astro

Oct 25, 2017
The plan once The Next Gen versions of the Witcher 3 was announced to explore the whole series [Books then games then Netflix show] and play 3 when the games updated. I already own Witcher 3 and both DLC.( I played 20 hours of Witcher 3 and it's dlc before stopping liked the characters and hated the combat.)

As the year went on It became increasingly clear Upper management of CDPR is really awful and transphobic. Cyberpunk went from a day 1 buy to a never purchase for me.

The thing is I still already own Witcher 3 and figure it's separate enough from cyberpunk for me to play.

A week ago I got The last wish from the library I started reading it and it's a cool book so far the problem is I keep getting distracted thinking about CDPR's awfulness. I keep seeing book Geralt in my brain the exact same way I see Game Geralt and my mind keeps wondering to the past Transgressions of the game company despite them having nothing to do with the books at all. I ended up returning the Book only 1/3 read.

If I can't even handle the books without getting upset there's no way will be able to handle the Games or the Netflix adaptation where the characters are designed to look like the game characters.
This is not me Boycotting (I already purchased 3) CDPR I just mentally get upset or Sad whenever I think about the company which will make playing the game or interacting with the Witcher series Impossible for the moment.

This has never happened to me like this before I can usually separate the art from the artist especially if the media is old, But for whatever reason I can't enjoy even tangentially related media to CDPR right Now.

Maybe with time I will be able to play the Witcher and read the books but probably not soon.

Anyone else Have a similar experience either with CDPR or some other Media were a creators actions made it hard to interact with things related to them?
Some people in this thread are being edgy hypocrites, we've all had our share of irrational emotional responses.

All I can say is your feelings on CDPR are valid. If you want to, you could try to work on trying to separate the books and show, just so you can enjoy them yourself, but you don't need to.

You're not shitting on The Witcher because of CDPR's bullshit, you're not doing anything wrong.

Ignore the people acting that way.

It's not hard to separate
It is for some, apparently. Maybe try thinking why that might be with a little empathy.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
tbh, after living in the US for a while (attending a school there for my master degree + work) now every time I saw an all white movies that's set in any periods before 1960 I just can't help but think that this guy or that gal who are a saint/ such a lovable person in the movie are probably racist towards colored people and it ruined my immersion every time

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Well that sucks. I absolutely get why CD Projekt and their works at large would be off-putting to you. But it's unfortunate that it reaches works and people which CD Projekt has no control or influence of. Hopefully you'll be able to give the books a chance later on, though Sapkowski also has non-Witcher literature worth checking out.

The TV series doesn't really take much if anything from the games either, closest is probably Cavill who feels like doing bit of a Doug Cockle impression.

Not sure if similar has happened to me, can't think of anything at the moment. In example Kevin Spacey being in Call of Duty didn't ruin Activision-Blizzard's products for me (Bobby Kotick has been close doing that though, but he is much more relevant to the company and their products).

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
I think people need to read the thread title more carefully I did not say CDPR ruined the Witcher series

I say They Ruined My Enthusiasm for the series.

I am not saying the works unrelated to them got worse somehow. I am saying Me personally as an individual am having a hard time wanting to engage in the Witcher at the moment.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's not hard to separate
Says who? They sure as shit benefited greatly from the Netflix show, were named dropped constantly as inspiration by Cavill in pretty much every big interview and CDPR are so closely linked to the I.P it was actively annoying the author he'd constantly comment on it and complain about it, especially if books where using the games art.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
You're free to feel however you want. If it makes you feel uncomfortable don't worry about it. Maybe some day in the future you will change your mind. No need to force it.
Personally I'm fine with anything that doesn't give cdpr money. So when Witcher 3 gets the ps5 patch I'll probably play it since I won't be giving them more money.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think people need to read the thread title more carefully I did not say CDPR ruined the Witcher series

I am not saying the works unrelated to them got worse somehow. I am saying Me personally as an individual am having a hard time wanting to engage in the Witcher at the moment.
You are just going to get more upset if you expect this to change. If the thread continues it will bring more of that nonsense.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the harsh reactions OP is getting is really baffling to me. I haven't played anything by CDPR nor have I watched or read the Witcher series, so I don't really have any opinion on any of that, but I have absolutely experienced stuff getting unfortunately tainted by association to unpleasant/problematic/etc things. Even when you know those shitty things have nothing to do with the other thing, once they're connected in your head and you can't think of one without also thinking of the other, it's really really hard to break that association. It is an absolutely frustrating experience, and I completely understand where OP's coming from. It's super weird that people are treating it like some kind of witch hunt or mass overreaction when all OP is doing is lamenting about this--imo pretty common--struggle.

