• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've actually always wanted Catherine for Vita. Shadow of the Colossus is another Vita game I'd like :)

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It did 260k in Japan and 230k rest of the world (mostly US I think): http://andriasang.com/comyog/ . Not sure how sales splitted in the West, in Japan it was 141,826 on ps3 and 21,936 on 360: https://www.vg247.com/2011/02/23/me...uary-14-20-catherine-moves-over-163000-units/ .
Wait, the game only sold 230k in the west? That's a lot less than I thought considering it did 200k in its first week in NA alone:
Atlus today confirmed, via a cake, it has shipped 200,000 units in its first week in North America.
catherine_cake_1312484536.jpg
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/08/04/catherine-sales-set-atlus-record

So only 30k for Europe and NA (post first week) seems way too low.

TriggerRedd Null Pointer
Can you guys share more details on how vanilla Catherine did in western territories? Is the 230k figure correct?

synic

Oct 27, 2017
NJ
While I never finished this on PS3 I am going to buy this twice for the cross-dressing functionality.

Great job Atlus!

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Never got around to it on ps3. Even though I liked the demo. Was one of thoose games been wanting to play as it's still brought up even before this announcement.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sounds like a good time to jump in, I still haven't got around to playing the PS3 original.

Alus is really weird with their platform choices, they should be putting their games on as many things as possible.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Is there good fan service in this game? Always wanted to try it!

There was some focused on Catherine in the form of a couple scenes and suggestive texts. There wasn't that much but what was there was good and fit the plot /atmosphere very well.
Though the new details say:

• A large amount of new endings, episodes, anime movies, and sexy events are being added.
  • The subtitle "Full Body" was chosen from the wine term, and exemplifies an even richer and somehow more erotic new Catherine.

So I guess they're doubling down for the remaster.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Wait, the game only sold 230k in the west? That's a lot less than I thought considering it did 200k in its first week in NA alone:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/08/04/catherine-sales-set-atlus-record

So only 30k for Europe and NA (post first week) seems way too low.

TriggerRedd Null Pointer
Can you guys share more details on how vanilla Catherine did in western territories? Is the 230k figure correct?

The figure supposedly comes from Index's reported earnings. The game was a late release in Europe so maybe a sizeable part of the fanbase there had already imported it from the US. Nonetheless, those are really good numbers for a niche game like Catherine IMO.

Deleted member 35587

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
London
After checking, i think it makes a bit more sense this isn't coming to pc/nintendo

Katsura Hashino has never directed a game for either of those platforms

Even when he directed SMT: Nocturne, its the only mainline game (apart from nine) that didn't come to a nintendo platform

So maybe its less of a 'atlus loyalty' thing and more about Katsura Hashino's preferences.

Nov 1, 2017
After checking, i think it makes a bit more sense this isn't coming to pc/nintendo

Katsura Hashino has never directed a game for either of those platforms

Even when he directed SMT: Nocturne, its the only mainline game (apart from nine) that didn't come to a nintendo platform

So maybe its less of a 'atlus loyalty' thing and more about Katsura Hashino's preferences.
I think it's more of "let's concentrate on what we can afford and where we think our buying audience is so we can maximize profit" than anything you're saying.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of surprised how tame the original Catherine was in regards to erotic content.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I cannot believe that my Vita is getting a new game that I'm excited about. It's just unreal. I never got around to playing Catherine, so I can't tell you guys how pumped for this I am!

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think adding a third girl is a terrible idea and undermines the core choice of the game, which is more about coming to terms with adulthood and commitment than it is "Pick the sexiest girl!"

Nightwing

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MY THOUGHTS/SPECULATION:
It's possible that if/when the game is announced for the West, it will be releasing on more platforms such as Xbox One.
Hahahahaha LOL haaa switch and PC are more likely. But XB1? Real talk - majority Xbox gamer don't like game that they feel too anime for them.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I was always interested in this game but didn't possess a 360 any more, by the time it released.

Oct 28, 2017
There was some focused on Catherine in the form of a couple scenes and suggestive texts. There wasn't that much but what was there was good and fit the plot /atmosphere very well.
Though the new details say:

So I guess they're doubling down for the remaster.
The few scenes that had it were in context and in fact necessary to the plot. Somewhat. Sort of. I wpuld hope that they don't decide to add more "sexy scenes" for no reason in a tasteless manner that does not fit the narrative.

Oct 25, 2017
I think adding a third girl is a terrible idea and undermines the core choice of the game, which is more about coming to terms with adulthood and commitment than it is "Pick the sexiest girl!"
I completely agree, but that bit of information that says that the new girl will unlock more stuff for the other two makes me a bit hopeful that it's more of a new important character than an actual "third route".

Bongodaddy

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't expecting this level of added content - this is amazing! This just shot up as one of my most anticipated titles for 2018.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, we have absolutely no idea what role she plays in the story yet, so it's pretty hard to say that the inclusion of an additional character undermines the narrative without knowing anything about the character.

Nov 1, 2017
From the description of the new character it sounds like she'll make Vincent a better person through her artistic and gentle nature. Having an option of cheating with someone who isn't so obviously a bad influence like Catherine would be an interesting plot.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
that new Catherine looks and reads like trash but it's what I expect from ATLUS female additions to their old games as of late.

The rest seems cool so I probably will buy it.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I completely agree, but that bit of information that says that the new girl will unlock more stuff for the other two makes me a bit hopeful that it's more of a new important character than an actual "third route".
Yeah, and also it says there's the choice of traditional mode. So I'll withhold final judgement, I just have my guard up.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

Based on them actually handling that character growth well in the core game, I'd assume they're not transforming the game into a straight-up "choose your boo" game. Especially with the description in the OP of the new character. It actually sounds like a character who, while surely attractive for Vincent, is more about conveying experience about relationships than being a "target."

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So awesome! I actually played this game on the Vita. Through PS NOW when it was available on the Vita

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Look as long as they fix the Tower based game that had that god awful bug that prevented us from 100% the first game Im all good. Catherine was a blast to play and I love that we are getting another return to it.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the description of the new character it sounds like she'll make Vincent a better person through her artistic and gentle nature. Having an option of cheating with someone who isn't so obviously a bad influence like Catherine would be an interesting plot.
If you see this as a way to role-play and act out a fantasy, sure, but again, I think it undermines the core theme that made this a compelling piece of storytelling. Catherine represents "temptation" and youth, and it's about more than just who she is as a person. Making it about multiple people dilutes that theme.