hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
I'm trying to beat the wolf like boss in COTM but I don't have any cards yet except for the first one...is that normal? Do I need to grind already? Or am I missing something very obvious
The cards are dropped by particular enemies, but they don't have particularly great drop rates unfortunately! This collection has a handy feature where you get a pop-up if an enemy is one that could potentially drop a card, which makes it a bit easier than back in the day where you didn't really know unless you happened to get the card (or consulted a walkthrough).

Oct 26, 2017
I jumped over to Aria, and it's even better than I remembered it. I still think Dawn is superior, but it's a damn good game, with much fewer annoyances than Circle. Having all these soul options makes it really varied. Also, cat subweapon rocks.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The map in HoD is pretty convoluted and having it be doubled is definitely daunting, but I think the QoL feature of having key items listed on the side helps a lot. I'm having fun with it.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i forgot about the music in HoD 😂 what the hell am i listening to? i'm other too high or not high enough for this.

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The dragon zombies in CotM... aaargh!
I found a way to cheese that one.

Go to the far left side of the room and let the left head slam against the wall. Get a couple of hits in, then quickly slide under it to the right. Wait for it to move its head back up, and then move back to the left. Jump and get a few hits in. Let it slam against the wall, rinse and repeat. Once the left head's dead, you can do the same thing to the one on the right.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there any way to cheese the girl who summoned dracula in the sewers? because that's the only way i'm going back to that one.

this is a really great value at $20.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they overcorrected so hard from CotM that HoD feels like an acid trip instead of a scary castle. i would have appreciated some brightness settings.. black does not exist in this game, just light grey.

hamghost

Sep 1, 2019
I found a way to cheese that one.

Go to the far left side of the room and let the left head slam against the wall. Get a couple of hits in, then quickly slide under it to the right. Wait for it to move its head back up, and then move back to the left. Jump and get a few hits in. Let it slam against the wall, rinse and repeat. Once the left head's dead, you can do the same thing to the one on the right.
It worked, thank you!

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Yoooo! Circle of the Moon is amazing! I can't believe it didn't click when I played it 15 years ago. I think I was a bit thrown off by the movement speed (you can tell I started with SotN lol) and how the levels felt almost stretched vertically, if that makes any sense.

But after giving it more time, having access to all the QoL features, and not having to deal with the dim GBA screen, I'm loving it lol.
Yeah, its a good game hidden in som bafling design decisions (ans rather sloooooow and stiff movement)
i forgot about the music in HoD 😂 what the hell am i listening to? i'm other too high or not high enough for this.
it has some good ones...and some really bad ones...
they overcorrected so hard from CotM that HoD feels like an acid trip instead of a scary castle. i would have appreciated some brightness settings.. black does not exist in this game, just light grey.
i love the trippy optics, but i get why people did not like it.
it doesnt even pretend to be a castle, wich makes it kinda unique.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So glad people are enjoying CotM. That was my first Castlevania as well. I got that and F-Zero on launch day and spent the day at the beach. So, the dim screen wasn't that big of deal at the moment.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Y'all should check out this playlist of songs across the series arranged with Akumajou Densetsu's VRC6 chip. The GBA trilogy in particular sounds nice.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Bought this for old nostalgic reasons, which is very silly but it is what it is. Fun to view the games with a more critical adult eye.

Interesting how in HoD they clearly added the weird colorful outlines to things and increased the size in response to the visibility concerns of CotM at the time. Plus the after image when you jump/dash. It all seems jarringly unnecessary now on big old blown up bright HD screens.

One thing that particular stands out on CotM is how annoying double tapping to dash is, and how the height of jumps is just misaligned enough with the height of most candles to be annoying. They fixed this little detail in HoD, both by tuning the height and having lots of tall candle sticks that you can hit from both the ground and air. Having to break every damn candle for a while b/c you don't know where your favorite weapon is is REALLY grating design though. I hate that!

