• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you know what i find funny about the complains about carol being a deus ex machina?

tha nobody complained about Thor having stormbreaker as an upgrade.

like literally, if he could have forged stormbreaker on ragnarok,

Uh... What? Are you actually complaining about Thor's storyline in Infinity War? He lost everything. He was driven beyond despair to a place very few people ever come back from, where he was quite comfortable knowing he'd either kill Thanos or die trying, and we have no idea what's going on in his head now that he knows he failed. All that power and he still couldn't stop Thanos, who even gloated that he should've aimed for the head before disappearing. That sort of thing would be gnawing at him so bad.

Thor's storyline has been fantastic since Ragnarok. I don't even know how anyone could complain about that.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know anything about Captain Marvel going into this, I didn't know what her powers were.... I didn't watch any trailers or previews.

So I very much enjoyed the movie. Again it's an origin story right? So maybe some expected more because of the recent Avengers/Captain America action packed films.

Again I didn't read the Comics, so maybe others have higher expectations than myself.

Huddy

Feb 11, 2018
Pretty good movie this for an origins story, whilst not the best Marvel movie it kept me entertained throughout. Samuel Jackson was great and Brie Larson convinced as Captain Marvel, but the star of the movie for me was definately Goose.

Last edited:

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
Captain Marvel herself. As I said this is what I certainly least expected, and what actually worries me about the movie, and the ones to come. I thought Bree was nice enough as Carol Danvers, even thouhg she was a bit boring, and I didn't really connect to her. The thing is this could matter less if her as Captain Marvel was great, in the same way Cap's action skills make him awesome or Dr. Strange powers kind of make him seem less of a douchebag. And as I said I blame it on the little (and mainly bad) action the movie has. Her powerset is super lame for almost the whole movie (wooo blaster shooting arms!) and when she finally goes super saiyan it feels completely random and unearned, so I did't get the whole YESSS HERE WE GOO moment I normally get in superhero movies.

So the movie ends with this super powerful heroine that in my eyes is "undeserving" of such powers because the hero journey was kind of nothing. I don't mind low scale MCU movies (I actually welcome them, and I guess aliens and intergalactic travels doesn't really qualify as low scale, but somehow the movie felt like that), but maybe the most powerful MCU superhero needed a bit more meat to her origin story for me to really welcome her. As it is, when she stumbles into the Avengers in the mid-credits scene I felt as if she didn't belong there, and leaves me hoping she doesn't get to save the day in Endgame, unless she really earns it in that movie.

Wait, what?
Captain Marvel powering up felt random and undeserved? The scene where she rejects the Supreme Intelligence was a crux point for the movie, with tons of build up. In my viewing the majority of the audience cheered as she stood up and roped the little "governor" implant off and started kicking butt.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the movie, solid 9/10 for me. My wife said it was her favorite superhero movie, said she liked Captain Marvel much better than Wonder Woman both as a movie and as a character. I think it's my second favorite origin movie, I'd put Black Panther a bit ahead. Can't wait to see it a second time!

Edit: I don't understand any complaints about Captain Marvel as a character. She's that understated sarcastic with a smirk kind of character. Not everyone has to be boisterous, flamboyant, ultra serious, or any of the other character types the MCU already has. She's actually my real life favorite personality type to hang out with, so I really appreciated the character.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I liked this, but it was definitely the most basic superhero movie among the Marvel movies, I'd say.
But nothing too crazy, I'd say it falls in the lower middle area of the MCU pack.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
Thought it was decent. Not as good as recent films like IW, T:R and BP but not as bad as AM&tW or GotG2.

As I've watched Agents of Shield the 'twist' wasn't a surprise to me. I also wish we got more time with Carol and her life before she got her powers.

It was cool to finally see the Skrulls.

Overall an OK but interesting movie that was surprisingly funny at times.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it. Goose and SLJ were awesome. Brie Larson was ok but a bit flat. My girlfriend loved the movie and the cinema really loved it too. People were cheering and laughing and really excited to see her return for Endgame.