OP, I would honestly just give the series space. Time heals a lot, and once the CDPR stuff isn't so fresh that connection won't be as strong in your mind, and you'll have an easier time separating it. Like I said I don't know anything about the series, but I think others' suggestions to research the writers could be a good idea, too; try forming new associations with them and not with the company.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the harsh reactions OP is getting is really baffling to me. I haven't played anything by CDPR nor have I watched or read the Witcher series, so I don't really have any opinion on any of that, but I have absolutely experienced stuff getting unfortunately tainted by association to unpleasant/problematic/etc things. Even when you know those shitty things have nothing to do with the other thing, once they're connected in your head and you can't think of one without also thinking of the other, it's really really hard to break that association. It is an absolutely frustrating experience, and I completely understand where OP's coming from. It's super weird that people are treating it like some kind of witch hunt or mass overreaction when all OP is doing is lamenting about this--imo pretty common--struggle.

OP, I would honestly just give the series space. Time heals a lot, and once the CDPR stuff isn't so fresh that connection won't be as strong in your mind, and you'll have an easier time separating it. Like I said I don't know anything about the series, but I think others' suggestions to research the writers could be a good idea, too; try forming new associations with them and not with the company.
Thank you for making an intelligent response here. Some of the posts in this thread are embarrassing.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I thought their next game would be amazing. My point is clearly that they were put on a pedestal in front of every game studio after making one GOTG contender, which doesn't happen.

Right there with you haha... sorry if I misinterpreted your post. Cyperpunk was so promising until.... it wasn't.

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
You are just going to get more upset if you expect this to change. If the thread continues it will bring more of that nonsense.
The thing is I am not upset just confused. The aggression comment is what keeps getting to me and I keep searching my old post and can't find where I come off as aggressive to any poster here.

My post are not even that aggressive towards CDPR imo.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I am not upset just confused. The aggression comment is what keeps getting to me and I keep searching my old post and can't find where I come off as aggressive to any poster here.

My post are not even that aggressive towards CDPR imo.
I hear you. Replace upset with confuse, then. This place is full of people who will make posts like that, or not even read the OP properly and just jump on the bandwagon.

You could try responding to the people who have engaged with you properly and see if the conversation gets productive.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
You Just edited your post so that says it all on the aggresive front.

No you are not being trolled, belive it or not people are allowed to have a different opinion from your own.

You are the one that has passive aggressive behavior... said he edited his message and labeled his feeling as witch-hunting...like what the hell?

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I get it, and felt the same way for a little bit, but eventually I managed to work through it and divorce it all. It helps that the books and show have strengths that the games never had. For the books, there are far more female perspectives (outside of the short stories that kicked everything off), and for the show it has more diverse casting and thankfully visually doesn't rely too heavily on game aesthetics (see the medallion design).

Combine all that with the games effectively being non-canon "what if?" sequel stories and it's not too tricky.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people on era made them the de facto best devs in the industry after one GOTG game.

giphy.gif

Damn, she's beautiful. Who is that? Ahem, excuse me, back on topic.

While they are terrible, dropped the ball and pretty much ruined their rep with the CP debacle. I will not take away from their previous accomplishments. Witcher 3 was a phenom and is one of my favorite games and I thoroughly enjoyed the Nflix adaptation. I cannot think that way. What I will say is that going forward if I see them continuing down their current road then I will legit be done with them.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I understand where you're coming from OP. The books are really good , and the Netflix show is based on them, while the games are more of an alternate universe thing I think.
I hope the stink of CDPR washes off them

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That sucks OP, I know what it's like to have a franchise you like ruined by morally bankrupt bigots. Perhaps it might be worth taking the time to browse similar franchises? If you find one you click with then you at least have the entirety of it to explore. I've seen a few recommendations in the thread.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
I think this could be an important exercise to build shields and walls for yourself

Just like when someone does something naughty, it doesn't undo their good deeds in the past.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
That's a shame.

