Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

General information
  • Developer: M2​
  • Publisher: Konami​
  • Genres: Action Platformer (Dracula X), "Metroidvania" (CotM, HoD, AoS)​
  • Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 (compatible with PS5), Xbox One (compatible with Series X|S), Windows (via Steam)​
  • Release date: September 23, 2021​
  • Price: $19.99 USD​
  • Digital-only release (per the official website)​
Official website

Previous Castlevania OTs
Official description

Join the fight against Evil in the Castlevania Advance Collection, a compilation of timeless action-exploration masterpieces!

In addition to the three legendary Castlevania games that were first released in the early 2000s, this collection also includes Castlevania: Dracula X and some never-before-seen sketches and artwork from the games!

All four games are enhanced with newly added modern features such as Rewind, Save/Load and Replay, making this the best way possible to experience these classics or discover them for the first time! This collection also boasts a handy Encyclopedia, a Music Player with all soundtracks and you can even change the ROM Region to play all games in different versions.

*The game is playable on PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X|S through backwards compatibility.

New features
  • Browse through scans of the original package designs and discover incredible artwork never shown to the public before.
  • Listen to any of four complete soundtracks any time you want. You can even create your own playlists!
  • New 'Quality of Life' Features: Rewind and Quick Save
    • You can now rewind the state of the game for a few seconds for a second chance. It is almost like being resurrected…
    • You can now quickly save and reload at any point in the game. Even right before that deadly attack from Dracula himself.
  • ROM Region Selection: You can choose between the Japanese, American, and European versions for each game.
  • Encyclopedia: Detailed information on enemies, the 'DSS' system, the 'Tactical Soul' system and the 'Spell Fusion' system will help you truly master each game's unique combat system!
J2K7vra.jpg

Castlevania: Dracula X (1995, Super Nintendo)

Gear up as Richter Belmont, equipped with the legendary Vampire Killer, in his strife to save his beloved. Battling against the monsters that lurk in the shadows, strategically using magical tomes, mystical power-ups and titanic weapons and discovering secret bonus levels. Unfold another chapter in the Belmont family's lineage, with over 7 stages of grim encounters and a myriad of possibilities depending on the choices that you make. Castlevania: Dracula X is a reimagining of 1993's Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, featuring redesigned levels and changed gameplay.

UwQmX1V.jpg

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (2001, Game Boy Advance)

Count Dracula has resurrected once more, and he seeks his vengeance on those who oppose him. As Nathan Graves, you must storm Dracula's castle to save your mentor, who will otherwise be used to restore Dracula to his full power. Battle the evil lord's minions with your trusty whip, and gain experience points as well as other useful items and weapons. Defeat bosses and gain special abilities that aid in exploring new areas of the castle. Use the Dual Set-Up System to combine action and attribute cards to create over 80 unique magic spells. Hours of monster-slaying action await you in five different game modes. Can you rid the world of Dracula's evil once and for all?

HwBibah.jpg

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (2002, Game Boy Advance)

Fifty years have passed since Simon Belmont rescued the land from the curse of Dracula. Now, Simon's descendant Juste Belmont must go to Dracula's castle to find his missing friend, Lydie Erlanger. Explore the old castle grounds as you fight off grisly monsters using the trusty Vampire Killer and an assortment of holy weaponry. Use Spell Fusion to combine sub-weapons and spells to create up to 30 new attacks. Acquire the relics of Dracula to stall his next rising, unravel the disappearance of Lydie and solve the sudden case of amnesia that has befallen on childhood friend Maxim Kischine. The castle's enchanting mysteries and danger await all those who dare enter.

F8PKP6X.jpg

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (2003, Game Boy Advance)

The year is 2035, and Soma Cruz is about to witness the first solar eclipse of the 21st century when he suddenly blacks out—only to awaken inside a mysterious castle. As Soma, you must navigate the castle's labyrinths while confronting perilous monsters at every turn with physical attacks and magical spells. Using the Tactical Soul system, collect souls of enemies to learn their abilities and equip them to activate new powers. But beware—you must escape before evil consumes you! Once you've survived the horrors of the castle, there are four other modes waiting for you to try.

Screenshots

p9KEQGc.jpg

huded52.jpg

zKCMWr5.jpg

xMuArOG.jpg

aZlhURq.jpg

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played Aria a shit ton but never too deep on the other two. Might as well give them a shot if they're good enough.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro game collectors in absolute shambles right now. Pricecharting having a meltdown. /s

Thanks for the OP! Excited to relive these again. More importantly, I'm happy more people can finally experience these gems at a fantastic price. This really is an incredible value.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Always here for M2 retro collections.

