being that Makima must have killed them.

Maybe I missed it, but I have never seen people assume Makima merc'd any of the humans in the raided building around the time that volume came out. Only after episode 11 did I start seeing this train of thought.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The endings add a lot of personality and sometimes simple character moments that give the show a lot of heart. The last one was really good in that respect. I don't think any of them are wasted personally.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Aki and Angel had one yakuza ambush them, and Katana Man had two grunts alongside him, so I don't know why you're saying they faced no yakuza resistance. You were also wrong about no yakuza being left in the building as I showed in my prior post. Katana Man wanted to personally get Denji while Sawatari specifically went to kill Aki, so I'm not sure why you think that a bunch of yakuza grunts would have been sent to the meatgrinder beforehand with the only explanation being that Makima killed them.

Maybe I missed it, but I have never seen people assume Makima merc'd most of the humans in the raided building around the time that volume came out. Only after episode 11 did I see this train of thought.
It's hardly what I call a resistance. The anime is showing an actual resistance with yakuzas armed with guns defending the building, ambushing Aki etc. The manga doesn't. So no the addition of that scene isn't pointless because it doesn't make sense for the yakuzas to not appears during the operation. And guns are a pretty big deal in the CSM universe so it's not like the yakuzas are sent to the "meatgrinder". Finally it gives a better context of that scene with Makima meeting the yakuza, because otherwise it's actually just a pointless "Makima is scary guys" scene that goes nowhere.

If anything the scene addition is a good example of anime fixing the manga.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
The endings add a lot of personality and sometimes simple character moments that give the show a lot of heart. The last one was really good in that respect. I don't think any of them are wasted personally.
I don't think any of them are useless either. My concern was eventually hitting a sort of diminishing returns assuming they keep this up for multiple seasons however since MAPPA don't actually produce the ED's themselves that is no longer a concern of mine.

Jun 22, 2019
It's hardly what I call a resistance. The anime is showing an actual resistance with yakuzas armed with guns defending the building, ambushing Aki etc. The manga doesn't. So no the addition of that scene isn't pointless because it doesn't make sense for the yakuzas to not appears during the operation. And guns are a pretty big deal in the CSM universe so it's not like the yakuzas are sent to the "meatgrinder". Finally it gives a better context of that scene with Makima meeting the yakuza, because otherwise it's actually just a pointless "Makima is scary guys" scene that goes nowhere.

If anything the scene addition is a good example of anime fixing the manga.

The anime literally added just the 4 guys. Apparently an extra 4 guys is all it takes for it to go from "hardly a resistance" to "an actual resistance" for you...? Dude, I feel like you're not even arguing in good faith here.

And no, that scene shows Makima getting intel so that the other people who worked with Sawatari who are not in the building (or if any of those flee during the raid) can still be found and caught, it directly shows Makima using her powers at close range for the first time, and it has Makima's views on "necessary evil." Saying Makima's visit to the yakuza boss serves no purpose unless she kills a bunch of people in the raided building afterward is just a lol-worthy statement.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of them are useless either. My concern was eventually hitting a sort of diminishing returns assuming they keep this up for multiple seasons however since MAPPA don't actually produce the ED's themselves that is no longer a concern of mine.
Even if they did I don't think it would be a concern. It's simply a part of the production they're making, just because it exists doesn't inherently mean it will detract from the rest nor that they will run out of ideas and start hitting diminishing returns.

I trust in their creativity, the show as whole has been great so far.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I'm a bad person I skipped all the ED..

I did watch the opening every single time though which is rare
I usually skip OPs unless it's something I really love like Attack on Titan, but I watched this every week just to enjoy Denji and Power dancing at the end of it lmao.

Oct 29, 2017
I will go to bat for Fujimoto's paneling but I'll agree in the sense that the original manga was never really that exceptional in terms of choreographed sequences and some more rudimentary artistry. Fujimoto admits that he's not that great at drawing, most of his strengths lie in his clever way of framing scenes so he masks a lot of his shortcomings; and while Chainsaw Man does end up having some really stellar single frames of illustration, I've never thought of the series that much when it comes to the action because as you say, it's not actually that flashy of a manga. Most of the action is generally obscured by lots of viscera, like a gorey b-horror film.

I think most of the parts of the manga that stick in mind as far as paneling is concerned is usually the scenes that don't have any action in it, and are only there for specific character moments or moods, which I found the anime managed to focus exceptionally in its own way. I also find myself co-signing with the Super Eyepatch Wolf's latest video in terms of how the anime also comes up with clever ways to build onto the action than what was in the manga. Chainsaw Man as an action hero predominantly sticks out because he's loud, brazen and chaotic, so even though I knew Mappa were putting their all into this adaptation, I never quite expected that the Katana Man battle would be filled with so much replayable kickass choreography.
Sorry I didn't meant to use "serviceable", what I meant to say was "standard" or at least not too crazy that it brings attention to itself like some other cases do.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
The anime literally added just the 4 guys. Apparently an extra 4 guys is all it takes for it to go from "hardly a resistance" to "an actual resistance" for you...? Dude, I feel like you're not even arguing in good faith here.

