Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
UPDATE 12/25: Lawsuit is LIVE

www.polygon.com

CD Projekt facing class action lawsuit over Cyberpunk 2077 release

A New York-based law firm filed the lawsuit on Thursday

The lawsuit was filed Thursday in a California court by New York-based firm Rosen Law Firm.

Lawyers are seeking an unnamed amount of damages for investors. In the news release published Thursday, Rosen Law Firm — which specializes in "global investor rights" — asked investors interested in joining the litigation to contact the firm. Polygon has reached out to Rosen Law Firm and CD Projekt for more information.

A class has not yet been certified, Rosen Law Firm said. Investors in Poland are also considering a class action lawsuit, the New York Times reported. Another law firm, Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz, is also investigating "potential securities claims."

Original Post Below

---------

www.nytimes.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Was Supposed to Be the Biggest Video Game of the Year. What Happened? (Published 2020)

Nearly a decade of hype led to a troubled release riddled with glitches, a livid fan base, refunds for potentially millions of players and a possible class-action lawsuit.

The immediate future looks dark for Cyberpunk's makers — perhaps even darker than the future they built in Night City. Refund requests are pouring in by the thousands. Lawyers and investors in Warsaw are circling the situation, contemplating a class-action lawsuit against the company for potential criminal "misrepresentation in order to receive financial benefits," according to a regulatory filing. Many gamers are swearing off playing Cyberpunk entirely until the company fixes all of the problems.

(Google Translated)

In connection with the recent events - and in particular the suspension of the sale of the CYBERPUNK 2077 product, we are currently analyzing, together with the law firm's team, the grounds for bringing a class action together with the notification of the possibility of committing a crime under Art. 286 of the Penal Code. - misrepresentation in order to obtain financial benefits.

Last edited:

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I mean, investors are likely to want blood here. You can't make material statements publicly that are untrue as investors will make decisions based on those statements. They've shed nearly half their value in ~2 weeks.

The bait and switch on PC review copies would not only have induced consumers to purchase product through intentionally misleading means, but also investors to feel the company was likely to have a financial windfall with the title.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Good. Further into the gutter this trash company goes the better.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
Good. Make an example of them. Lots of games come out buggy and broken but CDPR clearly and deliberately tried to hide it.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Is this proof that it's impossible to be a successful studio if you ever want to expand enough to get investors

Seems as soon as you 'sell out' you no longer are responsible for good decisions

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Yeah, the investors are going to want blood.

They came out not even 2 weeks before and told them it was all good.

It was not all good.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
US Shareholders/Investors might consider one too.
finance.yahoo.com

CD PROJEKT SA CLASS ACTION ALERT: Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz LLP announces that it is investigating a potential securities class action lawsuit against CD Projekt SA

NEW YORK, Dec. 18, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz LLP announces an investigation of potential securities claims on behalf of shareholders of CD Projekt S.A. (OTC: OTGLY, OTGLF) (the “Company”) resulting from allegations that CD Projekt may have issued materially...

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This has to be one of the worst launches of a game I've ever seen.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
If we are talking the previous generation consoles for sure. But on current gen and PC the game runs fine just glitchy. Most open world games are glitchy at release and get fixed.

however they should have cancelled the previous generation versions of the game. its clear as day there is too much going on in the game for previous generation consoles to handle. And yes they did misrepresent that.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Based on the questions from that investor Q&A, they have some very well informed investors. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Wow lol.

I'm just loving that this will be a warning sign for the likes of Ubisoft, EA, and the like not try to this stuff ever.

It seems consumers are finally gonna get a win after many years of these shenanigans.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Is this proof that it's impossible to be a successful studio if you ever want to expand enough to get investors

Seems as soon as you 'sell out' you no longer are responsible for good decisions

How does this show that? Its very possible to be a publicly traded company making games. The game is bad because its a shoddy product, not because they "sold out". Whether you have investors or not companies (all companies) need to generate revenue to stay in business. I am assuming that this game released in the state it is because of cashflow considerations and both not wanting to and needing to not miss the holidays.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Oh boy... they deserve it, though. I also hope other publishers and developers are taking notes. I bought the game but still haven't unwrapped it, but at this point I no longer have the desire to actually play it. Might as well return it I guess.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Make an example of them. Lots of games come out buggy and broken but CDPR clearly and deliberately tried to hide it.
Wow lol.

