• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Remember how folks at CD Projekt Red responded when articles and reviews pointed out The Witcher 3's lack of diversity back when the game came out?

Let's take a little trip to 2015 for a quick refresher.

"Fifty shades of white": Witcher 3 devs talk race and adapting literature

PC Gamer said:
During PAX Prime, members of The Witcher 3's narrative design team held a panel to discuss the challenges of adapting the source material, but they also addressed the issue.

"There are 16 different language versions of the Witcher 3," said Jakub Szmalek, a senior writer for The Witcher 3. "And we wanted each of these versions to feel like it was aimed at this very [specific] market. We don't want you to feel like you are playing a lesser translated version of the game."

"If we achieve this goal, the problem arises that you forget that you are playing a translated version of the game."

"If we achieve this goal, the problem arises that you forget that you are playing a translated version of the game."

PC Gamer said:
Szmalek went on to address the controversy surrounding the lack of racial diversity in the game, saying that some people assumed that it was some form of omission or a statement that the studio was trying to make.

"It is definitely not," Szmalek said. "It's just that we tackled certain issues from a different perspective."

Travis Currit, who was one of the team responsible for translating The Witcher 3 to English, suggested that for those living in more racially diverse areas, the lack of representation feels far more pronounced. He went on to say that while Poland is relatively "homogeneous" in terms of race, CD Projekt Red drew inspiration from the tensions that existed between the various cultures coexisting in the country.

"It's fifty shades of white," Szmalek said.

"Every day you read the papers there's a new controversy," Currit said. "That is a huge aspect of the reality in which the games and the books were created, and we feel like we make very direct references to those in-game. We had become so absorbed with hitting these issues that are absolutely at the forefront of Polish consciousness, that we didn't have time to address the issues that are bigger in other countries."

"That's the issue of making a game that releases to so many peoples and cultures," Szmalek added.

Still rings hollow to me in 2020.

But hey it's not like there's a hot new Witcher adaptation out there that managed to become a mega hit all while featuring PoC in its slavic-mythology-inspired setting.

oh wait.

1f9.gif

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I did feel that the show was a direct response to the lack of diversity in the game. Not that it was the intention, but the contrast is significant enough to warrant the comparison.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yeah, mad props to the show for having as much diversity as it did. Helps to have a woman show runner who's likelier to include more voices.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a big deal to me because I prioritize historical accuracy in my dark fantasy tales about monster hunting and sorcery.

(I thought the show did a great job.)

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
it never really bothered me playing the game but i wish Yennefer in game looked more like Yennefer in the show. also i really like the actress for Triss in the show too.

it will never happen but i'd like CDPR to get the TV cast (at least Geralt, Ciri, Yennefer, Triss) in for Witcher 4 to model them and have them record voices.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah, we all knew it was bullshit but CDPR has never been great at inclusivisity, from Witcher's whiteness to Cyberpunk's transphobia. I'm glad the show is better in this aspect and the female characterisation, thanks to female showrunners and writers. Once CDPR gets better diversity in their own teams like the show was, you'll see the benefits. But this is still one of their blindspots.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
CDPR made choices, the Netflix crew made different choices.

But hey it's not like there's a hot new Witcher adaptation out there that managed to become a mega hit all while featuring PoC in its slavic-mythology-inspired setting.

If you're implying that CDPR chose to not diversify out of fear it would be less of a hit, I disagree. They could have gone a similar route as the show and added diversity to mostly secondary characters, but your quote mentioned time as a factor

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
didn't mind it in the witcher games, but the netflix casting has been refreshing. also i do enjoy the saltiness that came with it.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
I´m a ginger and i´m still processing a non ginger Triss. The actress did a good job on portraing her though. Overall i really enjoyed the series and can´t wait for season 2.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's OK with me if Slavic peoples want to make a game about Slavic peoples, honestly. It's also OK with me if this is a significant enough issue for other people to turn them away from the game.

