• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Via TechRadar

When is CES 2020?
If you're going by the official dates, CES 2020 runs from Tuesday, January 7 through Friday, January 10, 2020.

CES 2020 Keynotes
Toward the end of November, the CTA released the full schedule of announced CES keynotes and conferences, listed below for your convenience:

Sunday, January 5 2020
Monday, January 6 2020
AMD
We're fully expecting AMD to come out with a line of high-end GPUs next year - maybe even as early as CES 2020. In past years, AMD has taken to the stage on Monday to deliver a keynote, and could potentially do the same this year. Last year AMD showed off its first ever 7-nanometer GPU, the Radeon VII, at CES 2019, so expect big things this year.

Intel
Last year was a big show for the chip maker. The company came out guns blazing at its CES 2019 keynote, announcing the first 10nm Ice Lake processors based on its Sunny Cove architecture – and even showing the chip powering a running laptop.

The new chips aim to bolster modern PC performance, while Intel's new Project Athena initiative hopes to push mobile computing to the next era with thinner and lighter hardware across industry partners like Huawei, Asus, and Lenovo.

Intel also announced six more 9th-gen processors, ranging from Core i3 to Core i9, making it one of the biggest launches yet for the company.

This year could be the year that company debuts its long-rumored discrete GPU which we saw a mockup of at GDC 2019 earlier this year, or Intel could use the congregation of journalists to announce new 10nm desktop CPUs now that 10nm mobile chips are out on the market.

Nvidia
Now that it's been unveiled to the public, the new Nvidia Shield is all but guaranteed to make an appearance at CES this year.

Last year Nvidia revealed its GeForce RTX Mobility graphics cards at CES 2019, alongside the RTX 2080 and other cards for gaming laptops. Will CES 2020 bring more of the same? We'll just have to wait to find out.

Sony
Sony didn't have a ton of new products to show off last year, but did bring its new Master Series Z9G TV to the show and debuted its new 360 Reality Audio format. We'll likely see more of the latter this year as well as a few new TVs in the 950, 850, Z- and A-Series lineups plus some new 2.1 soundbars with Dolby Atmos.

Outside of the AV space, Sony will probably tease some PS5 news ahead of its official debut and talk up its gaming peripherals like the PlayStation VR. A full debut of the new console seems unlikely, especially considering the rough history Sony consoles have with CES, but we wouldn't be surprised if it at least gets a mention during Sony's Monday evening keynote.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Give me a mid-range 4k TV with HDMI 2.1, VRR, Native 120 Hz, Dolby Vision and HDR10, and low latency for gaming. Papa wants to buy his first 4k TV for the new consoles!

Jun 23, 2019
So what TVs are we looking at Era? I got a 55" TCL 4K back in April 2018 and I keep hearing 2020 is the year to upgrade.

Oct 25, 2017
AMD:
They're going to talk about Threadripper 3990X. All the important Zen 3 stuff got 'leaked' in October anyway.

Intel:
The 665p M.2 Optane drive is coming. Comet Lake 10 core Desktop part is on track to disappoint. Laptops...zzzzzzz.

Nvidia:
They won't talk about new GPUs until GTC, and those will be for professionals only. Anything else is deeplearningAIcars...zzzzzzzz.

Sony:
PS5 won't get mentioned at all.

VR Ramblings-

What I want to see, but know won't happen:
Somebody talk about 802.11ay and why its taking until the end of 2020 get approved, please! I need a wireless kit to show up for literally any Steam VR compatible headset.

What will probably show up:
802.11ax/wifi 6 cellphone tier headsets. Eh.

Cool News that happened last year that seems to have dissipated:
Where are the lightfield screens at?!?!

Left Field:
Samsung shows up with a Steam VR compatible headset, but it doesn't use Steam VR Base Station 2.0 tracking.

What will absolutely show up:
Pimax. They keep on announcing new shit, to the befuddlement of literally everybody. Meet the Artisan 140 degree 3200x1440 120hz headset.

Last edited:

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Hoping for some oled advancement this year but my expectations are low. Doubt there will be any game stuff, ces is not the place to talk about such stuff.

