• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
prior to dynamax, there was no reason to think Game Freak would toss them aside. as soon as gigantamaxing was revealed, it wasn't too crazy to believe that Megas would have been repurposed. as I said, making new designs and not using them was a weird concept and yet they did it.

I get wanting to have a different battle mechanic, but the asset usage was just weird there
The concept between Gigantamax is different to the one behind Mega Evolution so why would they reuse the forms.

Sorry but this is an odd complaint

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The concept between Gigantamax is different to the one behind Mega Evolution so why would they reuse the forms.

Sorry but this is an odd complaint
because the designs for some of the pokemon were popular. they still sell Mega Lucario plushies and shit. gigantamaxes were higher powered forms of pokemon, similar to megas so it's not like it's a crazy stretch. besides trying to use lore to justify asset reuse or lack thereof is just dumb to me. but I'll argue that lore can get in the say of a lot of things with pokemon

and it's less of a complaint and more of me trying to find justification of GF removing yet another thing. removing megas (the gameplay mechanic) for dynamax (the gameplay mechanic) is one thing. but when both have form changing as a visual mechanic, I don't see why they're "different"

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
because the designs for some of the pokemon were popular. they still sell Mega Lucario plushies and shit. gigantamaxes were higher powered forms of pokemon, similar to megas so it's not like it's a crazy stretch. besides trying to use lore to justify asset reuse or lack thereof is just dumb to me. but I'll argue that lore can get in the say of a lot of things with pokemon

and it's less of a complaint and more of me trying to find justification of GF removing yet another thing. removing megas (the gameplay mechanic) for dynamax (the gameplay mechanic) is one thing. but when both have form changing as a visual mechanic, I don't see why they're "different"
Because they're different in concept, they're each treated as different Pokémon

Guarantee you that if they did that anyway, people would have been saying how lazy they are for doing it.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Ok sure Pokemon has a lot to model and animate and some people over exaggerate or misunderstand development but that doesn't change the fact that there were less pokemon in SWSH at launch specifically to treat the ones they did include with more care and yet the models and animations were largely the same quality as 3DS.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because they're different in concept, they're each treated as different Pokémon

Guarantee you that if they did that anyway, people would have been saying how lazy they are for doing it.
then the conversation wouldn't be any different than it is now.

we're probably not gonna see eye to eye on this. with the introduction of stuff like alternate dimensions and shit, GF can just make convenient excuses as to why things are different. just like they will when they reveal dynamax for Sinnoh. to me, the only reason we didn't see megas repurposed as gigantamaxes is because they wanted to boot everything that had the mega tag on it

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ok sure Pokemon has a lot to model and animate and some people over exaggerate or misunderstand development but that doesn't change the fact that there were less pokemon in SWSH at launch specifically to treat the ones they did include with more care and yet the models and animations were largely the same quality as 3DS.
That is one of the misconceptions I've spoken about. They never said they cut to treat them with more care.

It's a whole mess, we'll probably never get official word on what actually happened

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Even if we ignore how poor Sword & Shield looks from a technical, world design and animation POV...the game is still a literal hallway, with boring, empty towns and a very light story that effectively gets dropped in the third act. I laughed whenever I entered one of the 'caves' in that game, which were just the exact same linear routes in an enclosed space. The series has dropped all pretense of having exploration or dungeons.

Something has to change at Game Freak.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
On the topic of realistic vs cartoony, SWSH is still cartoony but it also is more realistic than Sun and Moon were. The water is less stylized, as are the trees and the rocks, and the clouds in the sky
The Pokémon were dull in SM but the environments were much brighter than SWSH
And usually remakes tend to be more cartoony if we go by past patterns (FRLG in respect to RSE, HGSS to DPP, ORAS to XY, Let's Go) so I wouldn't be surprised if DP remakes once again strike a more pleasing balance in art style

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of realistic vs cartoony, SWSH is still cartoony but it also is more realistic than Sun and Moon were. The water is less stylized, as are the trees and the rocks, and the clouds in the sky
The Pokémon were dull in SM but the environments were much brighter than SWSH
And usually remakes tend to be more cartoony if we go by past patterns (FRLG in respect to RSE, HGSS to DPP, ORAS to XY, Let's Go) so I wouldn't be surprised if DP remakes once again strike a more pleasing balance in art style
I hope so. I much prefer the aesthetic of Sun and Moon. SwSh's graphics are a lot better on a technical level, but the artstyle of SM just makes it look nicer to me.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Is it likely at all that things such as CT's exploration, etc, will be ignored when designing gen 9 due to it being done by different staff? Or should the approach of the dlc be taken as a hint of what's to come?