But also, that's not to say that the show's any worse off for being diverse, either. Diversity is practically never something that makes a work worse off.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
The Witcher 3 is a straight white male game's wet dream come true and I'm convinced that's a huge reason for it's success. Because that gameplay is fucking atrocious and the characters interactions are often ridiculous and immensely cringe worthy, especially when the long cast of perfectly beautiful women *hint hint* is involved.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems strange that there's been no mention of CDPR's efforts to diversify their game's cast of characters with the Ofieri in their first DLC.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
The Witcher 3 is a straight white male game's wet dream come true and I'm convinced that's a huge reason for it's success. Because that gameplay is fucking atrocious and the characters interactions are often ridiculous and immensely cringe worthy, especially when the long cast of perfectly beautiful women *hint hint* is involved.

That's a bit insulting especially when there's people who are not even straight that adore Geralt

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
So you don't like the game, which means that the reason it's successful is that it's a patriarchal fantasy?

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Are the books diverse? Haven't read them.
The books aren't diverse at all, far as I know.

I think the main reason you don't see diversity in the game is that it's made by a bunch of white polish people, from source material with white polish characters, and racial diversity was probably not on their mind at all. I know this sounds very weird to Americans, but Poland was, and remains, almost completely white.

Not that CDPR is a bastion of progressive values, of course. But considering the prominence of characters of various races in Cyberpunk 2077, I'd argue that their omission from Witcher 3 can be better explained by ignorance and thoughtlessness rather than active racism.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The Witcher 3 has an excellent cast of female characters, actually. They've come a long way from sex cards in The Witcher 1.

Oct 26, 2017

You should play The Witcher, the first and come back, because women in The Witcher 3 are way better and the interactions are nowhere neat cringe worthy like you are trying to imply lol

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
That's a bit insulting especially when there's people who are not even straight that adore Geralt

LGBT people finding him attractive does not invalidate my argument. I find him physically attractive as well, but he has the personality of a boulder on steroids. Not to mention that he controls like a tank with the input lag of an interstellar journey.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, plus the games are full of creative liberties as they are set after the books. Meanwhile the show is meant to be a faithful adaption of the books, and it achieves so.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You should play The Witcher, the first and come back, because women in The Witcher 3 are way better and the interactions are nowhere neat cringe worthy like you are trying to imply lol
The Witcher 1 is a really really low bar to be better than for representation of women.

Command & Conker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 1, 2019
If CDPR did a faithful adaptation of the books then you can't blame them, you have to blame the author.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Is this straight white male bait?

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not implying, they are. I played TW3 to completion and that was enough for me, thanks. Strongly dislike the game, even though I quite enjoyed the first season of the Netflix series. They're light and day when it comes to how they present themselves in the context of the age we're living.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
LGBT people finding him attractive does not invalidate my argument. I find him physically attractive as well, but he has the personality of a boulder on steroids. Not to mention that he controls like a tank with the input lag of an interstellar journey.
So like have you actually played the game, or

Oct 31, 2017
Of course we were going to have a super hot take.

Oct 26, 2017
The Witcher 1 is a really really low bar to be better than for representation of women.

I just gave an example that makes sense since we are talking about The Witcher.

The way women are potrayed in the third game is totally different from the first entry

I'm not implying, they are. I played TW3 to completion and that was enough for me, thanks. Strongly dislike the game, even though I quite enjoyed the first season of the Netflix series. They're light and day when it comes to how they present themselves in the context of the age we're living.

Can you give me some examples then?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Iam not a fan of swaying away from the books tbh if the tv series did that just for the sake of diversity but if not then iam totally fine with this.I like if adaptions stay true when it comes to character traits and personalities also how the character looks but personally speaking i wasn't a fan of cavil's acting and the the casted actresses for yen and triss. I haven't read the books though so idk if the game swayed away from the base canon that are the books.