The books, games and the series are all really good in their own way and well worth your time if you're into fantasy worlds.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know what you mean OP. It sucks. Thankfully there are many other great games from great developpers about which we can get excited.

Have you ever played the The Elder Scrolls games? They are quite different in design, but it's a fantastic fantasy RPG series about which one can still be excited. I just got my girlfriend to try Skyrim for the first time. I hadnt seen the game in action since 2013. Man. It's such a great game. And there are so many great mods for it too that make the game experience even better.

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed with everyone just saying oh read the books they are totally fine.

Since when have we completely accepted sexism?

OP
OP
jman1954goat

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Just like when someone does something naughty, it doesn't undo their good deeds in the past.
I mean this is kind of debatable.

here is an extreme example.

If a person who does very good deeds and donates a lot of money to charity one day goes on a killing spree.

it would be hard to look at the charity and think about it separate from the killing spree even though they technically have nothing to do with each other.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
If I can't even handle the books without getting upset there's no way will be able to handle the Games or the Netflix adaptation where the characters are designed to look like the game characters.
This is not me Boycotting (I already purchased 3) CDPR I just mentally get upset or Sad whenever I think about the company which will make playing the game or interacting with the Witcher series Impossible for the moment.

This has never happened to me like this before I can usually separate the art from the artist especially if the media is old, But for whatever reason I can't enjoy even tangentially related media to CDPR right Now.

Maybe with time I will be able to play the Witcher and read the books but probably not soon.

Anyone else Have a similar experience either with CDPR or some other Media were a creators actions made it hard to interact with things related to them?

Just let it go then.

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, there's no need to stress yourself over this because at the end of the day it's just another piece of fiction. I guarantee you'll be able to find something new to fall in love with.

There's no need to hold this franchise in high regards like it's sacred and irreplaceable.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People are still very defensive of CDPR, even after all we know about them now. It's ridiculous.

Honestly, just some time away from the series and CDPR news will probably help. It might be easier once the fallout from Cyberpunk 2077 has dissipated.

During the height of #MeToo accusations, I had an uncomfortable experience showing What We Do In The Shadows to my fiance (then girlfriend). It's an amazing movie, one of my favorite recent comedies, but there was just something about hearing about finding "victims" that just felt really strange in that moment, when we were hearing about new victims of sexual harassment/assault every single day--it was just a weird moment in time to be watching a vampire movie (which, as a genre, is intertwined with sex & violence).

I didn't suddenly think the movie was bad. Neither did she--we just couldn't remove it from the context of our real lives at that time.

Yeah, this.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that CDPR has had so much involvement with the Witcher series makes me not want to touch it, even if they were merely adapting a novel series.

Nor any of the people involved with CDPR and that includes Keanu Reeves. Everything connected to this shitty company I'm staying away from.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
OP it doesn't sound like you're in a healthy place right now, so I'd just try not to engage with it at all. If you start going down this rabbit hole then you're going to have to start swearing off every piece of tech you own basically...

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get where you're coming from OP and if you're not enjoying something there's no reason to continue to engage with it. Only advice I can give is maybe check the books out again after some more time has passed and see if it helps remedy things. It's a very good series and worth giving another shot to.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
OP it doesn't sound like you're in a healthy place right now, so I'd just try not to engage with it at all. If you start going down this rabbit hole then you're going to have to start swearing off every piece of tech you own basically...
This isn't true at all.

Some things affect us personally more than others, on an emotional level. This isnt' about extending your morality evenly to all bad things, this is someone having a valid emotiona lresponse to a specific situation.

Even if part of the process might be irrational (as OP themselves has agreed), it doesn't mean the overal decision to distance from the media is not reasonable.

It is healthy to avoid things that make us feel like shit. And while their might be an argument in attempting to separate some of this for your own well being, ultimately... it's just a set of fictional novels and a TV show... this is not something OP absolutely need to engage with, and simply ignoring it and moving along because it causes a negative emotional connection is not going to cause any major harm to anything.