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
We just ignoring the elephant in the room that is the DLC now?
I haven't played the DLC, but...yes, we are ignoring it. Even if it does feature some semblance of exploration, it doesn't change a thing about what I said.

The fact of the matter is that at launch, Sword & Shield (a $60 product) was easily the most anemic game in the series that I've ever played. Despite cutting hundreds of Pokemon, Game Freak still released a game with empty, window dressing towns. They still released a game that is a literal hallway. They still released a game that is so far behind the competition on a technical level that it's embarrassing. They still released a game where the story literally devolves into still images towards the end because they clearly ran out of time.

The DLC is not the main game. It's a $30 optional extra. It does not excuse any of the above.

So yes, something has to change at Game Freak. They clearly can't release a full product on their schedule as is.

Deleted member 70647

User requested account closure
Banned
May 31, 2020
Also, if we do include DLC for SwSh, it's incredibly annoying you need to pay $90 overall just for a complete experience. (I guarantee if swsh was an older pokemon game a lot of the dlc would've been base post game content)

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Also, if we do include DLC for SwSh, it's incredibly annoying you need to pay $90 overall just for a complete experience. (I guarantee if swsh was an older pokemon game a lot of the dlc would've been base post game content)
No it wouldn't have. Could we end this narrative.

The DLC was developed and conceptualised by a different team led by a different director. It would have been content in an enhanced version at best, but probably trimmed down to one area due to having to retool the original game to be enhanced

It's extra. SWSH is full without it.

God I swear the Pokémon community is so separate from the gaming community. This notion of cutting content to make it DLC was put to bed like a decade ago, but people insist it's true for Pokémon.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played the DLC, but...yes, we are ignoring it. Even if it does feature some semblance of exploration, it doesn't change a thing about what I said.

The fact of the matter is that at launch, Sword & Shield (a $60 product) was easily the most anemic game in the series that I've ever played. Despite cutting hundreds of Pokemon, Game Freak still released a game with empty, window dressing towns. They still released a game that is a literal hallway. They still released a game that is so far behind the competition on a technical level that it's embarrassing. They still released a game where the story literally devolves into still images towards the end because they clearly ran out of time.

The DLC is not the main game. It's a $30 optional extra. It does not excuse any of the above.

So yes, something has to change at Game Freak. They clearly can't release a full product on their schedule as is.
"Something has to change"

something changes

"we're ignoring that"

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nothing has changed. The DLC was created by a different team, and on a different release schedule.

Sword & Shield is the best example we have of what to expect content-wise from mainline Pokemon games going forward. And that is alarming.

A lot of changes from previous enhanced versions gets carried over to the next one. Stop dismissing things to make your point

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I saw the original post, Joe. What a laughable response. You get irritated when people call you a shill, but are happy to just dismiss people as haters?

A lot of changes from previous enhanced versions gets carried over to the next one. Stop dismissing things to make your point
We'll see, I guess. Obviously they can learn from what they did with the DLC and implement that going forward, but the bigger issue in my eyes is that if Sword & Shield is any indication, they clearly don't have enough time and/or manpower to release what I'd consider to be a feature-complete product.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if it were an older game, you'd have to shell out another $40 to get the complete experience

Oct 26, 2017
No but it shows that people in Game Freak are listening?

I wouldn't rush to this conclusion right away. Particularly because of the fact that it was developed by different teams (we've seen times where certain features in one game wasn't carried over due to different teams working on them).

Listening would be if GF continues to use this design philosophy for the next main games. So I'd much rather wait and see the next games before I confidently say that GF listened.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017

While true of 'some' of the really 'big' changes (mega-evolutions notwithstanding), most, if not all, of the 'region' specific changes/new features are reverted/not carried along - which often include(d) things that make the game better/less micro-manage-y.

Stop trying to generalize/minimize criticism to make yours. ;)

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
No it wouldn't have. Could we end this narrative.

The DLC was developed and conceptualised by a different team led by a different director. It would have been content in an enhanced version at best, but probably trimmed down to one area due to having to retool the original game to be enhanced

It's extra. SWSH is full without it.

God I swear the Pokémon community is so separate from the gaming community. This notion of cutting content to make it DLC was put to bed like a decade ago, but people insist it's true for Pokémon.