Who on here said that a man saves her at the end? Nothing even remotely close happened to that.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the movie and it was awesome. Brie was great in it and I liked also the "political" message of it.

As somebody who never read the comics and had no idea who Captain Marvel is, the first part of the movie was actually very interesting, I like discovering who she is at the same time with the character.

I think I will stop reading movie impressions from people because it makes me really think less about most of them. The post-youtubers world, that lacks any subtlety or mystery and in which everything must be explained clearly in the movie or else, really sucks.

Great movie, I liked it a lot, including the mid-credits scene. Bring on the Endgame now!

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Wait, what?
Captain Marvel powering up felt random and undeserved? The scene where she rejects the Supreme Intelligence was a crux point for the movie, with tons of build up. In my viewing the majority of the audience cheered as she stood up and roped the little "governor" implant off and started kicking butt.

To me it was.

Even though the Supreme Intelligence had it's build up, it still felt as if she just took the implant off and that was it. It didn't help that the "yes I am human" and the clips of her getting up after falling was a bit jarring and cheesy for my liking. Also I did't really get why she was connected at that moment to the Supreme Intelligence. Maybe I missed something, I guess it was for it to convince her of staying with the kree? Still they could have just taken her, but they needed the power up moment then and there; for me it felt forced. But mainly I think my grip with it comes from what I talked about her being too powerful; she went from 10 to 10000000 and destroyed a whole spaceship like it was nothing. I guess that's the way it is with her powers, but I just didn't buy it. Wished I had! I still trust that I will like the Russo version of her and her powers much more, though.

PD: I forgot to add in all this mix that I absolutely hated the
mohawk space helmet (don't watch trailers for movies I know I'm watching so I don't know if this is a spoiler), it looked hideous!! :X .
I hope it is gone for good or at least reworked.

Last edited:

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
To get the bad out the way, I thought the action was extremely weak. Also, Brie's acting was a little stiff.

I liked just about everything else though.
The Skrull twist was brilliant. The humor was on point. I have no idea where these anti-SJW snowflakes gets off saying this movie hates on men. I wish Coulson had a bigger role.

7.5/10

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really came away disappointed and bored. This and Thor 2 are easily my least favorite Marvel films.

Overall, I thought the script was incredibly weak, few of the quips struck me as funny, they overplayed the 90's nostalgia aspect, the villain was entirely forgettable, the entire cast and their delivery of the lines ranged from stilted to hammy, and the action was largely subpar.

Also, I really don't get the decision to turn Nick Fury – whose supposed to be one of the greatest soldiers to ever live – largely into goofy comic relief. The reveal of how he lost his eye is especially stupid.

Anyway, not a fan. This will be the first MCU film in ages I won't pick up. Not an unwatchable film by any means but after Ragnarok, BP and IW this feels like a massive step backwards.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
To me it was.

Even though the Supreme Intelligence had it's build up, it still felt as if she just took the implant off and that was it. It didn't help that the "yes I am human" and the clips of her getting up after falling was a bit jarring and cheesy for my liking. Also I did't really get why she was connected at that moment to the Supreme Intelligence. Maybe I missed something, I guess it was for it to convince her of staying with the kree? Still they could have just taken her, but they needed the power up moment then and there; for me it felt forced. But mainly I think my grip with it comes from what I talked about her being too powerful; she went from 10 to 10000000 and destroyed a whole spaceship like it was nothing. I guess that's the way it is with her powers, but I just didn't buy it. Wished I had! I still trust that I will like the Russo version of her and her powers much more, though.