I'm just loving that this will be a warning sign for the likes of Ubisoft, EA, and the like not try to this stuff ever.

It seems consumers are finally gonna get a win after many years of these shenanigans.
This is what I want most out of this.

I want this to be a warning to the rest of the industry that they need to slow down and finish their shit.

electristan

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
This is why I download my games from GOG to my own server.

Feel there will be major fallout from this, and CDPR has lost a lot of good will.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Wow lol.

There is a difference between a buggy/glitchy game that is still playable and a game that is literally unplayable. Cyberpunk on previous generation consoles is literally unplayable. Extreme framerate drops, textures and models not loading in. World not loading in. fps in combat not playable ect. All of this is what they misrepresented.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they pushed those current gen versions out the door lmao.

Never seen a self own so thorough.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like that time EA went too far with Star Wars lootboxes.

Fuck up so bad that you become an example for the rest.

Releasing messy games that get fixed after launch (if at all) should not be a thing.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
If we are talking the previous generation consoles for sure. But on current gen and PC the game runs fine just glitchy. Most open world games are glitchy at release and get fixed.

however they should have cancelled the previous generation versions of the game. its clear as day there is too much going on in the game for previous generation consoles to handle. And yes they did misrepresent that.
Absolutely. They needed to axe or indefinitely delay the last-gen versions. Those established player bases were probably far too important to their bottom line.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, investors are likely to want blood here. You can't make material statements publicly that are untrue as investors will make decisions based on those statements. They've shed nearly half their value in ~2 weeks.

The bait and switch on PC review copies would not only have induced consumers to purchase product through intentionally misleading means, but also investors to feel the company was likely to have a financial windfall with the title.
They also flat out lied to investor in a meeting earlier this week where they told the investors that the devs were under no pressure or obligation to release this month.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
After the W3 they thought they'd all get gold watches and be minted up like the big boys but turns out they were still running on amateur hour.

Never seen such a clownshoes operation in a long time. From trying to court the chud base to practically lying through their teeth since even before day one, they deserve everything that is coming to them.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fear this will simply be pushed onto the developers in some way while management skirts any responsibility.

The only way this shitstorm has a happy ending is if heads roll up top. Not the devs.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe this will finally get publishers on board to let their dev teams have enough time to finish the games

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Man, what an unneeded disaster. CDPR were given warnings by the dev team that they needed more time, and they knew they were covering up how buggy certain versions of the game were. If they had slowed down, delayed the game to say April 2021, very likely they would have had a largely bug-free launch and a positively received game. There would have been some disappointment based on the actual content of the game (Like with any other release) but I doubt it would be getting the backlash this has gotten.

This is entirely on the management team, and hopefully it serves as a warning for other companies about what not to do when making and releasing a major title.

PandemicOdin

Oct 31, 2020
It is absolutely astonishing that CDPR thought it was a good idea to ship the game in the state they did for no other reason than this... Lawsuits coming in are not surprising at all since the stock has lost nearly $200.00 from it's 52 week high all because they lied to their player base, investors, everyone really.

I wonder what the reception would be if they said it only kind of works on the PS4/XB1 so you can buy it but we don't know if you'll get proper enjoyment out of it. I'm playing it on the PS5 and it's been relatively good for me at least. Just a bizarre situation w/unforced errors all around. It doesn't make any sense

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
CD Projekt Reset

Will be interesting to see how they will redeem themselves. Gotta do a No Man's Sky turnaround to the nth degree.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the biggest blunder of the generation? Ignoring the Don Matrick Xbox One era, of course.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Who would have thought that the biggest game of the year would end up like this holy shit. Was it really impossible to delay the base console versions for a couple of months and release only on PC,PS5,XS S/X ?

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Defrauding shareholders results in jail time. Executive management is probably sweating bullets now. The CEO would be wise not to stir up anything further on Twitter.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not for the right reasons, but I'll take what I can get.
Not the right reasons but I believe it's for the same problem i.e. the pathetic management and marketing of this game which doubled down on these things without a shred of ethical and moral integrity. They deserve all the shit they are getting for their arrogance, their incompetence as well as their lack of empathy which has hurt people, the devs, as well as the game itself.