I agree, but I think the reason that people who play Nintendo games have a harder time accepting DLC is because DLC is a relatively newer tactic for Nintendo–at least for its most prominent franchises. I mean, this was Pokemon's first DLC in general. As someone who's been playing Pokemon since Gen 2, Crown Tundra and Aisle of Armor were welcome additions. I like this approach for the series instead of playing a new version of the same game over again with less expansive updates.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but I think the reason that people who play Nintendo games have a harder time accepting DLC is because DLC is a relatively newer tactic for Nintendo–at least for its most prominent franchises. I mean, this was Pokemon's first DLC in general. As someone who's been playing Pokemon since Gen 2, Crown Tundra and Aisle of Armor were welcome additions. I like this approach for the series instead of playing a new version of the same game over again with less expansive updates.
I don't really agree. this is the second console, and third system overall to have DLC, and coming after some major DLC packages. if anything, it's more due to the change to pokemon than nintendo in general. no nintendo game, as far as I know, had DLC-tier additions locked behind a $35-$40 purchase

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree. DLC isn't necessarily new for Nintendo. They've had DLC in numerous titles on the 3DS and Wii U, which are both fairly old systems at this point. Also Gamefreak isn't Nintendo. But I will agree I prefer DLC to 3rd versions, as long as they don't continue entailing the base game being severely gimped and the DLC not interacting with the base game entirely (like how pokemon can only follow you in the DLC area)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has been doing DLc for years now. People are past that already. Especially since people wanted Pokémon to get dlc expansions as opposed to third versions

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I think for me, when it comes to dev struggles, I can sympathize but at the end of the day, game is a product to me and if I don't like it, it does outweigh my sympathies

I felt that way when I played God of war 2018 and I could tell the devs poured their heart out on the game but I still didn't like it

when I know the devs had a lot of shit to overcome, I give some leeway if the game is good enough. I can give props for the FFXV team for somehow making a working game out of the entire versus13 fiasco

nothing gameplay wise about sword and shield makes me think the same way that I did for FFXV. the character and monster design are some of the best of the series but seeing the game world, my first thought was "no amount of production difficulties could excuse this boring world"

hilariously, the highlights of FFXV were the amazing dungeons, some of the best in the franchise while sword and shield had the worst "dungeons" ever

crown tundra did improve a lot so I'm semi optimistic about the future

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If anything, people are begging for Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey DLC. It's the base game of SWSH being rushed to hell and back which makes the 30 euro DLC harder to swallow.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
I don't really agree. this is the second console, and third system overall to have DLC, and coming after some major DLC packages. if anything, it's more due to the change to pokemon than nintendo in general. no nintendo game, as far as I know, had DLC-tier additions locked behind a $35-$40 purchase
I don't agree. DLC isn't necessarily new for Nintendo. They've had DLC in numerous titles on the 3DS and Wii U, which are both fairly old systems at this point. Also Gamefreak isn't Nintendo. But I will agree I prefer DLC to 3rd versions, as long as they don't continue entailing the base game being severely gimped and the DLC not interacting with the base game entirely (like how pokemon can only follow you in the DLC area)
Nintendo has been doing DLc for years now. People are past that already. Especially since people wanted Pokémon to get dlc expansions as opposed to third versions

"Relatively" is the key word here. Nintendo has dabbled in DLC since 2012, but outside of Mario Kart and Smash, it's brand new to many of its core franchises.

Oct 27, 2017
"Relatively" is the key word here. Nintendo has dabbled in DLC since 2012, but outside of Mario Kart and Smash, it's brand new to many of its core franchises.
FE has had DLC since the 3DS games. Xenoblade had DLC starting with X. Splatoon had tons of DLC. Pikmin 3 had DLC. Kirby had DLC. The list goes on. Lots of their games had DLC. It's harder to name core franchises that are still active and don't have DLC

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
FE has had DLC since the 3DS games. Xenoblade had DLC starting with X. Splatoon had tons of DLC. Pikmin 3 had DLC. Kirby had DLC. The list goes on. Lots of their games had DLC. It's harder to name core franchises that are still active and don't have DLC
Much of the DLC that Nintendo has introduced has been for the most recent entries in these franchises–that's really what I'm driving at here. Nintendo started to introduce DLC around the time of the Wii U–a console most consumers skipped altogether. So, yeah, in terms of Nintendo's approach to DLC especially compared to its competitors, DLC is relatively a new approach for the brand. Particularly for Pokemon–this is the first DLC the mainline series has had. It's something fans of the series are adjusting to.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
...I don't see this as likely at all. People aren't confused by the concept of DLC in 2020. Even the ones who only play Nintendo games.

When somebody says "Isle of Armour/Crown Tundra should have been in the base game", they're not implying that those areas were literally removed to be sold separately. They're saying that Sword & Shield has an anemic main story and no postgame at all, and paying $90 to get the bare minimum content is not acceptable.