Overall a fun nostalgia trip, CotM especially was a great early GBA game, but I'd probably tell someone unfamiliar to instead play one of the dozens of newer more modern metroidvanias. Unless of course you are looking at it with a historian's eye of curiosity. I haven't gotten to Aria yet, and never owned it back in the day.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Wow, the Cross is so OP in CotM it's not even funny. It makes the big enemies a breeze if you hit the sweetspot. My greatest fear now is that I accidentally grab a different weapon and then fall down a pit so I can't get the Cross back.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I swear the Arena in Aria of Sorrow is such a sudden difficulty spike, they saw they were making a colosseum esque area and decided it needed to be packed to the gills with absolute tanky units, and then Balore, man I don't even with this guy, he's playing on another level to every previous boss, just jankily wobbling his crushing hands around with a complete lack of clarity, oh that slight shuffle was actually a punch, eat 100 plus damage.
And that last resort beam spam, which I actually kinda love for how unrelenting it gets with no warning when he's right on the verge of death.

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I swear the Arena in Aria of Sorrow is such a sudden difficulty spike, they saw they were making a colosseum esque area and decided it needed to be packed to the gills with absolute tanky units, and then Balore, man I don't even with this guy, he's playing on another level to every previous boss, just jankily wobbling his crushing hands around with a complete lack of clarity, oh that slight shuffle was actually a punch, eat 100 plus damage.
And that last resort beam spam, which I actually kinda love for how unrelenting it gets with no warning when he's right on the verge of death.
I almost feel like Balore is the game's way of saying "Hey asshole, farm for that Medusa Head soul!"

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
1 Question 1 Thought:

1) Did they improve the sound that is typical of GBA games (so to speak)? I know you can't match redbook audio like in SOTN, but it was quite jarring going from that to Aria, even with nice headphones.

Also 1) I wonder if they'll make a collection based on the DS games.

EDIT:

Another 1) why is that Super Nintendo game in this collection not popular? I haven't played it (or heard much about it in the past).

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Finally put down Dracula in CoTM. It's a bit easier if you have the DSS Combo that makes the rose sword that has that that arcing motion since it helps with the blood bubble attack and his second phase in general. Still kind of a lot in a game where there isn't much in the way of reliable healing unless you farm for it. (And basically every enemy with health drops worth farming are among the most annoying to deal with)

JqaHbuZ.jpg

I do dig the little crown icon in the corner showing up once you beat a game, though.

Honestly, I liked the original Anniversary Collection's UI, but this is definitely a step up in presentation, I think.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So many people will finally experience aria of sorrow, probably the best Castlevania ever.

And Circle of the Moon has a stellar soundtrack.

So many memories from both

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Another 1) why is that Super Nintendo game in this collection not popular? I haven't played it (or heard much about it in the past).
Dracula X is based on the PC Engine CD / TurboGrafx-16 game Rondo of Blood. Rondo was exclusive to Japan until the PSP, and instead of porting Rondo to the SNES and localizing it back in the day, Capcom made Dracula X more of a reimagining. They're basically two different games.

Dracula X has:
  • a similar, though slightly altered, story
  • redesigned or entirely different levels (also there are fewer of them, and they're more linear than the ones in Rondo)
  • one playable character, as opposed to the two in Rondo
  • rearranged boss orders (additionally, some bosses were replaced with new ones or removed entirely)
  • an updated/different soundtrack
I should probably clarify I've never played either game; I'm just saying what I've read on the wiki and what I've seen others say. That said, while Rondo is definitely more popular, I've seen some people say that Dracula X is still a good game.

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I almost feel like Balore is the game's way of saying "Hey asshole, farm for that Medusa Head soul!"
I've never had this soul, I just googled it and damn, that's pretty neat.

And I don't know why I googled because the in game encylopedia added to this collection lets me scroll through a whole list of souls and their abilities with a nice visual aid, rad.
If only I read this before I just grinded werejaguars hoping for a badass uppercut and ended up with a lame punch, turns out weretigers just across the street actually do have a sick uppercut

Oct 26, 2017
1 Question 1 Thought:

1) Did they improve the sound that is typical of GBA games (so to speak)? I know you can't match redbook audio like in SOTN, but it was quite jarring going from that to Aria, even with nice headphones.