Would be cool to see microled get a tv line but with no news of manufacturing advancement it's likely still a pipe dream.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Bring on next gen AMD GPUs. Seriously, I legit hope they really up their game and become a real direct threat in the PC market to Nvidia.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see what OLEDs LG announces, Sony's next slate of TVs, TCLs new top tier line and whatever projectors are announced

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in seeing if 2020 has an answer for the OLED burn in problem. If not a fix for the burn in then something with comparable visual quality using other tech.

Baybob

Oct 4, 2019
Never gonna happen but I would love to see where they are going to take the tegra, possibly for the switch 2 in a few years. But I don't expect to see anything.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I want to see AMD's new GPUs. I want to build a new PC next year, but I don't want to buy a video card that is worse than the PS5 and Xbox Series X. I hope AMD has some reasonably priced performant ray tracing GPUs.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to the next gen LG OLEDs. May be selling by B7 this time next year for a C10. Gimme that next gen panel for next gen consoles.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
AMD:
They're going to talk about Threadripper 3990X. All the important Zen 3 stuff got 'leaked' in October anyway.

Intel:
The 665p M.2 Optane drive is coming. Comet Lake 10 core Desktop part is on track to disappoint. Laptops...zzzzzzz.

Nvidia:
They won't talk about new GPUs until GTC, and those will be for professionals only. Anything else is deeplearningAIcars...zzzzzzzz.

Sony:
PS5 won't get mentioned at all.

VR Ramblings-

What I want to see, but know won't happen:
Somebody talk about 802.11ay and why its taking until the end of 2020 get approved, please! I need a wireless kit to show up for literally any Steam VR compatible headset.

What will probably show up:
802.11ax/wifi 6 cellphone tier headsets. Eh.

Cool News that happened last year that seems to have dissipated:
Where are the lightfield screens at?!?!

Left Field:
Samsung shows up with a Steam VR compatible headset, but it doesn't use Steam VR Base Station 2.0 tracking.

What will absolutely show up:
Pimax. They keep on announcing new shit, to the befuddlement of literally everybody. Meet the Artisan 140 degree 3200x1440 120hz headset.

802.11ay got pushed again? It's like a game at this point. Date closing in? Okay, we've teased them long enough. Push it some more:(

Your Samsung idea is interesting because I've thought the same. They've been rumored to have a couple HMDs in the works for a while. But for what? Nothing makes much sense. MS hasn't shown any interest in expanding WMR. Going it alone is a path to nowhere. But Cosmos showed you can release a SteamVR HMD that's computer vision focused (awful HTC execution aside). It would be an interesting tactic if they tried coming out with a premium SteamVR HMD that was computer vision focused.

Oct 25, 2017
802.11ay got pushed again? It's like a game at this point. Date closing in? Okay, we've teased them long enough. Push it some more:(

Your Samsung idea is interesting because I've thought the same. They've been rumored to have a couple HMDs in the works for a while. But for what? Nothing makes much sense. MS hasn't shown any interest in expanding WMR. Going it alone is a path to nowhere. But Cosmos showed you can release a SteamVR HMD that's computer vision focused (awful HTC execution aside). It would be an interesting tactic if they tried coming out with a premium SteamVR HMD that was computer vision focused.
http://www.ieee802.org/11/Reports/tgay_update.htm
Last summer it was March 2020. Then in July it got pushed to September 2020. Now its December 2020. It keeps happening, the ride never ends.

There were some Samsung rumors recently, but nothing super concrete. Now that both Oculus/Facebook and Valve have done their parts lighting a fire under VR's ass in the recent weeks, I think we're going to see some bigger players show up to at least paper launch something, like how HTC did Cosmos last year. Some time tables somewhere hopefully got pulled forward, crossing my fingers.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
we can kinda see a hint at that with their recent Orin announcement. ARM Hercules CPU with Nvidia's "next gen gpu architecture" and 200GB/s memory bandwidth
It's for AI cars though.. but let's just say they somehow do. it's supposedly has 4x the more performance per watt as the Xavier for 200, TOPs. It's somewhere between 60-70 watts.

