• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Had a weekend of playing off and on and reached the final gauntlet which I'll hopefully get through this afternoon. Wow, what a ride! I didn't actually beat all the c-sides but looking forward to going back to them. I feel a lot more confident with the game now. But this has been such a brutal gauntlet but like Celeste in general, really scratches that itch for platformers requiring tenacity and a willingness to fine tune your skills.

I had no idea how to wavedash before and now I've got it down to an art, however I really struggled with the chaining: I failed it so much because so often I tried, and got the speed but not the extra boost back even though it felt like I was executing it flawlessly. I almost had to rewire my brain to tell myself to do the chained dashes earlier/from higher up as that seemed to be the issue.

But boy the way this level just kept going and bringing challenge after challenge has really felt like a proper test for passionate platforming fans like myself and I love it so much. I've no idea what could replace this.

After a week of pure suffering, my skills are finally coming back and I'm making some progress. Just hit the 5 locked squares in a room.
I LOVED this level! I actually groaned a bit when I got to the room but by the end I realised the level design felt absolutely immaculate and so clever, the way it's designed to work both before and after switching the electricity off, as well as the bite-sized tests of skill in between. It was massively satisfying and must have been really difficult to design.

It's a weird comparison but reminds me slightly of how the God of War hub level design is recontextualised after the water level changes.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
After beating the C sides with the maligned joycon d pad, I've actually found the pro controller more finicky.

Justice for joycons!

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I'm going to come in waaaay over that. This was my evening:

yes I got revenge about ten minutes later - that room was awful for me

I'm really stuck there now. The timing to get a wallkick for the perfect angle and height off the moving platform is just way too precise for me. It's pure trial and error and you have to do this jump two times in a row. There's no way to learn the timing for the second wallkick with the spring because after one death it takes me 20 minutes to reach that spot again.

Please tell me there's nothing harder than this afterwards. :o

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really stuck there now. The timing to get a wallkick for the perfect angle and height off the moving platform is just way too precise for me. It's pure trial and error and you have to do this jump two times in a row. There's no way to learn the timing for the second wallkick with the spring because after one death it takes me 20 minutes to reach that spot again.

You can eliminate two jumps by just holding on and riding the block as it moves.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can eliminate two jumps by just holding on and riding the block as it moves.

I'm already doing it that way and know how to execute everything in theory. But I only reached the trampoline part three times and then I panic and have no idea what the timing to nail the wallkick is.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already doing it that way and know how to execute everything in theory. But I only reached the trampoline part three times and then I panic and have no idea what the timing to nail the wallkick is.
Try hitting the launch pad at the same time as the moving block touches the first stalactite of spikes -- that seemed to help me.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Had a weekend of playing off and on and reached the final gauntlet which I'll hopefully get through this afternoon. Wow, what a ride! I didn't actually beat all the c-sides but looking forward to going back to them. I feel a lot more confident with the game now. But this has been such a brutal gauntlet but like Celeste in general, really scratches that itch for platformers requiring tenacity and a willingness to fine tune your skills.

I had no idea how to wavedash before and now I've got it down to an art, however I really struggled with the chaining: I failed it so much because so often I tried, and got the speed but not the extra boost back even though it felt like I was executing it flawlessly. I almost had to rewire my brain to tell myself to do the chained dashes earlier/from higher up as that seemed to be the issue.

But boy the way this level just kept going and bringing challenge after challenge has really felt like a proper test for passionate platforming fans like myself and I love it so much. I've no idea what could replace this.

I LOVED this level! I actually groaned a bit when I got to the room but by the end I realised the level design felt absolutely immaculate and so clever, the way it's designed to work both before and after switching the electricity off, as well as the bite-sized tests of skill in between. It was massively satisfying and must have been really difficult to design.

It's a weird comparison but reminds me slightly of how the God of War hub level design is recontextualised after the water level changes.

I agree. The placement of this area in terms of pacing and design are phenomenal.

Still haven't gotten all the keys yet though...

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017

That room actually gave me Mario Maker vibes lol, like those "Metroidvania" levels people make where you unlock powerups to use later in the level. A pretty cool section of the DLC definitely.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This obstacle might be the first one in the game I actively dislike. Wallkicking off that moving platform just feels awkward and when I get enough height to jump over the spikes I never know why it worked this time. This feels like Boshy-levels of precision that was never necessary in the game before.

Anyone want to tell me if there is more of this "perfectly-timed wallkicking off moving platforms after a wavedash - twice" in this chapter after this room? If yes I probably won't bother with it further for now.

Oct 25, 2017
This obstacle might be the first one in the game I actively dislike. Wallkicking off that moving platform just feels awkward and when I get enough height to jump over the spikes I never know why it worked this time. This feels like Boshy-levels of precision that was never necessary in the game before.