OP doesn't seem to be doing anything here but lamenting that something they enjoyed was tainted because of shitty actions, they acknowledge it's irrational, they have said they might try to give it some space and try again. There's nothing here that's an issue.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
i certainly won't be hyped for any game from CDPR (witcher or otherwise). ...but i'm still hyped for another season of the netflix show.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yeah, I know what you mean OP. It sucks. Thankfully there are many other great games from great developpers about which we can get excited.

Have you ever played the The Elder Scrolls games? They are quite different in design, but it's a fantastic fantasy RPG series about which one can still be excited. I just got my girlfriend to try Skyrim for the first time. I hadnt seen the game in action since 2013. Man. It's such a great game. And there are so many great mods for it too that make the game experience even better.
Not sure if Skyrim is the best recommendation for OP:s situation, considering the composer is (accused) rapist. Can be kinda hard to ignore.
www.resetera.com

Jeremy Soule (Skyrim/Guild Wars 2 Composer) Accused of Rape

http://www.nathalielawhead.com/candybox/calling-out

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is silly. "Healthy" isn't a status based on whether or not you can separate a product from the politics/ethics of its producers/creators.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Really not seeing many posts saying well the books are better but still have some issues with sexism. Do you?
I see many people say the books aren't beholden to CDPR, that's nothing like denial of their own inherent issues.

Again, if you want to make your point, why not just bring up the fact that the books thermselves have their own issues instead of trying to posture above everyone with useless hyperbole?

Last edited:

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
I see many people say the books aren't beholding to CDPR, that's nothing like denial of their own inherent issues.

Again, if you want to make your point, why not just bring up the fact that the books thermselves have their own issues instead of trying to posture above everyone with useless hyperbole?

You might find it useless but I don't. The point is not that the books have problems as well.

The point is that the fact dat CDPR and their ridiculous behaviour is overshadowing the issues that have always been part of the witcher.

And saying that the books and the games stand apart without even considering and/or mentioning the issues with the books is disappointing in my opinion.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You might find it useless but I don't. The point is not that the books have problems as well.

The point is that the fact dat CDPR and their ridiculous behaviour is overshadowing the issues that have always been part of the witcher.

And saying that the books and the games stand apart without even considering and/or mentioning the issues with the books is disappointing in my opinion.
The hyperbole and posturing is 100% usless, it doesn't matter if you don't agree.

You can make your point without it.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
I think you need to work on being able to get out of your own head. CDPR obviously brought Witcher into the mainstream with their games (that I will forever argue actually aren't that good in the first place), but they've had very little to do with the property itself outside of that. Even the show is more book-based, though Cavill injected a bit more of Geralt's game personality into it. Whether you're able to do so is obviously entirely up to you, but you can take some comfort in knowing that the games are a fairly small part in the overall property and it's easy to simply not partake in any part of it that CDPR created.

LinLeigh

Oct 25, 2017
There is no aggression. And if you truly cannot see my point then I don't know what to say. You had a very valid point, but you made it poorly. You should be able to admit that.

The point was that I was disappointed. That is an actual feeling and instead of engaging you jump down my throat because I'm apparently posturing.

Aug 10, 2019
Edit:

Original Post

The plan once The Next Gen versions of the Witcher 3 was announced to explore the whole series [Books then games then Netflix show] and play 3 when the games updated. I already own Witcher 3 and both DLC.( I played 20 hours of Witcher 3 and it's dlc before stopping liked the characters and hated the combat.)

As the year went on It became increasingly clear Upper management of CDPR is really awful and transphobic. Cyberpunk went from a day 1 buy to a never purchase for me.

The thing is I still already own Witcher 3 and figure it's separate enough from cyberpunk for me to play.

A week ago I got The last wish from the library I started reading it and it's a cool book so far the problem is I keep getting distracted thinking about CDPR's awfulness. I keep seeing book Geralt in my brain the exact same way I see Game Geralt and my mind keeps wondering to the past Transgressions of the game company despite them having nothing to do with the books at all. I ended up returning the Book only 1/3 read.

CDPR doesn't deserve your emotional pain OP and neither does the Witcher. Give them both the space you need from them, and if you never see them again all you've missed out on are a few books and video games, no big deal.