But she didn't "just take it off"? She was shown to be struggling with the restraints they put her in, they show her realizing that the implant is restricting her power and then finally overcoming them to remove the implant. All of the cheesy standing up clips were part of what made that moment not random, the movie built up to that point. Communing with the Supreme Intellegence was demonstrated on Hala as a measure to steer and correct people starting from Kree ideals. We see Vers being sent there after her sparring match where she gives in to her emotions and uses her powers. In the "power up" scene we are discussing she is connecting again as a punishment/rebuke to try to bring her back in line. Finally, I would say that Captain Marvel was never a "10" on the power scale and is shown to be super powerful during the entire movie. Talos specifically mentions how powerful she was when recounting how she made short work of his men when escaping. Sure, it was still a huge jump in power, but it made sense as an escalation of what had already been demonstrated.

All that said, I get that it may not be to your taste. I mean, I would give the movie a 7.5 out of 10, maybe an 8, I just don't follow those lines of criticism.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night. It's not bad, but out of all the Marvel films, this one feels to me to be the most "by the numbers" in terms of having a particular visual and textual identity.

I laughed a lot, though. I might be completely burned out on Marvel quipfests, but this movie definitely got me laughing more than my fair share, so props for that.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
To me it was.

The point of Yon-Rogg and the Supreme Intelligence are one and the same. The movie explains that Carol has had her strength all along, but Supreme Intelligence and Yon-Rogg give her the false narrative that they gave her that power and that they can take it away at any time. What's more, Yon-Rogg discourages her from utilizing her strength to the fullest, calling relying on it "emotional" and praising detachment as the real strength instead. The gaslighting serves as a point.

All this parallels real life patriarchy, which suppresses the power that women have so to control them. The Supreme Commander appearing as a figure most admired by the soldier being communicated with, Yon-Rogg being a "nurturing", trusted figure are deliberate choices. Often figures of power, admiration and nurturers like teachers and fathers are complicit in directly or unknowingly forcing women to remain subservient in their gender roles and to "stay in their lane", so to speak. They convince women that they can't do things or what their ideal actions should be, but the patriarchy doesn't say it's ideal for them.

The sequence of Carol standing up after being knocked down at different points of her life is her saying "fuck off" to said patriarchy. Her father was mad as hell that she got into the go-kart with the boys, rather than being concerned for her safety after she literally smoked them. The army boys mocked her and told her she would never be a pilot. Supreme Intelligence told her that her power came from the Kree and she wouldn't be shit without them.

Her purging the restriction mechanism? That's her saying fuck off. She realized that she had done it throughout all her life and this is no different. That's what makes the moment earned. She learned to trust herself after realizing that she has always been strong.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I liked this much more than I thought I would. Low expectations based on the lukewarm impressions I read may have helped.

Carol definitely has a ton of room to grow as a character (amnesia in an origin story really leaves little room for strong characterization), but I still enjoyed what we got from her in this. She's less quippy than the other Avengers (which isn't a bad thing), but still has a sense of humour and is much less stoic than I thought she would be based on the first trailer. All in all, it's a decent foundation for a new star of the MCU. I just hope the next film gives her a character flaw. She's a bit too perfect atm.

Other thoughts:
  • Talos was a highlight, and I hope he we see more of him. He had some great lines.
  • It was awesome to have Fury in a leading role for once. It's been said a lot, but the de-aging tech is incredible.
  • The action choreography was pretty meh overall, and Carol's blows don't have a lot of weight to them.
  • The 90's jokes mostly landed for me, but were very corny.
  • The origin of Fury's missing eye was fun.
  • The Stan Lee intro was super touching.
  • "I'm Just a Girl" was a super on-the-nose music choice that took me out of the scene.
  • Carol being the inspiration for the 'Avengers Initiative' in function as well as name already makes her feel like an OG member.
I really hope that Captain Marvel doesn't become the main instrument of Thanos' defeat. It would feel pretty unearned for her to roll in and fix everything imo, and it would also be super lame to sideline the original Avengers we've been watching fight this battle for a decade. I have faith that the Russo's won't do this, but based on this movie I'm not really sure what her role could be in Endgame other than to just beat Thanos up.

