Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The animation on the Spider devil, really good stuff.

Angel should've been more androgynous sounding but Violence was perfect. Love that they finally let one of the devils - Future - ham it up too.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
So Aki is good to use his sword so long as he doesn't have the intent to use the curse powers or something? Had he used it without the curse function before today's episode? Busting out Ghost on my dude was a low blow lol.

Might switch to manga after next week. Expecting an epic fight with sword head dude, fingers crossed.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you posting about future manga points in the anime thread?

This was something they changed in the anime, he's just pointing out a difference in timing of her appearance.

So Aki is good to use his sword so long as he doesn't have the intent to use the curse powers or something? Had he used it without the curse function before today's episode? Busting out Ghost on my dude was a low blow lol.

Might switch to manga after next week. Expecting an epic fight with sword head dude, fingers crossed.

This appears to be just a regular katana. The curse devil sword they call a "nail" and looks different.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I was confused about the sword as well. Thanks for clearing that up.

That Future Devil's line was whatever to me.

The REAL question is: Did Aki intend to just call out to Denji and Power or did the localization team just want to say "Fuck Kobeni. She doesn't count". The three were together and what he said was more like "You guys" in Japanese to that group but it's "You two" in the sub.
Now that you mention it, you're right. English and spanish translation translated it as "You two", while german and french went with "You three". Is the spanish version using the english one as a base? Anyways, should have just went with the literal "You guys".

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

Hes using a different sword. Notice its a standard katana and not a nail.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Ah can't say I paid that much attention to what his "nail" actually looked like, thank you.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ah can't say I paid that much attention to what his "nail" actually looked like, thank you.
It's an easy thing to miss. I don't think I realized it was s different sword while reading the manga the first time either.
This is how the curse sword looks like
s-l1600.jpg

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
According to the wiki, the word in Japanese that refers to the Violence Fiend means something more like "gang violence", so he doesn't really represent the fear of all violence, just a specific kind.

Just something that kinda gets lost in translation I guess.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
According to the wiki, the word in Japanese that refers to the Violence Fiend means something more like "gang violence", so he doesn't really represent the fear of all violence, just a specific kind.

Interesting, would maybe have been smoother to name him Gang Devil?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Why'd they even put Kobeni in that particular background if "omaera" was explicitly not going to include her lol. Seems like a silly anime change that the subs "fixed" in terms of possible confusion.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017

They've got it backwards. The Japanese name for the devil is just the standard word for violence, violent behavior, acts of violence, etc in Japanese (bōryoku). A common word for gangs and yakuza (bōryokudan) comes from that, not the other way around.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
They've got it backwards. The Japanese name for the devil is just the standard word for violence, violent behavior, acts of violence, etc in Japanese (bōryoku). A common word for gangs and yakuza (bōryokudan) comes from that, not the other way around.

Oh interesting. And here i thought Fandom wikis were always correct lol

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
oh wow they actually changed the subtitles on Crunchyroll for everyone's favorite controversial line lol.

lscHsjd.png

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Good on the english translators for listening to the criticism. Translators should do just that. Translate. Not trying to make dialogue funnier or something. This is, after all, not a Nintendo game.
It was annoying seeing all those comments joking about something that the future devil hadn't even said.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I just noticed it was different doing a group watch with friends lol. I really didn't mind it but I guess if it gives people the wrong idea it's better off being changed

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
Order and timing of appearance can signify the importance of a character's role so I can see why people wouldn't want to know that it was different in the source material.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
oh wow they actually changed the subtitles on Crunchyroll for everyone's favorite controversial line lol.

lscHsjd.png

Why the sarcasm?. They made a mistake and they corrected it, isn't that a good thing?.

But, then again, I'm a manga reader so I completely understand why they took the time to rectify the translation.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Decent change. The cursing and italics here maintains the extra-ness of the devil, but emphasizes that it's going to be terrible and not some bombastic rambo thing. Happy middle ground between the literal translation and what they had previously.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Was that what people took from it?
Aki is making a deal with a literal Devil, who's straight up laughing in his face and people thought it would be a good thing?
The implication is he's going to die, regardless. That's... not a good thing, no matter how you slice it. The difference is the how. One made it seem like it'd be entertaining not from how terrible it would be, but how crazy it would be.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? Was that what people took from it?
Aki is making a deal with a literal Devil, who's straight up laughing in his face and people thought it would be a good thing?
Dying in say, a bombastic explosion of bullets "fucking rules", but isn't a good thing. Dying a heroic death saving someone can fucking rule, but isn't the same as what the Japanese is saying. Or, it could just mean his death is very epic or something. It's pretty open-ended, because "rules" is in the eye of the beholder. "Fucking worst" conjures up images of a meaningless death, a pathetic death, or maybe a highly tragic death that leads to more deaths or something.

And there's some gravity to this demon that isn't bothered by anything getting kind of serious when he says it's going to be the worst. "Fucking rules" isn't a good thing, but it isn't the same tone or direction that apparently the manga wanted to take.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
People are making a bigger deal out of the translation that it needs to be , can't believe people are still talking about it…

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are making a bigger deal out of the translation that it needs to be , can't believe people are still talking about it…
Yeeaaahhh. In the end, the scene communicated what the Future Devil is about so...

Also, even I'm starting to think manga readers are taking over this thread.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The good news is idk which manga people to believe, the ones that think it is a big deal or the ones that don't. And I'm not going to think about it any more than that. But yeah, every anime thread. It's shameless.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Some animations in this series are so good and realistic that make me think they use rotoscopic techniques for it!

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This is only for a specific service + Nico Nico. So no Netflix, Amazon, etc streaming services. It was either TV only in Japan or exclusive to one of those other services is my guess.

edit: For people curious, I found this market share split between streaming services in Japan from late 2021

AbemaTV and Niconico (which that chart from earlier is from) account for 19% of that market as of Aug 2021 and some Anime might be exclusive to other services or feature on multiple services, etc.

Last edited:

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This is only for a specific service + Nico Nico. So no Netflix, Amazon, etc streaming services. It was either TV only in Japan or exclusive to one of those other services is my guess.

edit: For people curious, I found this market share split between streaming services in Japan from late 2021

AbemaTV and Niconico (which that chart from earlier is from) account for 19% of that market as of Aug 2021 and some Anime might be exclusive to other services or feature on multiple services, etc.
Phew! Really hope it does well on other services then. Or tv.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If that's in response to the Power dancing gif, there actually is a credit in the ED for "motion capture dancer" lol
There were some other scenes in my mind before entering this thread, but this dancing is really interesting too and didn't know that about it! Thanks for explanation.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

A and SVOD?

Also, Amazon is the biggest player there?