admataY

Oct 25, 2017
Remember one of the very first scene in the entire MCU , when an american weapon manufacturer get hit in Afghanistan by a weapon he himself made ?
anyway, enough with the politics already , it has no place in the MCU !

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was generic as hell. I also haven't seen shaky cam, edit-Happy action camera work like that since Eagle Eye.

The more recent Marvel phases - which aren't masterpieces by any stretch, have for a while now been a good deal better than this forgettable fluff. This was Dark World generic.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I'm out of this thread so I guess you guys "won".

QuerulousImperfectIbis-small.gif

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
How so? Thought they were a business and not a political movement? I guess they're going to have to take their punches if they decide they want to be the latter.
All art is political, whether it be abstract existentialist explorations or blockbuster crowdpleasers. The biggest brand in the world right now having their first female-led film was inherently going to be a political affront to some dumb motherfuckers on its own, and the actress daring to ask for inclusiveness was more than enough for their fragile fucking egos to flip shit about it. Nobody made this more than it was until the incel motherfuckers pissing their pants online decided to throw a tantrum.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
being honest... 100% honest. yeah, it is a little lacking, and it's not quite the event we thought it was going to be

but if we all play the RT game... i genuinely can't think why anyone would see it as a 5/10 film

i mean 5/10???... that's skyscraper, jupiter ascending, terminator genisys territory

captain marvel is a very solid enjoyable 7/10

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
being honest... 100% honest. yeah, it is a little lacking, and it's not quite the event we thought it was going to be

but if we all play the RT game... i genuinely can't think why anyone would see it as a 5/10 film

i mean 5/10???... that's skyscraper, jupiter ascending, terminator genisys territory

Kind of offtopic but speaking of skyscraper I finally saw it and Christ. More like 2/10 movie lol

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
Yeah, this movie is getting review bombed hard. If you look through the reviews on RT its people talking about "sjw agenda" and "I'm a white Male so this probably isn't made for me".

I mean, how fucking weak of a man are you when you are so easily offended by Brie's comments.

Oct 28, 2017
This movie was generic as hell. I also haven't seen shaky cam, edit-Happy action camera work like that since Eagle Eye.

The more recent Marvel phases - which aren't masterpieces by any stretch, have for a while now been a good deal better than this forgettable fluff. This was Dark World generic.

Ugh I've become really sensitive to shaky-cam action as of late. I hate badly chopped up action. Seeing it Sunday with a small group. Still looking forward to it! That said, I HIGHLY doubt this movie is Dark World generic.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saw it last night. Mediocre. As you watch it, it becomes quite predictable because you've seen this structure too many times in previous mcu movies. Action was mostly cringe worthy.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, this movie is getting review bombed hard. If you look through the reviews on RT its people talking about "sjw agenda" and "I'm a white Male so this probably isn't made for me".

I mean, how fucking weak of a man are you when you are so easily offended by Brie's comments.

There are several very easily identifiable key words that should be auto-moderated from that section and "SJW" is one of them. The people posting, that use that word, are such idiots that I bet if they just auto-deleted reviews with that word in it they wouldn't have the ability to express themselves at all. RT needs to use some ingenuity here.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Watched it last night

...i was expecting much better tbh, vastly preferred WW especially for the action sequences

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Loved it!

Loved Ben Mendelssohn, he was such a great character. I thought the plot was hardy predictable unless you've read a lot about it before online... I mean, I worked on the movie and I had no idea where they were going with it.

Really though Goose and Fury were the standout, though. Brie was great, loved her cockiness.

Nov 1, 2017

Skyscraper and Genisys are definitely lower than a 5/10. 4/10 tops.

Also Jupiter Ascending is good.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Well, some of writers I follow these days are Matt Zoller Seitz, Brian Tallerico, Emily Yoshida, and David Ehlrich among others.

But I think another key distinction on a good review is that the work is put in -- it's clearly well thought out, researched, and constructed like a really convincing pitch that takes into account what you will possibly feel as well.

Jahns and Stuckmann pretty much sound like they just scribbled a few short notes and talked at a camera for an hour then edited it down to size.

I gave their work a look and I thought it was more or less what I expected. Basically people sayign why they liked or disliked a movie, which is exactly what reviews are I suppose, but also why I mostly ignore them.

Just so that it doesn't feel I dislike everything, one example of a review that I liked is AV Club's Sicario review. And the reason is that I felt this review gave me an extra insight into the film, something that might not have been obvious. It added to my experience of the film. Also, I find Film Crit Hulk to be very good, although I'm not sure I would consider his articles reviews.

Anyway, in a more generic tone, I think reviewers should try to give their audiences tools to understand their point of view. For example, I didn't like Captain Marvels action scenes. If I wrote a review about that, I would try to make people understand why I didn't like them, rather than just say I didn't and throw some adjectives in there.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
The user reviews are going to be so damaging, it's already looking quite average from the professional critics, but the user reviews on imdb and metacritic is going to turn a lot of people away from this film.

I hope Disney is going to reflect on their PR antics because they've clearly caused more harm than good.
The movie was mediocre at best. It's not just based on PR. Which I could care less about

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
It was okay. I think I'm pretty fatigued on super hero movies though. The whole theater was losing their shit at the ties to Avengers 4 and stuff and I feel like I was the only one sitting there like "yep, that was an alright movie".

Nov 1, 2017
Whaaat? No. A story where a young toilet cleaner turns out to be a choosen princess trying to protecting planet earth from a real estate agent conglomerate is in no way good.

Yeah it is cuz that's fucking wild and rad as hell. It's over the top but that's the point. I'd take a movie like that over your typical generic blockbuster like Skyscraper any day

Nov 1, 2017
Imo what makes a critic good is if they're able to have takes on movies other than "this was good/bad"

There's some famous quote or something that says "Being a critic isn't about having an opinion, it's about being able to defend it". So many of these YouTube reviewers just spend ten minutes nitpicking plot holes and pacing issues. It's not good criticism. That's stuff that anybody can pick out.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Well, reactions in the numerous threads about the film here on Era are actually quite positive. It doesn't look like general audiences will share your opinion on "mediocre at best."

As far as the user reviews go, that is almost completely based on alt-right trolls online.
Let's say your 100 percent correct. Still, do you think they should shape there PR around that? Brie spoke the truth, there is a lot of racial inequality in Hollywood and entertainment media. She had every right to call that out and having a company like marvel and Disney pandering to a white supremacist grouo is the last thing we want. Still doesn't excuse a shitty movie. Which I personally thought it was.

Nov 1, 2017
Omg no. Now I can never trust your opinion on any matter whatsoever. Next you'll be saying Redmaynes role in it was better than Theory of Everything.

Well Theory of Everything is trash. And so is Jupiter Ascending, but it knows it's trash. And I'm not a fan of Redmayne, I think he's way too hammy, but Jupiter Ascending is the only movie he's been in where that level of ham matches the movie around him.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the movie was better than I expected. I think probably right at the top for origin stories and better than Black Panther which I loved.

Love the regulars coming in to try and shit on the feel. Welcome to all the closeted incels who will despise the movie just because like Star Wars

Those with valid complaints all cool! Ya'll give reasons

Planning on watching it Saturday too just like all the other Marvel movies.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Really enjoyed it, except the first sequence should've been cut entirely and it should've opened on Earth. Best parts were Cap and Fury's buddy cop routine and Marvel remembering her past properly. Space stuff was fine.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a lot of fun watching it and despite how the reviews have been coming off, Brie Larson was great. The character is charming.
I think it's definitely an 8 out of 10.