It's a mid-tier Marvel movie. 10th or 11th place for me. 7.5/10

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I'm confused, they mentioned they were 24 hours from earth in the other planet. The closest star is 4 light years. So somehow there a distance of 24 hour so between earth and the other solar system. So they are already faster than light. And throughout this universe it has been shown that they can travel between systems within hours. So why is a light speed engine important?
even though they were talking about 24 hours from a jump point in that instance still nothing regarding speed and distance makes sense

oh they're going to different galaxies? oh thank God they have a light speed engine in that case it will only take *checks watch* 2 million years for the nearest one

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
even though they were talking about 24 hours from a jump point in that instance still nothing regarding speed and distance makes sense

oh they're going to different galaxies? oh thank God they have a light speed engine in that case it will only take *checks watch* 2 million years for the nearest one
Lmao

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a lot... My wife loved it, maybe not quite as much as Wonder Woman, but really loved both of them. Spoilers for more details and random comments.

When Carol told Yon-Rogg that she didn't need to prove herself to him, that was a huge moment for her. Also the idea that emotions are strength, not weakness.

Other comments:

I said going in that I generally think of Kree as bad guys, so the movie might be weird. That worked itself out, of course. But then we didn't get to see any really evil Skrulls in turn.

Movie had a lot more Fury than I expected. He was great.

I already liked Brie Larson before this, and thought she was great. I don't get the criticism of her.

Action was indeed mostly lame, apart from the first chase on Earth.

Didn't realize we'd be getting the Supreme Intelligence, and that was cool. But then if they were going to do more Kree mythos, I would have liked them to dig into the Kree's long relationship with Earth, the Sentry, etc. I guess that could all be in the next movie.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
yeah yeah, there is always a reason why the boys did it, but there is never reason enough for the girls for doing it

Ok hold on here.

Opinions against why I felt the way I did about the film are one thing, but I never once mentioned the fact that the hero is a woman or inferred that I disliked the film because of it.

Don't you dare bring sexism into this because it had zero to do with what I felt the films flaws were.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The point of Yon-Rogg and the Supreme Intelligence are one and the same. The movie explains that Carol has had her strength all along, but Supreme Intelligence and Yon-Rogg give her the false narrative that they gave her that power and that they can take it away at any time. What's more, Yon-Rogg discourages her from utilizing her strength to the fullest, calling relying on it "emotional" and praising detachment as the real strength instead. The gaslighting serves as a point.

All this parallels real life patriarchy, which suppresses the power that women have so to control them. The Supreme Commander appearing as a figure most admired by the soldier being communicated with, Yon-Rogg being a "nurturing", trusted figure are deliberate choices. Often figures of power, admiration and nurturers like teachers and fathers are complicit in directly or unknowingly forcing women to remain subservient in their gender roles and to "stay in their lane", so to speak. They convince women that they can't do things or what their ideal actions should be, but the patriarchy doesn't say it's ideal for them.

The sequence of Carol standing up after being knocked down at different points of her life is her saying "fuck off" to said patriarchy. Her father was mad as hell that she got into the go-kart with the boys, rather than being concerned for her safety after she literally smoked them. The army boys mocked her and told her she would never be a pilot. Supreme Intelligence told her that her power came from the Kree and she wouldn't be shit without them.

Her purging the restriction mechanism? That's her saying fuck off. She realized that she had done it throughout all her life and this is no different. That's what makes the moment earned. She learned to trust herself after realizing that she has always been strong.
That is great analysis, that put into words why it felt so empowering to me.