EDIT:

1) It's slightly improved simply because it's not pushing the sound through a GBA here, but it's nowhere near Redbook. Circle sounds decent, Harmony sounds horrible and Aria sounds great.

1) Probably eventually. Those games are even better than these three.

1) Dracula X is basically a romhack where they took all the sprites from Rondo of Blood and drew new backgrounds and made a fairly short, janky game without the awesome parts of Rondo (the music, the non-linearity and the music). It's fine for what it is, but it's definitely in the bottom half of Castlevanias. Also, it's a straight action game unlike these three Metroidvanias.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
How did they get Aria to sound better and look better just like a year later? Always amazed by that.

Kolma

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
"Harmony of Dissonance" AKA what even are words
I'm more upset that Konami reused the initials for Harmony of Despair because they wanted Castlevania HD. Which I really hope Konami would rerelease cause having this game in 4k would be really amazing as would having it with local multiplayer on Switch.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
One more question before I pull the trigger: I'm guessing on PS4 it's O= A (jump), X=B (attack) in terms of controls, so will I be using O for confirm, X to cancel?
Doesn't bother me either way, just curious. I'd sooner have confirm on O, cancel on X than attack on O, jump on X though.
You can remap all inputs to your liking using the Collection settings that are available at any time by pressing L2/LT/ZL.

This new port has higher quality music. You can switch it off in the Options Menu, but frankly I could barely tell the difference.
It does have a high quality FILTER but the music and sounds are kept the same as they were upon their GBA releases. Just wanted to clarify so people don't think there are any Collection Arrange versions of the game tracks.

are save points in CoTM scarce or did I just miss one? Fought the first gargoyle boss twice then died in the next room over twice and had to fully restart the game x_x
They are scarce and that gargoyle enemy (earth demon) is just a normal enemy but I thought it was a boss my first run through as well and it blew my mind when I finally learned the pattern and realized it was just a random enemy. Aside from slamming into you with it's flight pattern (that can get a bit twitchy) look at the ground when it brings it's hand up to its face to intone a spell. The ground should flicker on one side of your character very subtly, that's your tell as to which side the wave of stalagmites are going to rush you, just stay calm (get some space from the mob if you need to) and simply jump over the stalagmites, just a simple jump can clear the hitbox.

Don't be shy to use the rewind function as while some of what I'm about to say is due to the game's uneven (at times) design, it is actively trying to kill you as if it were a classic Castlevania game compared to the more "gentlemanly" difficulty that SotN and HoD onwards tend to go for.

I'm trying to beat the wolf like boss in COTM but I don't have any cards yet except for the first one...is that normal? Do I need to grind already? Or am I missing something very obvious
You get 2 cards as a guaranteed drop, one from skeleton bombers and one from bone dragon heads in the very second screen. Otherwise yes my first run thru CotM Cerberus kicked my ass hard and for a first boss it can get out of hand rq. There's no shame in using the rewind feature especially for CotM as it can get uneven at times (was the teams first and last Metroidvania and a launch game that was released day and date with the GBA system).

is there any way to cheese the girl who summoned dracula in the sewers? because that's the only way i'm going back to that one.
this is a really great value at $20.
You can glitch summon cards out to abuse iframes if you need to (if you REALLY need invulnerability use the right most card in the top row and the second from the right card for the bottom row, you can't be killed but you also can't damage anything).
Y'all should check out this playlist of songs across the series arranged with Akumajou Densetsu's VRC6 chip. The GBA trilogy in particular sounds nice.

Yea, they're one of my favorite CV arrangers, Out of time and N64 version of sinking sanctuary is 😍😍😍
1 Question 1 Thought:
EDIT:
The Improved audio only reduces some of the hissing that was present in GBA OSTs but it doesn't have like HQ audio files or anything. I know more people notice some hissing on PC for this Collection release (just eyeballing some PC experience ppl have posted on the net in general) but I think it sounds fine on PS5 but having played all 3 GBA games I'm familiar with the actual hissing from the originals and I'm probably measuring what hissing remains in this collection (since the filter doesn't exactly remove all of it) to that "unfiltered" quality.