Anyone want to tell me if there is more of this "perfectly-timed wallkicking off moving platforms after a wavedash - twice" in this chapter after this room? If yes I probably won't bother with it further for now.

Off of moving platforms? Not that I can remember. But the room I'm in right now requires I think seven wavedashes with different movements between them.

It's going to take me a while to be able to execute that.

Descapp

Oct 27, 2017
Just completed Farewell at around 2700 deaths, holy shit this took forever and was hard as nails, more so than the c-sides. It was great though, loved the new mechanics, the jellyfish in particular.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

That was probably the room I was stuck in the longest. Nothing afterwards requires as precise a tech, though wallkicks and wavedashes are still necessary. However pretty much every room can be done with a grounded version of the wavedash instead, which I find a good deal easier to time.

Last edited:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
However pretty much every room can be done with a grounded version of the wavedash instead, which I find a good deal easier to time.

What do you mean with grounded version?
Doing this diagonal long jump from the ground is the technique used in the Ch8 C-Side, but that one doesn't refill your dash which is necessary here.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean with grounded version?
Doing this diagonal long jump from the ground is the technique used in the Ch8 C-Side, but that one doesn't refill your dash which is necessary here.
If the do the one from 8C, but give yourself enough room on the ground to jump later in the dash, you keep your dash. The actual wavedash is only necessary when you have very little space on the ground or have to move fast immediately after landing.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017

I've been stuck at this part for god knows how long. I hate how reliant on timing it is, if you start the first wavedash a fraction of a second too soon or too late you're fucked.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did it!

Holy shit, that room took me like 2 and a half hours and probably a thousand deaths alone.

Why am I doing this to myself?

Oct 28, 2017
Guys I'm super early in chapter 9 and I'm stuck I literally have no idea what the game wants me to do. I feel like there's something new the game hasn't taught me?

Ok guys I'm getting pissed off now just please tell me what the game wants me to do. A room with floating platforms with springs on it and one purple double dash crystal at the start. There is no way to get across the room you don't have enough dashes or platforms to navigate. I presume somehow you need to get across to the final bit without using any dashes but that's impossible you cant jump far enough.

I have beaten all the C sides in the main game and have never encountered a wall like this not even close. What you were supposed to do was always made clear. It was just about getting the execution right. This is a completely different beast and for the first time I'm not liking something about Celeste.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm super early in chapter 9 and I'm stuck I literally have no idea what the game wants me to do. I feel like there's something new the game hasn't taught me?

Ok guys I'm getting pissed off now just please tell me what the game wants me to do. A room with floating platforms with springs on it and one purple double dash crystal at the start. There is no way to get across the room you don't have enough dashes or platforms to navigate. I presume somehow you need to get across to the final bit without using any dashes but that's impossible you cant jump far enough.

Do you know about fast-fall (press down while falling)? Going from memory but I believe the pattern is that you bounce up to a floating block with a spring on the opposite side, grab it to make it start falling, jump over the spikes, then fast-fall down to catch the spring.

Oct 28, 2017
Do you know about fast-fall (press down while falling)? Going from memory but I believe the pattern is that you bounce up to a floating block with a spring on the opposite side, grab it to make it start falling, jump over the spikes, then fast-fall down to catch the spring.
THANK YOU!

This is really something the game should explicitly tell you in this room. In the original game when a new mechanic was introduced or something you've never had to do before, it told you.

Oct 25, 2017
THANK YOU!

This is really something the game should explicitly tell you in this room. In the original game when a new mechanic was introduced or something you've never had to do before, it told you.

I only even remember this room because some streamers were talking about whether or not this was the first time the game actually required you to fast-fall. It's obviously used a lot in speed running, and a high percentage of casuals (like myself) are also aware of it, but a surprising number of casuals actually don't know you can fast fall. I didn't even realize it was controversial until it came up on some streams.

So you're not alone. I think the designers assumed everyone already knew fast-falling was a thing even though it hadn't ever been officially required before, which is why you don't get an introduction to it.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
8 hours and 2739 deaths, but I F*'ing did it!

I found it a bit too difficult and unforgiving to really enjoy it.
I'll definitely replay Celeste one day, but I'll quit after the Core.
This was enough for once in a lifetime.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm tired of getting my arse kicked by Farewell, so last night I decided to work on 1A dashless. Took about 400 deaths but I got there at last :D

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Is there any other special move in Celeste that allows you to recover a dash? I mean, besides the one that we learn in this DLC.
This one:
If the do the one from 8C, but give yourself enough room on the ground to jump later in the dash, you keep your dash. The actual wavedash is only necessary when you have very little space on the ground or have to move fast immediately after landing.
Although I don't think there's anywhere in the DLC (that I've gotten to yet) that I've been able to use that method. Not that I'm particularly good at it to begin with though.