Cubo

May 14, 2018
But she didn't "just take it off"? She was shown to be struggling with the restraints they put her in, they show her realizing that the implant is restricting her power and then finally overcoming them to remove the implant. All of the cheesy standing up clips were part of what made that moment not random, the movie built up to that point. Communing with the Supreme Intellegence was demonstrated on Hala as a measure to steer and correct people starting from Kree ideals. We see Vers being sent there after her sparring match where she gives in to her emotions and uses her powers. In the "power up" scene we are discussing she is connecting again as a punishment/rebuke to try to bring her back in line. Finally, I would say that Captain Marvel was never a "10" on the power scale and is shown to be super powerful during the entire movie. Talos specifically mentions how powerful she was when recounting how she made short work of his men when escaping. Sure, it was still a huge jump in power, but it made sense as an escalation of what had already been demonstrated.

All that said, I get that it may not be to your taste. I mean, I would give the movie a 7.5 out of 10, maybe an 8, I just don't follow those lines of criticism.

Ok, random wasn't a good choice of words, it's true, let me change it for "easy". Most of your points are valid, but I didn't get the impression that she was THAT powerful during the movie, for me it was too big of an escalation, as you say. Maybe in a second view with her powers assumed it flows better for me.
Anyway, this criticisms are a way of rationaliting, or even just questioning the reasons why I didn't like the movie as much as I hoped for. In the end is just a matter of how I felt in the cinema, I never got the "I'm having SO much fun!!" that I was looking for when I go see a MCU movie, and I guess the reasons are a sum of these little nitpicks I had..

Nice read!
I kind of see all these things, and even if they are a bit too on the nose (I really could have done without the standing up clips) without really being explicit about them I understand it is important for them to be there. But even then, I still feel that it was too easy for her to overcome her power restritions / patriarchy and gain full control of her powers so quickly. Which may be the actual point, I `m thinking now that we are talking about it. How truly easy is it? Is it easier than it seems (from my male point of view)? Is it actually easier than also a woman could think, you just have to take courage and say "fuck off"? Or is it really a hard thing to overcome, somewhat heroic? Hmm I'll think about, I actually like that angle and will watch from it when I see it again. Thanks! :P

This discussion also made me change my previous wording of her "powering-up" to her just "empowering", much better suited in this case.

Last edited:

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Just got out, and I loved it. I think it's definitely one of the better origin movie in MCU. The space part of the story has great music and the spaceships has this weight to it which I enjoyed so much. I wish there were more of that. While the Carol's journey doesn't stray much from the usual formula, the storytelling style in the first half really pulled me in in wanting to know her background. The twist and turns on the well known elements from the comic is also a welcome change and felt earned. I disagree on anyone saying the cinematography/direction of this movie felt generic. Alot of the earth stuff has that grounded, 90's and indie feel to it.

The only wrinkle on the whole thing is that one scene where "I'm just a girl" starts playing. Definitely felt like it was goof or continuity error.
because there's a jukebox during that scene in the background. I think it was supposed to show Carol knock someone over to the said jukebox and the song starts playing.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Her growling back at the Skrull was what won me over.

Me too. There are plenty of things that felt clunky in this movie, but there were too many moments like that which won me over. Everything with Goose, the banter between the Kree soldiers, and Mendelsohn crushing every scene...

...while under all that Star Trek: DS9 makeup, lol

I also love this movie for bringing back Djimon Honsou to do *anything*, but the MCU continues to squander him.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
just came back and i really liked the film, 8 for me but it seemed a bit dark in places so im glad i didnt see it in 3d. i liked the humour, the characters and the story overall but the lack of decent villain lets it down slightly but thats an mcu problem not just this films problem.

A_Dang

Oct 27, 2017
Western New York
Ok, random wasn't a good choice of words, it's true, let me change it for "easy". Most of your points are valid, but I didn't get the impression that she was THAT powerful during the movie, for me it was too big of an escalation, as you say. Maybe in a second view with her powers assumed it flows better for me.
Anyway, this criticisms are a way of rationaliting, or even just questioning the reasons why I didn't like the movie as much as I hoped for. In the end is just a matter of how I felt in the cinema, I never got the "I'm having SO much fun!!" that I was looking for when I go see a MCU movie, and I guess the reasons are a sum of these little nitpicks I had..