Last edited:

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's great that the DLC is apparently a step in the right direction, but that does not excuse the fact the SwSh is an awfully half-baked game and it costs 60 dollars regardless of the DLC existing.

It's not okay to launch an unfinished game and then charge more for some content that is actually good. Thinking the DLC excuses the game being bad is a wrong mentality and i hope GF doesn't rely on that to turn it into a fashion.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I hear where everyone in this topic is coming from, but for me I wish GF just had bolder and more direct artistic direction in general. It feels like they are just trying to get by half the time. Like okay, you have too many pokemon? Cut even more of them out! Make the ones that are in look good and do something new and exciting that makes us all go "oh yeah okay I get it." Instead it's the same quality we would get if all the pokemon were there, but they're not. It's a bummer.

The cohesion with the pokemon, the world and the general design language just isn't there. Pick an art style that isn't so bland and commit to it from top to bottom.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hear where everyone in this topic is coming from, but for me I wish GF just had bolder and more direct artistic direction in general. It feels like they are just trying to get by half the time. Like okay, you have too many pokemon? Cut even more of them out! Make the ones that are in look good and do something new and exciting that makes us all go "oh yeah okay I get it." Instead it's the same quality we would get if all the pokemon were there, but they're not. It's a bummer.

The cohesion with the pokemon, the world and the general design language just isn't there. Pick an art style that isn't so bland and commit to it from top to bottom.
I suspect the problem is that takes time they don't have, and people with experience whom are not in the studio. their render engine probably isn't suited for that and the cadence prevents them from making big changes because it'd push games back. and the marketing machine needs new mons to chew through.

they should just either bite the bullet and use Unity or upgrade the shit out of their current engine. even if it meant Gen 9 comes in 2023

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I agree that it's difficult and a lot of work to put in all the new Pokémon into a game, but I think they sorta messed that up with the regional variants. Those are not just reskinned models right? The time and space put into the several versions of Slowpokes evolution could have been put more towards bringing another family tree forward, right?

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
It's great that the DLC is apparently a step in the right direction, but that does not excuse the fact the SwSh is an awfully half-baked game and it costs 60 dollars regardless of the DLC existing.

It's not okay to launch an unfinished game and then charge more for some content that is actually good. Thinking the DLC excuses the game being bad is a wrong mentality and i hope GF doesn't rely on that to turn it into a fashion.
Welcome to modern gaming, we have AAA games released as early access titles, game patches that are 8gigs worth of data, and games that have and continue to cut content to sell for dlc.

But I do agree that SWSh does feel unfinished in areas but not with the actual Pokemon. The cut has never and will continue to not bother me

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to modern gaming, we have AAA games released as early access titles, game patches that are 8gigs worth of data, and games that have and continue to cut content to sell for dlc.

But I do agree that SWSh does feel unfinished in areas but not with the actual Pokemon. The cut has never and will continue to not bother me
At least those AAA games actually get improved on. Aside from access to new Pokemon the DLC is fairly isolated, and still leaves the main game completely underwhelming and unfinished. I'd say it's the one and only downside I can think of to not having a 3rd version

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
"Something has to change"

something changes

"we're ignoring that"
Paid DLC really isn't a solution to the amount and quality of content in the base game being sub-par. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain why having to spend more money to fix problems with the base game isn't acceptable.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The time and space put into the several versions of Slowpokes evolution could have been put more towards bringing another family tree forward, right?
probably not. decisions like those are independent of each other. otherwise, we'd actually have seen animation improvements thanks to dexit

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
At least those AAA games actually get improved on. Aside from access to new Pokemon the DLC is fairly isolated, and still leaves the main game completely underwhelming and unfinished. I'd say it's the one and only downside I can think of to not having a 3rd version
To be perfectly honest I doubt a third version would have fixed that, if memory serves most third versions the region itself is still highly similar to the original, the story may be slightly different and there may be an extra dungeon during it but the overall game would have been the same. outside of maybe BW2 third versions offer very little change to the region itself

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Paid DLC really isn't a solution to the amount and quality of content in the base game being sub-par. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain why having to spend more money to fix problems with the base game isn't acceptable.
I didn't say it's a fix I said it's a change in how they designed the world which directly addressed the feedback from the base game both on how people wanted every area to be like the wild area and the area itself being designed better at the same time

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
No but it shows that people in Game Freak are listening?
All of the DLC for SwSh released less than a year after the base game, even with Covid undoubtedly slowing the final stages of development. There's no chance that design and planning for the DLC wasn't finalized before the base game even released, never mind that it was developed by a separate team.

Beyond that, with Gen 7 and Gen 8 we've hit two generations in a row of hyper linear design, with Gen 8 being the worst yet in that regard.