The SNES entry is a SNES adaptation of Rondo with only 7 levels but the music is p damn lit (it has my favorite version of Divine Bloodlines, as it's far more "punchy" and I like that personally), don't compare it to Rondo 1:1 and just treat it like a just as difficult (perhaps more so at times) alternative retelling minus unlockable Maria and minus the Rondo cutscenes and myriad of branching stages.

Offense and Defense is pretty good

Yea it gives a feeling of movement that really matches with the tempo of Juste's dashing which is why I can still enjoy a decent amount of that OST even if some songs make me do a face (which doesn't occur as I'm playing cuz it's not bad enough to where it takes me out of my gameplay)

How did they get Aria to sound better and look better just like a year later? Always amazed by that.
They took really good notes of w/e tf went wrong with HoD and what went right with it to give out a more balanced game in terms of visuals and sound.
I'm more upset that Konami reused the initials for Harmony of Despair because they wanted Castlevania HD. Which I really hope Konami would rerelease cause having this game in 4k would be really amazing as would having it with local multiplayer on Switch.
Big same, saw it on PS4 but then saw it was PSNow. Loved it back on the 360. Never tried it with the PS exclusive co-op mode.

Last edited:

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
"Harmony of Dissonance" AKA what even are words

Thats not an uncommon writing technique. Heck, half of the catalogue of
Modest Mouse is based on those kind of combinations.

Bought this for old nostalgic reasons, which is very silly but it is what it is. Fun to view the games with a more critical adult eye.

Interesting how in HoD they clearly added the weird colorful outlines to things and increased the size in response to the visibility concerns of CotM at the time. Plus the after image when you jump/dash. It all seems jarringly unnecessary now on big old blown up bright HD screens.

One thing that particular stands out on CotM is how annoying double tapping to dash is, and how the height of jumps is just misaligned enough with the height of most candles to be annoying. They fixed this little detail in HoD, both by tuning the height and having lots of tall candle sticks that you can hit from both the ground and air. Having to break every damn candle for a while b/c you don't know where your favorite weapon is is REALLY grating design though. I hate that!

Overall a fun nostalgia trip, CotM especially was a great early GBA game, but I'd probably tell someone unfamiliar to instead play one of the dozens of newer more modern metroidvanias. Unless of course you are looking at it with a historian's eye of curiosity. I haven't gotten to Aria yet, and never owned it back in the day.
Good take. Yeah,. CotM and HoD both have their merits, but their flaws.
I never had a problem with Balore, but i think i always used the time before for some exploration and hade some op goto souls there like red minotaur or such.

1 Question 1 Thought:

EDIT:

to 1: not directly, its not going through the GBA speaker/Amp, but its still the same generated sounds
in regards to 1: i asume they will after the first 2 collections
to the third 1: its an okay classic castlevania, a truncated version of a better game.
Its not an igavania, so kinda weird to see it on this collection. It would have worked better in a different collection (Say, Rondo, Symphony, and the Rondo remake on the PSP)

I honestly hope for 3 following collections: the mentioned with Symphony, Rondo and the Rondo Remake
One for the Lords of Shadow Series
and one for the DS games.
Maybe add the N64 games to the first of those...

Offense and Defense is pretty good

Yeah, i really like that one

Deleted member 34949

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Playing these at a pretty good clip is making me want a compilation of the DS trinity even more (despite owning the original carts).

Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin have by far the best unlockable content in the series, and the latter straight up has the coolest goddamn Dracula fight in the entire series. I specifically remember even review publications at the time saying PoR's final boss sequence was something special.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can glitch summon cards out to abuse iframes if you need to (if you REALLY need invulnerability use the right most card in the top row and the second from the right card for the bottom row, you can't be killed but you also can't damage anything)
thanks, this finally got me out!