And no, that scene shows Makima getting intel so that the other people who worked with Sawatari who are not in the building (or if any of those flee during the raid) can still be found and caught, it directly shows Makima using her powers at close range for the first time, and it has Makima's views on "necessary evil." Saying Makima's visit to the yakuza boss serves no purpose unless she kills a bunch of people in the raided building afterward is just a lol-worthy statement.
I'm the one arguing in bad faith here when you're literally arguing a scene is bad and pointless because it's not in the manga, even though the scene make perfect sense in the context of the anime events (hint : you're the only one complaining about it), you're twisting my words and now you're making shit up about Makima's motivation. Ok.

Jun 22, 2019
I'm the one arguing in bad faith here when you're literally arguing a scene is bad and pointless because it's not in the manga, even though the scene make perfect sense in the context of the anime events (hint : you're the only one complaining about it), you're twisting my words and now you're making shit up about Makima's motivation. Ok.

If you look elsewhere on the internet, I'm hardly the only one pointing out that anime-only scene makes no sense. I've also already explained how the scene doesn't make sense multiple times and you've continued to ignore every point I make (just like you're now ignoring that an additional 4 guys constituted "an actual resistance" to you one post ago). So yeah it very much feels like you're arguing in bad faith. 🤷

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
If you look elsewhere on the internet, I'm hardly the only one pointing out that anime-only scene makes no sense. I've also already explained how the scene doesn't make sense multiple times and you've continued to ignore every point I make (just like you're now ignoring that an additional 4 guys constituted "an actual resistance" to you one post ago). So yeah it very much feels like you're arguing in bad faith. 🤷
Okay let's see the point you made :
I think anime viewers assumed Sawatari got a nosebleed from Makima because she was shown killing those people in the scene right before. Which makes the pointless scene just downright bad, as now viewers come away thinking that people with devil contracts can resist Makima's squish technique. Which just makes Makima seem way less threatening if it were the case.
Anime viewers already assumed contracts holder were immune to Makima's power after episode 8 when, you know, Makima killed everyone except these two. Now that I think about it, if you're a manga reader you're probably spoiling here. And no I don't think it makes Makima less threatening if she's not able to easily kill people who have contract with the most powerful devil out there. Hell maybe it's the reason why the fight against the Gun Devil is so important for her, because her power can't reach it.
Also even if we ignore the manga, why would Makima not attempt to kill Sawatari first? Why kill random grunts before trying to kill the ringleader Sawatari? And why stop trying to kill Sawatari after the nosebleed if the first attempt failed? Why not continue trying to kill her? Not to mention after Aki sees the guys with guns bleed out and die, Makima walks out of that yakuza house looking all smug (indicating in this anime-only scene that Makima was responsible) suggesting she was done providing aid. Or what, like after that, she walked back in the house to use whoever was still alive (assuming she even used the yakuza as sacrifices the same way as when she popped people) because she somehow forgot about the ringleader?
Maybe she's not looking to kill her, just to weakened her. Maybe she tried to kill her but failed. Maybe she didn't want to kill her in front of Aki because I'm sure the point of the operation was to capture her and Katana guy. Or maybe Makima isn't even involved in her nose bleeding but I doubt that considering Sawatari make a surprised face (even in the manga panel).
Overall I think the scene make plenty of sense.
Also, to be honest, I have more trust in the studio working closely with the author of the manga than I have in you.
(just like you're now ignoring that an additional 4 guys constituted "an actual resistance" to you one post ago)
Not sure why you keep insisting on that like it's a gotcha or something because it just highlight your total lack of understanding . It doesn't matter if they're 4 (it's 5 actually), 10 or 20, what matters is showing the yakuza actually fighting back and defending the building and Makima doing everything necessary for the success of the operation. It's not pointless and it fits with her character and the events. It also implies that yakuza are not hiding and are fighting off-screen and Makima is directly involved in the operation. In the manga Aki goes straight from the basement to fighting Sawatari.

Edit : oh but you're actually a manga reader so now it makes sense

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a casual anime fan. Meaning I watch less than one new anime per year on average. Chainsaw Man really hooked me. Got off to a rough start with the cringey boob stuff, but once that got resolved I was in. Also some of the highest quality animation work I've ever seen in a show.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to whatever is going to come. Wether it's a movie or a second season.
Very pleased with the adaption, gonna watch it all over again when I have the time. Music, Animation, everything - chefs kiss. I can only do some nitpicking. On the other hand, some scenes and stuff from the manga have been adapted above my expectations (especially the appearance of the Ghost Devil and his fight against Samurai Sword, + some slice of life moments). I'm thankful for what Mappa has given us with this.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
In hindsight, how were they able to knock out Kobeni so easily in the hotel if she's that nice with a knife every episode after. Would've been interesting to foreshadow her skills a bit more when she tried to kill Denji.
They did, but it was really subtle:

Pt6nuD6.gif

Not to mention Himeno saying that she was skilled but timid (in contrast with Arai that is brave but unskilled)