I tried it on the triple wave dash jump but just couldn't do it no matter what way I tried (that way or the jump way). First time in the game I resorted to Assist Mode. Tried it at 90% speed and wasn't getting any better. Ticked it down one more to 80% and I think got it first try.
I only even remember this room because some streamers were talking about whether or not this was the first time the game actually required you to fast-fall. It's obviously used a lot in speed running, and a high percentage of casuals (like myself) are also aware of it, but a surprising number of casuals actually don't know you can fast fall. I didn't even realize it was controversial until it came up on some streams.

So you're not alone. I think the designers assumed everyone already knew fast-falling was a thing even though it hadn't ever been officially required before, which is why you don't get an introduction to it.
Heh yeah. I think I only knew about it cause I always messed with it cause the animation where it squeezes/stretches Madeline.

Speaking of little animation touches, only yesterday I noticed the binocular viewer thing (where you can look ahead on a level) animates around and makes squeaky noises when you move the camera.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Are you supposed to wavedash here? I kept jumping too far with it and just did this cheater method:

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the final room now and it's veeery long. Better leave that one for tomorrow.

Apart from that one super-precise wallkick room I was stuck in earlier everything afterwards was very fun and totally doable.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, dying several hundred times on the tutorial to wavedashing is not a great feeling.
Personally I found the wavedashing tutorial to super unintuitive and actually kind of damaging, it's easier to get a feel for it without the silhouette trying to show you the timing

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I'm going back and cleaning up the C sides because I never touched those and, honestly, just fuck Chapter 3 in general. All of its gimmicks are the worst gimmicks in the game but the Oshiro demon thing in particular is beyond irritating to deal with.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Im at the tutorial for wavedashing, and I'm iffy about this dlc. I love the mechanics but the pixel perfect gameplay just isn't fun for me.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Im at the tutorial for wavedashing, and I'm iffy about this dlc. I love the mechanics but the pixel perfect gameplay just isn't fun for me.

Except there's no pixel perfect needed at all to finish this DLC! Just try for a while, it's easier than it looks to do it right

I totally agree that it's hard and can be no fun for a lot of people, but the game is still fair and leaves you a lot of rooms to do things your own way

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this helpful, I don't know, but you don't have to jump to wavedash. You can do it from standing or walking, and that gets a somewhat flatter/faster trajectory. You can also keep your jump if you pause slightly between pressing dash and jump, same as the regular/jumping wave dash.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
6c is kind of a joke, huh? Recorded fewer deaths on that than on any other side for any chapter lol. Now time to tackle the dreaded 7c.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally fucking got it. I swear that took a solid four hours of trying.

Again, I do not reccomend playing this game with joycon sticks.

Aug 28, 2019

THANK YOU!

Jeez, I got stuck on the same stupid room. I had the right idea, but I didn't understand how to make it work. Thanks for the tip.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Making steady progress, no thanks to attempts like this one:

Last night I reached the part where you

briefly meet up with Part of Me again

and it felt like a good stopping point.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
3494 deaths and 8 hours 12 minutes later and I've finally beaten Farewell. What a great sendoff for one of my favorite platformers ever.

Now I'm exhausted.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm stuck again. I'm in a room with a red launch ball at the bottom that shoots you up. There were a bunch of locks to stop you from going up and you had to get all the keys. I've got 4 of the 5 keys from the 4 rooms on each side. There's another key somewhere? Where? Looking at the entire room there's literally nowhere else to go. Where's the fifth key?

Gotta say I'm not a fan of some of the design choices in chapter 9. New required mechanics that aren't taught to the player and confusing level design. That's not Celeste.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I'm stuck again. I'm in a room with a red launch ball at the bottom that shoots you up. There were a bunch of locks to stop you from going up and you had to get all the keys. I've got 4 of the 5 keys from the 4 rooms on each side. There's another key somewhere? Where? Looking at the entire room there's literally nowhere else to go. Where's the fifth key?

Gotta say I'm not a fan of some of the design choices in chapter 9. New required mechanics that aren't taught to the player and confusing level design. That's not Celeste.
Use the binoculars (they're hidden directly left of the entrance to the room) to look around for a spot where it looks like there's a hidden exit.

Oct 27, 2017
So I downloaded the Chapter 9 but I saw I haven't finished all the B sides and C sides. Back to them I suppose.

I'm playing with a SNES controller (Wiimote + 8bitdo adapter) and it feels pretty great