This discussion also made me change my previous wording of her "powering-up" to her just "empowering", much better suited in this case.

I get where you are coming from! I saw your criticism and they came across as being the opposite of mine, which is why I was originally super confused.
I felt that her "empowering" moment was a little too telegraphed and obvious, which is really what you are saying now too it seems. For me the "I'm having so much fun" moment was her going all out with her powers, which I think is what the director would have been going for with the ham-fisted "I'm Just A Girl" song selection. The movie lands in the 7.5 range for me by having each of its high moments having some little nitpick like that.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Loved it. The movie has some feminist messaging for sure and I can see why it pisses off the manbabies. Which is great in my book.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uh... What? Are you actually complaining about Thor's storyline in Infinity War? He lost everything. He was driven beyond despair to a place very few people ever come back from, where he was quite comfortable knowing he'd either kill Thanos or die trying, and we have no idea what's going on in his head now that he knows he failed. All that power and he still couldn't stop Thanos, who even gloated that he should've aimed for the head before disappearing. That sort of thing would be gnawing at him so bad.

Thor's storyline has been fantastic since Ragnarok. I don't even know how anyone could complain about that.

nothing of what you said has anything to do with him pulling an upgrade out of his ass tho.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
A lot of fun, some awesome moments but never quite reaches the new bar set by Infinity War, Thor Ragnarok or the Guardians movies. Felt like a Phase 1 Marvel movie. Here's my breakdown:

- Nonlinear narrative robbed us of character development

- Not enough time spent in her past or learning what drives Carol as a character

- Scenes fly by that need more time to cook

- a couple unnecessary prequel-style "and that's where this came from" cheeky moments

+ I really liked Brie Larson. She deserves better dialogue because she can carry the role and has some awesome little quirks

+ Supporting cast was excellent, especially Lashana Lynch

+ Lynch's big scene between her and Larson was genuinely moving, she's excellent

+ Great chemistry between Carol and Fury

+ A twist that may piss off long time Marvel fans worked extremely well

+ MOST of the 90's songs fit nicely

+ Goose is a hero

+ Final act really lifted me after feeling a little underwhelmed with the first hour

+ That final moment with Jude Law

+ The Endgame stinger

I feel like Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel deserved more than a quick recap-style film to prepare people for Avengers. I would like see it again and my hope is that a sequel will be given more time to breathe (look at Winter Soldier after the first Cap America movie).

What I did love was noticing women in the theater pumping their fists or whispering "yes" when Captain Marvel powered up towards the end. I was reminded of reacting to Goku going Super Saiyan for the first time. It was really awesome to see and made me realize that this movie is probably going to have a greater long term positive impact than just being "another Marvel movie".

Can't wait to see what the Russos do with her character. Now where is my Squirrel Girl movie?

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
I wish we got more fight choreography scenes like we got in the beginning when she wanted to spar with Yon Ragg. Brie Larson was fine as Captain Marvel. But at times it was cringy. And I don't blame that on Brie, but the director. That scene when she did her best version of "Let me see your war face" right back at the Skrull, was horrendous. You see certain scenes like that with Nick Fury as well with some of the humor ones. Talos, Monica and the cat were the highlights for me in the film. As I said, I wish we had better choreography with the action, especially when she was using her powers.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Am I the only one here who loves the non-linear narrative? I thought that was such a refreshing aspect of this film.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I saw the movie last night and loved it. It has some flaws but I think it's really fantastic regardless. It should be critiqued of course and people online have brought some great points. But I gotta say that some "critiques" are transparent and clearly garbage. Those people's agenda is clear as day.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
is-it-though-5c4d2b.jpg

Yes.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
One of the better MCU movies, no doubt. Carol could easily become a favourite character of mine I think, she's great. A worthy successor to Tony as the group's leader.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Here we go era, sitting in the theater watching the trailers.

See you on the other side. Hopefully with both eyes intact.