Dec 10, 2019
"Past statements are more concerning because of new events that happened - we need to revisit"
Can't wait to get 2020 standards judged by 2070 society.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Yeah, but the show is made by British and American people.. the games are made by Polish people.. Is this another way to bash Slavic people ?

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah, we all knew it was bullshit but CDPR has never been great at inclusivisity, from Witcher's whiteness to Cyberpunk's transphobia. I'm glad the show is better in this aspect and the female characterisation, thanks to female showrunners and writers. Once CDPR gets better diversity in their own teams like the show was, you'll see the benefits. But this is still one of their blindspots.
You know, I believe Cyberpunk's transphobia (which as of now is limited to a single image, I think) is more a case of non-trans devs trying to go for trans rep and botching it rather than people who're actually transphobic. I'd reckon they might be better thought of as trans-ignorant. That said, I'm glad there was public criticism about the whole thing, and hope they learn from it and hire some consultants (who share the marginalized identities represented in the game) to do a better job at representation.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
They learned, Cyberpunk 2077 is pretty diverse and by having the creator working closely with the team (cp creator is a black man) helped as well.

Also to their credit the source material isn't very diverse if at all plus Poland is also pretty damn white. So you have a Polish developer making a game based of a Polish book series. Each game they get better and better. I think people are being way too hard on CDPR.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I wonder if the conservative Witcher game fans are triggered by the show.

I used to follow a youtuber who did a lot of cool witcher 3 videos but stopped when they put out a dumb video about how bad it is that fringilla isn't white.
And of course all the comments were agreeing with them, so there are a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Asking Polish devs why their adaptation of a Polish book based on Western mythology why there aren't many PoC in their game seems like an effort in futility. Of course they wouldn't think about that when making the game, they're going to make it based on how they interpreted the books, which is unlikely to include many PoC if they haven't interacted with many in their lives.

it never really bothered me playing the game but i wish Yennefer in game looked more like Yennefer in the show. also i really like the actress for Triss in the show too.

it will never happen but i'd like CDPR to get the TV cast (at least Geralt, Ciri, Yennefer, Triss) in for Witcher 4 to model them and have them record voices.
Oh God please no. Keep the two interpretations of the books divorced please. I like the freedom that being a dev has, allowing you to model based on any face you see and like, as opposed to being limited to a pool of interested actors.

That and i vastly prefer CDPR's Yennefer's model to the show's actress.
Seems strange that there's been no mention of CDPR's efforts to diversify their game's cast of characters with the Ofieri in their first DLC.
There's a narrative here and that is an exception to the rule, that's why it's not being mentioned. It was also more of a response to the complaints that CDPR couldn't really forsee until their game became hugely anticipated.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong.

Sorry. There isn't much point going into it, because any reasonable person wouldn't actually be making this argument.

Which isn't to say one is good and one is bad, but they both have their issues, in different areas. So to say it is night and day, is a foolish argument.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
the show is not a faithful adaptations , nor it needs to be
Eh it's pretty faithful when the turn of events happen in a similar way. It doesn't need to be exactly like the books 1:1 to be faithful.
It's not doing a GoT with completely separate interactions and plot threads. Last Wish happens pretty much the same way, with Geralt fishing and Dandelion getting injured, which then leads to his meeting with Yen.

Spedfrom

Oct 27, 2017
I just gave an example that makes sense since we are talking about The Witcher.

The way women are potrayed in the third game is totally different from the first entry

Can you give me some examples then?
Are the many interactions between Geralt and Ciri, who is supposed to be like a daughter to him, but always lean on flirting, not enough? Even Philippa makes a comment about it ingame for crying out loud.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I can't think of many games this generation with a better cast of female characters than The Witcher 3: Yennefer, Shani, Triss, Keira, Cerys, Ciri, Iris, Anna-Henrietta, Priscilla, Syanna, ... all of them excellently written characters who manage to shine through in their own way in the oppressive world of The Witcher.

iris_von_everec_by_vollhov-da951ce.png

CERYS-AN-CRATE.jpg

H11TalE.jpg