Just ballparking (making big assumptions)
If regular Xavier is 1.3 TFLOPs at 30 watts and Orion is 1.3x4x2= 10.4 TFLOPs at 65 watts, then maybe we could see a smaller version of Orion at
1.7 TFLOPs GPU at 11 watts. 65 watta/6= 10.8 watts. 10.6/6= 1.7 TFLOPs. Seems pretty crazy actually if it's on a 7nm EUV if that's on paper GPU TFLOPs.

1.7 TFLOPs is going to be well ahead of PS4 base specs, but still far below next gen. We'll likely get GDDR5 Ram with thst. I don't think we'll get 200GB/s bandwidth. Probably half of that at 100 GB/s, which is totally fine for running PS4 games.

The CPU is supposed to be better than ARM A77.

Would totally be awesome if Nintendo releases the hybrid of this in 2021 and then in 2022 the docked version at full power. But again, I have doubts since it's designed for AI machine learning. But maybe this could still give us an idea of the power of ampere technology anyway.

Dunno if that counts on paper specs, caise Orion is two generations ahead of Xavier and should be significantly more powerful per flop, architecture wise.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's for AI cars though.. but let's just say they somehow do. it's supposedly has 4x the more performance per watt as the Xavier for 200, TOPs. It's somewhere between 60-70 watts.

Just ballparking (making big assumptions)
If regular Xavier is 1.3 TFLOPs at 30 watts and Orion is 1.3x4x2= 10.4 TFLOPs at 65 watts, then maybe we could see a smaller version of Orion at
1.7 TFLOPs GPU at 11 watts. 65 watta/6= 10.8 watts. 10.6/6= 1.7 TFLOPs. Seems pretty crazy actually if it's on a 7nm EUV if that's on paper GPU TFLOPs.

1.7 TFLOPs is going to be well ahead of PS4 base specs, but still far below next gen. We'll likely get GDDR5 Ram with thst. I don't think we'll get 200GB/s bandwidth. Probably half of that at 100 GB/s, which is totally fine for running PS4 games.

The CPU is supposed to be better than ARM A77.

Would totally be awesome if Nintendo releases the hybrid of this in 2021 and then in 2022 the docked version at full power. But again, I have doubts since it's designed for AI machine learning. But maybe this could still give us an idea of the power of ampere technology anyway.

Dunno if that counts on paper specs, caise Orion is two generations ahead of Xavier and should be significantly more powerful per flop, architecture wise.
hence why I said it's a hint. this thing is the physical size of a 2080TI. but some important things to take from this is that they're ditching their internal design for generic ARM cores (albeit ARM's A77 successor) and their wording implies they will be using Ampere rather than something like Hopper. Anandtech thinks the ram bandwidth will mean it's using some very wide LPDDR5 bus to achieve that. aside from whatever hardware might be implemented for AI and self-driving, this is probably closer to what a consumer Tegra will be than Xavier was. no custom cpu cores, no non-consumer gpu arch. just scale down (8 cpu cores instead of 12, 1024 instead of however many is in this, cut the bus in half, etc) and you have something resembling a new Shield

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Is it finally time to talk about HDMI 2.1 AVRs....?
I've been holding out on updating stuff in my living room until my audio receiver that connects the whole darn thing is capable of being reasonably future-proof.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Fingers crossed for Tom Hanks shitting all over Sony on their own stage.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'm hoping for widespread mainstream adoption of native HDMI 2.1 across most TV manufacturers line ups as well as announcements of actual HDMI 2.1 devices.

I would also like to see LG introduce an alpha 10 chipset with additional features, maybe the BFI that was cut from 2019 models.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the three TV manufacturers you should keep your eye on for those specs is TCL, Hisense, and Vizio. They make really good tv's and are usually way less expensive than Samsung or Sony.
I've been impressed with how TCl is rising. They remind me of Samsung when Samsung was just starting out. I'm hoping Vizio has something because I believe they are one of the few that support both Dolby Vision and HDR 10.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Every year I expect CES to finally give us a decently priced good 1440p 144Hz HDR monitor that doesn't cost a bazillion dollars and it never happens. Anybody know of any rumors or announcements to get my hopes up?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Looking forward to see what AMD brings. I'm looking for a GPU right now and I already skipped the RX 5500 after reading the dissapointing reviews so hoping for some GPU megaton announcements.