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I played Dawn and Ecclesia a couple years ago, but Portrait of Ruin is the only Igavania I haven't replayed. I remember having extremely mixed feelings about upon release, but after watching play through videos, I realized a lot of my misgivings were exaggerated. I have a feeling it might end up my fave DS Iganvia.

Jun 26, 2021
Pleasantly surprised by the compilation. The emulation is REALLY good. Whatever they did to enhance the audio quality, it really shines through. This is a step above what I've experienced with mGBA on retro arch with a very capable pc.

The pixel perfect resolution mode looks great. The input lag is some of the best I've seen of emulation on the system. The rewind system works well. The in-border game tracking system (whatever they named it) is well integrated and particularly helps with the DSS collecting.

The bonuses are a nice touch too. This is definitely a more refined and polished release on Switch than the Castlevania classic collection.

I highly recommend, even for those who have perfect emulation systems setup already. The bonuses here make it worth it, especially whatever they did with the audio.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I played Dawn and Ecclesia a couple years ago, but Portrait of Ruin is the only Igavania I haven't replayed. I remember having extremely mixed feelings about upon release, but after watching play through videos, I realized a lot of my misgivings were exaggerated. I have a feeling it might end up my fave DS Iganvia.
The same thing happened to me after replaying HoD. It's not my favorite but I really enjoyed replaying it. It's a great game to replay. Fast, short and to the point. No filler or grind and it controls smoothly.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT:

It's a very weird thing that there isn't anything else to compare it to. In theory, it's a port/remake of Castlevania Rondo of Blood from the PC engine, but it's a dismal failure at being that- all the stuff that made Rondo interesting- multiple paths through levels, multiple characters, having a real story/cutscenes- NONE of that made it here. The levels share some aspects but are mostly just remade from scratch, and the game feels more like an NES game than the other 16 bit era games Super 4 and Bloodlines. About the only nice thing you could say is that the graphics are improved from the PC engine- it's easy to tell in the first level
ZenzSftCph4GSxIBjDzz-vIG-dqNl5p5dbWp8-HBCTo.jpg

If you seperate it out from the fact that its supposed to be Rondo, it's not a bad game in it's own right, it's just really, really hard (something emulator re-winds addresses), and it feels "old".

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised by the compilation. The emulation is REALLY good. Whatever they did to enhance the audio quality, it really shines through. This is a step above what I've experienced with mGBA on retro arch with a very capable pc.

The pixel perfect resolution mode looks great. The input lag is some of the best I've seen of emulation on the system. The rewind system works well. The in-border game tracking system (whatever they named it) is well integrated and particularly helps with the DSS collecting.

The bonuses are a nice touch too. This is definitely a more refined and polished release on Switch than the Castlevania classic collection.

I highly recommend, even for those who have perfect emulation systems setup already. The bonuses here make it worth it, especially whatever they did with the audio.
Plus for the PC release you can extract the roms if you really must have some of your favorite mods from over the years (IDK about shoving those modded files back into the Collection and if that causes issues though) but I'm definitely waiting for a sale for PC since I double dipped and bought it for switch and PSN Day 1

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
oh crap, forgot that...then maybe a port Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles ?

That one had SotN and Rondo as unlockables...

That's what Requiem is with the 2.5D remake of Rondo torn out and the unlockables given their own custom wrapper to launch the games included in Requiem.

If we see SotN on Nintendo Switch it will be the XBLA version of the game and that's if Nintendo and MS play ball to the point that Konami would be incentivized to do so. Could easily just offer the VC Rondo release with a bespoke translation ala the situation with Seiken Densetsu 3 for the Switch Mana Collection, along with that hypothetical SotN but they might not be able to use the Requiem version of the Rondo Script and those cutscenes are voiced (but could easily leave those in Japanese if they can get the VA rights) so Konami would REALLY need to be incentivized.
^
I don't think any of the above has a real chance of happening but it's the only path of least resistance I could think of off the top of my head.