If there's a physical, it will almost certainly be from LRG a few months (or more) down the line. Though there might be an Asia region release too.

Anyway, time to see if Circle of the Moon holds up. No lamps needed this time!

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
Playing Circle of the Moon right now. I've played it before but I forgot how much fun this is. The "DSS" system is very cool. Nathan moves a little more sluggishly than Alucard but this is a GBA game after all, it's not going to control like SOTN.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Sony hurry the fuck up before I fold and buy it on Switch, I need to be playing this tonight!

Hopefully this leads to a DS collection and 3D collection.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Great OT! Come on, just release them on the PlayStation Store already!
I have the feeling we will eventually see the 3D Collection including GOAT Curse of Darkness.

Waiting for this to drop on PSN. Hope it's sooner than later. Can't wait to dive into this.

Will likely play Aria first and then the others. Dracula X is the more "frustrating" of the group so may save that for last unless I feel an urge to give it a go.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Make way for a whole new generation of gamers to complain about CoTM's double-tap to run.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
do these play similarly to symphony of the night? are they scaled down in comparison?

I played thru and enjoyed bloodstained: ROTN fairly recently but have never played thru a castlevania

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Really can't wait to finally play these - big gap in my gaming history.

Deleted member 1963

do these play similarly to symphony of the night? are they scaled down in comparison?

I played thru and enjoyed bloodstained: ROTN fairly recently but have never played thru a castlevania
Circle of the Moon was basically the spiritual successor to SotN.

It's real good. I've never played the others though.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
So like, is there a specific reason why Dracula X is there? I mean, is there some kind of connection to those games either in the story or development or is it just purely there for added value? Just curious, because that seems so random

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
I appreciate the extra features (and Dracula X), but I think that the GBA games of all games really needed some option for scanline filters, so maybe I'll get it for PC

JT60564

Oct 19, 2020
So like, is there a specific reason why Dracula X is there? I mean, is there some kind of connection to those games either in the story or development or is it just purely there for added value? Just curious, because that seems so random

Doesn't seem to be any reason other than "we should have included this in the earlier collection but couldn't"

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disappointed that there are no filters whatsoever, GBA games really need it on a big screen.

But happy that were getting these anyway, and the pricing is very fair. Hopefully we will get the DS games next!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Man, I'm visiting my parents today, and while playing Circle of the Moon I just noticed I'm sitting in the very same room I played it in for the first time 20 years ago. Damn.

With the exception of Dracula X, they're in the mold of SoTN, yeah. If you enjoyed Bloodstained, Aria of Sorrow in particular is probably specifically up your alley; it's shard system is quite literally cribbed from Aria's soul system.

Soooo what are the regional difference in theese games outside of language and the hz of the SNES title?
Not much outside of some small references changed in HoD (The bullet tip item is actually overtly a reference to Castlevania The Adventure in the Japanese version) and I think you also level up quicker in the Japanese version of CoTM as well.

ponzu_boy

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting on impressions of these vs emulator. If these ports end up being good, I'll play them in my Castlevania marathon when I finally reach the GBA games.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Can barely remember yesterday, but remember where a secret room in CotM is 20 years later. Its good to see my brain still has its priorities straight.

Playing Circle of the Moon right now. I've played it before but I forgot how much fun this is. The "DSS" system is very cool. Nathan moves a little more sluggishly than Alucard but this is a GBA game after all, it's not going to control like SOTN.

I have always loved the DSS system, finding the monsters with the cards, the mystery of figuring out each combination, how to set it off and get it to work, it was good stuff.

Deleted member 1963

ah, good to know. maybe I'll play SOTN first then
They're not really related story-wise or anything. SotN was just the first "metroidvania" and CotM continued that formula.

SotN is of course an all-time classic though, and definitely the superior game.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
CotM despite having recurring series standout tracks, really put in the work to how they're arranged which is the right way to do it if you ever re-use tracks.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For new players, I'd recommend using the new Encyclopedia feature if you're ever stuck trying to figure out DSS combinations.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Looking back my GBA was mostly used to play those games. I always wanted to go back and replay them so I could have a better feel on all the combat options. Buying asap.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Gonna be fun watching people experience CotM's soundtrack for the first time

also every CotM rearrangement is better than any Smash CV remix, not sorry

OP
OP
Lukar

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017